The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Update:

In the effort to have some fun, and additional distractions from the COVID pandemic..........and since I give Matt Harwood such a hard time about Cleveland...........I will allow Matt to guess at the new unidentified car purchase. Please don’t send him suggestions as he guesses............and Matt......it’s fine if you use any reference material you can find........the new car is that obscure. Also, an additional hint. There was a photo posted of an identical car here on this website in the last 60 days. And to be even more antagonistic.......there is only one other surviving car from the manufacturer that we can determine........and in the last few weeks, I dropped a very big hint in another thread reacting to some of Matt’s comments. Let the fun begin!

Matt......take your best shot! 👍

• Haha 1

But Ed, you can tell her it is a decent car and that means half the work to get it "fixed" and time spent working on ,  Plus she could even drive it when you get it running and able to be used-  just be careful she may run over your foot as a compliment because you were a wise ass and I just know you would tell her "no that is the guy I bought it from , he is a bad influence on me".

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As an additional incentive for Matt..........I’m going to let him drive it all around Hershey next year.........as I plan on taking both my new cars to the fall meet. I’m even going to pay for the gas.......makes me a nice guy, right? 🤔

• Haha 1

Hmmm... Built in Cleveland (doesn't narrow it down much), so rare that only two currently exist (that helps a little), and mentioned here recently...

My first guess was a Templar, but there are nine or ten of those. 

Then Owen, but I think there are more than two of those. The only one I know is in the Crawford, but I thought another one surfaced recently.

There's only one known Carroll Six, which I think is at the Sweigart Museum (I think I saw it there two years ago, anyway). That was a big, powerful early '20s car with a 6-cylinder engine...

Are there any HAL cars left, the cars Harry Lozier built after leaving Lozier?

Oh, wait, I saw talk here of an Elmore, which I think was Cleveland-based. Were they still in business when your White was built?

That exhausts my Cleveland obscure manufacturer knowledge, at least companies that built the kinds of big, powerful cars that would interest Ed and aren't Peerless or Winton or Stearns or Jordan. The Carroll sounds most likely to me.

Am I close? I don't want to keep anyone else out of the game here.

LOL.........with you, not at you. It’s ridiculously obscure, new to me in the last three months. It’s a bit more of a sporty car than I usually buy..........wire wheels, rather sporty bodywork..........built new somewhere between 1932-1934 or so, depending upon who you ask. Very unusual power plant........not a HAL, but it’s a safe bet you haven’t driven anything like it ever. How sporty? No windshield, no doors, and no top! I think it’s fair to call it a semi boat tail speedster...........and that term is from the gentleman who sold it to me.........and he’s a good friend of yours. Yup, you missed the car......he never mentioned it to anyone for the 25 years he had owned it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Definitely production........somewhere between 20 and 100. Not much is known about them. I can confirm the design was sent into the patent office. I have a copy of the drawings. The other known one is restored to 100 points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so it's later than I thought. Peerless, Stearns, and Winton were all gone by '32. I'm back to thinking Jordan--even though there are plenty of garden-variety Jordans around, there's only one Speedway Ace. Could this be another? There were rumors of two of them here in Cleveland but the second has never been found. It would fit the time period and the fact that the other one is restored to a high level.

Jordan is a negative as to the guess..............now......”Somewhere west of Laramie”...........

Unfortunately so much knowledge has been lost to history, and the dumming down of our school age children to the “new way of teaching”.........

6832D3BB-82DB-4C42-9D6A-D9AF04849284.png

4 hours ago, Eldovert said:

Perhaps she was indicating that you are number one!

Only problem with that is my sir name ends with “II”, as I’m the 2end. In high school they called me “Ed the Duce.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are a Roman numeral II ? My condolences. So am I. I have often said that that was the cruelest joke my dad ever played on me. I don't know how it is or was where you grew up, but in Califunny, nobody could figure out what to do with that II. The "named after dad" was often called "junior", but my dad hated that one. And sometimes the Arabic number "2" was used (I actually use that sometimes, also why I sometimes sign off of posts with a "W2"). The third in line usually gets a Roman numeral III, that is common enough that schools and government offices can usually handle it. But a Roman numeral II? I have had so many official documents where somehow I became the third. I have trouble with the DMV and insurance companies so often, I have lost count. One modern car I had took four years to get the registration right! Almost every time they thought they fixed it? They actually made it worse. Their mistake, and it cost me nearly two hundred dollars in penalties because every year I was late because I had to take time off work to go in and fight with them. I spent hours in their offices. Oh, they let me off on SOME of the fees and penalties, but not all of them, even though their own computer showed clearly it was their mistake! Four years after I bought it, it suffered a mechanical failure that made it not worth fixing (to me). One month before I sold it to a fellow that needed cheap transportation, they finally got the title fixed. 

My school records are screwed up. A few years ago I wondered why I had jury duty a bit too often. So, when I went in, I went to the registrar's office. Tuned out they had sourced names from DMV and tax and other records. I was in there twice. 

Ah, life.

The guy who lived across the hall from me in college was William Wangerin III, and he had a briefcase that said W.W.III so we obviously called him "World War Three" or sometimes just "Three." He wanted to be an investment banker, so I figure he earned whatever misfortune would come his way.

