1938 Buick Ambulance...price??

mriley1

Hello! I'm looking to establish a good sales price for a restored 1938 Buick Ambulance. It is mostly original and even comes with a period correct stretcher, bags, and other miscellaneous items. I have found it almost impossible to gauge a price because there are just none of these around. Thanks!

Screenshot_20231212-075946.png

Screenshot_20231212-075948.png

Screenshot_20231212-075951.png

Screenshot_20231212-075957.png

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mriley1 said:

it is mostly original

Please note what is not original, your statement leaves a lot of people wondering what isn't original including me. Perhaps edit your post or ask for help to do so to eliminate all the black boxes that note a photo number but is not there? I am not being critical just trying to see you have a cleaner post and be clearer about the car.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)

Mriley. Welcome to the AACA Forum.

Just because there aren't many 1938 Buick ambulances, doesn't mean that its value is much different than any other ambulance from the same period. I'd Google "1938 ambulance for sale" and see what comes up. Then, check 1937... and 1939... then 1940. The value will be in the same ballpark no matter what manufacturer built it. 

• Like 2

There is a very secretive things about prices with most of these old car guys. They usually won't tell you how much they sold one for or how much they paid for one. They will go through some comical antics to avoid telling.

The best you will get is some armchair speculation.

Here is a link to a similar one: https://topclassiccarsforsale.com/buick/679836-nice-1938-buick-ambulance.html

Looks like a raised cowl Flexible build. They put 4" height into the cowl for more headroom.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 61polara said:

It appears to be the same vehicle. 

Sure does, Still no price.

Not so long ago I had a vehicle that I was under water in.

I kicked the sand and sold it on eBay with no reserve.

Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

• Like 6

ALL collector vehicles are a narrow specialty for appraisals. Military vehicles, hearses and ambulances, much more so than anything else is! Authenticity, provenance, correctness of restoration, all play a big role in their value! Rarity does not make a big difference in value for vehicles that by their very nature are already rare!

One could be the best Buick late 1930s ambulance on the planet? Finding a hundred collectors anywhere in the world that can afford the car for anywhere near what the restoration cost would be very difficult!

"Professional cars" and military vehicles truly appeal to a very limited spectrum of the antique automobile hobby. And most of the people that would love to have one frankly cannot afford to buy or keep one if they had to pay even half of what it should be worth.

It would be helpful to know whether the OP is looking to sell or buy? Advice needs to be skewed to reflect future issues if the OP is seriously interested in buying it? Or point out the disadvantages of hanging on too long hoping for that "one" person to come to buy it if trying to sell it? Just reality.

• Like 3

Car is for sale here in CT.  Good to see the seller is open on price as I think the current listing at $38k is somewhat optomistic but it is an interesting car.  Few of these seem to show up in nice condition.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I look at real estate a lot (residential and commercial).  One thing I like about it is the ability to somewhat ignore "asking price" or "list price".  You can typically find out at what price did the home/land/building change hands.  That is the true assesment of worth, where buyer and seller met and agreed on the value and the sale was made.  

so many people in pricing a car look at the usual suspects for listing (Hemmings, Ebay buy it now, etc......). Those prices may be relevant, but there are a lot of dreamers out there. Auctions frequently list the sale price and that is helpful (although there are games being played in that method of selling as well).  

I see so many cars for sale with unrealistic prices.  That same car sits forever, still listed, at a price no one will pay.  Don't let that guide you in trying to figure out a fair price.  look at the sold price for the most accurate gauge of market value.  

As for this car, goodluck, there are probably few comps.

Surely there is an old ambulance retired guy who would fall in love with it at the right price......you only need one of those guys to move it along.

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

I think that the first question that needs to be asked when someone is asking about a price is whether they are buying or selling.

Why would that matter ?

I’ve always been under the impression that the only worthwhile assessments or opinions about a price (or value) of anything, be it a used car, half eaten potato or real estate, are those of a seller & buyer agreeing to that particular transaction.
All other “opinions”, be they expressed here or elsewhere, are just idle & pointless speculation at best.

Or what am I missing ? 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TTR said:

Why would that matter ?

I’ve always been under the impression that the only worthwhile assessments or opinions about a price (or value) of anything, be it a used car, half eaten potato or real estate, are those of a seller & buyer agreeing to that particular transaction.
All other “opinions”, be they expressed here or elsewhere, are just idle & pointless speculation at best.

Or what am I missing ? 🤔

What you are missing is that I'm not inclined to put much effort in to helping someone that is just trying to flip a car.   On the other hand, if poster actually owns the car and is looking for real advice I might help.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TTR said:

Why would that matter ?

Or what am I missing ? 🤔

Also,  some opinions are worth more than others.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Also,  some opinions are worth more than others.

