1931 Cadillac V-16 Madame X

George Smolinski

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The photograph, to me, seems garish, doing the

well styled car no favors.  Notice how the grass is

an electric green color.  Someone modified the digital

picture to brighten all the features.

The car might be better looking in a natural picture.

From the tag, I wonder if the photographer is Steve Brown.  He has a wonderful set of antique car photos on Flickr from shows and events that he attends: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sjb4photos/albums

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Photo lesson #1, be sure the background if cleared of useless crap. If the guy that owns the car is paying you to take the car photo with him in it, so be it, if not tell him to go buy coffee. Bob 

Kick the pilot rays to align with the wheels. 

Kick the pilot rays to the curb.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I agree, that car is gorgeous but those lights along with all the other bling up front seems to distract from the overall beauty. However, the owner might feel different and it IS HIS CAR…

Nope.....not "his car", we are all just temoprary caretakers for the next owner. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

All interesting comments - Trippe lights and Pilot Ray lights have taken a hit comment wise in the past decade and a half because they wound up on everything from a 1931 Plymouth model Pa to  Duesenberg. Thing is, when they were new although anyone who owned a car could have fitted a driving light - most didn't. They just didn't have the extra $ to do so if you take into account the average wage would have been . The smaller /amber driving lights that started to appear in the late 1930s can be more acceptable from a view point as they blend with the harmony of design and flow of the style of the cars.

Pilot Ray lights have taken on a "bad rep" because they have appeared on a lot of cars. They were reproduced for decades by Don Sommer and people just wanted to add bling to their cars.

I had one ( single) on my 1931 Franklin Derham bodied victoria and it is still there as far as I know with the cars current owner ( right Bob?) . I think the Pilot Ray can look great but mostly only in a single- not a pair of lights.

Just about all car companies offered approved accessories, that they usually placed in a separate sales /promotion piece of literature or alerted salesmen in Dealer's Bulletins. This goes for cars from Chevrolet, to Franklin, to Packard etc. The factory approved choice of bling was not just because an accessory manufacturer offered the car company a good deal but because the design staff and sales staff had input as to what would look best. I have a pair of Saf - D - Lites on the front of my 1930 Packard because that is what is in the Packard Co. sales/accessories catalog. I removed a pair of Trippe lights  and sold those at Hershey. It took a while to find the Saf de Lites. get them restored. I wired them to act as turn signals and added a pair of small lights at the rear to do the same.  The "rest of the crowd" driving on the road do not know what hand signals are and if used usually gets you a smile and a wave back "hello" as the other driver thinks you are being friendly. Usually that just makes me sigh as I know that the other driver hasn't a clue as to what I am trying to convey - BUT , since I am single and if the other driver is female and happy to wave at me - well it all is good..............................🤩

Edited by Walt G
eliminated a repeated word (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

No such a thing as a madam x coupe.   All madam x were sedans. 

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/V6fl4100.htm

Perhaps not officially a Madame X (Not Madam), it does retain some Madam X features, such as the chrome window surrounds, rocker panel trim, and slanted windshield.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Perhaps not officially a Madame X (Not Madam), it does retain some Madam X features, such as the chrome window surrounds, rocker panel trim, and slanted windshield.

Yes.  A coupe with madame x features.  In present day worth more than an a madame x sedan.   But never, in period, considered a madam x.  

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

I thought there was an episode where they "found" a Madame X vehicle.

Yes, I remember that too, American Pickers for those who don’t get the Mutt and Jeff reference.  There was a thread on this forum about the find.

29 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

I thought there was an episode where they "found" a Madame X vehicle.

Found is a term that doesn’t apply in this case. To call it a Madame X, would be like calling me  “Mr. Charming and Handsome.” I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Getting a flaming case of herpes, while digging in a septic tank, isn’t anything to brag about. It was a very interesting, nothing automobile. And they didn’t even buy it themselves; until they were able to stick it to somebody else when it came to the sales number. Made for TV fiction. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I think I watched most of two episodes of 'Pickers'? Couldn't take any more of it than that! And I did really like looking at the backgrounds trying to see what other treasures I could see.

"Reality" television is some subject. A long time ago, a very good friend was on an episode of 'Real People' (remember that show?). We (my wife and I and first baby) were included in the picnic scenes. It was fun, and very interesting. Some day I should tell all about it.

Most of what passes for 'reality television' today? Nothing whatsoever to do with intelligent people in any way!

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

Owned by a well known Canadian collector. 

When ever I think of this fellow I think of this car he has in his salon. It has a great deal of bling and with the split windshield. But I do prefer Georges pick by a long shot. 

2014-06-06 interior 1930 003.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

So, I've heard the term "Madame X Cadillac" many times over the years, without really knowing what made the cars special, compared with other Cadillacs. I followed the link above, and found some info. But I was also confused. The first paragraph or two seems to suggest that there were only two ever made, and one of those was fitted onto different chassis over the years. Later, it becomes obvious that there were more than just two. 

Without asking for too much typing on anyone's behalf...is there a short explanation as to what ingredients really qualifies a Cadillac to be recognized as a "Madame X"? 

I enjoy watching the Pickers.

There was a local article (interview with the family) about a pick in Salem OR that kind of countered the "all hype and scripted" thing.

We all know its all about entertainment. I am easily entertained I guess.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

It's ENTERTAINMENT!    Seeing inside others garages full of stuff makes voyers of all of us.  I still enjoy it!

Very very true, but entertainment is all it is because there’s no flipping way someone follows you home with a huge camera crew and asked if they can dig around in your stuff without getting the serious stink eye or shot at… 

As typically hijacked but I will add my 2c, I thought there was a post on this forum awhile ago from someone that actually had first hand experience with the pickers. If I remember correctly they bought one of his cars. Said it took months of negotiations and the production company actually bought the car and then resold it. Also I believe he said they were there at least all day filming for a few minute segment.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 8:22 PM, lump said:

"So, I've heard the term "Madame X Cadillac" many times over the years, without really knowing what made the cars special, compared with other Cadillacs."...

"Without asking for too much typing on anyone's behalf...is there a short explanation as to what ingredients really qualifies a Cadillac to be recognized as a "Madame X"? 

The Cadillac Sixteen fielded a bewildering variety of Fleetwood series custom bodies which were identified by 4100, 4200 and 4300 by their common design features and details.  The "Madame X" style are the 4100 series characterized by the one-piece, dramatically raked windshield, chrome-framed windows, molding style unique to the series, padded tops and other details.  Compared to the other two series, they presented a sportier, less formal appearance.  Their unique designs are best understood when compared to the other series.    They might be thought of as analogous to the concurrent LeBaron Salon series for Pierce-Arrow and the Dietrich Individual Custom series for Packard.   If one had unlimited financial resources in those immediate Depression onset years, the selection of custom-bodied luxury cars was truly an embarrassment of riches.  These in addition to all the one-off customs which were available simply by request.

• Like 1