Your first and last collector car

First car purchased was a 1951 Crosley station wagon in 1978, still own it today.  Last car... not sure I have room for anymore.  😂   Maybe a 1955 Packard Caribbean convertible???

PXL_20210325_004643925.jpg

PXL_20210325_003116726.jpg

PXL_20210325_004613041.jpg

PXL_20220824_160947149.jpg

PXL_20220824_161003310.jpg

PXL_20231202_174447298.jpg

PXL_20231202_174433604.jpg

• Like 3

My first collector car, and also the very first car I held title to, was a ‘31 Chevy.  (The first car I bought but titled in my dad’s name and still have, was a ‘70 Chevelle).  My “holy grail” would be a 1940 Buick convertible sedan (phaeton).  I have it, and it ain’t goin anywhere!

• Like 1

I consider myself quite fortunate in this regard. 1st Generation Rivieras have been my hobby cars, never felt the urge to deviate and continue to find the next one that "rings my bell".

Have the few specialty tools one might require and the spare parts (most of the time). Prices for the parts I don't have but need are getting rather prohibitive. It was a lot more fun and carefree when it was cheaper. 

Still, They really are the ultimate hobby car for me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My first collector car was purchased off the back row of a used car lot for $100. in 1960 while I was still in high school. It ran well and was reliable while I owned it. All original except for the 6 ply 7.50x16 black wall truck tires, probably installed during WWll. It was a 1936 Cadillac Fleetwood 4-door sedan, like the one pictured below. I sold it to finance a '33 Ford Cabriolet. Neither were daily drivers as I always had a '50's Ford or Chevy for school and work transportation.

Now, 65 years later my collector cars are a Buick Wildcat convertible, purchased and then refurbished 6 years ago, and our '69 Mustang convertible, my wedding present to my wife of 49 years. There are others, but these two won't be leaving before I do.

Not mine, but it brings back memories...

1936 Cadillac Series 60 five passenger four door | Proxibid

Edited by Dave Wells (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

My first collector car was my daily driver for many years.

It was a 1964 Malibu SS Convertible 327/4 speed car.

I then added a 1978 Corvette Silver Anniversary L82/4 speed to the mix before I bought a modern car so I wouldn't have to drive those two as often.

Not sure what my bucket list car is, far too many at this point.

If I had to choose it would be a Pierce Arrow or Rickenbacker roadster.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain could be considered as a collector car,it would be my first.My ultimate car to own would be a 1949-1953 Hudson Hornet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1957 Buick Special.  Currently in the paint shop but once it's done I plan to drive it regularly.

What was it John Getty said when asked how much money is enough?  "Just a little more."  It wouldn't matter how many I had, there would always be another one.   I did recently pick up one I had been looking for, a Mercedes-Benz 450SLC.   Seized engine but very nice cosmetically.  

B0F706AC-A97D-454A-BDCF-DD440B60996D.thumb.jpeg.0a31e878a486a73c9c3c0b0ca831b413.jpeg

450ext.jpg

450int.jpg

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Still have my first car. My primer red, 1931 Dodge Brothers 2-passenger coupe. Still unfinished. My last collector car is this dark blue and black 1931 Dodge Brothers 2-passenger coupe.

1467489_10201964512253365_1450239591_n.jpg

post-37352-143137999621.jpg

• Like 8

On 5/1/2024 at 4:08 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

What was your first collector car, that is, the first car that was not pure transportation? And is there a car you consider the "holy grail" that if you were to get one, would never want anything more?

I don't have a holy grail, as I figure all classic cars are great, and there's a certain commonality to owning them. You could have any classic car and it would "scratch the itch" of having one.  And once you starting thinking of what ideally you would like, there is always something else you could have that would be amazing and different.  That's how my car brain works, anyway.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 4:08 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

What was your first collector car, that is, the first car that was not pure transportation? And is there a car you consider the "holy grail" that if you were to get one, would never want anything more?

My holy grail antique car would be a 1919-31 L29 Cord cabriolet. If you mean newer holy grail, a first generation Dodge Viper would be my choice. All I have of one is a seat I made from the front end parts....probably all I will EVER have of one. 

L29 Cord.jpg

IMG_7739.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

On 5/1/2024 at 7:08 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

My 1958 MGA is the first vehicle I ever purchased solely with the notion that it was a "collector" car. Everything else I had owned up to that point were primarily transportation, although a lot of them turned out to be collector cars after the fact. If I had to pick just one as my holy grail, I've always had a yen for a Jaguar XKE Series 1 convertible. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:08 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

What was your first collector car, that is, the first car that was not pure transportation?

