Falling in the garage alarm (It's hell to get old)

Leif in Calif

As a result of a recent incident in the garage, my family is after me to get some sort of gizmo that will alert them if I fall.

I think we've all seen the commercial "I've fallen and I can't get up!"...some of my friends now have smart watches that apparently can detect a fall and sent an alert to whom- ever (perhaps executor of your estate?) 

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of thing they'd like to share. My problem isn't balance, it's occasional near black-outs due to low blood pressure. 

I’ve often thought of this scenario.  Cell phone in pocket, but what if can’t get to it?  Interested to hear solutions.

I’m often horizontal on floor working under cars, so a level indicator no good!

These days, getting down on floor to work under car neccesitates a plan to get up again!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The trouble with vaso-vagal or arrythmia events are the unpredictable nature. Usually I keep a cell phone where I can reach or kick with my feet. I'd rather not roll over it. When I'm doing something really stupid in the garage, or leaning off the edge of the roof head-first with a rope tied to my ankle I've asked my kids to check on me in 5-10 minutes. Kids these days....the last time only one looked for me 35 minutes later. Well, better late than never.🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get an Alexa device or two or four from Amazon.  Put one in the garage, one in the house, one at the kids' place.  If you fall and can't get up, you can always say, "Alexa, drop in on the kitchen".  Then you can talk to someone in the house and yell for help.  This assumes you are conscious.  

The rest of the time, Alexa can play music or news in the garage for you.  Alexa can also look up data for you when your hands are too greasy to open a manual.  An Echo Show 5 has a 5.5 inch screen for only $50, but you can get an 8-inch or 15-inch device.

You can set up the devices, assuming your kids also have one, so that they can "drop in" on you and check your pulse by talking to you.  If you are still compos mentis, you can also chat with them by audio or video.  Alexa can also call 911 for you.

• Like 3

Only problem with Alexa and Siri, nothing’s private.  Mention anything which they can hear, ads on your social media will follow. We laugh about in our house, but it is intrusive.

I fear, as much as I cuss at things going awry in the garage, I’d be inundated with ads for fertilizer manure or trips to the Hoover Dam……

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

The proper quote is…”I’ve fallen and can’t reach my beer!”

Because of this, I always keep a can or two on the floor near the tires of the car I’m working on. A can or two near my floor Jack, one near the radio and of course a couple next to my tool box. Gotta be prepared! 🤪

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

Because of this, I always keep a can or two on the floor near the tires of the car I’m working on. A can or two near my floor Jack, one near the radio and of course a couple next to my tool box. Gotta be prepared! 🤪

But I like my beer cold..... That's a lot of small refrigerators. :lol:

I know what you  mean, David, I do not have a Siri or Facebook!

But, if it means surviving a fall, I would get Siri and still no Facebook. Then I would just deal with ads for what I just talked about popping up on some forums, or the Weather channel. 😉 🪡🚗 🛻🚄

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A few years ago a guy I know (since passed away) always wore bib overalls with a flip phone (good luck finding one today) stuck in the upper center pocket when working in his shop. Always handy and out of the way. 

As my smart phone, with the Otter Box protective case, is too big to comfortably put in a pocket I try to place my phone close to the floor in case something happens to me and I can't stand or reach up like if my phone is is on my workbench or a shelf.

Plus, I have a set time when I will be home, my shop is several miles away from home. If I am not home by then and haven't called saying a different time my wife will be calling or coming to look for me.

12 hours ago, trimacar said:

Only problem with Alexa and Siri, nothing’s private.  Mention anything which they can hear, ads on your social media will follow. We laugh about in our house, but it is intrusive.

I fear, as much as I cuss at things going awry in the garage, I’d be inundated with ads for fertilizer manure or trips to the Hoover Dam……

I've given up talking about ICBM launch codes so it's ok Alexa is listening to me.  😃

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, trimacar said:

I knew someone who's pet parrot interacted with Alexa!  

• Haha 2

My problem is that the fall would because by sudden lack of consciousness, and the worry would be wacking something solid in the process. 

