When should you draw the line and not sell someone a vehicle? Especially considering how they plan to get it Home.

I insisted the trailer because they were traveling 1300 miles with it,  if they were taking major heavily conjested roads.  Longer if they were using less primary roads.  Lakes are a good place to try out boats before the open sea, or atleast innercoastal waterways.

I worked at a marina.  I would rather break down any place on a normal lake than in heavy traffic on a 5 lane super highway.  Just makes sure you put the plug in,  have a tow line and a couple of paddles.  Also makes sure if it's first thing in the season you hooked up all the hoses and all the plugs are back in the engine so you don't swamp the boat. 

Same thing boat or car,  I would never head into the great unknown on something I wasn't sure of.  Proper testing is always important.  

5 people on a recent expedition learned that the hard way. 

• Like 1

I was referring to ocean not lake, taking a boat that is floating and has been at the dock in the water for decades and driving it home under it's own power.

@auburnseeker,

Unreal, Randy. I had seriously considered putting the Hudson in my garage while I was up your way again the other week. My +conscience+ (wife) reminded me that I am already beyond capacity for car storage and any additions must be truly remarkable ones. I so appreciate your graciousness and generosity of time when I previewed the Hudson a few weeks back.  

People have no clue about towing safely. For some years I had a motorcycle shop. I worked on a lot of big touring bikes, Harleys, Gold Wings, BMWs and such. I’d have folks come from as far as Arkansas for the specialized work I did. It was not uncommon for an owner to arrive with their 1000+ pound bike on a POS garden trailer, no front wheel chock, with loose cheap-ass Wal-mart ratchet straps.

So many times, I would loan them a $300 wheel chock, and sell or loan proper American made ratchet straps, and show them how to properly secure the bike.

If the purchaser actually makes it in one piece, back to a Florida, send him a lottery ticket. 

Edited by AdamInNH (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The guy who has the trailer owns and rides vintage Harley’s across country. I am sure he has skills to fix things if necessary. It is a budget trailer that works. I had my trailer custom built in 2003, steel deck, dove tail, set up for heavy old cars. It works as well. But still can have problems on the road. Two tires decided to go at the same time. One came apart. Took out the other tire. And ripped off my trailer lights on the fender. That was driving across Montana. Limped into a town with three tires on the ground. Got 5 new tires, back on the road to get a Cadillac.

6DE97F52-8C08-491A-8B71-017B07E8D6AF.jpeg

98EEDF62-95B9-4F1F-B995-C6FF592309E2.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zepher said:

I hauled this car 1,200 miles last year from Calif to Wyoming.

What you can't see is my cousin's F350 in front of the trailer.

When he purchased this trailer he made sure it would be tall enough and stout enough to also haul any of our antique cars, including my Pierce Arrow.

Now that's he's got about 6,000 miles on this trailer he is ready to get rid of it and get a gooseneck, enclosed trailer after seeing how much better his gooseneck horse trailer tows compared to this bumper pull car trailer.

20220226_111455.jpg

Nothing wrong with a bumper pull trailer. I had a gooseneck and a Duramax 2500. Got out of the car thing for some time. Then I bought a newer F150 and a Featherlite 24’ enclosed trailer. Had a typical load equalizing hitch. It was scary AF! Thought I would have to get a gooseneck. The solution - and I have installed several for folks with big RVs since I bought mine, is the ProPride hitch, ProPrideHitch.com. It’s in a different galaxy the sway control hitch garbage that’s out there. 10000 lbs tows like a dream with the ProPride. 

• Like 1

Once the buyer pays for the car it is his rodeo. All you can do at that point is offer advice.

When I sell a car, I recommend shipping companies to the buyer. Usually, they pick one and the car arrives safe. I have had a few buyers want to save a few hundred dollars and ship cars on an open hauler. One of those guys called me and wondered why his car was so dirty when it arrived. Another was upset that I put his fender skirts and hubcaps in the trunk for safe keeping. He had no idea how to put them back on.

