In Memory of Our Friends Now Departed but Not Forgotten

MrEarl

Starting and pinning this thread here as I have recently missed some of the posts about some of our members passing that were  randomly posted throughout the different forums. I'll post some of the most recent that I recall and welcome others to do the same.

A place to post obituaries and memorials of our Buick friends now departed. May they all rest peacefully and be reverently and forever remembered by all their good friends here.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• MrEarl pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

William David Moses

March 25, 1949 - April 22, 2023

"He spent a few years as the president of the Southwest Ohio Buick Club.  His 1917 Buick was even featured in the movie 'Eight Men Out'. He also helped the crew in the movie 'Rain Man' when they filmed in Cincinnati, with a power window problem in Tom Cruise's 1949 Buick."

https://www.meyersfuneralhomes.com/obituary/william-bill-moses

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I met Bill at a Buick Meet in Flint, Michigan just a few months after he had finished the restoration on his 1917 D-45.  He also took that car to West Lafayette, Indiana to show it to the late Dave Chambers.  This was just before Dave passed away.  He really got a kick out of doing that for Dave and they both had a ton of fun together.  I really never got to know Bill as well as I would have liked to.  He was a really fine gentleman and we had quite a few conversations about his going through that '17.

Rest Easy My Friend

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

As reported on the Reatta forum, a member with the sign on name Padgett, has apparently passed away.  Padgett - who was a very private forum member - apparently was named Atley "Padgett" Peterson.  He was an engineer, we believe, tall - because he often commented about the 2 seat sports cars from GM he tried to fit in.  

A look at the statistics that show most frequent visitors to this esteemed forum (AACA Forum) will show he is #2. 

I am sure he was a BCA member at one time, so he deserves a spot on here.  He will be missed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

• 4 weeks later...

First, thank you @MrEarl for getting this topic going.

We lost a great friend and long time BCA #20577 and Chicagoland Chapter member Frank Tallarico July 21,2023 after a very short Illness, Frank passed away peacefully in his sleep. He was a very smart man and extremely knowledgeable on Buick's and all cars (Packard Cadillac etc.) Frank loved his family first, his wife Diana had been sick and he was taking car of her until she had to go into a memory care facility and even then he and his daughter Amy would visit her very often to make sure she was being taken care of and was ok, then his cars. Frank has an iconic (to anyone who new him) 1955 Buick Century Wagon blue and white that he restored, if you were at a BCA or CCBCA function and seen that car you knew Frank was close by, he attended many BCA National meets with that car, one in particular that was held in Flint, MI. and another BCA member @FireballV8 (Steve) was restoring a 1955 Buick Century Wagon same color combination as Frank's and they had numerous previous phone conversations about each others cars, both took their cars to Flint MI. for the BCA Nationals and parked on show field front of each car facing each others for a photo shoot, pretty cool, Frank spoke often about that BCA National and 2 matching Buick's and about how Steve was a great guy, Frank and Steve had a special connection. The last he attended CCBCA meet last July 2022 at Sleepy Hollow and I drove him with his 1955 Buick Wagon and after we parked, as usual he lowered the tailgate and that was out chair and people gathered around the tail gate area and we all had a great day talking about car related stuff and Buick"s, one special moment that day was @Mudbone (Ken) purchased a sandwich for Frank to eat (Frank could not walk far with his bad knees) and Frank tried to pay Ken, BUT Ken would not accept any money, Frank talked to me about that several times on how kind that was that Ken did that and how he also has two 1955 Buick's.  Frank also did a body off restoration on  a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedanet 76S and did everything himself except the upholstery, he even painted that car himself, he just finished the car and wanted to take it to Minneapolis for a BCA show but was worried because he just rebuilt the engine the timing light he was using (he tried 3 different timing lights 6 volt, 12 volt with external battery outside of car only hooked up to timing light) could not see the timing mark and was worried he may burn a piston driving that far and at high speed, I had just acquired a timing light that operated of house current (110V) and we used that and he could see the timing mark and adjusted the timing and now he was set. He made the trip with no issues. Frank also has a 1953 Cadillac 2-door (black plate car) that was owned new by Dean Martin, that he finished the restoration started by another person (those are hard to do when someone else took it apart) and turned out great. How could I talk about Frank and not mention Larry Driscoll (aka The Senator) @Pete Phillips also loved the senator that deep laugh, Pete and I have talked several times on stories about the senator, Frank and Larry would do anything for each other when needed, but they did argue from time to time (like brothers do) but  a week later they would be helping each other. I owe a lot to Frank, as I was very sick for about 1 1/2 years, it was Frank who prodded me, (I needed that to start to get out again) after physical therapy to get back out and he took me to the 2022 Buick Nationals in Lisle, Wednesday before the event and each day after to watch as it was set up, and even on Saturday as we sat in his car in the rain, and also to the Cadillac Grand National in Lombard at same dates, I needed that to get out and he knew it, I am still recovering but might not be as far as I am if it wasn't for Frank, Thank You Frank from the bottom of my heart.

We will miss Frank and his "boat load" of knowledge

RIP my friend

Bob

Frank's funeral arrangements:

Monday July 31, 2023

3:00 -8:00 pm (Wake)

Blake & Lamb

5015 Lincoln Avenue

Lisle, IL. 60532

Yes Frank's 1955 Buick Century Wagon will be here

EDIT: 1953 Cadillac will be here also.

As a tribute to Frank, special arrangement were made for your antique cars to be here, Blake and Lamb will have the north parking spots "coned" off for your cars.

