white walls love them or hate them

31 LaSalle

I have a 1928 chrysler 72 conv coupe the previous owner had fitted a full set of white wall

because they were on when I got the car I will live with them for now

not really my choice

would my car have had the option of whitewalls or were they not available in 1928

if not when did whitewall become available

do they suit my car or would it look better with black walls

your thoughts good or bad welcome

car1.jpg

I think I am one of the few that like white walls. I have come to appreciate a car without them just as much though. For you car with the light coloured body I think that blackwalls would look much better. I watch a lot of old movies from the 30's and see quite a few cars from that era sporting white walls.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think the white walls would work if the wheel and rim color were not light in color, and the brake drums painted black! That is modern restoration addition to add "bling" if they were in a darker color the whole appearance of the car would change . Make a print of the photo you have here, get a felt tip marker of the same color as the maroon on the car and then color in the wood spokes and the rim they mount into, use a black marker on the brake drums when you color the picture too. the whole appearance of the car will change . wheels are spheres and act as a bulls eye , darker color will lessen that.  If the wheels are painted a darker color they can be enhanced with a fine pin stripe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Make a print of the photo you have here, get a felt tip marker of the same color as the maroon on the car and then color in the wood spokes and the rim they mount into, use a black marker on the brake drums when you color the picture too. the whole appearance of the car will change .

I agonized over a slightly different question on my '38 Century.  The car had blackwalls when I bought it and that was my plan for the replacements - until I found they were not available anywhere...  So, given I was forced to whitewalls, my question became keep the Dante Red wheels, or go body color (black).  I looked for pictures of similar cars online and found a pair of pictures showing the two options.  I then played the 'eye exam' game for about 20 minutes; "which is better, this or that..."  Ultimately I went with the black rims and am happy with the decision.  I will say the wide whitewalls with black wheels makes for a more formal look than the red with blackwalls.

For your car, I think the blackwall tires would provide more contrast with the light wheels and body side color.  If you decide to change (i.e., darken) the wheels, then the whitewalls might be worth a second look...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Walt is spot on. Paint the drums black. Paint the wood on the wheels a darker shade than the body. We use photo shop to make changes. Works great.

Nice car. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Walt G said:

...the whole appearance of the car will change.  Wheels are spheres and act as a bulls eye, darker color will lessen that.  If the wheels are painted a darker color they can be enhanced with a fine pin stripe.

Walt is an automotive researcher and has a background

in art, so I say he knows whereof he speaks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What is the story with the body? Was it built later in the car's life? The style, with its slanted windshield suggests a later date.

I have never been a fan of 'bare wood look' wood wheels. I am sure that back in the day they were mostly painted either body colour, or in a contrasting colour.

Along with others here I am not a fan of white walls on cars of this era, even though they may have been available when the car was new.

• Like 1

One point about the late '20s to 1930 Chryslers (other than Imperials to which this doesn't apply) is that I have feel the WB is relatively short and the hood quite high with fenders down low a bit and the rims seem small in diameter to me. Anything to de-emphasize the wheels is what I'd aim for. The blackwalls blend more into the shadow under the fenders as noted in the recent photoshopped photo). I realize in real life the situation may look different. The light fender undersides on the subject car tend to re-emphasize the wheel size a bit though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Matt Harwood said:

Tell them your five colors theory. That made a lot of sense when weighing tire choices.

Matt, I wish it was my theory. I forget who told me, someone at Hershey. Steve, was that you? Walt?

Five color theory states that you can’t have more than five colors on the car or it looks stupid. That includes the black on the outer tire, the white wall, the wheel color,  pinstriping, interior, top, fender color, and body  color.

White walls just add an extra color for no reason. I hate them with a burning firey passion, but this is a logical argument against them.

Walt can probably explain the five colors, maybe he’s the one that told me?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

This should give you a better idea.  I like the spokes the natural wood color to compliment the tan top. The darker wheels seem to tone down the white on the car. 

car1.jpg.cf6a9022bbb9b358ea41d78ebbe85eea copy.jpg

The wheels in this photo are too busy - 4 different colors within a 16-18" diameter circle; 5 colors in whatever diameter circle with the tire. I think given the color of the car, it will be damn hard to get a color or colors for the rims that will look good. There's just too much white. Was that bright white a factory color?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Matt, I wish it was my theory. I forget who told me, someone at Hershey. Steve, was that you? Walt?

Five color theory states that you can’t have more than five colors on the car or it looks stupid. That includes the black on the outer tire, the white wall, the wheel color,  pinstriping, interior, top, fender color, and body  color.

White walls just add an extra color for no reason. I hate them with a burning firey passion, but this is a logical argument against them.

Walt can probably explain the five colors, maybe he’s the one that told me?

That theory isn't just for cars. Having been a painting & decorating contractor since 1981, and painting for 50+ years, the theory can be and is used in fields requiring color selections.

Nope, it wasn't me who mentioned the 5 color theory being discussed here.