Lots of people ask me if they can drive the car home. I tell them the car will make it if you drive it like it was made to be driven. Over the years I have had some customers actually drive cars home. Some drove distances of 500 miles or more. I even had a customer have his car shipped to within 200 miles of his house to save on shipping costs. Then he proceeded to drive it home the rest of the way.

I have found myself buying more than one car on the same day and driving one home. I drove a 1930 Ford Model A Cabriolet home over 200 miles one day. I ended up in rush hour traffic in Columbus Ohio and a rainstorm. That Ford did just fine. When I sold that Ford the buyer drove it home to North Carolina from Ohio. 

• Like 2

I question the guys skills a bit.  Maybe he just has an angel over his shoulder when he's on the road.  The trailer wiring was easy,  but then again,  some people just don't get electrical. Not to say I'm up on it that much,  but wiring a simple trailer is just that usually very simple.  Said he lost his lights and has no power to them,  so I looked at the severed wire and said,  well it probably punched between the board it was under and the frame cutting it,  thus grounding out the circuit and blowing the fuse,  since you have no power at the truck connection.  Start with the fuses.  Found all three blown.  Bonus was atelast the fuse panel was clearly marked,  where as my Ford it's a ton of numbers you then have to translate to the fuse diagram in the owner's manual.   Lucky I had all the sizes needed, both amp and dimension.  We got power to the plug,  then i just temp connected the severed ends with test leads and everything worked.  Finished up the job adding a little extra wire to both leads,  incase of future problems.  Tie wrapped everything clear and made sure nothing could chafe.  

Atleast the lights shouldn't give them trouble again. 

I was most concerned with the fact the trailer seems very light duty to begin with.  Very little bracing.  

Yeah new trailers can fail.  My dad had a brand new car hauler break and he's a super careful driver when towing.  The main structure was a rolled diamond plate deck.  Seems when they bent it,  it was done too cold or something as it actually cracked when they did it.  When it broke there, you could see older rust in the crack/break and this was immediately afterwards so it had been cracked there for a long time.  Most likely since it was built I think the trailer was only 2-3 months old. 

Tires are tires.  Good ones can blow at any time it seems and some of those old scabby ones with dry rot will last far longer than ever expected, though I make sure any trailers I towed never had any dry rot in the tires. 

The guys that moved my literature from Maine a few years ago,  had a brand new tri axle fifth wheel trailer they just picked up in Georgia and were making their first haul to ME with one of the Forums members cars and they blew 3 tires on the way up.  Bad batch when they built the trailer? 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Glen Andrews said:

A bit over 30 years ago I cut a clipping out of the newspaper, still have it, it was a quote by Red Adair, the veteran oil well firefighter: "if you think an expert's expensive, wait until you hire an amateur."

Truer words were never spoken !

• Like 6

Years ago i sold a 1960 Cadillac to an airline pilot. I live north of Atlanta. The guys shows up, inspects the car,purchases it and then asks me if I think it will make it to Texas. Told him i didn't drive it to work if i had to be there on time. He drove off and I never heard from him again.There was no way that carnwas making it to Texas under its own power. And boy do I wish I had that car today.  

• Like 1

I got some looks when I was loading an old speedster on an open trailer.  Much of the body was gone as with the wood.

IMG_2022-12-21-09-29-25-996.jpg.d959ba74f65ef3d6ac0870d772b53a11.jpgI picked it up in VA, unloaded in TN, reloaded (had to use the trailer), then out to AZ.  Trailered as fragile as it was with no problems, loss, or breakage.  On the way I picked up another chassis (st Louis) for my friend and the seller gave a very doubtful look as to how it would fit on the trailer.  30 min later he was amazed and congratulating me on the loading.  The car is now at it's new home to be restored.IMG_2023-05-31-11-08-14-976.jpg.f1087ad8373615cd7deb15429ca2cee4.jpg

15 hours ago, zepher said:

Now that's he's got about 6,000 miles on this trailer he is ready to get rid of it and get a gooseneck, enclosed trailer after seeing how much better his gooseneck horse trailer tows compared to this bumper pull car trailer.

