Are you waiting for the shipper to arrive?

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

That actually drove up there but no one closed the windows? Must have been fun winching it up there if not. 

Wonder how many times it will get off loaded & reloaded before it finally gets home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Hm. A Two-Ten four-door sedan. In s**t-brindle brown no less.

A BelAir hardtop or convertible, or even a Two-Ten convertible wouldn't be nearly as surprising to see. There's hope for the underdog yet!

Looks like a $500 parts car.  I bet the shipping unless it's real short distance is more than the car even open like that. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Looks like a $500 parts car.  I bet the shipping unless it's real short distance is more than the car even open like that. 

More like $4000. Seems like 53 and 54 Chevy's have gotten real popular in past few years, looks pretty solid and complete. I will buy them all day long in that shape for $500

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the carrier has any sense, the cars are loaded in the order they need to come off.  Save a bunch of time reloading, not to mention needing extra space to park cars during the process.  Might be tough to do in a residential area.

31 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

If the carrier has any sense, the cars are loaded in the order they need to come off.  Save a bunch of time reloading, not to mention needing extra space to park cars during the process.  Might be tough to do in a residential area.

The problem is that any big carrier is cris-crossing the country picking up and dropping off. There’s little control over what can be ordered in front of what . It’s more a function of location.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Solid only goes so far on a 4 door sedan that looks like it needs everything.   You can buy for 10 grand or less, even on the East coast, in real nice turn key shape.  Nice 53-54 parts are expensive.  You won't be buying any affordable replacement chrome. 

• Like 1

I couldn't resist adding these from the local news.  The company involved generally hauls late model used stuff. I can't say that I've seen a tractor trailer go into full on turtle mode. 

The driver of a transport truck suffered minor injuries after a crash involving a second transport truck on Highway 401 in the Municipality of Dutton-Dunwich on May 15, 2023. (Jim Knight/CTV News London)

The driver of a transport truck suffered minor injuries after a crash involving a second transport truck on Highway 401 in the Municipality of Dutton-Dunwich on May 15, 2023. (OPP West Region/Twitter)

I looked at a 79 or so full size Buick in  wrecking yard (Al's in Richmond [Ellerson] Va). It was brand new, but it had been on the top row of a car carrier that turned turtle like the carrier above. Greenhouse folded into interior, but the rest looked pretty good.👍

I was going to ask how Paul knew it was a 67 Beetle, then I saw the picture of the headlamps, and the wheels seem to be the 5 lug style.;)

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

On 5/15/2023 at 11:43 PM, Frank DuVal said:

I looked at a 79 or so full size Buick in  wrecking yard (Al's in Richmond [Ellerson] Va). It was brand new, but it had been on the top row of a car carrier that turned turtle like the carrier above. Greenhouse folded into interior, but the rest looked pretty good.👍

I was going to ask how Paul knew it was a 67 Beetle, then I saw the picture of the headlamps, and the wheels seem to be the 5 lug style.;)

Frank DuVal,

The VW had big side windows like 65 thru 67, front fenders like the 67, small round hubcaps like

the 65 and a rear deck like the 66 with a 62 & earlier license plate light and chrome bumpers like all pre 1968's.  That's why I said it was customized.  Plus it was lowered    Still a cute car, but not original.

I've had 12 VW's in the last 60 years.  2 1957's, 2 1958 Dune Buggies, 1 1961, 2 1964's,  1 1966,       2 1967's, 1 1971 and a 1972 Super Beetle with A/C that got 12 MPG.  Our current 1966  Beetle (6 Volt) started as a Toad behind our GMC Motor Home 33 years ago.  Usually seen in AACA Divisional & Founders Tours.   With my non-bending replacement knees, I have not driven it in 4 years!   But I still love it, even though 1967 is my favorite year VW.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
corrections (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Headed North out of Indy with mecum plates on the cars. I hope that olds doesn’t get rained in. 

I liked the Oldsmobile, my 20 year old helper was a lot more impressed with the stang. 

IMG_2868.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:34 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

2B7E1E5E-2FA3-4EC5-839A-9883E2BACE7F.jpeg

328AC715-6981-47E5-8203-0752B35997F2.jpeg

5EA8E38E-F48A-433F-B479-2779EEE37E4B.jpeg

It looks like a fun job getting the car on and off that trailer!  I wrecked my firebird years ago and had a truck driver friend. He brought my car the 100 miles back home on a drop deck. We had a job trying to rig ramps up to unload it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cable/Cord can rub the paint.

Limited clearance between 

top rack and car roof on lower 

rack can cause damage to the 

lower car depending on the weight 

of the upper car and strength/condition

of telescoping struts.

Any leaking fluids on upper deck

from vehicle above can damage

paint on lower car.

C27FA3C1-B142-4257-B2A1-284A74E5B4A4.jpeg.e3d0e195adc83e65e14e3974f5d372f7.jpeg

Jim

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 8:12 PM, TAKerry said:

It looks like a fun job getting the car on and off that trailer!  I wrecked my firebird years ago and had a truck driver friend. He brought my car the 100 miles back home on a drop deck. We had a job trying to rig ramps up to unload it.

