"PROJECT" has now become nearly unaffordable to ever do ?

arcticbuicks

Yes, let's stay on topic please. Sometimes typed words can be taken the wrong way and a phone call or face-to-face discussion clears up many "mis-understandings". 

I do a lot of buying and selling to help support my old car hobby, and like @Highlander160 can get steamed when someone suggests I am just in it for profit or am ripping someone off. In my heart I know that I try hard to be fair when buying or selling and once expenses are paid and the work is done, it is much more about the hobby and doing it because I enjoy it than is it for profit. I know there are guys out there that seemingly try to get rich on every sale they make, but that is not the attitude of all of us that do this.

If it weren't for people like me, Hershey swap meet would just be a big empty parking lot every October.

Edited by pkhammer
misspelling (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'll bring it back around. Yes, there are many cars that as a whole would be currently cost prohibitive to bring back to new. Certainly there are better ways to make money than collector cars but that doesn't take away the asset value down the road. If you're looking for a long term "finally got one" car then start with the best you can find. Try to avoid full body restoration on a generic 2dr HT, that is unless you have some weld, fab, body work skill you wanna use. Pay up a bit more now and set aside concerns about expense. I said earlier let he without a lease car cast the 1st stone. Even if today you're $5,000 over current market on a car you just finished you gotta ask yourself if you're selling it next month, keeping it for an unspecified time, or if it's indeed forever. In the last 2 asks it will return your cost at a minimum or the longer you own it might be worth more. Nothing new does that, right? 

Like a good street race, ya gotta pick your spots or you'll get busted🤭 Ok, not like a street race, a little of my past was showing. But you get it tho, yes? Also, seek help. No not an head shrinker (sometimes maybe) but do some networking and find the guys who know the cars you like. See who's got what, where the part stash is, best artisans that may be less commercial in their endeavors. And unless the gotta-have-its hit super hard take your time. YOUR restoration means you know what you have. Done means at some level you called the bet and hope it was done as it should be. Only YOU know what that's worth to YOU. Sometimes it's priceless. Good luck, all is well, and spend it. You deserve it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Read through this meandering thread and while this is not news to anyone I would say the rising costs are part of the equation but so is the vehicle and the amount of work one is willing to do themselves.

A visit to our projects section has a few epic threads that follow start to finish.  

A relatively popular and simple car like a Ford A or T, or an early MG or TR share basic elements of simplicity, well documented, supported and are physically smaller, all beneficial to the restorer.  The trade off is you won't have a one of three or Full Classic when you are done.

I think if it was unusual, upmarket or expensive when new expect restoration costs to match.

Time is another factor.  My guess is if one asked @JV Puleo what his time line is maybe the response would be "ongoing".  A project of that magnitude is beyond my skills, time committment desires etc. But you have to admire that. 

I notice some time lines on cars I mention above seem to run 5 to 8 years (ballpark) so 20+ on an early RR certainly seems reasonable.  Actual cost is probably hard to quantify but I get it is not cheap.

I am no expert but given experience based info I can tell you within rounding errors what an A chassis and running gear costs to restore, something the  guy with an uncommon car, Full Classic, etc. will have a bigger challenge doing.  Still nice to see some taking these cars on at home.

On parts, if one is willing to hassle with everything involved in selling them they deserve some profit.  Not sure I get that issue.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Time is another factor.  My guess is if one asked @JV Puleo what his time line is maybe the response would be "ongoing".  A project of that magnitude is beyond my skills, time committment desires etc. But you have to admire that.

You are right. I'd originally thought my car would take 10 years. It's been 11 now but that doesn't include about 2 years of being distracted by other jobs (like rebuilding my mill) or the kitchen I'm currently working on. However, I think my purpose is unusual, if not unique for this forum. Beyond sharing technical information with like-minded enthusiasts, the social aspects of the old car world don't interest me...especially the desire to be "seen" by the general public. I've no interest in any of the local car shows...I'm not likely to be going on any tours and I don't own a trailer or even anything to pull it with if I did. For me, it's all about the challenge. I do like driving them and if I finish and still have the strength to do it I will go one one of my "adventures"...a long trip on back roads, probably alone and entirely reliant on my own skills to get where I'm going and back again.

