BAD NEWS: Hershey Car Show Canceled. GOOD NEWS: Special Fall Nationals - Nov 6-7, Gettysburg PA

Peter Gariepy

OFFICIAL NOTICE REGARDING THE HERSHEY CAR SHOW AND NEW SPECIAL FALL MEET FROM THE AACA NATIONAL BOARD OF DIRECTORS 

There is an old saying about the “best laid plans…” and we had a great plan for the Hershey car show this year.  We worked with all parties and had an agreement on a COVID-19 solution for our show.  We ordered trophies and the Hershey Region ordered judges hats and dash plaques.  We were excited to work together with the Region to make this a great show. Unfortunately, in the last few days we were given a new set of regulations to follow which would have drastically affected the quality of the event in a negative way. As much as we wanted to have the show at the traditional location and be able to show-off the outside of the new AACA headquarters...

...We must cancel the traditional Eastern Division Fall Meet car show (Hershey) on October 9-10.  

We owe it to you to get this right and apologize to all who now must make changes to your schedule, cancel rooms, and most importantly miss being in Chocolate Town, USA. We are however committed to providing our members with a safe, enjoyable, and sensible event this fall. 

We have proven that in a short time and with your cooperation we can pull off a show in another location.  Our 2020 Grand Nationals in Gettysburg was a huge hit and done safely with the complete cooperation of our members.  

We are proud to announce we will host a Special Fall Nationals on November 6-7 at the Wyndham Hotel complex in Gettysburg, PA.  

Everything is onsite, trailer parking, host hotel along with a Marriott Courtyard next door and judging school.  Gettysburg is a great place to find activities in a historic location that offers so much to see.  The potential for cancelation is extremely remote.  We have a well thought out and proven plan. Yes, masks and temperature taking just as we had planned for Hershey will be a requirement. 

Your previous checks will be shredded so please do not worry about them being cashed.  We will be sending a registration for Gettysburg.  Please fill it out and send it in right away.  The Host Hotel is the Wyndham 717-339-0020 and the Marriott Courtyard next door is 717-334-5600.  There is a restaurant on the grounds as well.  We even have overflow trailer parking if needed directly across the street.  Average weather at that time of the year is typical fall.  It will be a great show! 

Judges, you will get a judge’s hat from Hershey as a bonus so please join us.  We need you!

With only three shows this year it may be a great chance for your show car to win a national award as well.  So please join us, it WILL be a great event!!
AACA Board of Directors

• Like 4

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to BAD NEWS: Hershey Car Show Canceled. GOOD NEWS: Special Fall Nationals - Nov 6-7, Gettysburg PA
  • Peter Gariepy pinned this topic

Again I state, THANK YOU to all involved who are not only trying to deal with health concerns to keep all safe and well but the emotions of a lot of people about  no car shows this year especially the Holy Grail of all car events ( yes even over  Pebble Beach, Amelia, etc etc  ) HERSHEY!!!!

All of perhaps need to think beyond our disappointment and realize what an economic hit the local ( 25 mile + radius) Hershey businesses are taking , especially during the week of the annual car "happening". Gas stations, restaurants, hotels, motels, local small stores, the outlet malls, as well as our National AACA who has to sell a lot of great car related stuff on offer - Gonna miss this years t shirt !!!

I thought this was going to happen and prayed on it to. This will be our 3rd Meet there and it is a great location.

Gettysburg at the Wyndam Hotel Compound is the best place to access and make arrangements. Better then Hershey for the show.

Huge Paved Parking lots and lots of room. 

AS ALWAYS EXCELLENT WORK GUYS YOU ROCK!

• Like 2

Letters were sent out to all 835 show car registrants today including a registration card for Gettysburg.  Same for judges...we are asking all judges to follow specific instruction to transfer their registration to Gettysburg.  Judges will get the special Hershey fall meet chip and a judges hat from the show that never was!!!  At least you will have that hat as a moment of  this strangest of years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thank you to everyone that has made this possible! Guess everyone can still claim "Perfect attendance" at Hershey since the first one you went to now that there isn't a 2020 event. Bob 

Would be sorta cool to have an unofficial tour through Hershey just to say it happened.

Hey that's great.  My dad's funeral is this morning, so now this gives me more time to get myself together so I can still go.  I'll miss the Flea Market, but I LOVE Gettysburg and I love the Wyndham.  Now I might bring a different vehicle.