Probably used a loading dock which had an attached forklift ramp.  All major warehouses have them.  Even the local Harley dealer has something similar for loading bikes into jacked-up pickups and onto flatbeds.

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

Probably used a loading dock which had an attached forklift ramp.  All major warehouses have them.  Even the local Harley dealer has something similar for loading bikes into jacked-up pickups and onto flatbeds.

If you look closely, there are heavy duty ramps underneath the rear of the trailer. A bit rough for loading automobiles, but great for small utility tractors. We have something similar. What would really help in this situation is an electric winch up front.

2 hours ago, George Cole said:

Actually they might have used a few long ramps that look like ladders,  rungs and all.   Don't laugh,  A guy showed up with the same trailer and had me drive my 68 Corvette up them and on it.  Got stuck right before I got on and he took a big bar and pried up on the frame so stop it from dragging.  Crazy.  I took pictures and sent them to the buyer that had arranged shipping.  He also strapped it down with the other two vehicles on the trailer that were wrecked so close you could barely put your fingers between the v of the front bumper and the back of the wrecked SUV in front of it.  Yes the Vette was as nice as that Barracuda. 

• Like 1

Years ago when I worked for a regional airline with several small outposts, many times a semi would show up to a station carrying a piece of wheeled equipment, with no dock available.   We would just call up the local rollback to back up to the semi, transfer it,  and if need be, use some ramps, and then set the vehicle on the ground.  Didn’t take long at all and no damage.

We also would do the same at a big truck terminal, where there was no ramp connecting the dock to the ground.  The rollback was perfect.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)

4 hours ago, BillinMd said:

If you look closely, there are heavy duty ramps underneath the rear of the trailer. A bit rough for loading automobiles, but great for small utility tractors. We have something similar. What would really help in this situation is an electric winch up front.

TA Kerry and I were referring to the flat bed tractor trailer carrying the Barracuda.  It has no ramps under the rear of the trailer.

I bought a Fiero GT in San Diego and it shipped to St. Petersburg FL in 2 days.  Two Mexicans driving spoke no english, but they did a fine job.

FieroGT.jpg.b32541dd6d5ea7a4f8d4675ab3b2c35a.jpgWas a fun little car, like driving a enclosed Go-Cart with A/C.   Kept it about a year and sold it.   Got tired of being directed to park with the Ferraris at Cars & Coffee @ the Dupont Registry where the traffic directer couldn't tell a Pontiac from a Ferrari.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added picture and comment (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2023 at 7:14 PM, Trulyvintage said:

Cable/Cord can rub the paint.

Limited clearance between 

top rack and car roof on lower 

rack can cause damage to the 

lower car depending on the weight 

of the upper car and strength/condition

of telescoping struts.

Any leaking fluids on upper deck

from vehicle above can damage

paint on lower car.

C27FA3C1-B142-4257-B2A1-284A74E5B4A4.jpeg.e3d0e195adc83e65e14e3974f5d372f7.jpeg

Jim

Note the tip of the antenna -

Hope the owner wants to listen to "Twisted Sister".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32FordGAR.jpg.2453008c31bcf9684a2c80862ed970b9.jpgI sent two cars to L.A. Califormia for the 1993 Great American Race on an open car hauler.   One was the 35 Chrysler Airflow and the other was a 1932 Ford Model B Roadster.   The Navigators wife for the 32 Roadster made a vinyl top cover that covered the top and the windshield down to the body, which made ot weather proof.   The cars were delivered to Newt Withers Goodyear store on L.A., where Newt's crew washed then of diesel residue and they looked great when we flew in to do the race.   All I had to do was to apply the B & W Checkered tape and hook up the Taxi sign.

We then raced against Newt in his 1912 Oldsmobile Autocrat for a share of the $260,000 purse in the Huntington Bech CA to Norfolk. VA, a 4250 mile race.    That year Alan & Mary Travis won first place in their 1910 Knox Raceabout.   I met a lot of wonderful people in my 11 Great Races.   I still wake up nights dreamong about it, almost 40 years later.   I recommend it to anyone with the Antique Car Addiction.

Scan.jpg.96796514697f0b16a7461d3f5fa604d4.jpg

I did go back in 2001 for an encore.   1935 Chrysler C1 Airflow

Scroll down for more pictures of cars mentioned in this post.

First picture:   1932 Ford Modle B Roadster

Second Picture:    1920 Packard Speedway Speedster & 1910 Knox Raceabut in the "HiWay Mimute Stop" for shade.

Third picture:   1993 Grand Championship Winner, 1910 Knox Raceabout

KnoxPackard.jpg.a0f97c7b20e39498570e114cf8d5c4ea.jpg

1932 Ford Model B Roadster

32FordGAR.jpg

KnoxPackard.jpg

1910Knox.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 4