Although it doesn't look it, my car is probably about 2/3 done. The difficult part will be assembling it because I can't do that in my shop and I don't have a garage. I do have a foundation so before I can put the car back together I'll have to build one. None of this makes any sense if the goal was to make money and leads me to being slightly hostile to idea that a "hobby" needs to be profitable.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, automaschinewerks said:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/peterborough/1928-durant/1679235776

after running through what ive spent on the dictator since i bought it, i'm starting to see the point where many people say it's cheaper to buy a car that's finished and ready to drive.

but this??!!

Easy one - "Honest dear, I am advertising it but no one seems interested.  I think we are stuck"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 11/22/2023 at 3:45 PM, JV Puleo said:

You are right. I'd originally thought my car would take 10 years. It's been 11 now but that doesn't include about 2 years of being distracted by other jobs (like rebuilding my mill) or the kitchen I'm currently working on. However, I think my purpose is unusual, if not unique for this forum. Beyond sharing technical information with like-minded enthusiasts, the social aspects of the old car world don't interest me...especially the desire to be "seen" by the general public. I've no interest in any of the local car shows...I'm not likely to be going on any tours and I don't own a trailer or even anything to pull it with if I did. For me, it's all about the challenge. I do like driving them and if I finish and still have the strength to do it I will go one one of my "adventures"...a long trip on back roads, probably alone and entirely reliant on my own skills to get where I'm going and back again.

Although it doesn't look it, my car is probably about 2/3 done. The difficult part will be assembling it because I can't do that in my shop and I don't have a garage. I do have a foundation so before I can put the car back together I'll have to build one. None of this makes any sense if the goal was to make money and leads me to being slightly hostile to idea that a "hobby" needs to be profitable.

I too started with this attitude (not that there is anything wrong with it). I am a lifelong woodworker. I was knee deep in building period furniture as a hobby. Everytime I started something my wife would say 'where are you going to put that?'. Finally decided to challenge myself a bit, took a wrecked jetta and rebuilt it. Had a bit of fun doing so. Then I decided to jump in with both feet. I wanted a trans am but the price for a decent running example was beyond my budget. I found a 'fixer upper' which ended up being a complete nut and bolt rotisserie restore. I even built my own rotisserie. Learned how to weld, do body work and paint along the way. Those were my main reasons to do so. When my brother walked into the garage and saw the body shell only sitting on a cart, his only comment "I sure hope you know how to put this thing back together" then he turned around and left. THAT was the inspiration I needed to finish the job at hand. Took about 5 years. I was not trying to impress anyone but personal enjoyment and something to keep my hands busy. I started going to every show there was. Got burned out with that, then just started driving the car. Joined AACA and started participating in DPC for something to do. Have never looked back. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Easy one - "Honest dear, I am advertising it but no one seems interested.  I think we are stuck"

There was a guy down the road with a buick wildcat. Sat out front with a 4 sale sign every summer for the past 4 or 5 years. I never stopped to see what the asking was but suspected this was his plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As you might have seen, I bought this project recently.  Will I make money with it? Impossible from the start,  because I don't want to sell. I love the body style, the brand and I feel I accumulated the knowledge and experience over the years to deal with the challenges. Maybe I fail, but then I have you guys here as support. I buy cars like this to have something to do and not to sit on the sofa all the time after work. To buy a finished car is boring to me. Honestly, I don't care so much about the economical sense of starting this project. It's a hobby! And it is about improving the car over time. It will not get worse while it is in my hands. I hope. 

img_8_1698211018723.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2023 at 7:14 PM, arcticbuicks said:

i no longer have a TV ......since the ones with rabbit ears and tin foil stopped picking up a signal

I remember back in the 60s my family having two 19-in black and white TVs, one set on top of the other. One the picture worked only, the other the sound worked only, had to change the channel with pliers! lol!🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 11/8/2023 at 7:14 PM, arcticbuicks said:

i no longer have a TV ......since the ones with rabbit ears and tin foil stopped picking up a signal

I remember back in the 60s my family having two 19-in black and white TVs, one set on top of the other. One the picture worked only, the other the sound worked only, had to change the channel with pliers! lol!🙂 But as far as back to the topic, if I ever end up with a restoration project again it'll be something I can complete myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Project math:

Running, rust free Model A roadster $11,000

Great engine, new cooling system, rebuilt carb and distributor, new tires needs most everything else mechanically.

