A dog's life!

Tonz

Just wondering how many other guys who spend a "bit" of time on their old cars are having this time shared with the family dog.

Domesticated dogs have learnt over millennia the art of being included in the human pack for a free feed and to keep warm and safe.

Now they see the pack leader spending all his free time on it's old car so instincts tell the dog to get onboard.

My blue dog has taken lodgings in the back of my 26 Chrysler utility, and spends a lot of time sleeping In the back.

And when laying underneath or head in engine bay I can guarantee a nose stuck in my ear, checking that I'm doing it correctly.

Been trying to teach him "fetch 1/2 inch open ender"😆

IMG_20230104_070100.jpg

IMG_20230104_065915.jpg

Edited by Tonz (see edit history)
  • Like 15
  • Haha 2

Next up is my current pal, Patty AKA The Dane.  Like all Danes her preference, even if one is driving, working, whatever is be to be in your lap if at all possible.  😁

The GSD is just a fun pic from the internet, Model A Deluxe Phaeton.

FB_IMG_1659305320386.jpg

FB_IMG_1585820099101.jpg

• Like 7

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to A dog's life! many other guys who spend a "bit" of time on their old cars are having this time shared with the family dog.
5 hours ago, Tonz said:

Just wondering how many other guys who spend a "bit" of time on their old cars are having this time shared with the family dog.

Domesticated dogs have learnt over millennia the art of being included in the human pack for a free feed and to keep warm and safe.

Now they see the pack leader spending all his free time on it's old car so instincts tell the dog to get onboard.

My blue dog has taken lodgings in the back of my 26 Chrysler utility, and spends a lot of time sleeping In the back.

And when laying underneath or head in engine bay I can guarantee a nose stuck in my ear, checking that I'm doing it correctly.

Been trying to teach him "fetch 1/2 inch open ender"😆

IMG_20230104_070100.jpg

IMG_20230104_065915.jpg

By the look, Blue probably only understands Metric. Try 12mm Bluey?

great thread. Great story. Great pictures. Made my day!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 3

Jordan, our miniature Fox Terrier was a great companion dog and knew those words ‘go for a ride’ which was usually to the beach for long walks. She used to love laying on the parcel shelf of my ‘64 Skylark as it was warm there!

Once she sniffed the sea, would be at the vent window on the passenger side, whining to get there. ‘Are we there yet!”

Both her and the Skylark are long gone, but hoping 10week old Billy will enjoy the rides!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

7B3AEB99-EB51-4E40-B3D2-41F5EB00837A.png

59BA59F3-9B91-4156-8734-5BE84B0E267D.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

No kidding George.   Don't forget about these too.

Goats.jpg

AJ, we used to have a visiting goat that loved being with the horses. The only problem was they loved to jump on a car hood then climb to the roof of any car in the drive. The goat was not popular with friends we had over to the house. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tonz,   oh my,  a Blue Heeler.    We have one of those....  present and past.  They're smart dogs.

Ours likes to hang out with us,  laying on her pet bed on the heated shop floor,  when we're working in there.   I can't see myself letting her ride in the finished car.   We like her alot but not "that" much.

On the Grizzly Tour in Salinas a few years ago. They both had to come. They loved riding in the 11 T. It got pretty tight with my wife and I and them all riding in the front seat!

Ken

DSC_5007.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Tonz changed the title to A dog's life!

Many years ago we “rescued” a half-feral female cat. She became a friendly indoor/outdoor cat and always liked to sleep on top of one of our collector cars- on its soft car cover. One day I learned why she liked that spot- when she brought me a little “present” to the house. She passed at 16 and the mechanical traps that replaced her are not nearly as effective. 

• Like 4

After losing an old dog, I decided to look for a rescue. The local shelter presented several dogs, and the last was Burt. Burt had had a rough life so far, He had kennel cough, mange, and other afflictions. He was released into the compound where we were sitting and at first totally ignored us. After a little while, he came up to within a few feet of me and looked me right in the eye. To my surprise, he came up, turned around, and sat down between my legs. I had been chosen by him !.He turned out to be a great , very loyal and protective companion. He even followed me around as I was cutting the lawn, as evidenced by his green paws !

It broke our hearts when some years later he developed throat cancer and we had to put him down. Clancy replaced him.

Jim Pictures from work computer 071.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The companionship and love of a good dog. You just can’t beat it.  After 13 wonderful years with Libby, who raised our four kids, we were on the sidelines for about four years without a dog in our house. We corrected that this past summer with Honey. If they are with you, they are happy. Life is good again.

5F31772F-586D-461C-9976-5508816B0187.jpeg

F19F2034-CE7A-4267-B558-C2D215EDDC39.jpeg

2B40BB67-70D4-436B-BE64-057AEE90511E.png

BF6C6963-0182-427C-8984-4394AB6ACACA.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Dogs are very percepive as to oncomming folly of their human caretakers.

DSCF6063.JPG.65b2f57e4e779ec0e66a855879fde12d.JPGOur Husky Japhy just prior to us attempting a 44 mile drive to our Mason Dixon Car show back in 2017.

