The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Update:

Good day yesterday. The battery box is finished, painted, and installed. Looks great......you can’t tell it’s been changed out. New custom made battery cables arrived from a Brillman...........they are perfect, and were made and shipped out in one day, and arrived here two days later..........can’t recommend these people enough. The new exhaust is in, from the manifold to the muffler. What a nightmare to get apart and installed........well, at least it’s done. Overhauled the cut out.........made a new shaft, sourced a new spring, and sorted the linkage......it’s done, it doesn’t leak, and the cut out sounds fantastic. Ordered a new battery.....the car is 12 volts.......and the original battery was a 75 amp unit. We found a battery much bigger.....that fits the box perfectly, with 1100 CCA, and it tips the scale at 72 pounds. Overkill.......and I like it. New cables fit like factory, and with new heavier cables and a remanufactured starter solenoid, the car spins over like the wheel of fortune at Caesars Palace. Oil change is done, and all the leaks from the pan, drain plug, filter cover, and float cover are dry. Windshield glass is in progress, as is the top, middle, and lower rubber trim to seal it all up. Next item is to power up the entire electrical system.....we haven’t done it yet.......shouldn’t be too big of an issue.....(famous last words.....). Working on the windshield wipers, and another two hundred other small details. As soon as the title arrives, I will have plates............and the car is ready for it’s first 100 mile run. It will either be this weekend or next......depending on the RMV. Time will tell. It’s almost time to.......as we say and live by our shop motto........”Drive it like you stole it!”👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Update:

Well, it’s almost two months into this car and the phone call. We are getting very close to finishing the recommissioning of the car. Very close. The light at the end of the tunnel is approaching. My trusty assistant Phil with the “hands like George the Animal Steel” is also getting excited. By the weekend, if the title comes through from the State of Florida as promised, we will have a properly sorted garage car. We have fixed EVERYTHING we can think of. Serviced almost everything we can see. Interestingly, today we learned more about the car.....after hundreds of hours, it’s still surprising us. Our hope is to drive it a few hundred miles over the next month.........with this thread, two Concours organizations have contacted me.........and would like to be the first to put it on the grass. Very flattering, but currently we will probably hold off till Hershey Fall Meet next year before we display it. I think about fifty members here want to come see it and drive it.........I’ll post here in the open when it’s finally ready to “ be ridden hard and put away wet.” The other car has now been extracted from it’s hiding place for the past twenty five years, and we are working on transportation down south..........Not sure on the plans yet. We may fly up and load it ourselves. With all the help Phil has given me on the White, I have committed to finding him his dream car, getting it down here, and getting it to the condition he wants.......it will be a new adventure for me. I have never worked on a 1964 Chevy ragtop. Also need to finish bankrupting AJ’s retirement fund on sorting the Stearns. Things are picking up down here, getting ready for the new or next show season.......we are only four months away to being back to the modified normal of the show circuit. The heat in Florida has finally broken.........it’s been a very, very, very hot and humid year......add in the lock down, and it’s been difficult just to keep going day to day. Lots of people still suffering economic and psychological issues due to the COVID. I was looking forward to alligator hunting this year.......that got canceled. Our walk through the Scottish Highlands went down the toilet......so much for two years of anticipation and preparation. Ultimately the White has filled a void that was bigger than I realized. Now I can get back to a semi normal routine........and wait for the next text, call, or email for another “sleeper” that need a few things to get back on the road. Also looking forward to getting back in the road visiting car friends........we do it so much that it’s easy to forget how fortunate we are to have “car people” in almost every state we can visit with. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ozstatman said:

Ed,

A photo of the “hands like George the Animal Steel”,  please?😁

Phil is kind of shy.......I will try and sneak a shot when he’s driving down the road.👍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The other car has now been extracted from it’s hiding place for the past twenty five years, and we are working on transportation down south..........Not sure on the plans yet. We may fly up and load it ourselves. 

Ed, I think you could have a very successful YouTube Channel just doing things like the White and this next car you are getting ready to reveal.  You are a good story teller and the interest is off the charts.......

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

....Phil is on the right.

Criminy! I wish I could see his and my dad's hands side by side.  My dad (gone about fifteen years now) was six foot four (he liked to say five foot sixteen),and had the biggest hands I ever saw! He liked to play the piano, but had trouble because his fingers were as wide as the keys!

15 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

He liked to play the piano, but had trouble because his fingers were as wide as the keys!

I have the same problem texting with the smart phone.   I could dictate, but it hears a different english than I speak.