55+ year old cosmetics

Sort car mechanically; 90% there - wiring harness and a couple small things remaining. Another $11,000 so far.

So $22,000 or realistically around $6 or 7k over invested if you will.  It will be ridicules with even a driver quality paint job; but that is the plan..

This vs. a car a pal has more or less ready to go that just dropped from $19k to $16k.  Figure $15k to buy.

Hmmm... 

But I would have missed out on all this fun.... 😉😁 (actually I do enjoy working on this car..)

20200111_160158.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

I remember back in the 60s my family having two 19-in black and white TVs, one set on top of the other. One the picture worked only, the other the sound worked only, had to change the channel with pliers! lol!🙂

To paraphrase from Back To The Future, Nobody has 2 tv's. LOL. We had a console tv in the family room, it was probably a 20" set and a small 13" portable in the kitchen. That was it. Now I have one in practically every room of my home!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

Will I make money with it? Impossible from the start,  because I don't want to sell.

When I get a car I don't want to sell I always get anxious requests to sell it. When I do come around to thinking of selling it for whatever reason every one of those people has crawled back into the cracks in the woodwork.

Even though the thought of never selling is their I have a new strategy. I divide my time and money equally between mechanical and cosmetic work. That much attention to the pretty, shiny stuff will get you a buyer and more money than ones that starts, steers, and stops as it should. Rubbing them down with a light coat of oil never hurt the sale of a project car either.

Think like a project buyer.

crowcollects.jpg.ff2ddc874853caff95b56fe719019531.jpg

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, automaschinewerks said:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/peterborough/1928-durant/1679235776

after running through what ive spent on the dictator since i bought it, i'm starting to see the point where many people say it's cheaper to buy a car that's finished and ready to drive.

but this??!!

84k invested and still missing a window crank - I can guess the shop that did the work and shame on both them and the appraiser.  If the owner just wanted to do that car for his own reasons that's one thing but it sure sounds like no one has been upfront and truthful with the poor fellow.  Of course that's in our dollars and not US so cut that by 25%

On 12/7/2023 at 11:15 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Even though the thought of nevselling is their I have a new strategy. I divide my time and money equally between mechanical and cosmetic work. Th

crowcollects.jpg.ff2ddc874853caff95b56fe719019531.jpg

You are so right!!! When I get into my garage I follow a similar strategy. Get one technical and one cosmetic thing done every evening I am there. The first gets you closer to the street,  the latter pleases your own eye and keeps your motivation high. Wonderful picture! 

Edited by Hans1965 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 11/9/2023 at 10:18 AM, Str8-8-Dave said:

Amen to price of restoration becoming unaffordable.  You can put your grand kids through Harvard Law School for the average price of a ground-up restoration... 

Hopefully, by the time a person can afford the amount of time the complete restoration, of a truly rare car, will take, the grandkids will have graduated Harvard Law School.

And, they can pay for it as a token of gratitude for you footing the bill to pay for their education.

Quid-pro-quo is not only great…..it is legal.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, 3macboys said:

84k invested and still missing a window crank

Nice if it also had a carpet and chrome verses paint on the bumpers. 

But restoring the car is one thing but remember the cost for keeping it on the road has also gone up drastically. The cost is even much greater here in Canada that you have to also consider. My new tires are in but I do not have them yet. Consider the cost of the 6 tires, shipping, brokerage fees, dollar exchange and tax = just over $6,000. I have been waiting over 2 years now so of course I will take them if I want to drive it

I bought a new brass rad for my 12 T from the Brass Works right before the pandemic at $1,200 for the rad and came to just over $2500 by the time I had it home. Now the cost of the rad alone is $1950. so it is going to get real expensive now.

These price increases are going to hurt the hobby.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Today I'm pricing out parts for a friend I'm helping "restore" his 1971 Mustang convertible. It was a half finished project we went to look at that an acquaintance of mine had for sale. Turned out to be a good solid project for dirt cheap. But now the search is on for the missing parts. He's not really happy about the prices so far. But he had fair warning ahead of time. Even I'm shocked at some of the price$ and lack of availability. He also has a 1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe that is totally roadworthy and didn't need anything when he bought it, so he's been lucky so far. Unlike myself he sticks with a car. I tend to get rid of them when the costs outstrip the fun after overspending and end up losing money. 

