The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

On 10/11/2020 at 8:16 PM, wayne sheldon said:

You are a Roman numeral II ? My condolences. So am I. I have often said that that was the cruelest joke my dad ever played on me. I don't know how it is or was where you grew up, but in Califunny, nobody could figure out what to do with that II. The "named after dad" was often called "junior", but my dad hated that one. And sometimes the Arabic number "2" was used (I actually use that sometimes, also why I sometimes sign off of posts with a "W2"). The third in line usually gets a Roman numeral III, that is common enough that schools and government offices can usually handle it. But a Roman numeral II? I have had so many official documents where somehow I became the third. I have trouble with the DMV and insurance companies so often, I have lost count. One modern car I had took four years to get the registration right! Almost every time they thought they fixed it? They actually made it worse. Their mistake, and it cost me nearly two hundred dollars in penalties because every year I was late because I had to take time off work to go in and fight with them. I spent hours in their offices. Oh, they let me off on SOME of the fees and penalties, but not all of them, even though their own computer showed clearly it was their mistake! Four years after I bought it, it suffered a mechanical failure that made it not worth fixing (to me). One month before I sold it to a fellow that needed cheap transportation, they finally got the title fixed. 

My school records are screwed up. A few years ago I wondered why I had jury duty a bit too often. So, when I went in, I went to the registrar's office. Tuned out they had sourced names from DMV and tax and other records. I was in there twice. 

Ah, life.

If you think the DMV is bad, try playing with the SS department! Somewhere in the mid-late ‘70’s, a “helpful” employee there decided to add a second L to my last name. My family spells it Elsworth with only 1 L (we didn’t get our Ls worth!). So now here I am at retirement age and find I have no SS account!! After months of trying to get it straightened out, they’ve decided it’s best for me to legally change my name and add the second L. That’s the best they can do.

My granddad is turning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought you only used one "L" because your so cheap that you were trying to save on ink..........Just thinking out loud...........🤪

• Haha 1

I know how your dad feels. I spent six months at Walter Reed, the old one with plaster falling down. The surgeon that messed me up said the only reason he was in the army was he couldn’t make it as a doc in civilian life. I was at least a walking wounded with all my limbs. Those of us that could had to help the guys in chairs go from building to building as many did not have ramps. Seven operations later I still feel the effects but compared to what I saw and guys I helped get around I am one of the luckiest guys  around even today with braces on both legs. Only part I regret is I never won a bet on which piece of plaster was going to fall from the ceiling next and either hit a doc, nurse or one of us. Gave away a lot of jello and ice cream because of that. 

• Like 2

Issues just are, we tend to ignore most. OTOH get free hearing aids (on line no one knows you are deef) and monthly payments from the VA. And on the gripping hand my life is very peaceful, helps when programming for days straight ("They said it couldn't be done" is just an opportunity for me)

Have run out of habds but am really disappointed in the programming of web sites these days. Have one "benefits" site I cannot log into. Enter my email and says it cannot be found. Try to change but am told I already have an account and cannot change without logging in (catch 22). Been going on since the 5th. "Can I talk to anyone in charge - No, can they e-mail me when fixed - No, can I talk to anyone who can actually do anything. No.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, edinmass said:

I always thought you only used one "L" because your so cheap that you were trying to save on ink..........Just thinking out loud...........🤪

Awww, that’s just mean. Now you’ve gone and hurt my feelings. Gonna have Barbara plant poison ivy all around your house!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, yachtflame said:

Awww, that’s just mean. Now you’ve gone and hurt my feelings. Gonna have Barbara plant poison ivy all around your house!

No need.....we have plenty already! I was going to change the name from Lost Pond Farm, to Poison Ivey Farm. I’m NEVER mean......just honest........😝

To be fair, I was just having fun..........besides, I want to make you think I’m cheap so Marc can replace the parts that he borrowed, and save him some money. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, padgett said:

Not cheap just Scots.

Scots are generous and friendly, not cheap just thrifty.  If it had not been for the Scots we (Canadians) would never have finished the CPR.

UPDATE:

Well, we can now call the White a car. It's in the "drivers" section of the garage. You turn on the gas, you turn on the power, and jump in and go. We are driving it without a plate.......or any tools. It's sorted well enough that we just get in it and go. We need to adjust the clutch....some tractor mechanic adjusted it last. I brought it home and gave the dogs a ride........they loved it. My wife come outside to look at it for the fist time..........she has only seen photos before.......and her comment was....."it's old" ...........where upon I said, yes.....and so are you.........where upon she said, get your own dinner tonight. Suits me fine.......peace and quiet! After the clutch adjustment we are at a standstill with the car until we get plates. Interestingly, we have a world class historian and author on automobiles coming by for lunch tomorrow. I have enough faith in it right now to tour with it......not too bad considering only 8 weeks ago it had not run in 80 years. I expect we only have 80 more hours and we are done with everything. Saturday, I will do an extensive video on the car, as long as the weather holds out...........figure a 20 minute one...........to show the entire car. Best, Ed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yes......a cross between a Farm-All and a Cub-Kadet...............just need a few more adjustable wrenches and several more sets of slip joint pliers. Now I can stop bathing and brushing my teeth also........just call me “Tractor mechanic Ed!”

