The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

38 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Update:

After pounding on this car for the last 8 weeks, Phil and I took a few days off. We got back to it tonight. Windshield is back in. Started to play around with the top........figured out how to fold it. Worried about it holding up. We don’t have a top boot.......it’s going to be a problem. I think it’s safer right now to run it with it up. We did another compression test today, used a different set up, and we got: 80, 81, 80, 80. I would call that pretty consistent. We are going to try dialing in the magneto........and probably swap over to the Zenith. I have a 1917 photo showing I’m missing the air intake tube and choke horn, as well as the choke stove installed by the factory. The plan is to dial it in with the Zenith, and then go back to the White carb. We still have some cleaning to do......and make a gas guage. The car is at the end of the recommissioning process.....it’s now officially in the over road sorting process. Still no answer from the state on my paperwork. It’s looking like it’s going to be a sxxt show. The only good point is the courthouse is less than a mile from my driveway, so showing up every day to piss them off is certainly an option. I’ll give them a few more days, then I’m going to get ugly. Easy for me to do! It feels good the car is basically done. Now the check list is very short, and more finesse than repairs. Time to put miles on it. 👍

Congrats, Ed, glad to see you're so close to being done. Really looking forward to seeing the car.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

Congrats, Ed, glad to see you're so close to being done. Really looking forward to seeing the car.

Come on down and drive it!

• Like 1

Update:

Florida finally contacted me this morning. They are going to give me an assigned VIN number. So, I will accept it so I can register it, and them take them to court to run my regular factory assigned VIN. I refuse to let them trample on my rights, or stick a modern sticker on my car permanently. More BS to deal with for no reason. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Little vasoline where the sticker goes first makes it easy to remove and put in glove box.

Guess I've just learned how to deal with the Florida DMV.  In 2017 had to title a '73 Innocenti with an Italian title & six digit identification number, took three visits to find the right/undertanding DMV office. Helped that I had about a 1/2" of papers. Am surprised they did not suggest a paper 30 day temporary tag while all of this was going on.

Maybe now you'll rethink the dealer plates.

mini.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Ed:

Have you ever considered Dealer Plates? That would require you to get a Florida Dealer License, but then you could run the dealer late on whatever car you desired. There are requirements that would need to be met, and costs associated with it, but at least you would not have a state assigned VIN. Just a thought.....

Kevin

3 minutes ago, kevin1221 said:

Ed:

Have you ever considered Dealer Plates? That would require you to get a Florida Dealer License, but then you could run the dealer late on whatever car you desired. There are requirements that would need to be met, and costs associated with it, but at least you would not have a state assigned VIN. Just a thought.....

Kevin

Sorry for posting what Padgett had just posted. We must have been typing at the same time!

Kevin

We will shoot a good video.....in the parking lot and down the road. I will do my impressions of Jay Leno’s garage. We still have work to do. Lots of other things starting to pick up.........car show season preparations are now in effect. I’m doing the Palm Beach Concours.......it was moved from Worth Ave to the Polo club. No public allowed. We will get out with 100 other cars and have a picnic on the grass among the cars with social distancing. There is a ton of room.....so they are going to take a bunch of assorted cars. Weather should be perfect. At least we will get a car on a field for the first time since Amelia. I will probably take the Stearns Knight Brunn Auto Show car. I would take the White, but it will be a drive home in total darkness.....and we have not yet got to the lights........did actually start on them today, before the sxxt hit the fan. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

We will shoot a good video.....in the parking lot and down the road. I will do my impressions of Jay Leno’s garage. We still have work to do. Lots of other things starting to pick up.........car show season preparations are now in effect. I’m doing the Palm Beach Concours.......it was moved from Worth Ave to the Polo club. No public allowed. We will get out with 100 other cars and have a picnic on the grass among the cars with social distancing. There is a ton of room.....so they are going to take a bunch of assorted cars. Weather should be perfect. At least we will get a car on a field for the first time since Amelia. I will probably take the Stearns Knight Brunn Auto Show car. I would take the White, but it will be a drive home in total darkness.....and we have not yet got to the lights........did actually start on them today, before the sxxt hit the fan. 

Does A.J. Know about these plans 🤔🥺

11 minutes ago, Doozer said:

Does A.J. Know about these plans 🤔🥺

Nothing to be concerned about.....when he sees the car in the magazines he will immediately come up to speed. Doozer, come on down and help detail it.......you can drive it the twenty miles to the show........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Nothing to be concerned about.....when he sees the car in the magazines he will immediately come up to speed. Doozer, come on down and help detail it.......you can drive it the twenty miles to the show........

Yeah....A.J. Is probably busy with chores anyway. When is the show and when do you need me there. 

November 15th. 

If the wife wasn’t so delusional about the COVID, I would give you a place to stay. 