I always thought of my '59 Chevy Apache as my first "old" car/truck, even though the cars I owned before it would be considered old/collectible today. It was the first '50's era vehicle I owned, and I thought that was cool back then (in the late '70's.)I used it for everyday transportation, though, so I guess it wouldn't fit Rusty's definition of collector car.

The first car I bought as a purely secondary vehicle (i.e. for no other reason than I was interested in it) was this '68 Dodge Charger project, probably. This is the one I paid $87.50 for...and my brother went in half with me (also paid $87.50) for a total of $175.

We never did anything with it. Ran and drove, barely. I think that motorcycle in the pic might've been my 750 Kawasaki twin, which I enjoyed owning a lot more than the Charger.

And is there a car you consider the "holy grail" that if you were to get one, would never want anything more?

I've totally lost interest in acquiring more old cars. I'm selling my '65 T-Bird project and won't be looking to replace it. If I could find a nice Avanti in my price range, I might be persuaded to pick it up, but I think "nice" and "in my price range" might be mutually exclusive.

Scan_20240502 (2).jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

While I’ve owned 100+ vintage cars, including 20+ (all drivable) I had simultaneously at one time, I’ve never considered any of them as a “collector” cars or myself as a “collector” of them.

2 hours ago, TTR said:

While I’ve owned 100+ vintage cars, including 20+ (all drivable) I had simultaneously at one time, I’ve never considered any of them as a “collector” cars or myself as a “collector” of them.

Just wondering what you, and maybe your neighbors, consider yourself?  A used car dealer? ...a harmless old coot? ...a demented, frustrated junk yard owner wanna-be?🙂🙃🙂

• Haha 2

Mt first collrctor car was a 1931 Model A tudor sedan back in 1966. The last collector car is a 1931 Auburn coupe.   There has been about 40 inbetween.

• Like 2

My first true collector car was a 56 Chevy 210 2 door sedan.  Every local kid was after this original owner car when I was in HS. Guy woukd tell people he would sell but always changed his mind.  Showed up with his $500 ask, no joy.  Finally sold to an older guy who didn't touch it.  I spotted it in his yard while responding to a classified ad for a 57 on the same street.  He had just been laid off so I gave him a grand for it.  Swapped it off when it was 90% restored.  2nd pic is poor, the colors were actually spot on.  Moving this one out is a regret.

Last?  Well I  really wanted an open prewar Packard so I have at least one "holy grail" car & I like our A and SL but there are still interesting cars out there.  I like 35 Pack's viewpoint on this...

20220622_160923.jpg

20220622_160843.jpg

20231216_145621.jpg

• Like 3

51486489857_327f54b15c_c.jpg2021-09-17_05-20-58 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

51487985094_532d4268ef_c.jpg2021-09-17_05-20-48 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

My first 'collector' car was a '57 190sl. Like mentioned above I like most 'old' cars and I cant think off hand of one in particular that I have 'lusted' over. There are some very nice cars but none that I am overly nuts about. Realistically I would love to have a 1983 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car. Unrealistically many dream cars could fill the garage mostly 16 cylinder models 😁 I have never been a corvette guy but as of late I have been considering liquidating and getting a c8 . Probably the only car that I can look at with a bit of enthusiasm.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

My first "collector" car was also my first car. I didn't get my license until I was 18 and don't come from a background where anyone was the slightest bit interested in cars other than as cheap transportation. My interest in old cars developed on its own with a some influence from a neighbor. By the time I'd saved enough to buy any car (the notion of my parents buying one for me was a fantasy) I really wanted an antique so I decided that the 20s were the most practical period (not particularly liking anything without a vertical radiator). Alerted to this car by a friend who met the owner in line at a muffler shop, I bought it...for literally all the money I had. I drove it everywhere I had to go because it was the only car I had. I put it away during the winter because I was at college but by the next year I realized that driving a largely unsorted, very original 1927 car wasn't all that practical so I bought a very cheap Corvair...

1926CADILLACINTEDSYARD.jpg.dbb5d6821c31d8b8bc1a502c0b074767.jpg

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Just wondering what you, and maybe your neighbors, consider yourself?  A used car dealer? ...a harmless old coot? ...a demented, frustrated junk yard owner wanna-be?🙂🙃🙂

Like I said, I have owned 100+ vintage cars in past 45 years and even one time (about 30 years ago) had 20+ in my name (half in Europe and half in California), but quickly realized I don’t have enough time nor money to properly maintain/own that many, but didn’t want to become one of those you refer as “demented, frustrated junk yard owner wanna-bes”  a.k.a. “hoarders” trying to identify themselves as “collectors”, so I got rid of all but couple which I still own and enjoy today.

