Car Event - CarMania in Hershey - July 24th

The staff and friends of AACA's new building are putting on a one day event for all kinds of cars.  It is meant to be a welcome to the community type of event and is free to everyone. It is not a AACA car show but a community celebration day.  As such, we are opening it up to all kinds of vehicles and hope that we can expose them to what we do here at AACA.  Everyone will get a magazine and get a chance to tour the facility.  Please feel free to join us.

It is just a way to share our property (and the October show field) with the public.  It is a day we can educate people on what we stand for and we are sure that "no animals will be harmed" in allowing this one day event to deviate from our mission.

We have room for at least a 1,000 cars so join us for a fun day.

CARmania 2022 #4 (003).jpg

• Like 15

CarMania 2022 FAQ

When: Sunday, July 24, 2022

Time: 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM

Where: AACA National Headquarters, 800 W. Hersheypark Drive, Hershey, PA

(park in field behind building, enter from Hockersville Rd)

Cost: FREE! FREE! FREE! 

Vehicles Eligible: ANY! Antiques, hot rods, customs, rat rods, sports cars, etc.

Awards: No judging BUT three very high-end awards to be chosen for car owners by Wayne Carini, host of Chasing Classic Cars; Chris Ritter, AACA Library Director; and Steve Moskowitz, AACA CEO. Awards presented at 2 PM.

Food: Free coffee and donuts. Food trucks and ice cream stand for later in the day at your expense.

Activities:

Pinewood Derby: “Run what you brung!” Bring your own, use ours, challenge your friends, wager on the side. No rules except to have fun! All day activity.

Racing Simulators: We will have four racing simulators so you can test your racing skills! Sit in a race seat and watch the big screens! Challenge your friends! All day activity.

Wayne Carini: Wayne and his sidekick Ralph Marano are expected here for the day. As always, Wayne will be happy to take pictures, sign autographs and may be bringing his books for sale.

Pinstriping Demo: Hot Rod Jen will have a display of her art and will do some pinstriping. Some lucky audience member may get to try their hand at striping a car as well! 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM

Seminar: In our library, the “Wonderful World of Wild and Wacky Cars” will be presented by Chris Ritter, Library Director. Cool video presentation of early nutty cars. 11:00 AM-12:00 PM

Seminar: Automotive artist Dan Reed will have his works on display and have an informal seminar about how his paintings evolve. 1:00 PM

Ride in an Old Car: Throughout the day, we plan to offer rides in a vintage car or truck. More details on this soon.

Tour Our Building: AACA’s new building will be open for tours. See the magnificent collection of cars, memorabilia, artwork and the world’s largest automotive library. All day event.

Free Magazines: A free issue of the award-winning Antique Automobile magazine will be given to all participants.

Kids Area: Plans are underway for various activities for youth from video games to coloring.

MORE INFORMATION WILL BE ADDED AS WE FIRM UP OUR PLANS.

PLEASE JOIN US FOR A FUN DAY AND HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!

• Like 12

FAAANTASTIC!!! I can remember talking about this concept a long time ago-an AACA "open house" where everyone is welcome and we can show what we do and how we enjoy old cars. Wish we were closer. Anxious to see the greatest cruise in ever!

Terry

This sounds like a great time and I wish I could attend. Helping my older brother move into his new home that weekend. 😟  There will be some grumbling I'm sure but the exposure to the AACA will be a positive thing I think. 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

We expect pictures to be posted.

And coverage in Antique Automobile!😃 There'll be enough original and restored to original vehicles to get a good spread and possibly a feature article. The modified stuff can be photo backgrounds.

We can only hope fuel prices won't affect turnout. They sure make me try to do as much as I can in a trip!

42 minutes ago, lump said:

Sounds like a great idea to me. We folks who love cool cars need to promote and support the entire spectrum of the car hobby every chance we get...especially these days. 

Well said. I’ve learned it only takes one encounter with one good person to open up another genre of the hobby you didn’t know about. 

Good Stuff 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

I think this is a wonderful idea.  We need to 'reach across the aisle'.  There is plenty of room under the tent for all.

AACA is all about cars - certainly antique and important cars ( race, etc) - and while I PREFER antique.....

Well done.