Happened last year when I got up in the night. Fortunately I made  a gentle landing on the wooden floor, but I cleaned off the wife's vanity on the way down. It made it very difficult for her to get back to sleep. 

I was reading about smart watches last night...some do have a fall detection feature. 

Edited by Leif in Calif
miss spell (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Have a new iPhone? I had an fairly bad motorcycle accident in April. When I hit the ground my iPhone 14 immediately started blaring an alert that it detected an impact (from my fall, not a collision). When I couldn’t respond it immediately sent an alert and my GPS coordinates to the local emergency services and my wife (during phone set up you can name emergency contacts). Further, when I was being transported to the hospital and then airlifted to a trauma center it set my wife periodic GPS updates. Wife was scared but grateful to be made aware that I was being helped, and where I was. An expensive monitoring device, yes. But worth the peace of mind.

For the record, obviously I survived to whine about it, and yes, at nearly 70 I’m giving up riding. That is more painful than all my broken bones. Oh, and the bike is under repair (my son wants it). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Since I work alone in a shop……and shit happens, I have a panic button around my neck whenever I am in my work bay.  It’s tied into cameras and alerts neighbors across the street. I have almost used it just a few weeks ago when I had a huge fuel leak with a chance of a flash fire……..fortunately I called out to my phone and a neighbor came to my rescue otherwise I would have had to use it. Never thought I would want one(help call button) but now would never get under a lift or car without it. My 96 year old mother had one for 20 years and used it just two months ago when she hit the floor from a mild stroke. Cheap insurance……..mother got help instantly and thus is doing as well as can be expected. Just like a fire extinguisher…….it’s a basic and cheap safety device……….

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Get an Alexa device or two or four from Amazon.  Put one in the garage, one in the house, one at the kids' place.  If you fall and can't get up, you can always say, "Alexa, drop in on the kitchen".  Then you can talk to someone in the house and yell for help.  This assumes you are conscious.  

The rest of the time, Alexa can play music or news in the garage for you.  Alexa can also look up data for you when your hands are too greasy to open a manual.  An Echo Show 5 has a 5.5 inch screen for only $50, but you can get an 8-inch or 15-inch device.

You can set up the devices, assuming your kids also have one, so that they can "drop in" on you and check your pulse by talking to you.  If you are still compos mentis, you can also chat with them by audio or video.  Alexa can also call 911 for you.

This is assuming that one is not technically challenged as I am sure many of us are.

I was working with someone on the phone recently and he walked me thru how to load an app that I didn't know I needed.

• Like 3

This thread is not just for Geezers.   Two years ago, my young 75 year old friend who was a year younger than me was under his Model A Ford, and somehow knocked it off the jack stands.   With the wheels off, the car fell on his ankle, crushing it and pinning him to the floor.  His cell phone was on the work bench next to the car.   He was pinned for about an hour before he was able to pry the brake drum off and get to his phone and call for help, which resulted in $85,000 helicopter ride to the Trauma Center in Georgia.   Ankle healed with screws and rods and is totally normal today.

Moral of the story:   Live closer to the Trauma Center,  and save Medicare some money.   However, out here between Hooterville & Pettycoat Junction, life is good unless a car falls on you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

With the wheels off, the car fell on his ankle, crushing it and pinning him to the floor.  His cell phone was on the work bench next to the car.

That is precisely why Alexa is a good thing to have:  you can yell for help if you can't reach the phone or some other device that requires pressing a button.  We don't really know if she listens and reports everything when she hasn't been called, though it's unlikely, but she sure can respond when you call her.  She can call 911 or anyone else you want.

Unfortunately, she can't respond to, "Alexa, bring me a beer."  At least, not yet! 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, yachtflame said:

Are you hiring a garage helper?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Unfortunately, she can't respond to, "Alexa, bring me a beer."  At least, not yet! 

That is a waste of AI..........it should be, "Alexa, Being me a Crown Royal Apple.........."