I also made a living (+/-35 years ago) for about 4-5 years buying/selling/brokering (+/-1000) vintage cars, motorcycles, boats, trucks, parts, etc mainly supplying a demand in  Europe, so I guess that could qualify me as  "A used car dealer"(?).

Perhaps I (hopefully) qualify as "a harmless old coot" ?

So, other than supplying click-bait media stories by others on this and perhaps other forums, what are your personal experiences & history with “collector cars”  ? 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TTR said:

So, other than supplying click-bait media stories by others on this and perhaps other forums, what are your personal experiences & history with “collector cars”  ? 🙄

Well...you got me.

My true avocation is submitting click bait and minimally interesting posts to agitate and sometimes confuse the establishment.

Second to that are my frequent speaking engagements at a number if Ivy League Universities, then my board memberships and consultancies for a few Fortune Top 500 corporations. When I find time, I enjoy competing at Pebble Beach or Amelia Island with my latest restoration.

I don't really have the desire or knack for wrenching on old cars at this point. I just enjoy what others can accomplish.

Thanks for asking...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Second to that are my frequent speaking engagements at a number if Ivy League Universities, then my board memberships and consultancies for a few Fortune Top 500 corporations. When I find time, I enjoy competing at Pebble Beach or Amelia Island with my latest restoration.

Thanks for replying.

I think you’re being quite modest by not mentioning you accomplishments in space exploration, walking on water and turning it into wine while at it, etc. 😉

Posted (edited)

First was my 1953 Chevy 210 convertible project. Sold years ago when I bought my Brass era basket case project. Several  " holy grails " but virtually none I could afford these days.

One of my holy grails. A Vauxhall 30-98 " special " This one turned up at a local show a couple of weeks ago. I didn't even know it lived around here.  Bodywork is non original and the wheelbase has been shortened somewhat. Most of these fine cars have a sporting history going back decades and many have been modified similar to this . Perhaps a bit less valuable than a totally standard example, but still a very valuable and desirable car.

DSC_1004.JPG

DSC_1002.JPG

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 6:15 PM, 31Buick96S said:

My 1958 MGA is the first vehicle I ever purchased solely with the notion that it was a "collector" car. Everything else I had owned up to that point were primarily transportation, although a lot of them turned out to be collector cars after the fact. If I had to pick just one as my holy grail, I've always had a yen for a Jaguar XKE Series 1 convertible. 

For quite a few years , 1975 - early 1990's MGA's were my daily drivers. I guess the couple I still own are now in the collector car category. Mostly 1600 Mk 1's, but a MK  2 and a couple of 1500's over the years  as well.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t have any “Holy Grail” desires and I’m more than content or should I say happy with cars I currently have, but there are few I wouldn’t mind owning & assuming they’d be up to my expectations, driving.

I have no interest owning anything that I couldn’t drive/use as it was originally intended.

For example, while I can appreciate the coach work & engineering technologies and in some cases appearance of things like chauffeur driven cars or otherwise unpractical vehicles like "professional service" cars or trucks, etc, I have no interest in owning any.

To paraphrase E. Gilbertson“Cars are meant to be driven !”

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

On 5/2/2024 at 12:09 AM, keiser31 said:

Still have my first car. My primer red, 1931 Dodge Brothers 2-passenger coupe. Still unfinished. My last collector car is this dark blue and black 1931 Dodge Brothers 2-passenger coupe.

1467489_10201964512253365_1450239591_n.jpg

post-37352-143137999621.jpg

Keiser31 always inspired my with his story of his first car with pictures.

My first antique collector car was a 1934 Ford Tudor V8, which I restored and kept for 24 years.

My Holly Grail car was my 1934 Ford Phaeton V8

Which was replaced by another 1934 Ford Tudor V8

My final car may be our 1934 Ford Fordor V8.  They all toured the USA with me at the wheel.

The other 111 cars all had interesting stories and lives while they  were owned by me.

I don't think these cars caused my white hair either, but maybe some of the adventures!

1972 Tudor.jpg

34 Tudor.jpg

Before the 87 Race.jpg

PhaetonEstate3.jpg

Spring flowers.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1