• Thanks 1

When I know if I am taking a car from the collection VS taking my White or AJ’s Stearns, I’ll let you know. If it’s a “collection” car I will be officially on the clock, and can not have guests. If it’s one of ours, your welcome to come down, and go for a spin, and come to the show. It’s not open to the public......and I’m not sure what all the restrictions will be, but I’m rather certain if your sitting in the car, you will be allowed in.

One thing is for certain, the first national AACA meet in Florida or just over the border.....I will display the 1917 White.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:03 PM, edinmass said:

Update:

After pounding on this car for the last 8 weeks, Phil and I took a few days off. We got back to it tonight. Windshield is back in. Started to play around with the top........figured out how to fold it. Worried about it holding up. We don’t have a top boot.......it’s going to be a problem. I think it’s safer right now to run it with it up. We did another compression test today, used a different set up, and we got: 80, 81, 80, 80. I would call that pretty consistent. We are going to try dialing in the magneto........and probably swap over to the Zenith. I have a 1917 photo showing I’m missing the air intake tube and choke horn, as well as the choke stove installed by the factory. The plan is to dial it in with the Zenith, and then go back to the White carb. We still have some cleaning to do......and make a gas guage. The car is at the end of the recommissioning process.....it’s now officially in the over road sorting process. Still no answer from the state on my paperwork. It’s looking like it’s going to be a sxxt show. The only good point is the courthouse is less than a mile from my driveway, so showing up every day to piss them off is certainly an option. I’ll give them a few more days, then I’m going to get ugly. Easy for me to do! It feels good the car is basically done. Now the check list is very short, and more finesse than repairs. Time to put miles on it. 👍

Have you asked for a temporary tag?   Maybe they would issue that and get you on the road legally while they dealt     

with the 6 digit serial #.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:02 AM, edinmass said:

Update"

Florida finally contacted me this morning. They are going to give me an assigned VIN number. So, I will accept it so I can register it, and them take them to court to run my regular factory assigned VIN. I refuse to let them trample on my rights, or stick a modern sticker on my car permanently. More BS to deal with for no reason. 

Have you asked for a temporary tag?   Maybe they would issue that and get you on the road legally while they deal 

with the 6 digit serial #.

Update:

Well, this has been an interesting morning. Through the friend of a friend, this thread was the topic of conversation between two old school car guys........and one said to the other...........I know that car if it’s the one I am thinking of............he asked for my contact information through the grape vine. He called me this morning. He asked for a photo of the car while we were on the phone. He confirmed he was good friends with the second owner of the car, and had its history. Including photos from the old days............mostly the information I had was reasonably accurate.......with the dates off. We now know where this car was since 1929......and it may be possible to go back further. I won’t have the details for a few more weeks.........the gentleman is coming down to drive it. He tried purchasing it back in the late 60’s or very early 70’s. While he didn’t succeed......he has owned six White automobiles over the years........so......the AACA thread made all this new history possible! 👍👍👍👍

As a teaser......it shared garage space with a handful of Bugatti's in the 40’s and later!

Thanks to the AACA......this site just makes all old cars better!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:29 PM, edinmass said:

November 15th. 

If the wife wasn’t so delusional about the COVID, I would give you a place to stay. 

I opened up the weekly email from our office (the company I work for runs the testing and the reporting for our County) and hate to say it, but this was probably only the third weekly update I have looked at since Covid started.   As of 10/02/2020, the hospitalization to death rate for our county is 25% and the state hospitalization to death rate is 30% - I was shocked as I thought the rate was 3 to 5% (that is the catching it to survival rate), but apparently not the case. So, I guess if someone is unlucky enough to have to go to the hospital the statistics do not run real well in their favor. 

I think the numbers you have may be off......but I agree, once you end up in the hospital things get bad fast. I am good friends with one of the top people at Johns Hopkins......a doctor, not a janitor. We discussed his impressions of it, and where the real danger is. If your over 60 you want to keep away from most public venues till the vaccination comes out. The real threat is other health issues that complicate your recovery. Being over seventy with a handful of health problems and then your in big trouble.  The chronically ill elderly are very susceptible to bad outcomes. Healthy elderly  the death rate is probably five percent. 

Remember....even with a vaccination......your protection is only in the fifty percent range. Unless the general population agrees to basically mass vaccinations.........this thing could linger for a while.........let’s hope people get on board with the  immunizations..........but somehow I think the libertarians........like me, may not want them. I for one will get it as soon as possible. There is no magic bullet, and no magic cure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I think the numbers you have may be off......but I agree, once you end up in the hospital things get bad fast. 

