Fender Skirts --- Thumbs Up or Down ?

Crusty Trucker

On 11/29/2022 at 8:20 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

I like anything in skirts, especially women and old cars with whitewalls.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:25 PM, SC38dls said:

Paul, I agree. I met my wife 54 years ago when she walked in a bar with a short skirt and great legs. Love at first site. 
dave s 

1968 - era of miniskirts - I was to transport gifts from a friend's fiancee's lingerie shower.

Long legs, short miniskirt, fantastic smile, amazing package - married over 52 years ,

'nuff said ---

Oops - make that 53-1/2 years

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Slightly off-topic but is a good case for skirts-

Has anyone noticed women with ugly legs and feet are the first to put on a miniskirt and sandals?😏

Like some cars with not-so-great rear fender lines, skirts can be an improvement.

And so as not to be accused of sexism, guys will do the same thing with shorts and flipflops!😬

• Haha 3

Fender skirts look fantastic on cars that are part of the 1940s-to-1960s aerodynamic movement, when they were trying to make cars look (to varying degrees) like teardrops or other aerodynamic shapes.  The fender skirt ensures the consistency of the teardrop look.  For example, I think an XK120 coupe looks much better with than without: 

2071706381_ScreenShot2022-11-29at9_18_55PM.png.beb33dd9db6048f6b22219d13f101ce3.png

1929105871_ScreenShot2022-11-29at9_19_16PM.png.e4c2e203ada887ea972bb79e1f5a3a03.png

• Like 6

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Club Coupe yes, but why do they make the 49-51 sedans look so frumpy? Amazing what a slightly longer rear deck can do for styling. Think 30s Lincoln-Zephyr coupes, which btw also look fantastic in skirts.

Well observed. I don't like them on the sedans either. Also, I don't think they are "necessary" to make the Club Coupe look good. It shines either way, but the skirts tend to accentuate its slightly more rakish lines. 

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Slightly off-topic but is a good case for skirts-

Has anyone noticed women with ugly legs and feet are the first to put on a miniskirt and sandals?😏

Like some cars with not-so-great rear fender lines, skirts can be an improvement.

And so as not to be accused of sexism, guys will do the same thing with shorts and flipflops!😬

Women with ugly Legs??   Nah, just some not as attractive as most.😁

Ben

• Haha 3

Another case of 'split personality' is the 1970 Riviera.  It was obviously designed for skirts, but I feel the full skirts reduce the 'sport' (as in Gran Sport) and really accentuate the 'personal luxury' look.  I generally prefer the 'mini-skirts' on these, but would never put full skirts on a GS...

1970 Buick Riviera GS | Showdown Auto Sales - Drive Your Dream

1970 Buick Riviera | Connors Motorcar Company

And to beat this horse once more, I totally agree with @Pfeil and @rocketraider when it comes to the '65 - '66 full-size Pontiacs.  We had a '66 Catalina coupe with skirts when I was a kid.  I really didn't like them at the time, but now I think they can look really nice...

1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 - CLASSIC.COM

...so, I like these both ways!  ;)

1966 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 : r/classiccars

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Fender skirts look fantastic on cars that are part of the 1940s-to-1960s aerodynamic movement, when they were trying to make cars look (to varying degrees) like teardrops or other aerodynamic shapes.  The fender skirt ensures the consistency of the teardrop look.  For example, I think an XK120 coupe looks much better with than without: 

2071706381_ScreenShot2022-11-29at9_18_55PM.png.beb33dd9db6048f6b22219d13f101ce3.png

1929105871_ScreenShot2022-11-29at9_19_16PM.png.e4c2e203ada887ea972bb79e1f5a3a03.png

totally agree look a different car with skirts just my personal opinion

In the case of the 60s Pontiacs, the skirts both complemented and completed the "Coke-bottle" styling goal. I like them either way though I think the Grand Prix looks truer to form without them.

Again, how well a car pulls off wearing fender skirts depends a lot on whether the skirt was "designed in" to the car's overall styling. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 5:57 PM, Pfeil said:

There is no way around some Cadillac's because of the structure behind the skirt.

Still, most of the 57-58 Cadillac line was all about sweep cut, so much so they put wheel well molding on them to drive home the point. My favorite GM 57 car.

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe DeVille 2 door hardtop | Flickr1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville Silver Brocade Pattern Cloth & Black Leather  Stock # 233 for sale near Torrance, CA | CA Cadillac DealerOldSchool on Twitter: "1957 Cadillac Coupe Deville https://t.co/pdRzd8MUzy"  / Twitterimage.jpeg.285ff45898981f2244546b584e544682.jpeg

I agree...the skirts on the early '60's Cadillacs work visually. It seems that for '60's era cars with heavily contoured rear quarters ('61 to '63 Cadillac, the big '65 Pontiac that you mentioned, '65 Chrysler,  4th gen T-Birds, etc.) fender skirts could work fairly well. However, it seems to me that styling during the '60's was generally moving away from those kind of contours. From a 3/4 view, the '65 Pontiac looks fine with skirts because the skirt gives continuity for the heavy contour line. From a side view (like you showed), though, the Pontiac looks better with the rear wheel well open - no skirts. It makes the car look less ponderous.