So my only answer to buying a project car for me is not buying anything that needs more work than the purchase price. Latest example= late 80's Camaro IROC Z-28 convertible thats been parked for more than a decade. I know most on here consider that far too new or cheesy to be bothered with. But it's not too far gone, parts are cheap, plentiful and locally available. Kinda like early 50's Ford's when I was starting out as a teenager!

deccars23 097.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My new tires came today by FedEx after a 2year 1 month wait.

I have to thank one of the posters here that offered me tires if I ever needed them. Thanks for the thoughtful offer again. 

I must say being a member here I find the guys are really helpful putting themselves out to help each other. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, arcticbuicks said:

i see in my profile i have "0" warnings......but cannot see how many warnings others have ..........how many does it take for a person to get banned on here ?

I’ve been banned a few times. My warnings are very high and permanent.  Peter is an understanding guy, really, in the final analysis.  

On 12/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, Ed Luddy said:

Today I'm pricing out parts for a friend I'm helping "restore" his 1971 Mustang convertible. It was a half finished project we went to look at that an acquaintance of mine had for sale. Turned out to be a good solid project for dirt cheap. But now the search is on for the missing parts. He's not really happy about the prices so far. But he had fair warning ahead of time. Even I'm shocked at some of the price$ and lack of availability. He also has a 1938 Chevrolet Master Deluxe that is totally roadworthy and didn't need anything when he bought it, so he's been lucky so far. Unlike myself he sticks with a car. I tend to get rid of them when the costs outstrip the fun after overspending and end up losing money. 

So my only answer to buying a project car for me is not buying anything that needs more work than the purchase price. Latest example= late 80's Camaro IROC Z-28 convertible thats been parked for more than a decade. I know most on here consider that far too new or cheesy to be bothered with. But it's not too far gone, parts are cheap, plentiful and locally available. Kinda like early 50's Ford's when I was starting out as a teenager!

deccars23 097.jpg

I don’t consider this era cheesy. This is how younger kids can get into the hobby but most want to modify and then get lost in the weeds.  

My 1st collector cars back in the 80s were a 76 Trans Am for $1000.  Wish I still had that right?!   Old trucks, and other uncool stuff.   

• Like 3

On 11/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, Ed Luddy said:

Having just sold my 3 old cars due to finances, time, storage, and mostly ambition I have no regrets. I still peruse the cars for sale ads everyday. But I'm done with project cars,............ at least until next week!!

Ed, correct.  I reached a point where I had had enough. Of losing money on abandoned finds. Lost time.  And just wore me down so I got into other hobbies.  

But it’s fun to look.  

• Like 1

I have in my hot little hands the receipt for a piece of  Easy-to-Weld 4130 Alloy Steel Round Tube 0.120" Wall Thickness, 3/4" OD, 6 Feet Long from McMaster Carr.   That would be $72.03 for the pipe and $37.77 for shipping for a grand total of $114.30

I understand the premium for McMaster Carr  and the long tube causes the shipping but that is a lot of money for a piece of pipe.   Extrapolate that across all the various costs of a project.   A little demoralizing to me...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I have in my hot little hands the receipt for a piece of  Easy-to-Weld 4130 Alloy Steel Round Tube 0.120" Wall Thickness, 3/4" OD, 6 Feet Long from McMaster Carr.   That would be $72.03 for the pipe and $37.77 for shipping for a grand total of $114.30

I understand the premium for McMaster Carr  and the long tube causes the shipping but that is a lot of money for a piece of pipe.   Extrapolate that across all the various costs of a project.   A little demoralizing to me...

I hear ya...........Nothing makes me feel more like an old curmudgeon than complaining about the cost of things, but I do it quite a bit.  The other day my wife and I went to a local place for breakfast, nothing too fancy, family owned, been going there for years.  We each had an omelet that came with your choice of fruit or potatoes, we split a side of bacon and each got a cup of coffee.  with a tip, it was 67 dollars.  I scratched my head.  In my mind it still should be maybe 30 dollars.  for 67 dollars I am still in the mindset of it being dinner and i had a beer or glass of wine with my entree.  I am in denial.  mentally stuck to what things were 20 years ago (my wardrobe is stuck there too)   I think for me, I have to  look at the whole thing differently.