Covid for SW Ohio as of 10/02/2020 - 2106 hospitalizations and 558 deaths - that is a shocking 25% death rate. Now for the kicker - for Ohio there were 15,688 hospitalizations 3312 ICU admissions and 4905 deaths - that is a roughly 30% death rate. And of course Hamilton County is a Level 3 - very high risk of exposure.

Obviously, still surface level statistics - I am sure there is a much more comprehensive break down out there. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It’s strange how regional numbers and outcomes differ........demographics, health care systems......it’s gonna be twenty five years of numbers crunching before they get all the answers we would like to have now. We all can’t crawl under a rock and hide........but we need to make sure the vulnerable people are protected within reason. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, edinmass said:

let’s hope people get on board with the  immunizations..........

I will refuse no matter what.  It takes years to do a vac properly/safely, and you'd have to be a brainwashed ignorant idiot to take one this soon.

This is all stroked numbers,  How about Facts >>> Less than 9000 death certificates from all of the 200,000 in all of USA,  looked at by CDC showed  Covid ONLY as the cause.  96% of the 200,000 total had 2.4 additional life threating issues.

Get off the mainstream media Tel-lie-vision lies, and find the truths on the web.  I'm ashamed at the "adults" that perpetuate this nonsense and frighten our children and have caused suicides/abuses etc. 

this post won't last long, but I am Pissed....and at nearly 69 and never once have worn the mask.

• Like 1

The CDC has accurate numbers and report them. C19 causes heart problems and other problems people have are then heighten. It’s an epidemic. The only way it will be stopped is a vaccine that 90% of the population get. Stick your head in the sand if you want but science makes sense over self opinions. 

Now back to more about this fantastic automobile we want to see run. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1

Thread has gotten waay off topic, I suspect the covid deaths per White owner are very low.

Also need to remember that cars that survived WWII were pennies, I recall an advt for a Duesy for $600 in an old mag. Same as had to pay to retrieve my Judge in the 1980s. Only thing I know about the future is that it will be different from anything imaginable.

ps am near a recluse anyway but never go out without full paraphenalia, nearly every square inch is covered.

pps all of the pandemic numbers I've seen have been incomplete or slanted. Is pure (name I shall not mention).

Ok- Back to car comments only. I’m fine with everything that was posted.......but we don’t want the thread to get moderated. We can all agree that we want everyone here happy and healthy! Do what works for you, and please consider others. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here is a distant little brother to my car......looks like a factory body.......But I haven’t been able to talk to the owner yet.......the great great grandson of The White Company.

81FABB03-B45C-466A-A802-27710F75E850.png

• Like 4

UPDATE:

Well, as things never go as we planed, I suffered a TERRIBLE setback today in my car collecting. Seems last night at dinner, the wife remembered we were supposed to get her a new car. I explained all the "times are tough" with the pandemic, and it's no time to buy a new car with all the extra expenses associated with it. I said it's just out of the question right now till our finances stabilize more............and then she says to me..........So, you bought two new old cars, and have been pouring money  into them like California is pouring water onto all the fires out there..........but we can't get me a new car? And I answered ......"yes, correct. First things first. Who needs a new car? One always needs another old car."    So, I am informed to cook my own dinner, do my own laundry, and not bother her anymore by speaking to her............  wonder how long it's going to last THIS TIME! The best thing is I will enjoy the quiet for a while. I expect to get my paperwork and have the White registered early in the week. And in the additional good news department, the other new car has been picked up on Long Island, and is now in a good friends place with safe and secure free storage. So.....just a teaser on the "other new car"................Like AJ's Sterns Knight and my 1917 White..........it's a product of the same town! YUP, I bought another car from the city called "the mistake by the lake!".........some people call it Cleavland Ohio. To be fair, I have often visited and enjoyed my time I have spent there, and found it to be a nice city. Don't get too excited about the new undisclosed car......it's stranger than AJ's personality and so far off the beaten path it makes the White look like a common car. Interestingly, my friend put the new arrival in his garage and up on blocks........he thinks the tires are "new" and never ran, but installed BEFORE the war...........they are Firestone Gum Dipped..........time will tell. 

PS- She still hasn’t seen the White yet..........

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

One, Ed, I got your voice mail yesterday (Saturday) and I'm sorry I missed you--we were out shooting more video footage so we can continue to put videos together over the winter, so every spare moment, we're driving and shooting. Today is Canadian Thanksgiving, but I'll be in the office Monday morning and I'll give you a call.

And two:

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

You better have nice things to say about Cleveland as it may become your permanent home if your wife reads this thread in the near future while sitting in her new car! 

Maybe Matt Harwood would hire me on to be the new shop tractor mechanic..............🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SC38DLS said:

Do you have any experience? 

Yes! I can hack a good car into a rolling junkyard in minutes!👍

• Haha 5

I think I’m going to teach her a lesson............probably will be another car..............pre war, of course!

• Like 1