The difference between 32’ and ‘32

When a car is described as ‘32, it’s supposed to be an abbreviation of 1932.  Note the position of the apostrophe.  Like a 1932 Packard.

IMG_3589.webp.dcbbd982da03318a91e5ee21d85cdb26.webp

On the other hand something described as a 32’ means it’s 32 ft long. Like a 32 ft yacht.

IMG_3588.jpeg.adeb6b937a4c78efd6aefbb5e6594252.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Exactly, Gary, and it's good of you to point it out.

And the explanation will especially help our foreign

friends on the forum.

I remember learning in school that an apostrophe

takes the place of letters (or numbers) that have been

removed.

For example:

-- doesn't eliminates the letter o in place of does not.

-- fishin'  is informal slurred speech for the word fishing.

-- A nor'easter is a strong storm that means northeaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

True. While technically accurate, the intent is pure. 
language is a dynamic media. Listen to today’s youth. 

similar to folks using ‘motor’ when meaning ‘engine’. A car has an engine - but technically only if a gaseous, liquid or solid fossil fuel Is used. Teslas have motors not engines. 

tomato, tomaato. Potato, potaato- let’s call the whole thing off! A cool tune! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grimy said:

Let me add my teeth-grinder: people who abbreviate "cylinder" as "cly," e.g., a "6-cly" DeSoto.     CLY-inder????

Ok, straying off topic a bit but my pet peeve is the 20 something at the register in a store saying “Have a good one!”

A good one what? I’m supposing they mean have a good day. Both “one” and day have three letters so it isn’t any grammatical shortcut to say what you mean, Have a good day! Or Have a nice day!

Don’t know why but it makes my muscles cramp hearing it. But if that’s the worst thing in my day, I suppose I’m lucky!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heard once that knowing proper grammar is not pointing it out when its improperly used!

I dont know nothin so I will will tap out. (Actually double negatives are my big pet peeve!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tcslr said:

tomato, tomaato. Potato, potaato- let’s call the whole thing off! 

I get right specifically to the point and order French Fries with Ketchup!

Craig

• Haha 1

In a few years, this will be the "Y2K" discussion/description for vintage and newer cars for surviving makes that lasted over 100 years.  

Is your '14 Cadillac a two door or a four door?

Craig

• Like 1

Within a few years, we're (short for we are!) going to have to deal with the new century and figure out a script to differentiate 2015 from 1915. Somehow '015 and '915 doesn't work. While the short version '15 may work for cars (and people) because of obvious looks, for many items like furniture, not so easy. As for those up here in Canada (and most of the civilized world), 32' is just over 9.75M!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

As for those up here in Canada (and most of the civilized world), 32' is just over 9.75M!

Alas, it should be 9.75 m.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

While your at it, my pet peeve is,   Where are you at?    It becoming so common, but it still annoys me.   Like the license tag on

our 1935 Buick is XXXV, and people ask me if that means it's X Rated?

• Like 3

another is using 'ect.' instead of 'etc.', which is an abbreviation for etcetera

or using 'lead' when the person means 'led', the past tense of a situation: "he led his troops to victory"

It's really become a problem in many news articles.

2 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

which is an abbreviation for etcetera

Errr.... Ahh.... I think you must mean et cetera.

And so ends today's lesson in grammar, pronunciation, abbreviation ect, ect, ect.

Tomorrow we will cover syntax and spelling............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Errr.... Ahh.... I think you must mean et cetera.

And so ends today's lesson in grammar, pronunciation, abbreviation ect, ect, ect,......................Bob

Oops ... you are correct, and I should have remembered that from Latin over 50 years ago! I was trying to emphasize the 'etc' and got carried away.  😄

Edited by Jim Skelly (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just now, Jim Skelly said:

oops ... you are correct and I should have remembered that from Latin over 50 years ago! 

an abbreviation for the Latin phrase “et cetera.” In Latin, “et” means “and.” The word “cetera” means “the rest.”

No disrespect intended and In all fairness I copied and pasted the above from Google. ..............Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

an abbreviation for the Latin phrase “et cetera.” In Latin, “et” means “and.” The word “cetera” means “the rest.”

"Et Cetera" sounds like a Cadillac model name.

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As editor, I've seen them all. My wife bought me a button that says "I'm silently correcting your grammar." That kind of shut me up. I tend to correct much less, now (outside of the magazine)

All of the above, plus....

Expecially

Concourse

LeMans (in reference to the race)

Camero

El Dorado

Belair

Carman (Ghia)

pick up

year of the car, followed  by its color (ie 1966 Black Mustang)

marquee

body styles capitalized (along with a plethora of other non-proper nouns)

renig (instead of renege)

chomping (at the bit), vs champing

peaked (instead of piqued)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I tend to correct much less, now (outside of the magazine).

Please don't stop correcting.  Just do it courteously.

We can all learn from others' knowledge--whether it be

automobile body styles, grammar, or any other subject.