So based on THAT, what would yours be on this particular Buick price if OP is attempting to buy it ?

Or attempting to sell it ?

Simple dollar figures will suffice, since that's what I believe OP is interested in.

P.S. In my "opinion" it's worth nothing to me, but to someone else, perhaps something.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Car is for sale here in CT.  Good to see the seller is open on price as I think the current listing at $38k is somewhat optomistic but it is an interesting car.  Few of these seem to show up in nice condition.  

I a bit confused by your comment. The link that I found it on showed it to be in Florida with no price listed. If it is for sale in CT, can you post a link to it?

I sort of like it, being a Pre-War Buick guy who also spent time on a rescue squad many years ago and who has actually owned and driven a hearse. 

From what I see, it was most likely built by Flxible as a hearse, or possibly a combination car to be used as both. The "Rescue" labels are not period correct to the vehcle. The black sidemount cover would have been on a black car originally, so the car's color was probably changed when it was decided to semi-restore it as an ambulance. The exposed siren was not designed for outside mounting, it would have been somewhere in the engine compartment if original to 1938. Sirens designed for exterior mounting would have been much more decorative and all chrome. The sealed beam conversion of the headlights is also not that unusual, but not period correct. That is the first thing that I would change if I owned the car. My best guess is that it was a well preserved low mileage hearse that was repainted and accessorized to attempt to convert it into an ambulance by someone who wanted an old ambulance that is a bit more socially acceptable to most people than an old hearse would be. The 1961 hearse that I previously owned was repainted from it's original black color to be used as a backup ambulance by a Rescue Squad for a few years before I owned it in 1976, so this one is certainly not the first one to have a color change to turn it into an ambulance.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@MCHinson Hi Matt. Listed in Broad Brook CT a bit north of Hartford.  New price today. 😊

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1010879893436044/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Pics look like our neck of the woods...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I a bit confused by your comment. The link that I found it on showed it to be in Florida with no price listed. If it is for sale in CT, can you post a link to it?

I sort of like it, being a Pre-War Buick guy who also spent time on a rescue squad many years ago and who has actually owned and driven a hearse. 

From what I see, it was most likely built by Flxible as a hearse, or possibly a combination car to be used as both. The "Rescue" labels are not period correct to the vehcle. The black sidemount cover would have been on a black car originally, so the car's color was probably changed when it was decided to semi-restore it as an ambulance. The exposed siren was not designed for outside mounting, it would have been somewhere in the engine compartment if original to 1938. Sirens designed for exterior mounting would have been much more decorative and all chrome. The sealed beam conversion of the headlights is also not that unusual, but not period correct. That is the first thing that I would change if I owned the car. My best guess is that it was a well preserved low mileage hearse that was repainted and accessorized to attempt to convert it into an ambulance by someone who wanted an old ambulance that is a bit more socially acceptable to most people than an old hearse would be. The 1961 hearse that I previously owned was repainted from it's original black color to be used as a backup ambulance by a Rescue Squad for a few years before I owned it in 1976, so this one is certainly not the first one to have a color change to turn it into an ambulance.  

As someone that knows nothing about either type of vehicle, my first impression looking at it was that it looked more like a hearse to me than an ambulance. Looking at the pics on the FB posting, the interior looks ok but not great, overall the car itself does look very nice, would make a nice edition to someones garage.

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

According to whom?

Ben

I would value the opinion of someone who is into this type of vehicle way more than some random stamp collector who wants to put in his 2 cents worth.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TTR said:

So based on THAT, what would yours be on this particular Buick price if OP is attempting to buy it ?

Or attempting to sell it ?

Simple dollar figures will suffice, since that's what I believe OP is interested in.

P.S. In my "opinion" it's worth nothing to me, but to someone else, perhaps something.

And more importantly, as I initially inquired, why would some random persons opinion regarding a price (or value ?) of something, let’s say a car or a gallon of milk, be different whether someone else (another random stranger ?) is selling or buying it ?

28 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

@MCHinson Hi Matt. Listed in Broad Brook CT a bit north of Hartford.  New price today. 😊

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1010879893436044/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Pics look like our neck of the woods...

Thanks.

That interior looks a bit worse in those photos. I always worry about cars being "sold" in multiple geographic locations on the internet. Perhaps the Florida website listing is where the CT buyer bought it. I also forgot to mention earlier that whoever had the car repainted chose to paint the bumpers black rather than rechroming them, another red flag to me. I think the price is very optimistic, but it is interesting, possibly a little more interesting if it had just been left as an original black "survivor" hearse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the car in question was originally an ambulance, would the rear compartment have been covered in so much cloth all around?