• Haha 1

Update:

Well....some GOOD NEWS! The gas tank looked terrible after we cleaned it ourselves, and dried it out. I was certain it would need to be made from scratch. Turned out it was just the crud of twenty gallons of gas reduced to toxic sludge. The flushed it in a hot tank.......it's PERFECT. Not a bad spot, no rust.......amazing. Looks like they had a layer of lead on the outside and inside. No sealer required. The tank is literally as good as new. It's installing tonight. We are just getting down to a few adjustments, and still need to sorte the electrical system. We are ALMOST done! More to come later. Best, Ed

IMG_0681.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0683.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I have the same problem texting with the smart phone.   I could dictate, but it hears a different english than I speak.

You don't want to get me started on modern technology! A "techno-phobe"? I am NOT! However, after working with it with real engineers for a good number of years, I got sick of the bad designs and marketing that took over the industry.

Ed, That gasoline tank looks beautiful! Funny how some of us crazies think of beauty? I was really hoping it would turn out better than your expectations. Although having worked with a few very old gasoline tanks over the years, I know that one should not count on them being really nice inside!

Update:

Interesting observation, Having bought, sold, and traded countless, and I do mean countless vehicles over the years.........I have never purchased a car that while so old, and neglected, except good storage, and have it come together so quickly. Normally this would have been a six to eight month project to get going down the road with my lifestyle and commitments. So, COVID may have one positive redeeming value........garage time. The light is no longer at the end of the tunnel. We are out of the tunnel. Gas tank is in, electric boost fuel pump is installed but NOT wired as the car will run on the vacuum tank......and while I always condemn a pump and vacuum tank........I feel with my skill set it is ok. Also, the frame was drilled and the factory fuel lines were cut in 1952 for a Bendix pump that was never installed. So, since the car was modified 70 years ago......I went with the flow and continued with the process. I will only have a removable wiring  system for the pump, in the tool box on in the splash apron, so I can prime the tank only when stationary. Thus eliminating the insane fire hazard a pump in a Stewart Warner system always can and will cause. We are two fuel lines, and an ignition system timing reset away from being totally road ready......plus a title and registration. It’s been a shxt load of work, and would have been impossible to accomplish without my trusty assistant Phil. We covered more areas, faster, and without interruption, than one can imagine. We hit a few stone walls......but since no hack tractor mechanics ever laid their hands on the car.......things have gone fantastically well. Fifty years of spending too much time in the garage have also proven helpful.......and Phil has 60 years too much time in also. The best lesson from this car.........buy a good car.......IE..... ever messed with, and the process is just a function of time to get it right. Windshield glass in both upper and lower should be done in the next few days. It’s funny to go from 10,000 things to do to roadworthy and “garage sorted” so fast. Never experienced anything even remotely close to this adventure. Less than 60 days ago, I had never heard of a monoblock T head with dual valves. Next week, I’ll be driving one on the road getting familiar with it’s performance and particular quirks. Zero to 100 in five seconds flat.  More to come......

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

What?

An extensive explanation will accompany the above post later tonight. And, for the record, a pre war car is NEVER, EVER DONE!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Joe is correct. All known needed repairs are done. It still needs sorting. The entire fuel system is back in the car. Windshield upper and lower are done. The car is ready for a road test of fifty miles. Still have the title issue, which went to shit today. They think they are going to give me an assigned VIN, and place it on the car. They are NOT correct. The DMV guy has been decent, so I won’t give him a hard time. It’s their choice to give me the correct title I have a right to, of I will take them to court. I have the time, and the court is only a mile from my home. I’ll make it as painful as possible........I have three names in the department to list personally as well as the state. If I have to fight, I will go all the way........I don’t mind being reasonable.........but this BS they are trying to pull off will not happen. If I burn ten grand doing it.....so be it. Sometimes you have to fight for what is right. They already admitted they were wrong. Such is the way of government entities. Like old cars? I don’t need to tell you which party to vote for. Anyways, it feels great that the car is finished. I’m sure we have another fifty hours of messing around with it. I need to make a new gas guage as it’s mechanical and half missing. I think I have looked enough on line that I can duplicate what was there back in the day. I expect the big drive is still more than a week away. Lots of other things starting to happen.........next years car season isn’t too far away. Looks like the first event will be January for me here in town. Then, the show at Mar-A-Lago is next. Also only a mile or so away..........so the first three shows of the year will all be “in the neighborhood.” I’m going to take a brake from updating every day...........when we get the drive done I will post a video. I will also do a walk around explaining the car and it’s features. It’s been a long and stressful day.......some protesters made a mistake and stepped in front of my truck. They quickly decided that we were more determined to preserving our rights that they were prepared to try and take them away. Wasn’t pretty. Wishing everyone a good evening and great Friday. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The events here are scheduled, and the restaurants and bars are open........the night clubs are not. Just bars associated with restaurants. The world can’t come to an end. And people are tired of both sides tossing around the BS. I expect the public tickets for the events will be pre purchase only......to control the crowds. No walk up sales. Amelia is on.......although they are making adjustments............I expect the venue will operate at 50 percent of normal. We shall see. I for one, decide to live life........take reasonable precautions, and continue on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Car is finished, and then it’s not. Had fuel system leaks.......we went from the temporary system to the permanent.......and had a ton of issues with the insane one off fuel fittings. Installed a battery cut off switch, and you can operate it without any problems from the passenger side running board. Windshield went back together......worked out well. Started working on the auxiliary tail lights and head lights......they will be quick connect 12v LED’s and Halogens. We ran the car for the first time with the repaired exhaust.......so we could finally hear it with and without the cutout working. Sounds like your average T head speedster........that special rumble only a T head makes. It really starts to sing with the cut out open, It’s unreasonably loud, and a bunch of fun. With the exhaust system properly sealed, it’s obvious we need to check the valve lash. With the unusual  White manufactured barrel valve updraft carburetor it has your typical amount of cranking before it draws fuel and fires off. We will probably start changing up a few things while we wait for the paperwork. I’m going to pull the magneto tomorrow, and reset the timing......we will also put the top down for the first time in twenty years......more fun. The one man top according to the owners manual looks like Godzilla would have a hard time handling  it. More tomorrow........have a good weekend.