Japhy seemed to always enjoy our drives around town in our 1925 Buick. At the time our Buick had an aversion to leaving the boro limits.  I would drive around town all day, doing errands, no issues.  But...on this day as we left Chambersburg the car began to buck and carry on. (just past boro limits) Carb adjustments would work for a few miles and start behaving badly again. All this time Japhy was extreamly agitated, howling and acting as if we were both going to die. We turned around and went home. Japhy calmed down once safely back home.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I posted this car and dog tail about 2 years ago so if you've already seen it, my apologies.

It brings back good memories so I'm posting it again.

Regretfully, no pix but let your imagination put the dog of your choice sitting panting and grinning next to wife, who had her arm around him....Bob.

My 57 Buick was very recently finished with it's body off restoration and we were at a local show. For pretty much the entire day there was a big old mutt type dog running around the show field. He was having a BLAST. Just running and grinning the whole time. Stealing food, pissing on things, getting both petted and yelled at. I saw him getting a drink in the men's room (guess from what). The whole time my wife was fretting about what would become of him when we left. She just knew he was abandoned or lost.

I could see the hand writing on the wall.

When it was time to go she said "we are not leaving that dog". So.... there  he was. Sitting in the back seat with my wife, a seat that had NEVER before been sat upon, with his tongue hanging out and a big shit eating grin on his face, while I drove them from house to house looking for his owner.

We eventually did find his owner who said "yeah he does that but thanks for driving him home."

All's well that ends well............Bob

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

In a perfect world your dogs would live as long as you do..............

Bob

True words, I never wanted another dog for years for that very reason, and we finally did. While I would love to have another dog now after he passed away , I could not go through it again

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, John348 said:

Bob

True words, I never wanted another dog for years for that very reason, and we finally did. While I would love to have another dog now after he passed away , I could not go through it again

Those were my feelings after losing Burt. However, that only lasted about a week and a half. Clancy arrived soon after. I've shed many a tear over lost dogs, but their companionship is priceless.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John348 said:

Bob

I,m 83 and have never been with out at least two dogs in the family. And yes, the loss of a loyal dog is painfull. We,ve shed many tears but, for us the best therapy has been to get another rescue dog ASAP.  They will wiggle their way right into that hole in your heart..bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I rescued Max a Wheaton/golden mutt at 6 weeks old from a shelter he traveled the country hauling my daughters horses all over for 17+ years. He liked to sneak out the F350 rear window when my daughter fell asleep and lay down on the bed cover as we were doing 65 down the highway. Usually a car would pull up along side me and point towards him. I call him and he would reluctantly come back in. He went at least 125,000 miles with me. When he was gone I waited 4 1/2 years before a friend asked me to rescue Sophie a golden doodle that was 6 months old. When we got there  her sister Gracie was also in need of being rescued so I took them both. Best decision I’ve ever made. I didn’t think I would ever get another Max both these two girls captured my heart. They loved to ride in the car. Sophie went down about 1 1/2 years ago at 15 years. I knew Grace wasn’t far behind so I rescued Lou a 10 year old Poodle. Lou decides he wants to go for a ride so he sits next to the rear door of the 38 and will not come out of the garage until he gets his ride. Gracie went down 6 months ago and if I didn’t have Lou I would be a basket case. He made it easier. Don’t be stupid like I was after Max go rescue a dog in need asap. Your life will be richer for it. The outside of a dog is good for the inside of man. 

I miss Max (no pic) Sophie and Grace but having Lou to love me and ride along makes the drive so much better. 
dave s 

B8DE35C8-A953-4811-8456-E3B43A7CEDF6.jpeg

F611440F-D2CB-42E4-84EB-D02AFE1700D6.jpeg

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

71D68F88-463A-4E0D-8966-D484B87C9AFC.jpeg.4bc7239492034d4a17055b4584c4fc25.jpeg

Here are our almost 15 year old beagle/fox terrier mix, Mac (Mackenzie) helping me install a new heat A/C blower motor resistor in our 2005 Suburban (bought new, 149k miles).  Rosie, our black lab puppy was a Christmas present for my wife.  At the vet yesterday she was 27 pounds (22 pounds less than 4 weeks ago) on her way to her maximum capacity of about 65 pounds!  Both photos were taken about a week ago…

93150EDB-92C1-43DF-9085-50EE98B57583.jpeg.ea291a25ccfec682f9490a47582e06d8.jpeg

Edited by 63RedBrier (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

My wife and I don't have our own dogs, but we have three grand-doggies who frequently come to visit and stay.  Here are Poppy and Buster who, frankly, would rather be snuggled up to my wife than be with me.  Poppy (left) was a rescue dog from a Chinese medical lab - don't EVER try to touch her front paws where she probably got injected with who knows what.  Buster was another rescue, a Puerto Rican street dog brought to the U.S. as a puppy.  My older daughter took in both of them.  Buster is the quiet one at age 8, Poppy is the feisty instigator at age 4.  The third grand-doggie is a 60 lb yellow lab from when my younger daughter lived in the Netherlands.  So, three foreign-born dogs.

poppyandbuster2022sm.jpg.9ece0345082d5e894f5ae9db792f4925.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1