Most cars of that era didn't have those contours. A '65 Impala, '65 Galaxie, or big '65 Olds (and all of those clean looking midsize cars of all makes) with fender skirts? I don't think so. Of course, fender skirts came back with a vengeance in the 1970's with the full size behemoths that Detroit was selling. I have less of an opinion about skirts on those cars because I'm less a fan of that styling, in general.

The profile views of the '57-8 Cadillac you showed looks great. I can see why you like them. Cadillac got it right those years.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The 55er said:

Big thumbs up to skirts on the 1965-1966 Pontiacs and even on the 1967-1968 big cars too. Definitely NOT on the 1961-1964 Pontiacs though. They seem like a popular accessory on the 1959s but on the 1960 model year I'm not so sure. 

Interesting what you said about the 59. Since the new 1949 models (probably before) there was a skirt option on a Pontiac. 1957 Pontiac has sweep cut styling (1st time), and there was a factory skirt for the car, but in 59 there was no skirt in Pontiacs option book. I speculate that Knudsen might have had something to do with that.

All American Classic Cars: 1957 Pontiac Chieftain 2-Door Sedan  1957, Pontiac, Chieftain, Catalina, Coupe, Cars Wallpapers HD / Desktop and  Mobile Backgroundslip bulge and shadows 

1959 Pontiac Catalina - Automobiles and Parts - Buy/Sell - Antique  Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums1959 Pontiac Catalina | Premier Auctionrolled lip causing sun refraction, shadow below it. Aftermarket.

• Like 2

Some 70's and 80's cars had integral skirts and would look funny without them.

1975 Cadillac Coupe DeVille | GAA Classic Cars1976 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - sold  for $19,250 on November 30, 2022 (Lot #92,092) | Bring a Trailer1984 Oldsmobile 98

Mercury has the advantage over Ford even though both cars are styled similar because the Merc has smooth rear wheel arches compared to the rolled Fords, but both cars were made for a skirt.

1978 Mercury Marquis | Connors Motorcar Company1977 Ford LTD Landau in a two tone paint package. These were options that  became very popular. Available in various… | Ford ltd, American classic  cars, Classic cars

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

30s/40s, no. `49 and later, with OEM skirts, yes. They are naked without them.

You didn't read the earlier post?

Car Style Critic: 1942 Buick: Front and Rear Fenders Meet1942 Buick Roadmaster Sedanet | T147 | Indy 2019

Lets look at a 1942 Buick Roadmaster that has "Air Foil body styling". The flowing line of the car starts at the front and exits through the end of the skirt. The car would look incomplete without it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

You didn't read the earlier post?

Car Style Critic: 1942 Buick: Front and Rear Fenders Meet1942 Buick Roadmaster Sedanet | T147 | Indy 2019

Lets look at a 1942 Buick Roadmaster that has "Air Foil body styling". The flowing line of the car starts at the front and exits through the end of the skirt. The car would look incomplete without it.

I could give those a thumbs up, they look to be OEM. I`m not going to slice and dice someone for their opinion..

On 12/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, DRH said:

Here's our 57,  you make the call.Don

20210421_104514.jpg

Resized_20211020_094206.jpeg

The pictures answer the question.  Fender skirts are intended to enhance the visual sweep of the rear quarters therefore should not be defined or noticeable.  The stamped-in flares negate that.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’d say if the car came equipped with fender skirts then I defer to the manufacturer’s better judgement. In the case of adding f/s to the car it is a matter of personal taste. No arguing personal taste.

What is important is how the owner demonstrates his pride in owning the car. Is the car clean, neat, shows love and consideration? If all the positives are checked regarding time invested in caring for the car the fender skirts are insignificant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I’d say if the car came equipped with fender skirts then I defer to the manufacturer’s better judgement. In the case of adding f/s to the car it is a matter of personal taste. No arguing personal taste.

What is important is how the owner demonstrates his pride in owning the car. Is the car clean, neat, shows love and consideration? If all the positives are checked regarding time invested in caring for the car the fender skirts are insignificant.

The problems can sometimes arise when different departments get involved. I can say that from experience. I've seen a beautiful car come out of styling and is finalized for production, and then the marketing people get involved and contact accessory development and put some accessory (like a skirt or some graphics) on the car that does not go with the styling of the car. The poor styling guy is pulling his hair out and BTW, has my greatest sympathy.

Example, this pop art breaks up the flowing lines of the car and is considered (on the show field) stock. I bet the stylist didn't like it.

1969 Super Bee by David Lee Thompson | Dodge super bee, Dodge charger super  bee, Plymouth muscle cars69 Dodge Super Bee – Dennis' Garage of Classic Cars