For my whole life, I've been learning from others, and I'm

grateful to know people who know more than I.

I myself have been guilty of doing that exact thing in the past, putting the apostrophe in the wrong place. I’m sure if I went back and looked at all my posts I did it hundreds of times. I was impolitely corrected by someone for it too. Then I thought, did that apostrophe’s location make my posts information any less informative? Did it truly offend anyone? Would the proper location of that apostrophe have changed the content. I realized that it really didn’t matter as EVERYONE knew what was meant, but some simply find the need to correct others as petty as it might be. I do realize the person who impolitely corrected me had less class than a fourth grader and way less than me even though HIS grammar was correct on the apostrophe! We are a country of immigrants and many things get lost in translation but in most cases, no matter how poorly a language might be attempted, the right thing most do is interpret the effort to the correct meaning without pettiness.
     What concerns me way more, and should concern people here more than an apostrophes location is the so called “experts” or those lauded by others here as “experts” who give incorrect information. Then, even more of a concern is those same “experts “ who are unwilling to admit their errors or continue with those same incorrect statements. Where someone puts the apostrophe in relation to meaning an abbreviation of the complete year in the wrong place doesn’t phase me one bit because I know their intended meaning and I really don’t see the point wasting my time worrying about it, nor will I waste more of my time correcting them. I don’t sweat the little things nor “get off” on correcting others. I don’t believe most posting here are looking for a literary award but mainly looking to share something, whether it be a question or a statement. 
     When I first started in this old car hobby I found out pretty quickly the very good all the way to the very bad in people. There are people willing to take the shirt from their own back to help you the there are others going to the nines trying to steal a car you’re trying to buy right out from under you. When I started posting on the forums I found little helpful knowledge so as I researched and did more to gain real world experience, I’d post information. I would often read PMs sent to me about how when people asked for help or posted a question, because of their lack of knowledge, they were ridiculed rather than helped and that my posts helped them learn. These “new” people are right because I’ve seen it way too often. I’ve made hundreds of posts and have done many long, detailed restoration threads to help others but I’ve backed way off these days because of these types of things. 
     I realize that my above statements aren’t going to make me friends with some but I’ve never been one to not let my honor and beliefs lead me. This is a car forum and not an English class to the majority here. Sorry, I can’t waste my time correcting someone especially when I knew what they meant from the start.

• Thanks 1

I was an English teacher by profession and one term always bothered me:  2 door coupe.  Doesn't the term coupe mean 2 door by definition?  But the proudest moment that I had as an English teacher was when my students said "Mr. Capralis, we want to thank you for teaching us to talk good English".  

• Haha 2

Up here in the hills a '32 means one of them there 5 window ford coupes.

Conversation goes, Got me a '32 5 winder. Gots a 350 cheby with a 9" ford posi. Hurst 4 speed tranny. Holly 4 barrel n crager sliks. Custem paint N leather cow hide seats. I prefers Holsteins fer cattle. Them Jerseys is fine but they aint milkin like a Holstein. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Haha 6

40 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Up here in the hills a '32 means one of them there 5 window ford coupes.

Conversation goes, Got me a '32 5 winder. Gots a 350 cheby with a 9" ford posi. Hurst 4 speed tranny. Holly 4 barrel n crager sliks. Custem paint N leather cow hide seats. I prefers Holsteins fer cattle. Them Jerseys is fine but they aint milkin like a Holstein. 

Does that’32 have a tar arn in it? Zeke

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, marcapra said:

I was an English teacher by profession and one term always bothered me:  2 door coupe.  Doesn't the term coupe mean 2 door by definition?  But the proudest moment that I had as an English teacher was when my students said "Mr. Capralis, we want to thank you for teaching us to talk good English".  

Usually a 'coupe' has little or no rear seat space, or no rear seat at all like a 'business coupe'.   A two door 'sedan' has a fully usable rear seat. 

This thread discusses a close-coupled coupe vs. a sedan:

Craig

On 3/20/2024 at 1:10 AM, marcapra said:

When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

IMG_0705.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:10 PM, marcapra said:

There is nothing in the word derivation of coup to suggest the number of doors. It is simply derived from the French word for cut.

On 3/20/2024 at 10:56 AM, West Peterson said:

As editor, I've seen them all. My wife bought me a button that says "I'm silently correcting your grammar." That kind of shut me up. I tend to correct much less, now (outside of the magazine)

All of the above, plus....

Expecially

Concourse

LeMans (in reference to the race)

Camero

El Dorado

Belair

Carman (Ghia)

pick up

year of the car, followed  by its color (ie 1966 Black Mustang)

marquee

body styles capitalized (along with a plethora of other non-proper nouns)

renig (instead of renege)

chomping (at the bit), vs champing

peaked (instead of piqued)

Add to that - 

Using phased instead of fazed.

'Should of' instead of 'should have'.

An acquaintance who has spent time in real estate still thinks a single building is a premise.

• Like 1