• Like 4

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Car Event - CarMania in Hershey - July 24th

This seems to be a "AACA Forums" in person gathering!!  . I won't be able to make this but wish all well and it is an outstanding opportunity to showcase the car club that caters to all collectors.  I hope the two fellows mentioned that will be there appreciate the opportunity it presents for them to be seen in person as it will no doubt promote their shows on the tv screen. A grand idea that will benefit many and all attending with the spirit of the preservation of automotive history .  I sincerely wish all who use this forum, look at it every day for entertainment and knowledge but do not belong to AACA step up and do the right thing! Join AACA!

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

This seems to be a "AACA Forums" in person gathering!!  . I won't be able to make this but wish all well and it is an outstanding opportunity to showcase the car club that caters to all collectors.  I hope the two fellows mentioned that will be there appreciate the opportunity it presents for them to be seen in person as it will no doubt promote their shows on the tv screen. A grand idea that will benefit many and all attending with the spirit of the preservation of automotive history .  I sincerely wish all who use this forum, look at it every for entertainment and knowledge but do not belong to AACA step up and do the right thing! Join AACA!

Walt, hope you are doing and feeling better. I remember your recent post that you were undergoing surgery, so hope all is well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much,  doing ok. (don't want to stray from this topic! ) I am coping with the very limited use of my left shoulder and arm while healing. It lets me know instantly if I am misbehaving with great  acclaim. I have taken a dozen steps back from any activity , had to, not happy with that at all as the weather is now clear and warm and dry. But I have to comply with a 12 page Don't Do list  or will be in trouble . Thanks for asking.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the support everyone!  This is shaping up to be a great event!  We are adding more fun things to do during the day so you have options.  Stay with your car and enjoy talking to people or take advantage of all the activities that will be going on during the day.  You will still have time to go to Chocolate World or go to Hersheypark.  Lots going on in town that day as well.  We are really looking forward to hosting a large crowd here.  Now to figure out how many donuts to order!! :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sincere thanks to all at AACA HQ and members in the area that are working so hard, putting in the time to make this a really happy day for all.  If you do attend take the few minutes of time to say THANK YOU to all who are there working that day to let everyone else have a great time. It is your club at work, some creative thinking on behalf of the club and the staff to promote the preservation and APPRECIATION of vehicle history. Do not let the recognition of this effort  fall by the wayside for all the people spending so much time to make all of this work .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, Robert Street said:

I am thinking about being there with a car but will have to trailer it. Trailer staging and parking? John if you bring the 60 I’ll bring the 61!

Robert

I would love to do it, but I 'm having a few health issues involving my mobility so I am not going to take a chance and take it down, as Clint Eastwood said in one of the Dirty Harry movies " A man has to know his limitations" If I have a problem with the trailer it could be a real big problem for me, so.........

I still planning on coming down for the day as a spectator and spending the night most likely Sunday just avoid all the traffic going to and over GW bridge 

However I am going to be taking my 54 Belair down to the Virginia Festival of the Wheel to display in August.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

On 6/24/2022 at 12:42 PM, Bills Auto Works said:

I think this is a GREAT Idea & anyone who has a problem with it should "take the stick out of his backside"

This is something I would very much enjoy attending, unfortunately I would not be home from my honeymoon in time. While my future wife would not have a problem with attending it, as she loves the cars & shows, we have already booked our room, etc for said honeymoon!

I also think this would be great as an annual thing!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

What a great place to spend your honeymoon, think about it. A way to spend quality time with the two loves of your life, together all at the same time...

Edited by Oldschoolantiqueauto (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Our event keeps getting better and better.  Should be a terrific crowd and more activities to join in on if you wish.  Wayne Carini is bringing a famous movie star car that the younger enthusiasts in the crowd will eat up.  From the "Fast & Furious" movies.  We believe a very early Fiat race car will join us among many other great cars. The local street rod club has us on their calendar and it will be nice for a chance to meet in fellowship and love of cars.  Maybe some of the folks will get a renewed sense of appreciation for our cars and vice versus.  Maybe we can even get them to join AACA!

• Like 2

This would be an excellent show to make an annual event.

It would certainly make AACA more visible, and car fans

from a few states away would look forward to it every year.

If so, please move it to a SATURDAY.  I'll never be able to

attend on a Sunday, due to conflicts.  Car shows aren't my

first priority that day.