PS- someone send me some JB weld to fix a broken exhaust manifold, or some Evans Coolant to fix an overheating problem. I love cheap ass short cuts that only a imbxxle  would try.......

• Haha 2

Just now, padgett said:

"without a plate." - thought you had to have a show on Motor Trend to do that.

To quote Sammy Hagar........”I cant drive 55! Plate? We don’t need no stinking plate!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

My wife come outside to look at it for the fist time..........she has only seen photos before.......and her comment was....."it's old" ...........where upon I said, yes.....and so are you.........where upon she said, get your own dinner tonight. Suits me fine.......peace and quiet!

So, my wife unit made a good point... You got a great “dream job”, moved her from her home, friends and comforts and moved to hot & steamy Florida. If all she’s asking for is a new car, “What’s the problem?”

Maybe find her a sailboat too!!

32 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

So, my wife unit made a good point... You got a great “dream job”, moved her from her home, friends and comforts and moved to hot & steamy Florida. If all she’s asking for is a new car, “What’s the problem?”

Maybe find her a sailboat too!!

You are such a gentleman offering to buy Peg a car and a boat. She likes small cars......a Kia is fine. Something in a 65 foot sailboat will do just fine. Thanks!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

You are such a gentleman offering to buy Peg a car and a boat. She likes small cars......a Kia is fine. Something in a 65 foot sailboat will do just fine. Thanks!

Maybe Yachtflame would spring for a 1929 Chris-Craft. Easier to transport and nice for commuting up and down the coast.

https://sierraboat.com/product/runabouts/20-and-over-runabouts/1929-chris-craft-custom-commuter-38/

a) one tube of JB Weld won't get you anywhere.

b) for a quarter mil it better come with a garage.

c) think Kia/Hyndai (same company) make some good cars with a great warranty. Any more I prefer American cars but unlikely to buy a new one. My plate is full.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Now you tell me.  I knew I was making things more difficult and expensive than they needed to be.  Is one tube enough? 

IMG_3300.JPG

Get three tubes......that way you can fix anything else that is expensive taking a short cut. Anytime the words JB Weld and a car come up, I always recommend running away from the car. Nothing like a bit of epoxy to hack a car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yachtflame said:

I already have one of those. This is my 1930 28’ Garwood.

Replacing the bottom and sides.

77808F91-79E1-44EF-8B4E-21E0E17BA712.jpeg

I thought boats were supposed to float......that looks like a "sink". When can I go for a ride?

BTW it takes two tubes to do anything with JB. I keep some around in case something plastic breaks while I find a NOS part or print one. Did repair the radiator in son's '90 Grand Am. Never saw it leak again. Was totaled once but kept and replaced the rear bumper. Did not surrender title so was never tainted, just not worth anything. Also learned why quad-4/Northstar/ShortStar always leaked in the last century (Fixed around 2004). Have nine TSBs on torquing the head bolts.

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

A Garwood is the Duesenberg of antique boats. A walk thru triple would be the ultimate!  When your done put it behind an antique car just so we can say it’s auto related and show us pics!!  Please. 

This one is a true triple, not a walk through. Has original power, a Chrysler 8 Imperial but have re-powered with a 454. 
 Am working on replacing frames, chines and keel before doing the covering. I have a 1931 LaSalle ccp to tow it with once done. 
 Then start on the 1931 Dart 22.5 triple. 
 A boy needs a project. And yes Ed, you and Peg will be riding in it up at Lake George once done...That is if we can ever get you out of Florida!

And of course, I’ll need a ride in the White

Edited by yachtflame
Lost the last line. (see edit history)

Any Garwood triple Walk thru or not would be a treat to own and ride in. 
i replaces 178 board feet on a CC 42 foot Constellation one summer. I don’t envy the work ahead of you but really worth the effort. The Dart would also be a work of art on the water. Have fun,  post pics. 

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Think you can now HIDE a mispost - maybe why no post numbers.

Yeah, bad WiFi at my house. Tried hitting the submit button but nothing happened..at least on my phone. Once I looked I found that it posted 4 times. Can’t figure out how to delete the other three. But they show as much as Ed’s video!

😆

Ok, shot seven minutes of video, going over the car, it’s condition, and driving down the road. AJ is on a plane till 5 pm tonight. I will have him post it for me here. 👍

• Like 1

Don’t we all have a hobby that cost as much as a mistress?  Is  fun (of a different kind of course) to do, can be a problem at times, and our wife’s usually don’t understand why!  I’ve been married 50 years and still love both my wife and this mistress called old cars!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

What are we going to do in our spare time IF this ever ends. When I wake up in the am I grab my phone and check for updates. My wife thinks I have a mistress. 

Bob....no worries.......my other new car is in safe storage until we start the next thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, padgett said:

"hobby that cost as much as a mistress" nowhere near unless she shops at the mart at the wall.

You’re buying the wrong cars! A good car costs as much as a third wife, a girlfriend, and a mistress all at the same time...........not conjecture.........that’s experience! At least a good car is lower maintenance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3