I would think it would have been covered in something that was easy to wipe down should bodily fluids come in contact with the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTR said:

And more importantly, as I initially inquired, why would some random persons opinion regarding a price (or value ?) of something, let’s say a car or a gallon of milk, be different whether someone else (another random stranger ?) is selling or buying it ?

Are you directing this to the original poster?  He is the one asking a bunch of guys he doesn't know. 

I know most of the regular posters on this board so they are not anonymous to me.  But then again,  my question was "Why is the original poster asking?".

• Like 2

The interior in maroon mohair pretty loudly says hearse.  In the Facebook pictures, there appears to be a seat in the rear compartment which would suggest it was/is a combination car, meaning it could be used as either a hearse or an ambulance.  The seats could be folded into the floor if it was being used as an hearse.  Apparently that was common in smaller towns where the local funeral parlor would also provide ambulance service.  Bear in mind that at the time an ambulance was more a way to transport someone lying on a gurney than what we think of as an ambulance today.  

The Professional Car Society is the place to advertise that, since the market is pretty specialized.  In my experience, most cars look worse in person than in pictures, so I suspect that car is somewhat rough.  

• Like 3

My thought is the more context put into a question the better quality the responses could be.

I agree with AJ's sentiment that helping a potential hobbyist buy or perhaps an heir to sell than a flipper to speculate may make some more apt to respond.

Also, while one never knows for sure, how many one and done posters never even respond after folks share opinions or guidance.  More context might provide a comfort level the OP might actually be back at some point.

Bear in mind a constructive conversation may stray a bit for a seller or buyer.  "Oh yeah, I know these old vettes.  Look for stress cracks at..." or "best to get Uncle Joe's Model A running, or a lot of buyers may just skip your listing"...

This intro wasn't horrible but see where the value add is with that..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Are you directing this to the original poster? 

No and with all due respect, that was directed at the comment you made.

I’m just curious about the reasoning as to why your (or anyone’s) opinion on price/value would be different whether OP (or anyone else for that matter) is a buyer or a seller and how much that difference would be, respectively ?

1 hour ago, TTR said:

No and with all due respect, that was directed at the comment you made.

I’m just curious about the reasoning as to why your (or anyone’s) opinion on price/value would be different whether OP (or anyone else for that matter) is a buyer or a seller and how much that difference would be, respectively ?

This all started because I posted that these value requests from new members with one or two posts should indicate if they own the car.    I want to know so I don't bother helping a flipper.    You seem to have created the notion that my opinion might be different based on that information.   Whatever I think of the value of the car would be the same regardless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

This all started because I posted that these value requests from new members with one or two posts should indicate if they own the car.    I want to know so I don't bother helping a flipper.    You seem to have created the notion that my opinion might be different based on that information.   Whatever I think of the value of the car would be the same regardless.

OK then, but that's what your initial comment seemed to imply, at least to me, there being (in your view ?) some kind of difference for the price/value depending on whether one is buying or selling.

Maybe I just perceive/read/see things differently (wouldn't be the first nor likely the last time) and was truly just curious.

No big deal, I hope. 

Friends again ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

48 hours or so later.  OP has not had too much to say about advice. Actually nothing... Anyone want to put lunch on another "one and done" interaction here? 

I guess it is no big deal but these drive bys are not different than a flipper looking for quick free advice imho.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, alsancle said:

I want to know so I don't bother helping a flipper.   

I flip a car every now and then. My Dad used to do it back in the '50s and '60s. I don't pass them on to another flipper to exploit someone with. I always price them outside the range of the flipper so the person who gets it really appreciates the car.

Sometimes I suffer a little extra mark up but it's for the sake of the car's future, not greed.

• Haha 2

I tried to stop awhile ago responding to one time posters. Not trying to be rude, and not that I have anything better to do if  I am already on the forum, but If they cant at least make a response then why bother entertaining their thread. I gave a one'sh time poster some info through a pm about a service he was wanting done. I bothered a few people outside of the forum along the way, asking for permission to pass on their info to someone etc. etc. Crickets.................. Thats when I decided to stop being so voluntery. Recently I broke my rule by giving out more info than necessary and again crickets..................... When someone offers help or advice at least be polite and give out a thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I flip a car every now and then. My Dad used to do it back in the '50s and '60s. I don't pass them on to another flipper to exploit someone with. I always price them outside the range of the flipper so the person who gets it really appreciates the car.

Sometimes I suffer a little extra mark up but it's for the sake of the car's future, not greed.

I don’t even mind the flipping part of it. Sometimes they’re actually performing a service. It’s the sneakiness that usually accompanies these first time posters that rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 2

I have no problem at all with flippers. Theyre just trying to make a buck. Isnt that the American way? I only wish I could make a living playing with cars. The way my world works, I would buy a car for 500 try to flip for 1000 and end up paying 2000 to get rid of it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2