• Like 5

Ed,

It looks like your on to the "roadside restoration" stage.  Have you been able to find very much White  company information on the car?  What I would really like is something along the lines of discussions between the bean counters and the engineers.  How did they ever come up with where this car fit in the universe of car niches.  How did they make decisions on what design features to use?

I don't know that this will be of any help...probably not but it never hurts to have more information. I'm sure I have two of these little booklets but I'll be damned if I can find the extra one. I know it will show up sooner or later...nevertheless, here is the section on timing.

p47.thumb.jpg.5f5ed2e61ebaa3b7e743e69933bd7a54.jpg

p48.thumb.jpg.61414574a91c1327670cb0097c755450.jpg

p49.thumb.jpg.503e90811cf796dc9522fccc6cf53838.jpg

p50.thumb.jpg.b85d9df84908f095efa55fab8b3f4aa1.jpg

p51.thumb.jpg.5227a2d0344577c1ef36bc74a4151dcc.jpg

p52.thumb.jpg.28658c2aa76270bc59395cbc75b53d03.jpg

p53.thumb.jpg.9b5ad4284da32a95006a69b9a8c3f9b3.jpg

p54.thumb.jpg.563f9d390ebd13fcc6b5f8afa33a7405.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

Ed,

It looks like your on to the "roadside restoration" stage.  Have you been able to find very much White  company information on the car?  What I would really like is something along the lines of discussions between the bean counters and the engineers.  How did they ever come up with where this car fit in the universe of car niches.  How did they make decisions on what design features to use?

We are definitely at the drive and tune portion of the sorting. I just need to be legal down the road to do it. I won’t chance a ticket and tow here in Florida. Up in Massachusetts I could easily get away with sticking a plate on it in the countryside........here there is just way too much exposure. 

