What's in the glove box and trunk of a 50s car?

Mr. Reed

16 minutes ago, John348 said:

Thanks,

now here's something that is seldom seen for the trunk that was a Chevrolet Accessory in 1950

My father had similar expanded-metal tire tracks,

which looked very similar.  I don't know when he got

them, but his were after-market.  Thanks for showing

this unusual factory accessory.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

My father had similar expanded-metal tire tracks,

which looked very similar.  I don't know when he got

them, but his were after-market.  Thanks for showing

this unusual factory accessory.

I think a lot these items were just reboxed and sold as GM parts. I see this with 70's compasses made by Sherrill same exact plastic see thru package just a different cardboard insert. The early 60's GM tool kits were the same tool kits on Boston Whaler Boats. It was all out sourced and nobody even noticed or cared 

• Like 1

Crushed and almost empty pack of cigarettes, church key type beer bottle openers, a screwdriver or two, some maps, small pad for notes of oil changes and such, tissue box, owner's manual, flash light, a copy of Hot Rod magazine or maybe Consumer Reports annual auto issue from the year the car was bought, receipt for new tires or battery, old registrations, spare fuses, some change or tokens for tolls, more loose change and old gum wrappers under the seat, a couple of rusty wrenches and some some small part that fell off in the trunk. Every old car I ever bought had most if not all of the above. 

This was an seasonal and regional aftermarket accessory that went in the trunk in the summer and under the seat in the winter (Don I know you did see one of these in SoCal in your Dad's 50 Pontiac) While it might have melted away the ice, it did nothing about the about frost stains the rock salt left behind on your windshield, My mother never smiled like that when she drove in the snow either

IMG_7499.JPG

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We didn't typically have a rock salt problem out west. Dirt? Yes. It was mixed in with the sand they used instead of rock salt. I'm not entirely convinced the SoCal people ever got snow at all, but we sure got a lot of it up here in eastern WA in those days.

Here are some 50s trunk stuff displays from the 2021 Flathead Pontiac Reunion you guys might like:

gS9HqAm.jpg

w1WKNla.jpg

BaY9eZr.jpg

And then there is this thing. I couldn't stop looking at it. It is a metal can, and those things stuck in the foam rubber in top are bulbs. In the bottom is a spare sealed beam headlight, one of the old metal backed ones. What a great 50s accessory, and practical too.

opgBv6p.jpg

9Q0rptB.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

BaY9eZr.jpg

Young'un, the plaid drink jug and pickanick basket would be a great addition to your trunk display. For that matter any metal-body jug would work. Haunt estate sales and auctions, nice ones are easily found. Sometimes the baskets still have their metal or melamine plates and tumblers with them.

Vintage hardside luggage is out there too. What hasn't been converted to a table, anyway. Don't worry about a matched set, many people back then bought pieces as they could afford them. Added benefit is, unless you're touring and need to use them for clothing, they make great storage for your smaller display pieces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I learned the hard way.

Don't dig thru the trunk if you are buying and the seller is present.

I lifted a spare tire once to reveal a large tin cookie can FULL of quarters. Probably more $ in there than I had paid for the car.

The seller had totally forgotten about and of coarse the first thing he said was "Oh, that doesn't go with it" 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, John348 said:

IMG_6470.JPG

That quote should be prominently placed on every new vehicle dashboard, and especially on those equipped with automatic headlight dimmers. Those things don't work from diddly on four-lane divided highways.

Yet old GM Guide-Matics worked pretty doggone good until reflective highway signs appeared and drove the things nuts.

John, I like all your toys. I think Chevrolet offered more neat stuff like that than the other Divisions did. That glovebox drink holder is just cool.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

You might be amazed at the treasure you can find in Goodwill and other thrift shops. I know I've brought way too much of it home.

Ya might even find a 1950s style suit, shoes and fedora in your size!

Yeah I know the feeling. Sometimes it goes back after awhile haha.

Wow. The "Korean Chrome" care booklet. 

Curious what prompted chrome "rationing" during the Korean Conflict. Know it was considered essential to war effort in the Second War.

Some of my 40s war years tools are natural finish or cad plated chrome-vanadium alloy. No chrome plating. They're neat in their way, just have to keep them from rusting.

• Like 2

I forgot all about it and when I took it out to photograph the contents I knew someone would pick up on that, I got some real, real, super cool glove box items in one of my cars I will dig out tomorrow I just got move one or two out of the way to get to it, that blow the Korean War one away.

FYI  From the photo I posted here I got an offer on the Red Head Flashlight I could not refuse!  

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 7:27 PM, John348 said:

You should feel fortunate! I guess they could have served a purpose on the beaches of California

John, To prove a point about So. Cal's diversity a bunch of us guys in our H/S years set out to prove that point.  On one day we surfed for two hours in Manhattan Beach, went to Marine stadium in Long Beach and water skied for a couple of hours, then drove to Mount Baldly and snow skied till dark. Point is, we did spend some time in snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1