What's in the glove box and trunk of a 50s car?

Mr. Reed

I have an interesting question for you. I have pondered what was carried in the trunks and glove boxes in the 50s verses now. In my 04 LeSabre there are some straws, flashlight, a vinyl fold out pouch for maps and interesting paper things from hotels or attractions I collect from trips. What was found in cars back then. Has anyone set up their car to look like for the decade it came from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Reed said:

I have an interesting question for you. I have pondered what was carried in the trunks and glove boxes in the 50s verses now. In my 04 LeSabre there are some straws, flashlight, a vinyl fold out pouch for maps and interesting paper things from hotels or attractions I collect from trips. What was found in cars back then.

Has anyone set up their car to look like for the decade it came from?

As to your last question I have a hobby offshoot where I build just such set-ups for my friends in the old car hobby. They are for any specific year and no 2 are the same but are similar, $10. P.P. Send me a PM if there is any interest.

11B0930A-DAA6-4759-8BDA-D0FCDC719E94.jpeg

• Like 2

I recently bought a 48 Chrysler and was told that the owner always wore white gloves while driving it.

I found those white gloves in the glove compartment along with a small plastic ice scraper and a radio delete plate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Walling said:

I recently bought a 48 Chrysler and was told that the owner always wore white gloves while driving it.

I found those white gloves in the glove compartment along with a small plastic ice scraper and a radio delete plate.

I found a couple of those small ice scrapers in my car and a pair of thin black gloves stuffed in the area between the seat back and bottom cushion. Both were no doubt belongings of the original owner of my car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bleach said:

I have one of these lights in the glove box of my '56. Never used yet.

Vintage Ford Automotive Accessory - Travling Trouble Light with : Ogee's  Antiques | Ruby Lane

The city where I grew up did not allow on street overnight parking unless the car had a light on it. To avoid a ticket or a dead battery many of us used those very lights to stay legal. I had forgotten all about them 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

As an Illinois resident I expect I can say not from lack of trying.

As a former Illinois resident, I expect I can say I expect you're right...although he was acquitted of tax evasion.  Course there's always Blagojevich, Kerner, Ryan and Walker.

1787064062_GovernorsLicensePlate.thumb.jpg.7eba45d31311ab574470cb7b10700bff.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Local gas/service station give-away items such as ice scrapers and maps for sure but what about these cool little trash bags?1957 Ford dealer dash board hanging trash bags | eBay

That's really cool! Probably wouldn't be overly hard to reproduce and would definitely draw some attention at shows!

My car had an insurance company ice scraper, a couple fuses, and a some spare bulbs. Not too exciting.

• Like 1

I remember having S&H green stamp books in the glove box along with sun glasses, pencil and paper. Maybe a bottle opener, and road maps. In the trunk were tools, chains, rags, always rags and maybe a quart of oil. Dad also use to keep asphalt shingles there in case we would get stuck in ice or snow. And now that I think about it there was one of those folding short handled trenching shovels. A patch kit and there was one of those OD green military surplus tire pumps also. Those and the jack and lug wrench were all stored in a box. Later when we acquired station wagons that box was in the back corner. After we purchased the new 1963 Dodge Dart I think the box disappeared. 

Funny thing is I don't remember there being anything to tow with or jumper cables. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Usually some screws or nuts that fell off somewhere, maybe a spare light bulb. My 49 has some off-brand trading stamps and a small bracket that I can't identify but came off this car somewhere, along with some keys that don't fit anything. Matches would have been typical, maybe a plastic spoon from Tastee Freez (which I found one time.)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bryan G said:

...maybe a plastic spoon from Tastee Freez (which I found one time.)

Good idea, Bryan!  A few old wrappers or cups

or utensils from a period drive-in restaurant.

Remember how opening the glove-compartment

door would reveal places on the lid to set drive-in cups?

An internet sale site such as Ebay might have

such accoutrements.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333613227075

https://www.etsy.com/listing/945452196/1960s-dairy-queen-ice-cream-sundae-cup?

Image 1 - 1950/60's,McDonald's,(SPEEDEE Logo),"Un-Used" (16oz) Paper Cup  (Scarce/Vintage)

1960's  Dairy Queen Ice Cream Sundae Cup Old & Original image 1

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

What did you keep spare bulbs in?

A one owner 51 Nash I once acquired had a little drawstring pipe tobacco bag among the stuff in the glovebox. I am trying to recall what was in it. Not tobacco, and the former owner wasn't a smoker as far as I know. Maybe bulbs or fuses?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

What did you keep spare bulbs in?

A one owner 51 Nash I once acquired had a little drawstring pipe tobacco bag among the stuff in the glovebox. I am trying to recall what was in it. Not tobacco, and the former owner wasn't a smoker as far as I know. Maybe bulbs or fuses?

The ones in there were just in blister packs in a plastic bag. Someone just bought the kind that come in a 2 pack and stuck the extra in there. The tobacco bag is probably more period correct for a '51!

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is a great idea for a thread, and inspired me to open up one of my coveted possessions out of the show case, You might want to shave before that date or an important business meeting. This was a very hard piece to find 40 years ago in a pristine box

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Bloo said:

What tools are in there and what approximate year is that for?

Judging from the part number they would list from 1948 down. The part number I found  is 1949 to 1957 987322. These tool kits really have no right or wrong year back in the day, now judges  do of course would find it incorrect. I did not want to open the snap before,  it just felt a little weak and I did not want to tear the bag I will give it a go later I have some more neat glove box items to photograph later and another tool kit from the late 50's. Thanks for asking. I love this stuff, and I don't really get a chance to share it with anyone that much anymore.  I am starting to thin things down for various reasons, but some of this stuff is hard to part with.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3