If he's a California resident, make sure he knows that a trailer rated at 10,000 gross or more (i.e., most goosenecks) require a Class A Commercial or Non-Commercial driver's license.  I know you have one, but the triennial special physical exam can be a financial pain for those towing for fun, and that becomes an *annual* special physical at age 75.  That's why many Calif collectors order hitch-pull trailers with 12k or better components but "administratively downrated" on their VIN-spec stickers to 9,995 lbs so that their Class C (auto) driver's license will suffice.

If his existing trailer is like that and can accommodate a 7.5-ft tall car, I'm interested!

16 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Being a nice guy and caring is not always a good trait. 

No it's not, sometimes I wish I didn't give a hoot... it certainly would make life easier now and again. 

I abhor selling vehicles, everything from the initial lowball offer to the sketchy pickup. I can think of only 2-3 vehicles I've sold that were picked up safely in a good rig. 

I once saw a '36 Teraplane roll off a trailer in my review in an intersection after the buyer had loaded it. No damage to the car but what a show! I turned around and helped him reload it.

I sold a '29 Chevy once and they guy came from a thousand miles away with a trailer, 3 straps, and no idea how to load it. We got it loaded and I gifted him another heavy duty strap. 

I sold an East German army jeep to a guy who insisted on driving it hundreds of miles home on 45 year old petrified tires against my advice... He made it a 80 miles before he called in the tow truck. 

I must say that these recent years when buying a vehicle, selling the same vehicle is taken into account. At any rate, you'll meet new and exiting people! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I wanted to try to give him the best odds possible.  It's the only reason I helped,  but I told him,  I handed him the keys and it was his,  he did the rest. 

Being a nice guy and caring is not always a good trait. 

Randy, it is a great trait to have. Regardless of the damage to the truck or injury or even possible death to the two clowns that purchased the truck, think of it as caring for the innocent people on the road that could get killed from their ignorance. You did the right thing, unfortunately I wonder if those guys even appreciate what you did for them. They appeared to have a little of 'hold my beer and watch this" look about them, so I don't know if they even realize how dangerous, or on the edge that operation they are driving is. What did they really save? That GMC 1500 is probably getting 8 MPG with a trailer behind it. Like I said you did the right thing  

I just pulled my trailer on the I-78/ I-81 corridor this weekend from Long Island to Morgantown WVA and back for and with my friend to pick up a 63 Buick he purchased from a fellow AACA member. That road is horrible, I have a rather new 2500 GMC Diesel and 28' enclosed trailer, and I did not feel comfortable driving a good portion of the trip. Most of the drivers, drive like it is a video game. I don't know how that rig will sustain that road with a load like your old truck, the only part that spares them is that they won't have to travel on I-78 which is almost like driving off road at 50 mph (speed restriction, camera enforced). 

I had an open trailer, after a blow out and the damage that the tire did to my Biscayne, that was the end of my open trailer. I hope they insured the Hudson before they left, but judging from the operation I doubt it

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

My easiest trip.

Bought a Chrysler TC Maserati twin cam 5 speed that was in Pensacola.

Flew in, drove home.

Got back to Oregon three days later. Man, that car would fly.

Had to bum some tie wire at a fuel stop to get the muffler back from dragging.

Had it for several years and got my money back. But kinda wish I'd kept it.

• Like 1

I was looking at a Chrysler 300 that is in Ohio and on the not mine ads right now.

The seller told me that his mechanic said he would not hesitate the drive back to Oregon.

But the car has a couple of issues that I didn't want to get involved in for his asking price.

I love the adventures on the road. If he keeps dropping the price, I may get interested again.

8 hours ago, Grimy said:

If he's a California resident, make sure he knows that a trailer rated at 10,000 gross or more (i.e., most goosenecks) require a Class A Commercial or Non-Commercial driver's license.  I know you have one, but the triennial special physical exam can be a financial pain for those towing for fun, and that becomes an *annual* special physical at age 75.  That's why many Calif collectors order hitch-pull trailers with 12k or better components but "administratively downrated" on their VIN-spec stickers to 9,995 lbs so that their Class C (auto) driver's license will suffice.

If his existing trailer is like that and can accommodate a 7.5-ft tall car, I'm interested!