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 10/19/2023 at 9:43 PM, yachtflame said:

There is more than one well oiled machine in your garage. 😂

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Grimy said:

Ed, are you still drinking Candy Whiskey (sweet stuff)?  It's the mark of an unsophisticated drinker.....  🙂

It’s the drink of the true gentleman elitists ………………that’s why you’re not familiar with it. 😎

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Maybe Alexa could bring you a big bottle of Crown Royal, Ed, if it would fit in your garage...

whiskey bottle replica

I prefer a “handle” when buying my whiskey……..not the small sampler or single serving size. If your gonna go, then go BIG!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

That is a waste of AI..........it should be, "Alexa, Being me a Crown Royal Apple.........."

You better hope she understands drunk speak and that spelling.... otherwise Alexa might turn you into a decanter.

I've seen a worm at the bottom of a bottle but never a lil Ed... 

Your girlfriend : tap tap tap on the glass, "Eddie, is that you? Oh Honey.. what did you go and do now? 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Sorry if this is repeating something you’ve already investigated. My stepson has has this issue since before he was 20. His doctor prescribed a medication which has all but eliminated the occurrence. 

So, I see we’re back to beer again! 🙄

You might need someone to install one for you, but there are digital type cameras - not too expensive - that can be installed and linked to anyone you might choose who has a smart phone.  My daughter has a couple installed in her house, and they pick up the movements of her cats.  Her phone will make a noise and she looks at it to see what it is.  The cats are moving around - she can even speak to them through the cameras using her phone.  The cats will perk up and try to figure out why they are hearing something.  

You can probably get one of those cameras for around $100, more or less.  Finding someone to set it up might be the bigger issue, but people do use these.  Trail cams in the woods, all sorts of things are available now.

11 hours ago, marcapra said:

(It's hell to get old)

My house turned 170 years old this year so it has a number of "dangerous" little features that I need to be aware of since I go in areas where the rest of the family doesn't as well as lots of time alone in the garage.

I am the only one who uses the north facing front porch steps. I went down on the hard a few weeks ago, potential leg or hip breaking hard.  Being out of the sun the steps got a light coat of green algae on the steps. It was raining and I walked down the center away from the rail. It was really slick. Landed on my side getting a pretty good contusion.

I am 75. I think I owe my resilience from the fall to the two small workout areas I have dedicated space to, one in the basement and one area of my garage. It doesn't take a lot of resistance and weight work to keep your bones in shape. I have some 8 pound dumbbells, nothing heavier. A pretty good assortment of resistance tubes, a stationary bike in each location as well as two incline benches. I had a stroke and heart attack, a handful of bypasses that got me into these small maintenance routines in 2012.

When I got up from the fall one of my first thoughts was how glad I was that I had done the things to resist what could have been a life changing event. It doesn't take much.

My wife and I will still take our routine Saturday trip to Burger King at 1 PM today but I have an overall awareness of what I am doing and the affects.

We live in a culture that has so much focus on heroes and so little attention on those who work toward the non-event.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, marcapra said:

(It's hell to get old)

that's exactly what my dad said years ago.  

It has occurred to me that most of my friends are getting old.

30 or 40 years ago I commented on my birthday that if the next ten are as hard on me as the last ten I might rather be dead.

I say that every ten years religiously. And glad I am not dead.

• Like 2

I have 2 shepherds that are checking every 1/2 hour on me then reports to the wife if no treats are involved.

I have a roller seat with a three drawer toolbox built in. I believe a small bottle of Crown would fit in the bottom drawer.

Yachtflame have you thought about built in cooler on a creeper? 

• Like 1

My s/o has very low b/p. When we 1st got together she took me aside and told me that she just faints from time to time.

So I did some research and reported back to her, that a medical study found that participating in frequent sex helps strengthening the heart and blood flow. I copied the article, framed it and gave it to her for her birthday. She read it asked if how I transferred the story onto the University's logo. The article went on to state that same could be accomplished with exercise, I did not leave that on the copy for her.

Problem solved, she has not fainted in our 3 years together!!!!!

brasscarguy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If it is not possible to wear a monitor 

that constantly is checking for signs

of low blood pressure and alerting you

before you lose consciousness

then you will have to limit garage

time to when someone can be physically with you.

Yeah - it sucks getting old ….

Jim

• Like 1