The "I thought I had heard everything" thread for today

carbking

This is from my previous life- crime scene tape up around the scene of a residence, road closed, the usual stuff, I'm standing guard at a point

Joe Blow walks up to me - What's going on?

Me- We are investigating a homicide

Joe Blow - So how is he?

Me - He's dead

• Haha 2

In regards to the original topic of the thread...it's probably about one of two things. Most likely is money, and spending as little as possible. 

The second option, which I could see more on the replacement windows especially, is the desire to only use original parts over recreations, even if the latter is superior. 

13 hours ago, RansomEli said:

I forget who said this first, but it's a great observation:

The world is divided into two categories: 

1. Countries that use the metric system.
  2. Countries that have gone to the moon.

Well, there was this...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/news/a28632/the-dumb-mistake-that-doomed-a-mars-probe-in-1999/

18 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Um, none? Oh, you said people, not electricians following the rule. 😉  First, turn off the power. If that is not an option, then suit up for the arc flash. Lots of tools and hands slip, not just slotted ones. 

BTW, combination head screws have been the norm for electrical goods here for many years. Some slotted/phillips but most now are slotted/square (Robertson, Scrulox) combinations. I can tell relative age of equipment by the screws involved. 🦃 🦃🍲🍲

In the wood construction industry they like square/phillips or Torx head screws. 🦃 🦃 🍲 🍠

You beat me to it Frank! 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:30 AM, 8E45E said:

Me too!  GM and Ford have required both SAE AND Metric sets of tools to work on them for years now.

Craig

Not to mention influx of vintage car parts manufactured the second largest economy of the world featuring hardware combining both.

Just a few weeks ago I disassembled a replacement/reproduction brake master cylinder for a nearly 70 year old American car. It was assembled with bolts having SAE threads while the heads required metric wrenches and this "trend" has become more and more common within past decade or two. 🤬

And again, I blame my own generation, i.e. "baby boomers" for all this. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

A young girl who was apprenticing short term in my friend Rich Wood’s shop briefly has a passion for cars which I absolutely love, but she is a teenager and not good enough to sand her neighbors car. She don’t do a great job (sanded too much of the metal etc, but it’s ok, because he’s letting her paint it!  My friend has it in the shop right now and I asked him if he was nuts letting this girl do this, as the owner has no clue what a shoddy job she did. Rich said it wasn’t his problem. He’s just letting them use the space. I said you can’t let that poor car end its historic life this way!!!! I almost cried, but if this neighbor is so clue less then he deserves it…but that car doesn’t!  🥺

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7555.jpeg

IMG_7553.jpeg

6 hours ago, TTR said:

SAE threads while the heads required metric wrenches

The metric hex bar is probably a lot easier to find than inch and fractional sizes and they are too lazy to mill the hex from round bar.

Just an aside - a immigrant with a rudimentary grasp on English couldn't understand that once you chop a tree down you then proceed to chop it up! Took some explaining.

Steve

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hook said:

All cars and motorcycles throughout the world from the early 1900's have used metric threads and still do!        SPARKPLUGS!!

Well, some early jobs used pipe threads.

15 million Model T Fords used 1/2" NPT threads. :)

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 6:30 AM, hook said:

All cars and motorcycles throughout the world from the early 1900's have used metric threads and still do!        SPARKPLUGS!!

Well, some early jobs used pipe threads.

The SAE standard thread size was 7/8-18 at least until the 20s.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, AzBob said:

15 million Model T Fords used 1/2" NPT threads. :)

Yea they did. That was so if a plug broke you could carve down the end of a corn cob, shove a wire thru it, screw it in and continue on!! hahaha.

Also many cars used the 7/8-18 SAE threaded plug as JV Puleo mentioned. But they lasted well into the thirties.

Edited by hook (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

has anybody ever noticed Mc Donalds kids happy meal toys.......have triangle screw heads

Well, that is so the kids do not unscrew them and choke on the small parts!