IMG_6757.png

Edited by NailheadBob
update (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RIP Frank. I had forgotten about Sleepy Hollow 2022.  "one special moment that day was @Mudbone (Ken) purchased a sandwich for Frank to eat (Frank could not walk far with his bad knees) and Frank tried to pay Ken, BUT Ken would not accept any money, Frank talked to me about that several times on how kind that was that Ken did that and how he also has two 1955 Buick's" Sometimes you do something for someone and you really don't think it is a big deal. But to them it may be a big deal. I guess we all need to remember some of the small things you do for people mean a lot to them. I was just thrilled that I was asked to park and sit and talk with all the Buick guys!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Mudbone for posting the video, and in the  picture in your video is Frank's car and Frank and I are sitting on his tailgate, and the fella in the white shirt walking toward us is our good friend Jerry Anderson and he had his 1941 Buick Super at Sleepy Hollow, a special day I will always remember with my friend Frank.

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Bob

I am so sorry to hear Frank passed away, may he rest in peace. I had known him for over 30 years, his wagon's picture in Collectable Automobile Magazine was the first 55 Century wagon I had seen and was inspired by that picture to finish my 55 Wagon. The Flint meet was a great event, I will never forget having the two wagons there.

Steve

• Like 1

With regrets, I'm forwarding the sad news that my dear and long time friend Bill Preston,  

also known by his AVANTEY handle,

Passed away today.

Bill had been dealing with cancer for an extended time, as well as additional medical issues.

Bill hosted the Glidden Tour in Saratoga Springs, NY in 2021,

and had been instrumental in the Reliability Tour in Geneva, NY,

as well as assisting with multiple tours in Maine.

We were able to visit for an all too short time three weeks ago on our way to Founders Tour in London, Ontario, Canada.

Bill had just got his 1938 Roadmaster back on the road .

Prayers for his bride, Pam, and all family.

• Thanks 6

Wow - that's so sad.  I just met him and Marty when I was in Waterloo a couple of weeks ago.  A very dedicated 'car guy' who had some great stories and particularly loved touring in old cars.  He was in the process of getting his '38 Roadmaster recommissioned when I saw him.  We rode together in my '38 Century to check on the progress.

image.jpeg.34af2a1e3cefa993e1c4245e6ea14ba1.jpeg

From the few hours we spent together I can tell the hobby has lost someone special.  My condolences to Pam and the family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2023 at 6:51 AM, NailheadBob said:

@FireballV8 I did not know Franks 1955 Buick Wagon was in a magazine, do you possibly know what year and month Collectable Automobile Magazine it was in, as now I will be on a quest to find a copy of it for myself?

Thanks Steve in advance,

Bob

Hi Bob

It is in the February 1993 issue, I believe you can still buy this issue from Collectable Automobile. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 12:22 AM, FireballV8 said:

Hi Bob

It is in the February 1993 issue, I believe you can still buy this issue from Collectable Automobile. 

Steve

Thanks Steve @FireballV8 I purchased and received today my copy

Frank Tallarico’s Wagon looks that great today as it was in the magazine 

Amy his daughter allowed me to drive his Buick Wagon to his funeral service and another BCA member and friend drove his 53 Cadillac, we parked them facing each other at the entrance 

I know Frank was looking down from Heaven smiling 

Bob

IMG_6889.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6890.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

R.I.P., Don Mitchell, BCA #38664 of Midlothian, Texas, long-time Treasurer of the North Texas Chapter, age 76, after a courageous battle with cancer. You may have seen his dark blue 1970 Skylark convertible with white top at a BCA national meet. He drove it to national meets on both coasts for many years. Quiet, unassuming, great guy. He will be missed.

--Pete Phillips

• Thanks 7

• 1 month later...

Barbara Wiegand wife of Terry was killer in a car accident Tuesday November 7th. Obituary below.

Barbara Sue Wiegand
Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terrible news of Barbara Weigand's passing. Terry and I worked together a few months ago to get his Buick dialed in and frankly I'm shocked. May she rest in peace. Ed Minnie

• Like 1

I see on Facebook that Brad Connelly, from Ohio, passed away.  I don't know any of the details, but he was a big Buick guy with a 70 white GSX that was a prototype vehicle.  My condolences to his family and friends.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al Dann, long time member of the BCA Minuteman Chapter, passed away mid-November.  He was having serious health problems lately and finally succumbed to them.  Over the last few years, he drove a '53 Buick "Woodie" and a '91 Buick Reatta.  He is survived by his wife Nancy, a daughter, and son. 

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dship said:

Al Dann, long time member of the BCA Minuteman Chapter, passed away mid-November.  He was having serious health problems lately finally and succumbed to them.  Over the last few years, he drove a '53 Buick "Woodie" and a '91 Buick Reatta.  He is survived by his wife Nancy, a daughter, and son. 

Al was a Guy who always stepped up ro the plate when help was needed. An unassuming man that was a great friend to many Buick Club members, as well as Woody Club members. He did a lot of heavy lifting in running the Minute Man Chapter, and he and Nancy published "The News of The Minute" for many years.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 1:57 PM, JohnD1956 said:

I see on Facebook that Brad Connelly, from Ohio, passed away.  I don't know any of the details, but he was a big Buick guy with a 70 white GSX that was a prototype vehicle.  My condolences to his family and friends.  

Only 65. Very sad indeed. 
His obituary

https://www.underwoodfuneralhome.com/obituary/brad-conley

• Like 1