As it relates to your pipe, I have to look at it as "the pipe costs a little over 1 1/2 times having breakfast with my wife".  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

I hear ya...........Nothing makes me feel more like an old curmudgeon than complaining about the cost of things, but I do it quite a bit.  The other day my wife and I went to a local place for breakfast, nothing too fancy, family owned, been going there for years.  We each had an omelet that came with your choice of fruit or potatoes, we split a side of bacon and each got a cup of coffee.  with a tip, it was 67 dollars.  I scratched my head.  In my mind it still should be maybe 30 dollars.  for 67 dollars I am still in the mindset of it being dinner and i had a beer or glass of wine with my entree.  I am in denial.  mentally stuck to what things were 20 years ago (my wardrobe is stuck there too)   I think for me, I have to  look at the whole thing differently.

As it relates to your pipe, I have to look at it as "the pipe costs a little over 1 1/2 times having breakfast with my wife".  

YOW! You need to move. I just had breakfast at my local diner. Two poached eggs, rye toast and about four coffee refills.....$4.61. It would have been a dollar more with home fries.................Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought things in the mid west would be cheaper than the PR of Maryland. Like Bhigdog, at my new favorite breakfast place, I can get 2 eggs, bacon, hash browns and bottomless coffee for $11.00. I spend more than that at WAWA for a coffee, breakfast sammy and hashbrown. I was going to jump in my vintage Trans Am (to keep the thread old car oriented) this morning and head out to get some nourishment but didnt make it. May hit there tomorrow now that I am thinking about it.

AJ, I am doing a job that requires a couple of pieces of ADA handrail. 2 lengths of 6' vinyl coated alum. pipe rail, and 4 return ends= in excess of $200.  Plus I had to travel 1-1/2 hrs round trip to get it as no one local had the parts in stock. And people wonder why home improvement costs so much.

I keep being reminded of an old car story that floats to the surface often. It is about a long term owner of a Model T Ford. The story goes that he bought it for $50 in 1948 when he was working in a gas station for 10 cents an hour.

Think about that. A 20+ year old car that someone worked 500 hours to pay for. In a regular 40 hour a week work year there are only about 2,000 hours. I generally look at things as hours worked and in my instance, plus windfalls. Most of my discerning life I have worked regular and had a couple of significant windfalls. Most of the time those windfalls have been the sale of someone's abandoned project or hoard of parts. That is what supports my hobby. After I got married I gave my wife all my earned income. That was at the ripe old age of 35 so I still have stuff from when I was wealthy. My hobby stuff is all funded from other hobby stuff.

I adapt. I will always have projects waiting. Large, small, no great sense of urgency,always there to comfort, "Nuthin' changes but the date"

BD46C2EC-CC3B-4AE4-B76B-AB23FDF8A89D.webp.dacfdd5670b4dba10933bb41b6410bf8.webp

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

YOW! You need to move. I just had breakfast at my local diner. Two poached eggs, rye toast and about four coffee refills.....$4.61. It would have been a dollar more with home fries.................Bob

We still meet for breakfast at Denny’s, and I feel no shame by ordering their $6.99 senior special, I don’t balk at taking my military discount, and I ask if there are any coupons on line I can use to further reduce the cost.

But, I can choose to eat at Denny’s, Applebees, Red lobster, or my own dinner table.

I can also choose whether or not to pay the $88.00, plus another $40.00 in shipping and “handling” to buy one, of the eight, hinges I need for a 90+ year old truck.

I can also decide whether or not my 90+ year old truck is even worth spending a hundred dollars for a single hinge to do nothing more than to (safely) hang a 90+ year old door.

My decision to pay the $100.00+ for the hinge does nothing less than remove my ability to be rewarded for my choice of selecting a old car hobby over spending time (on your dime) on a hospital ward, while rewarding the scalper with the ability to dine at Red Lobster rather than meeting me at Denny’s for breakfast.

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

Just now, Joe in Canada said:

Was thinking seeing my tires cost over $6,000 for the six of then I could maybe start a GoFundMe to help pay for them. Anyone want to be the first to kick it off??

Ya I did not think so!

You guys and your pricey tires!!   Choices you make.   Mine come right off the rack.  My choice. 

It's  a HOBBY.  Enjoy.

Ben

A few years back there was a posting on here for Go Fund Me to help rebuild the transmission to keep the Tuskegee Airman twin turbo '69 Buick Electra race car going.