White walls -  Tires when first used in the 1902-1910 era could be all white - I mean tread and everything or a light gray. I like the look of white walls on larger cars , makes them appear not so "heavy" ( possibly dumpy) looking. If you view period factory literature a good deal of it shows the cars with white walls and it wasn't because the dealership was trying to spend the customers $ on accessories.  I do not care for white walls on all cars. The "everymans" everyday drivers like Ford model t and model A , Plymouth in the 1928-32 era, Essex, 4 cylinder Chevys etc. all look better in black wall. Some big sedans in the 1935-1942 era with black walls look very heavy and commercial/taxi/barge /hearse like if they don't have white wall tires. The larger diameter the wheel and if it has wood spokes ,that are really long can make the whole wheel take on the appearance of a roulette wheel. UGH. If it has disc wheels of the same diameter that are painted a neutral or complimentary color to the body /fenders then they look fine. I will stop here this is starting to turn into a article that needs visual examples of ( which I have) but would make it to long .

I agree that the car in question has a lot of conflict especially because of the light /bright color on the fenders and sides of the body .

Nuff said for me on this topic.

WG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In this 1931 Chrysler CD8 Showroom photo, blackwall tires was the only style used, including for all models, Roadsters, Sedans, Coupes, even Imperial models. Note when the Roadster even has a fancy sidemount cover, the tires are still black only. As well, all factory photos I have seen show only blackwalls, including the various pictures shown here. Even the early design illustrations only show blackwalls.  Yet, virtually every restored 1931 Chrysler CD8 wears wide whitewalls (I have included one such photo). I suspect this "conversion" to whitewalls as a "standard" for restoration began in the 50's/60's, and as a result wide whites have come to be seen as the norm, even though not a factory standard. The cars had blackwalls only from factory. I suspect 1928 Chryslers were dressed the same way from the factory, blackwalls only, and any conversion to WW's occurred at dealer. The 1931 cars used a chrome trim ring/lock ring which was set off by the dark spoked wheels and the black tires. So 31 LaSalle, my advice, next tire change, go to blackwalls.

1931 Chrysler CD8 Showroom.jpeg

ChryImage (2).jpg

ChryImage (6).jpg

Chry1.jpg

ChryImage (7).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

George, do you know the origin?

No, I don't. I've never seen it written in a textbook or other learning materials when I was in school for painting & decorating, but we learned about mixing too many colors in too small an area. Also, the theory was in play quite often when working with interior decorators & interior designers, but never specifically mentioned as such. "The 5 color theory."

image.png.eefefc345ae522e3f1c7154688c9e43c.png

image.png.5305a77a3985a59980b37fa99dd3e035.png

I like the blackwalls, for the price of tires... I would start by painting the drums black and see how  it looks.  You can always turn the tires around to the blackwall.

You might want to find a local computer artist, and let them try different looks on the computer.  It would be a cheap to see how it looks without spending much money.  I would check to see if you have a local school with a Grahapic Arts program the instructor would be able to find you a student that would love the challange.

I am always a fan of original color combinations.

image.png.75646e14bd81a25eba8f2134f92dc2c0.png

• Like 3

Here we go again with the white wall topic. While I do agree they’ve been put on cars they shouldn’t be on and that some car manufacturers didn’t really offer them, buts stating that as a rule is totally incorrect. As I’ve pointed out many times, if you look at 1932 Oldsmobile for example and the factory photos, 9 out of 10 photos show white walls on all the different models. My own car, for example, a 32 Oldsmobile convertible coupe, is shown in every factory photo, in every color combination with whitewalls. With my car being black with a tan roof, cream white pinstriping/ saddles, brown varnished wood wheels (dare I say varnished, not painted, yet it was a factory option), brown roof trim, and chrome trim that puts e at the 5 color rule. I do know the color combinations on my car are how it was delivered but I can’t say it came with white walls. I can say that I read an article where a customer mentioned purchasing a DCR like mine from the dealer and he mentions that the car came with whitewalls because when they wore out he couldn’t afford to replace them and instead installed black walls. Between reading articles like this, knowing a man who’s dad bought a 32 olds new with white walls, and seeing the majority of the factory photos, I can come to a pretty obvious conclusion that at least Oldsmobile throws the non factory whitewall theory right out the window and hopefully people will stop making blanket statements when the facts show differently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Without fail, every (and I think I have all of them)1931 Chrysler De Luxe large format  print ad has their complete line of automobiles, not just Imperials, with white wall tires. I also have an original factory brochure which does not. Then as it is now, it is the buyers preference.

chrysler 1931 range.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, alsancle said:

Most of you guys know what I’m gonna say, so I’m not gonna say it.

would love to no    YES OR NQ

BLACK OR WHITE

I'm shocked the world's foremost hater of whitewalls has not opined yet!  So there is one of our esteemed members not from the East that feels that way! :)  I like whitewalls but NOT on every car.  Some cars definitely look better with blackwalls.  I'm just glad we have tires for the most part to keep our old iron on the road!

• Like 5