I'm out of guesses, Ed, and I lay awake last night trying to think of an obscure speedster that I've seen around here and came up empty. Clues or a reveal, I'm going nuts.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

This whole time, I have asked and warned that this car is unconventional, obscure, strange, and out of the norm........don't let it get to you, and PLEASE don't let it keep you up at night. IT IS NOT WORTH STAYING UP AT NIGHT! I'll toss in some more clues. It uses an outsourced engine.....like many vehicles, it's an assembled car. Things like wheels, engine, and other components were provided by outside suppliers. From the photos most of the chassis appears to be made in house.......except for the rear end. My car has a red chassis, and a green metal flake paint job on it. It certainly looks like all factory or as delivered paint, I haven't inspected it in person yet to confirm this 100 percent. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

The guy who lived across the hall from me in college was William Wangerin III, and he had a briefcase that said W.W.III so we obviously called him "World War Three" or sometimes just "Three." He wanted to be an investment banker, so I figure he earned whatever misfortune would come his way.

I'm out of guesses, Ed, and I lay awake last night trying to think of an obscure speedster that I've seen around here and came up empty. Clues or a reveal, I'm going nuts.

Matt,  I think your college buddy passed away last year, if you were at Miami of Ohio.

As far as Ed's mystery car,  my hint is that it is totally appropriate for him, although I always wanted one.  I hope that doesn't give it away.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Matt,  I think your college buddy passed away last year, if you were at Miami of Ohio.

Oh no. That would be him. Did you know him? That's bad news. He was only a year older than I am. Now I feel like a jerk for making fun of him for being an investment banker (which is all he wanted to do--all he talked about was how much he wanted to work at Goldman-Sachs. Looks like he made it there). 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

BIG UPDATE:

Figured out our ignition issue.

62 MPH in third......

Still have the overdrive to try. There was still more in third or “direct.”

Now, we need to immediately deal with adjusting the brakes..........it’s too fast to be safe till we fix them. RMV called, should have plates by end of week....more BS delays.

Finally fifty feet forward........ten feet back. More later. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I get special requests to help people out with their “new” old cars. I usually decline, as I don’t find anything post 1942 interesting.......and thus,  servicing something newer is a big chore for me. A while back, my local car buddy calls and says.....I need you to fix a Mustang. I said no. He says the owner is a nice guy. I said no. He said the owner bought the 1968 new. I said no, He said he’s desperate as it is in a local shop, they drove it in and now it no longer runs. I said no. Then he said........the guys name is xxxxxxxxxx. I said there is a famous guy with that name.........he said yup......it’s his car. He took me out to lunch to blow smoke up my axx. It worked......so, I fixed it. With help from my trusty assistant Phil. I was right.......fixing it wasn’t much of a challenge. I did enjoy bringing it by the shop that told him it had a bad engine. They couldn’t believe it was not a bad head.........anyways, It’s been my every day driver for a week. Got pulled over today driving it, the cops wanted to know why I was driving Mr. “x” car. It was fun having the locals who recognize the car wave as I drive by.

3539E953-381F-4FDB-9960-8406C1F290E3.jpeg

• Haha 1

🤔

No, it’s not a Shriners “Minnie Car”.............. All the information I gave to you was true and accurate. The car was built in the 1932-1934 era. It’s has Kelsey Hayes wire wheels, ect, ect, ect,...........it’s Cleveland built. It’s an open speedster, with a rear mounted spare. 

You gotta like the “Minnie Car” thing! 😜

Any more questions? 🤔

Bye the way.....any car I own is a “Minnie Car”!

• Haha 1

Just to share with the members......a few weeks ago, Matt posted this photo on this thread and said, “this is Ed in his new car”.............so, this is just a bit of good sportsmanship giving it back to Matt. My original response was the guy in the car was skinnier than I am. 😎

93F70F89-5D4A-40F3-BC97-A9167DDDD6F8.png

• Haha 1

Oh you must be a lot younger , better looking too and I’m sure you wouldn’t ever be caught in a hat like that but you would definitely support the charity they represent! 

Edit

I also have been known to travel with a generous supply of bourbon as I lived on the bourbon trail for 17 years. Just saying in case that is of interest 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The bourbon trail......last time I was there, I was over served at Woodford, and had to leave my Pierce 12 in the parking lot overnight. Pulling a thief from a 55 year old cask at 121 proof with the angels share........great whiskey! The distiller was a great guy.........I sold a lot of his products over the years at our family business.

• Like 2

I lived 6 miles from Wofford Reserve. 10 miles from Buffalo Trace and a few more from three others. Should have called I would have been happy to put your Pierce in my garage while you sniffed the angels share.  I might have even given you my address. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Oh you must be a lot younger , better looking too and I’m sure you wouldn’t ever be caught in a hat like that but you would definitely support the charity they represent! 

Edit

I also have been known to travel with a generous supply of bourbon as I lived on the bourbon trail for 17 years. Just saying in case that is of interest 

Back in 1922, my father was one of the first Shriners patients ever.......in their Springfield Ma hospital. He spent seven years there. They saved his life.........but the work at the time was experimental and left lifelong issues. Fifty years later when I was in an orthopedic ward with a broken arm , a doctor came over to him, and recognized the procedure they had done back when he was three years old. He had read about the process that was done back in the day, and even correctly identified my fathers surgeon. It took about fifteen people for them to figure out how to do it “correctly”. For decades they followed him and his progress along with all the complications the surgery caused. It left him crippled and crooked his entire life.....and in constant pain..........but he never complained about it once. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1