Now a few comments of White engineering, design, and quality. The frame on this car is heavier (read thicker) than ANY car I have ever worked on. Makes a Model J frame look like tin foil........and that’s no exaggeration. It’s absolutely absurd the frame on the car is built like it is. It’s really unreasonable. Looking at the suspension with the 19/20 leaf springs in the front / rear.......which are ground and tapered.........and you start to get an idea of how the car is built. Every single component is made to be serviced.......on the side of the road. It was made to be indestructible........and they achieved their goal. It’s like working on a Springfield Ghost but with even better engineering..........it’s over built, but NOT over complicated like the Rolls. Everything on the car has grease fittings.....everything. It’s asinine at the number of fittings. Also oil channels and spot lubrication points......the thing was made to never wear out if you took care of it. We are now running 10-30 oil in it, cold at idle it shows 18 pounds pressure, and the gauge goes to 30. When warm, at idle it has 11 pounds pressure. Around the parking lot at low rpm’s it’s showing 22 before the oil regulator starts to bleed off the excess pressure.....the motor is still basically like new. Another interesting item is the starting system. With 12 volts, the thing spins over like nothing I have seen pre WW1. It’s that good. My 14 Caddy had the neat and complicated self starter and generator with the sprague that motored before you engaged it......the White system is simple, indescribable, powerful, and works fantastic......an unusual feature in its time period. It uses the two wire system for the starter , so both legs from the battery go directly to it(the starter) it’s unusual and I have never seen it before. The generator is also the two wire system.........they weren’t taking any chances on this car with poor grounds. Makes for interesting connections with a mechanical starter solenoid. Every system on the car is well thought out, no shortcuts were taken, and most of the controls remind me of a cross between Pierce Arrow and Rolls Royce. This car simply steers better than ANY car I have ever driven pre 1932......it’s that good. Attention to detail is over the top, with leather gaiters around all the steering and suspension joints and linkages. The gaiters have buckles and are then hand tied on.........by some skilled leather craftsman using a funky lace style. They look beautiful.......and have all survived in like new condition except the two on the driveshaft that’s Trimacar had said he would help me with. I counted twenty two of them yesterday, and I’m sure I missed another half dozen. The rear has stabilator shock absorbers on each side, both functional and in good condition. It really bothered me to have to remove the front factory exhaust pipe..........there was no choice in the matter. The flange at the manifold rusted away.....the pipe was still fine. I could have done a small splice but the area under hood was so tight I decided to replace about 70 percent of the first pipe to make it easier to service. The cooling system is water tight.....running water with cutting oil in it for now.........corrosion protection and lubrication for the pump. I ordered a new thermometer for the original Boyce moto meter. The meter looks great, but it wasn’t functioning. Usually I am a “less is more” guy when it comes to automotive accessories on a car......but in this case I might add an interesting mascot to the car. Only if I can find the “perfect” one to match the cars personality. When I bought this machine through the interesting process of a text message, phone call, texted photos, and using a friend as a go between.........I knew it was a good car. When I finally inspected it in person, I knew it was a great car. Now that I have serviced it, and driven it a bit......I have come to realize it’s a fantastic car. This car will hold up to ANY car built from 1915-1918........ANY CAR and I have driven and serviced most of the great stuff at one time or another. It's really is that great. Makes me smile every time I open the door to the shop. It’s fascinating how the engineers and designers decided to build it, and the choices they made. Magneto ignition, 12 volt two wire system, dual valve mono block T head, four speed with overdrive, built in air compressor.....not a bolt on accessory, their own barrel valve carburator, obviously the engineering team had many of their own ideas on what their version of the perfect car was.......and there is NO doubt they were trying to build the perfect car. Did they succeed? Well, all I can confirm so far is they did an exceptionally good job. I can communicate this.......I never in my life thought I would own a pre WW1 car of this quality regardless of manufacturer. Add in the aluminum custom body, the auto show photos that are almost certainly this car, the great lines of the car for its era, it’s overall size.....139 inch chassis, it truly is an American automotive masterpiece..........a joy to own, drive, and service. I feel very fortunate to have been able to awaken the car after an 80 year slumber. I will properly service and maintain it for the next caretaker.........and for the record, this is an estate car. I won’t go anywhere until my executor handles it. I will keep this car as long as I live. Of the hundreds of toys I have been fortunate to own, this is only the second machine that I have ever acquired that is will NOT sell. Thanks to all who have expressed an interest in the car, the process, and the adventure during this crazy pandemic summer. It’s been a fantastic journey with it so far, and sharing the car with all the people here has made it even better. As always, more to come. Best, Ed.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Ed, one of the best phone calls I ever made. 

The fellow who owned it was dispersing his collection, and he was down to two vehicles.  I was able to place both of them in good hands, and though I'd have had the White had I been a younger man, I could never have done it the justice it deserves as Ed has done (yes, I know, my high school English teacher is jumping up and down about that sentence).

• Like 10

Guess I am surprised you don't have a dealer plate. Last I checked you just needed a sign.

"Section 320.13, Florida Statutes allows dealers to purchase metal dealer license plates which are valid for use on vehicles owned by the dealer while the vehicles are in inventory and for sale, or while being operated in connection with your dealership's business"

44 minutes ago, padgett said:

Guess I am surprised you don't have a dealer plate. Last I checked you just needed a sign.

"Section 320.13, Florida Statutes allows dealers to purchase metal dealer license plates which are valid for use on vehicles owned by the dealer while the vehicles are in inventory and for sale, or while being operated in connection with your dealership's business"

Ever put a dealer plate on a seven figure vehicle? Trust me, you get stopped instantly. The man wants his sales tax......in a BIG bad way. Back in 1986 in Massachusetts I was driving a then 300k car, and the RMV had a road block at a round about.......they tried to stop me for no sticker........I blew past them, and first thing the next day, they were at my business fuming I didn’t stop. I had a dealer plate from our motorcycle shop on the car. They were yelling I couldn’t  use a plate on a car......since I was a motorcycle shop. I asked them to show me where it said that in the MGL regulations......and they couldn’t . Fortunately it was really a customer car, taxes paid and titled, just not registered. They then came after me personally........and I had three cars in Mass with regular registrations........so they struck out. We did drive all the good stuff on dealer plates, and kept three winter beaters on regular registrations. They weren’t happy, but we beat them. Today there are creative ways to get around the man......which I will not discuss. In the short term, I will register it like a modern car. Once it’s sorted and 100 percent dependable........I will do something else. 

• Haha 1