If we get snow and salt I won't bring a show car, but I'll still drive down for the show....

My only concern as an outsider, if we get rain and/or snow, will there be problems parking the car trailers on the grass??  I'd hate to be way off the road and stuck....

Not a complaint, but just something to think about.....

Southern Penna. almost never gets snow in

early November.  Sure, someone can cite one

day out of 20 years, but snow is not a worry.

Northwestern Penna., however, I know from experience

starts its nearly continuous snow season the 

first or second week of November.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Southern Penna. almost never gets snow in

early November.  Sure, someone can cite one

day out of 20 years, but snow is not a worry.

Northwestern Penna., however, I know from experience

starts its nearly continuous snow season the 

first or second week of November.

You may be correct, but when you have Lake Erie to the west and Lake Ontario to our north, we might have to go through the snow to get there.  I won't destroy a show vehicle hauling it to Gettysburg....  I also won't take a chance of going through ice covered roads between my house and Gettysburg and take the chance at destroying the truck, the trailer and the show car.

For the guys in the south, it won't matter at all....

Of course depending on weather, if you're parking show cars and car trailers on grass, you could have a mess because it is November.  At times Hershey has been bad enough in October....

You guys behind the scene are truly something! I can't say that enough. Anyone (like me) who was the Gettysburg Grand Nationals this year will tell you how safe, spread out and how well done it was done. An amazing show and location to have it. You could sort of say that Gettysburg was a "1st time Covid practice run" and that this show will be tweaked even better! Thank you so much to everyone behind the scenes who amazingly pull these things off so quickly and safely for all of us. You are truly all amazing!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greenie said:

Will registration be limited to those who had already signed up for Hershey? I had a conflict with October 10, but November 7 works. Thanks.

greenie...I would not take anything for granted or any "assumptions" as facts.  I would contact National HQ asap.

Regards,

Peter J.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Letters were sent out to all 835 show car registrants today including a registration card for Gettysburg.  Same for judges...we are asking all judges to follow specific instruction to transfer their registration to Gettysburg.  Judges will get the special Hershey fall meet chip and a judges hat from the show that never was!!!  At least you will have that hat as a moment of  this strangest of years.  

Steve, A few questions for you that might help fill in a few gaps in information about this Special Nationals.

1) You mention in your post about all judges following specific instructions to transfer their registration to Gettysburg.  Maybe I missed it but I did not see any special instructions in the email or the attachments that came with it. Are judges that want to transfer their Hershey judge's registration simply to contact the Chief Judge and request the transfer?  Yes

2)  Will the Special National be like the Grand National when it comes to spectators. ie the event will not be advertised to the public but will be open to non AACA members that abide by all Covid-19 guidelines, etc?  YES

3) Will Judging CJEs be offered after the Judging School on Friday at Gettysburg? I believe so

4) At the Grand National there was mention of a Friday Night BBQ at Hershey. Any plans to do something like that at Gettysburg or maybe a different surprise up your sleeve? Sadly, no.  Sleeves are empty.

A Sincere Thank You to everyone involved at AACA National (Board Members & National Staff) and Hershey Region for stepping up once again to move a Mountain for the Second time this year to make an event happen for AACA members. Your CAN DO attitude and RESOLVE in the face of adversity this year is Greatly Appreciated.

I look forward to attending this event and getting another Dash Plaque for a show that never was. See everyone in November.

Charlie

Edited by charlier
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest Mark McAlpine
4 hours ago, Joe Block said:

There no link for registration for the national or for Judges on the AACA registration page,  Are only previous registered participants invited. 

This all just happened on Friday, Joe.  Give it a couple days. 

I realize that this is a minor point, but....

I talked yesterday to a gentleman from Colorado, not a member of the AACA but has family on east coast so comes to visit and then attends Hershey meet.

He’d heard about flea market being cancelled, planned to come to show, and he’s not on any forum to tell him differently. He was shocked (to the point of not believing me) when I told him show, too, was cancelled.

Wonder if some uninformed people show up!

Pete and others, casting blame will not do us any good.  HE&R has worked with us wonderfully over the years.  They have a multi-million dollar company to protect and despite the green light we had, the rulings from our state government were unsurmountable at this location. We tried everything from asking for a waiver to changing the way we ran the show and we just could not find a way to meet the 250 limit by the state.  Yes, many others are simply disregarding the rulings and doing whatever they want.  We do not own our own property to put this event on so we are at the mercy of the land owner.  Carlisle, is a business that owns their own property and made a settlement that was very favorable to them.  Our event could not get any kind of waiver.