No problem for me, I have lots of those "security" bit and electronic servicing tool sets, ... cough....choke....😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2023 at 9:18 PM, 3macboys said:

This is from my previous life- crime scene tape up around the scene of a residence, road closed, the usual stuff, I'm standing guard at a point

Joe Blow walks up to me - What's going on?

Me- We are investigating a homicide

Joe Blow - So how is he?

Me - He's dead

Similar from the time I volunteered as a Firefighter/EMT. We responded to a MVA, car struck a building and went through an exterior wall, car also parked atop a now flattened gas meter that of course is spewing natural gas, can’t get to it until we get the car off the carnage and have the city gas crew figure out what to do. Police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, city trucks all with multiple flashing lights warning the citizens of what could get real ugly real quick.

So, we’re readying the front winch, readying  three charged 1 1/2” lines that once we are given the signal will open up and hope to eliminate any sparking that is sure to occur. Of course the air is full of natural gas. 

Just as the cable is tensing and my Officer is getting ready to say “open lines” two guys, one with a cigarette in hand walk to my left in the street says to the other”You smell gas?”

• Haha 3

That reminds me of one time digging footers. It was in a town that supplied gas to the buildings with underground lines. The gas co. by pure coincidence was working on a connection. All of the sudden we heard a loud hiss, the gas guys scrambling in all directions. One came over told us they had a leak and to be still for a few minutes. One of the laborers sat along the side of the ditch and pulled out his cig. pack! DUH. AND this was an addition to the fire department!!

yes true ...im not totally serious in my statement lol........the kitchen was electric .......and i wonder how they managed all the contacts and components to be spark protected etc......even just something as simple as static electricity........did they say "sorry kid ...no rubbing that balloon on your sweater......dam !.....keep your kid under control mam......gonna kill us all ! "

• Haha 1

I was helping a neighbor yesterday with a Pontiac hot rod he had recently inherited.

We surmised that it needed a fuel pump.

He was told that it was a 389, but he had done some research and found it to be a 400.

I don't think that matters, but we went into the local NAPA and laid it on the counter and the neighbor said "I need one of these for a 400 Pontiac, lets pretend its a 1968".

So the guy gets into his computer and finds a 68 Pontiac, of course he needed a model so neighbor says, "make it a GTO".

The guy finds the GTO on the computer and says "OK, I am kind of new here, what is that?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Metric has a couple of meanings. Years ago I was an HVAC controls mechanic. Our computers handled digital control and analog control was still in the pneumatic versions. The control of systems was done by my instrumentation shop.

I got a "Too hot" call one day from a secured product development area. At the time we had badges with various colored stripes indicating our security clearance. I arrived at a secured door that was opened by an area manager and told him I was from the instrument group. He hurriedly ushered me to a conference room, sat me down, and began briefing me in great detail about the project. At the end of the 20 minute presentation he asked if I had any questions. I asked "Where is the conference room that is too hot?" He was really shocked. "Aren't you from the metrology lab?" he gasped. (Metrics) "No, the HVAC Instrument shop". "Oh, well you have just been cleared for the project. Let me update your badge. Please don't mention this. I will show you the hot room." We became good friends.

When I got back to the shop someone noticed the array of colored stripes and said it looked like I had more clearance than Colby Chandler, CEO of Kodak at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When CDs for music were first coming out, I stopped by the local shop where a young lady was standing at the counter. I asked her if she had either the Beatle's Blue or Red Albums. She went back to look and  returned asking if the White Album would do.

Couple years ago I stopped in the local Auto Zone to pickup a 6v battery for my 8N Ford.  Of course they asked for what so I told them and they looked at me dumb founded so I say ok I'll take one for a Crosley, same look.  I asked If anyone older was working there. A fellow came over laughing and he said he would bring one out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, zipdang said:

When CDs for music were first coming out, I stopped by the local shop where a young lady was standing at the counter. I asked her if she had either the Beatle's Blue or Red Albums. She went back to look and  returned asking if the White Album would do.

An excellent comeback on her part!!

Not one of those albums were officially titled by the predominant color on the cover.   The "white album" is simply self-titled, 'The Beatles', while the "red" and "blue" albums were early and later 'greatest hits' compilations.  

Craig

• Like 1