I was the only person in the whole world who made a contribution. Just my opinion but I don't think you might want to retire with another plan.

The car was featured at our 2005 BCA Nationals in Batavia, NY.

I have always believed that the car hobby in general, will be experienced in different ways by different people. We will all participate in our own ways. The vintage car game is the same.  There are some that want a show winning car. They are willing to pay the money for a finished example, or willing to pay the money to restore the car under their direction. Others want to perform as much of the restoration as they can themselves. People's standards are different; there are show winners, amateur restoration efforts, presentable cars, survivors, and even beaters. It depends what you want, can live with, and be satisfied with.

I think that's the key, whatever the finished result is, it has to satisfy you. For me it's the older car found in good shape that can be detailed and touched up and be brought up to a presentable level. But that's just me, your requirements probably differ.

I agree that costs are astronomical for many of the services needed for restoration. I think that the whole "value equation" is something that we keep as an explanation to "outsiders" that are not involved in the hobby. If a car can sell for more than what it cost to restore it, or at least break even, that's something most of the general public can understand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Ed, correct.  I reached a point where I had had enough. Of losing money on abandoned finds. Lost time.  And just wore me down so I got into other hobbies.  

But it’s fun to look.  

I suppose a $80,000.00 Mercedes does impress the neighbors, but the benefit of impressing the neighbors must be weighed against the failure to impress your doctor when he reads your blood pressure right after you make a Mercedes payment.

It is questionable how any sane person could find pleasure in immersing themselves, sometimes knee deep, in a 90 year old collection of rat feces, rotted wood and fabric, sharp and rusted pieces of metal, each capable, and just waiting, to inflict a cut which may lead to blood poisoning, gangrene and amputation of the extremity.

Add the hope, and possibility, that the removal of crud and filth will allow access to a area which resembles a deep pit into which a incalculable amount of money my be tossed, and resold for penny’s on the dollar at your imminent estate sale. And, that small amount of windfall money,  being spent by the lazy son-in-law on Nintendo games, live video streaming and stale pizza.

Yep, better to buy low and sell high, flip that puppy and invest in off-shore bonds, or just go to the bar and get mind numbingly drunk, fall down, bust your skull, and die a remarkably bad death.

Or, accept the fact that a old car, truck, tractor, pedal car or bicycle does not need to be restored,  especially to the tune of to the $30,000.00 or $40,000.00 dollars in precious cash,  years of (if you despise doing it) work (🥺) and gallons of shed blood it will cost to restore it to its original new car value of a staggering $1700.00 plus change. 
Or, it can still be considered as a hobby, pursued because it is a chosen way to spend time and money……you heard correctly……I said spend and not invest time in a positive and, possibly productive way to spend the well earned, non-vocational, period of your life which sets aside the right to enjoy yourself over the requirement to measure up to the status quo, and meet the requirements of others.
Smell the exhaust, back off and realize that repairing a tire with a .70 cent patch, and enjoying the ride on a inflated tire is one heck of a lot more enjoyable than leaving a car on blocks, and griping because the new tires cost too much while it rusts and the engine seizes up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

You guys and your pricey tires!!   Choices you make.   Mine come right off the rack.  My choice. 

It's  a HOBBY.  Enjoy.

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

It's  a HOBBY.  Enjoy.

Ben

Gee Ben……I will post photos because if you don’t have a picture, it must not be true, of the tires I bought for my 1951 Plymouth Cambridge, and my latest 1929 Fargo Express panel projects.

It did take a Saturday drive between Tacoma, Washington and a little town in Southern Washington, probably less than 400 miles total, to pick up the tires for the Plymouth. 
The tires are six, period correct, white wall tires, with barely any mileage on them at all. The total cost of the tires, from the time I seen the ad on Facebook marketing until the Plymouth rolled out the driveway on the professionally mounted and balanced tires was less than $400.00.

The four, still in their protective wrapping, and in every way brand new tires for the Fargo were less than $375.00, including shipping.

In both instances I had the nearly extinct privilege of sharing time, and filling a need, with people who share my need to reinvigorate these old machines, and they too, find it impossible to verbalize the amount of pleasure we experience when a child gently strokes the Skinner Vacuum tank, and says………”Wow….that is really cool cool, What is it”…….and we know the next words out our mouth will indelibly change every thought the child may have for the remainder of their lives.

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

• Like 3