Fortunately, we have found a complex that we can meet the state's requirements and thusly we are back at Gettysburg.  It could have been worse...we look forward to a great event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Steve, Thank You for answering my questions in my previous post in this thread. 

Your answers in bold at the end of each question were a bit of a surprise (because it looks like I answered my own questions although I have been know to talk to myself occasionally) but given your extremely busy schedule and your moderator abilities on the forum that made the most sense to quickly address my questions.

Thanks Again.

Charlie

On 9/26/2020 at 9:25 AM, real61ss said:

Pat,

I am very sorry to hear that your dad passed away. Always looked forward to seeing the fire trucks that you and him bring to the National meets

Thanks Tommy.  I will say that I'm left with a very large void right now, but the support level is there.  Due to COVID, we had to do my dad's funeral outside because the church wouldn't allow us to bring in more than 35 people.

As it turns out more than 200 people showed up at my dad's funeral.  Even without COVID, we wouldn't have been able to fit everyone in the church.  The minister did the funeral in the gazebo at the town park, we had a sound system, we had music, it was a beautiful day, we had the woodie wagon and three of our fire trucks surrounding the gazebo as well as the antique fire truck from our fire department, as well as an antique fire truck from one of the neighboring fire department.  When the minister was done, the county 911 dispatcher tripped the pagers and the fire siren as a last call for my father, the legion stepped in and did the 21 gun salute and that was it.

As in the case of the vehicles we put on the showfield, my dad went out with class.  

Oh and by the way, the '49 LaFrance was flying the big flag there like it did at the meet I chaired in Canandaigua.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Pete and others, casting blame will not do us any good.  HE&R has worked with us wonderfully over the years.  They have a multi-million dollar company to protect and despite the green light we had, the rulings from our state government were unsurmountable at this location. We tried everything from asking for a waiver to changing the way we ran the show and we just could not find a way to meet the 250 limit by the state.  Yes, many others are simply disregarding the rulings and doing whatever they want.  We do not own our own property to put this event on so we are at the mercy of the land owner.  Carlisle, is a business that owns their own property and made a settlement that was very favorable to them.  Our event could not get any kind of waiver.

Fortunately, we have found a complex that we can meet the state's requirements and thusly we are back at Gettysburg.  It could have been worse...we look forward to a great event.

Yes they have.  A late show is better than no show at all.  How anything has happened at all is a miracle.....

The best part about it all????

The Wyndham is a beautiful facility.  I like that place enough to where I've even gone down there when there hasn't even been a car show.

When the show comes back to Hershey, we'll all get to see the new headquarters and it'll be done.  If the meet hadn't been moved, we wouldn't have been able to see the new headquarters this year....

You can look at the glass being half empty, or you can look at the glass being half full.  With all that's happened this year, I'll take a glass half full.  At this point a glass half full is better than no glass at all....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, real61ss said:

Sounds like it was a fitting tribute to your dad. See ya in Gettysburg

Yes it was.  It was hard, it's going to be hard, but my dad went out with class.  In my 36 years with the fire department, I've never seen a funeral done to that level.  For 200 people to show up out of a town of 3,500 people says a lot about the impact we made to the community.

FYI regarding making Hotel Reservations at the Wyndham. When I called them on Saturday afternoon to book a room I was told the hotel was full on the Friday night of the National. Apparently the person I was speaking to was not aware of how to book a room for someone using a block of rooms for an organization like AACA. Finally she asked another person for help and put her on the phone. That woman was working Friday evening when the first reservation for the AACA block came in and had figured out how to book the room. I asked this woman to please pass this knowledge along so other AACA members would have an easier time booking a room.

This might be a moot point by now if the hotel is actually full but I thought I would pass my experience on to others here.

Looking forward to seeing my AACA friends at this event.

Charlie

On 9/25/2020 at 5:29 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

How about a wooden nickel ??  HA HA

• 2 weeks later...

If you have not  visited the Eastern Race Car Museum near Gettysburg, included it  in your plans,  its great!  This past August was my second trip. I had volunteer lead me around and he explain the history of Midget Race cars to me one car at a time. A wonderful 2 hours.

We both wore masks.

Edited by Joe Block (see edit history)