My cousin lives in Wyoming so I am not sure what they have for regulations regarding towing capacity and commercial licenses.

I know they have a huge gooseneck horse trailer they tow with their 6.7L F350 and neither him nor his wife have a commercial license.

I will double check the specs on his enclosed car trailer and let you know what they are.  He has only used it to haul his Maserati MC20 so it hasn't seen much use.

• Thanks 1

I've bought old cars from all over Canada and the USA. Usually wanted to drive them home myself. That was when I was much younger. Lot's of adventures and break down stories from as far as a 1000 miles away. Last summer, June 30th/2022 was the end of that. Scorching hot day, 4 hours from home I decide to drive my newly purchased 1972 Buick Skylark 455 convertible back on Canada's busiest highway. Less than 2 hours into the trip one of the old crappy tires blows up. No big deal. Get the jack out then realize I didn't even check the spare! It was flat and toast. Ok, I'll just try to find a 14 inch tire. No way does anyone have a 14 inch. Long weekend next day, no one can even order a tire until 3-4 days. Finally my brother drives to help with a crappy spare, but it will do. He insists on following me for a while before heading back the opposite way when bang! the 2nd rear tire blows out. So after a few hours of searching a shop in Toronto agrees to sell me a 14 inch trailer tire. Brother heads off, gets tire and has it mounted. So now 5 hours at least have passed and I'm back on the road trying to find a slower secondary road to prevent the front 2 from disintegrating. Every car now goes on a flat bed tilt 'n load truck no matter the cost. I won't buy the car unless I have the extra cash for the tow.

canday22 182.jpg

• Like 4

My friend just bought this TR6 - his first old car, basically his first non-late model Honda so there's definitely going to be a learning curve.  Long story short he really wanted to drive the car home but it was located about 100 miles away.  I stayed out of the whole purchase etc but offered to go with him to get it with the car trailer, giving him the advice that it's different driving it solo then on a test drive with the previous owner and giving him the legalities of what he wanted to do.  They went back and forth about driving it home on the previous owner's insurance and plates (ya it can be done but if anything happens then what) and other ideas, fast forward to Father's Day morning and this is the way it came home.  When we arrived at the pick up location there was still an interview process with the owner's father but I could see the expression in his face relax when we pulled up with a 22 Ram and the solid deck trailer.  Had it been the set up that you dealt with Randy, there is no doubt that the car would not have left where it was.

20230618_142135 (2).jpg

• Like 5

Great looking TR-6.

Is it a '75?

While not a powerhouse, they are a very fun car to drive.

Setup with the factory exhaust system, the exhaust note is perfect.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zepher said:

Great looking TR-6.

Is it a '75?

While not a powerhouse, they are a very fun car to drive.

Setup with the factory exhaust system, the exhaust note is perfect.

Yes it is, from what I can tell so far it's going to be a great car for my friend - his go to tool is the screwdriver on this swiss army knife so this car being well tuned already is a good jumping off point into the old car world.  The ironic part is that we've been friends since Grade 3 - in 1975.  

• Like 2

Having had a TR-6 my advice would be to find a competent shop, have them look it over initially and then set it up for the season every Spring.  Then drive it.  Learn how to maintain it over time.  They require care and feeding but not like a Ferrari.  He is going to love it!!

Amazing what some people think is safe when towing as this is just one example of how some of us will go to great lengths to get that dream car or truck... 

It is insane what some folk are capable of but you did everything you could to help them in that situation short of removing them from your property and denying the sale which we all know would have been nearly impossible to deal with (I wouldn't wish that situation on anyone). 

In all honesty, as fellow hobbyists we should ALL be keeping these boys in our thoughts and prayers as we hope they don't hurt themselves or any innocent families on this busy travel week.  Personally I'd want a follow up phone call just to know they made it okay and didn't harm anyone on the roadways... I'm not familar with the route or travel times in that part of the country but I believe they should be home by Saturday or Sunday if they take it easy, lets hope they make it ok. 

I can't even imagine the range of emotions you must be dealing with on this one, Randy...

If you hear they made it home safely please let us know as we are all hoping for a good outcome.

