Do you say motor, or engine?

Looking at motors/engines for sale. And I have seen  that the use of the words engine and motor. Depends on how you describe the motor, or engine. Would you say “it has a Hemi engine” or “it has a Hemi motor”? That car has a 350 motor in it. Or the engine is a 350. Searching parts do you use the word motor, or engine? 

I've always referred to internal combustion engines as engines, and electric motors as motors. No doubt google search will offer a multiple of viewpoints, but this is my practice. Back in the day, so many dealerships, garages and service stations were named "Bay Motors", "Highland Motors", "Island Motors", even though they only sold cars with engines! 

• Like 8

However in Marine practice, ships with I.C. power are refered to as Motor Vessels. The alternative to this would be a Steam Ship. No one answer is right in all cases. Google ship names, most of them are the M.V. whatever. Pre 1960's many were the S.S. Whatever  { Steam Ship }.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

In the industrial world of stationary rotating equipment we are very specific with electric motors referred to as motors and gasoline or natural gas powered internal combustion engines classified as engines.  But it doesn’t keep me from occasionally calling a car’s engine a motor.  A carryover from my youth I guess...

• Like 1

Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company, Packard Motor Car Company....

In the first part of the last century, "motor" was used as a verb where we would today use the verb "drive", e.g., We motored from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and the gerund "motoring" was used to denote an activity.

Today, I agree that common usage indicates that "motors" are electric, and ICE devices are "engines," but 'twas not always so....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

However in Marine practice, ships with I.C. power are refered to as Motor Vessels. The alternative to this would be a Steam Ship. No one answer is right in all cases. Google ship names, most of them are the M.V. whatever. Pre 1960's many were the S.S. Whatever  { Steam Ship }.

Canadian Pacific's first diesel powered ship designed as a  west coast car ferry was actually named the MV Motor Princess.  She kept that name for 32 years 1923-55.

• Like 1

The definition of a MOTOR is a device that changes some source of energy into motion. That could be hydraulic fluid under pressure turning a shaft using an hydraulic motor or even the stroke of a cylinder. A windmill using the power of moving air is a motor ( hence the AEROMOTOR brand of windmills). A water wheel driving a gristmill or electric generator is a motor. Cars whether electric steam or gasoline have a motor. 

A special subset of motors that use heat as their source of energy are called "heat engines", whether external combustion steam or internal combustion gasoline or diesel. Now an archaic term that has been shortened in common practice to "engine". 

Thus steam and gasoline cars can be said to have either a motor or an engine but electric cars only have a motor!

Enter semantics, the English language is full of exceptions to the rule caused by common usage. A railroad engine seems to be always an engine because it pulls the train down the tracks regardless of whether it is steam, diesel or electric powered!

Yes clear as mud!!

• Like 4

I always find it curious people get so hung up on this. Having worked on cars from all over the world, one thing that stands out is that most if not all of the countries who got into the automotive game early call it a motor or something similar. We English speakers are all by ourselves in insisting on calling it an "engine", and we don't even do it consistently. We have motoring, motorboat, motorcar, motorway (UK), Mopar (it's a contraction of Motor Parts), motel (a contraction of motor and hotel) and the list goes on.

Italian -- motore

French -- moteur

German -- motor

Swedish -- motor

Czech -- motor

.....ad infinitum

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Grimy said:

In the first part of the last century, "motor" was used as a verb where we would today use the verb "drive", e.g., We motored from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and the gerund "motoring" was used to denote an activity.

This is the correct answer to the confusion that exists today.

34 minutes ago, Layden B said:

The definition of a MOTOR is a device that changes some source of energy into motion. That could be hydraulic fluid under pressure turning a shaft using an hydraulic motor or even the stroke of a cylinder. A windmill using the power of moving air is a motor ( hence the AEROMOTOR brand of windmills). A water wheel driving a gristmill or electric generator is a motor. Cars whether electric steam or gasoline have a motor. 

A special subset of motors that use heat as their source of energy are called "heat engines", whether external combustion steam or internal combustion gasoline or diesel. Now an archaic term that has been shortened in common practice to "engine". 

Thus steam and gasoline cars can be said to have either a motor or an engine but electric cars only have a motor!

I think Layden has answered the question.

Save his answer for the next time this question 

comes up on the forum.  Thank you, Layden!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Steam Engine,  Electric Motor,   Gasoline Engine,  Diesel Engine.

You left out a few, steam turbine, gas turbine are engines as well as jet engines and turbojets. We never call a piston engine a piston motor.

image.jpeg.55bc6dd1abdce7b38b6b8da1c58e6456.jpeg I know what's wrong---it's not a motor!

Indy 500 all about tradition, many endure, some fade away | GRAND PRIX 247image.jpeg.b036cf92391d9771b5841b934d3e3750.jpeg

Flying and Improving Your Guillow's Sky Streak – endlessLiftstart your.....Rubber Band!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

You left out a few, steam turbine, gas turbine are engines as well as jet engines and turbojets. We never call a piston engine a piston motor.

image.jpeg.55bc6dd1abdce7b38b6b8da1c58e6456.jpeg I know what's wrong---it's not a motor!

Indy 500 all about tradition, many endure, some fade away | GRAND PRIX 247image.jpeg.b036cf92391d9771b5841b934d3e3750.jpeg

Flying and Improving Your Guillow's Sky Streak – endlessLiftstart your.....Rubber Band!

It is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, not the Indianapolis Engine Speedway.  That being the case, shouldn't the starter say "Gentlemen, start your motors?"

9 hours ago, dictator27 said:

It is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, not the Indianapolis Engine Speedway.  That being the case, shouldn't the starter say "Gentlemen, start your motors?"

When racing there started back then, the vehicles were known as motors. Hence the motor speedway name. Maybe in the olden days they did say "start your motors".

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

I always find it curious people get so hung up on this. Having worked on cars from all over the world, one thing that stands out is that most if not all of the countries who got into the automotive game early call it a motor or something similar. We English speakers are all by ourselves in insisting on calling it an "engine", and we don't even do it consistently. We have motoring, motorboat, motorcar, motorway (UK), Mopar (it's a contraction of Motor Parts), motel (a contraction of motor and hotel) and the list goes on.

Italian -- motore

French -- moteur

German -- motor

Swedish -- motor

Czech -- motor

.....ad infinitum

Exactly!!  And as Layden B also pointed out, the English language is littered with too many words that mean the same thing.  Ask for the Italian word for engine  and you get motore.  In French you will get two words - moteur (masculine) and motrice (feminine). Engine in German, Swedish and Czech will give you motor.  

I think I'm going to engine over to the liquor store and by me a case of beer. 😁

• Haha 2

On 5/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

You go and buy new motor mounts at the auto parts store. Not new engine mounts.

I couldn't locate motor mounts for my 57 Ranchero on Rock Auto's   

I called Rock Auto and asked the young lady if there was another term

for motor mounts?   She replied:   "We're not mechanics".   

The local parts house had the correct motor mounts.

Here is a boring fact:  the Ford 390 V8 is a over bored 352.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
re-position text again (see edit history)