Bittersweet sale on many levels for you I'm sure.

Best regards
Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I purchased a 1930 Model A coupe in Fairfield, CT, on Monday evening, June 26, and drove it home to Atlanta, traversing the almost all of the Blue Ridge Parkway en route and arriving home on July 3.

It all depends on the car and your skills. In fall of 2014, I bought a 1930 Model A sedan off eBay in McMinnville, OR, and drove it back to Atlanta, but my older son and I drove out, so I had a chase car behind me with tools and a parts supply on that trip. This time, the car was in such condition that I did the trip solo.

Did I have troubles? Yes, but nothing major and the old car community came out to help me when I needed help.

When I was considering driving the sedan from OR back in 2014, I called my best man, the late Donald R. Peterson (West's father, if you don't know), to ask if that was a good idea.

He said, "Do it. You'll learn more about the car in two weeks than you will in ten years of attending local car shows."

If you're on Facebook, here's the link to my personal page. Scroll down to see the various episode posts. Still have a couple of episodes to post.

https://www.facebook.com/gregory.wells.790

coupe.jpg

• Like 7

On 7/4/2023 at 7:58 AM, swab said:

I got some looks when I was loading an old speedster on an open trailer.  Much of the body was gone as with the wood.

IMG_2022-12-21-09-29-25-996.jpg.d959ba74f65ef3d6ac0870d772b53a11.jpgI picked it up in VA, unloaded in TN, reloaded (had to use the trailer), then out to AZ.  Trailered as fragile as it was with no problems, loss, or breakage.  On the way I picked up another chassis (st Louis) for my friend and the seller gave a very doubtful look as to how it would fit on the trailer.  30 min later he was amazed and congratulating me on the loading.  The car is now at it's new home to be restored.IMG_2023-05-31-11-08-14-976.jpg.f1087ad8373615cd7deb15429ca2cee4.jpg

Nice!

That's definitely one that meets the open trailer criteria (after making sure no loose parts will fly away of course).

Hoping to see a thread soon about that fun project.

Congrats

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

(after making sure no loose parts will fly away of course)

The "car" was nothing but loose parts lol.  I had to wrap it up like a big cocoon after filling the inside as a line would have crushed the body. 

21 hours ago, Angelfish said:

So what's the point of owning a Maserati if you're just going to haul it around in a trailer?

If you're referring to the MC20 my cousin owns, he uses the trailer to haul it from WY to CA for service.  He trusts the Maserati dealer he purchased it from more than the one closer in CO so he hauls it 1,200 miles, one way, for service.

In the warm months that car is almost his daily driver if he's not in his Ford F350 or his Maserati Quattroporte.

He has used his MC20 for everything from going to dinner to grocery runs.

It is the only supercar I have ever driven and it is nothing like the stories you hear about how supercars are horrible drivers for regular driving. 

It is extremely comfortable and easy to drive, despite it being capable of doing 0 - 100mph in 4.2 seconds.

• Like 2

Well I'm up north, ready to pick up the 29 buick and haul it back on the open trailer.  I have internet access with the computer and thought you might like to see some the the pics from the loading of the rust bucket before its trip VA-AZ.585C3B0F-E345-40AA-9164-57CE8C9AA635.jpeg.3311e8d8cb27db7d2304c65e6e589495.jpeg

Of course then the tie down began . . .

IMG_8454.JPG.37f93e747591d3f1f47a35f237333bf8.JPG

Had it been a private seller instead of an auction house and I had informed them of my intention to use an open trailer I may well have met with "resistance" 

Well, I get both sides of this argument.  The speedster looks secured by someone who obviously has a clue.

That said, I tend to fall into Auburnseeker's camp though because I have sold enough old cars and related parts over the years to eant to  avoid anything that comes back to bite me no matter how baseless the buyer's issue is.  I simply don't need the sale that badly so I shut down if I see any red flags.  Sadly a lot of buyers don't get where seller's responsibilities end.  I suspect he feels the same, and really, these guys owe him a debt of gratitude if he spent 5 hours helping them get basic safety gear working in pouring rain when a friendly wave and thanks for your business was all he needed to do, really.