Good deal or pass?

Brian.Gonz

I have always wanted to restore or build cars. Very new to the field, anyways I ran into a guy selling a 1970 buick skylark for $1000 looked pretty dusty but in good condition the guy says it runs. I'm thinking it could possibly be a quick flip but then again is it ever lol? If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thanksj

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say it's a good price, but the actual value of the car will be determined by things like  - Is it a two door hardtop or a four door sedan? How much rust is there, and is it in critical areas (through the frame, etc.)? How much work will it take? Being dusty or not is of little consequence. 😉

Maybe at the top of the list is: Does it have a title? I've said this before many times, but in my state, no title generally means you can't use it as a car. Every state is different, but before you spend a dime on the car or it's repairs, determining whether your state will even license it is a must.

My view is that most $1000 cars aren't $1000 cars...they're $15,000 cars (at a minimum) waiting to happen. Not trying to discourage, but be realistic. OTOH, I paid $2100 for my old Mercury a dozen years ago and it's been pretty solid and is more or less presentable, so anything's possible.  PICS WILL HELP. Could be a real steal,

• Like 2

My 2 cents - which might be overpriced, is that means he'll take 500-750 which absolutely worse case makes it a solid parts car if nothing else.  At that price if you are willing to do the work, and the car is all there, once you get into it and really determine what it needs, if it's too far gone you should be able to part it out and easily get your money back and more.  The caveat to that is that it takes time and you have to take every little piece that you can save and is reusable by someone else and be willing to spend a year or more selling all those parts.  I just caution to make an honest assessment before you start doing any repairs or restoration and decide which way you are going with it, parts or restoration. So the real question is do you take your initial investment and double or triple it to find something better with a little more cash on hand? Or do you keep adding a little to your fund every month and find the better car while not ticking off your other half with the rusted hulk sitting in the lane/garage.  If you are really new, you can't beat the education that you'll get taking it apart as a parts car - one great way to learn all the various parts and assemblies etc.  Either way in my opinion you can't go too far wrong at that price.

I have bought many things, taking a chance and not knowing if it was worth it or not. That is a big part of the fun.

for 1000. what have to got to lose? not much.

its either a quick clean up or a parts car.  sometimes you make much more on parts......... a Buick skylark is not a big money car. Give it a shot, if you have the time and space, otherwise walk away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brian.Gonz said:

I have always wanted to restore or build cars. Very new to the field...

I'm thinking it could possibly be a quick flip...

Brian, if you really want to ENJOY old cars,

you'll want to get one to keep, fix up, drive, and enjoy.

You and your family can make a lot of memories that way.

And you'll be preserving automotive history for

generations to come.

Getting into the hobby by thinking in terms of fixing up to flip

is an entirely different approach.  Improving a car rarely

brings a return on your investment.  And if you try to take

shortcuts, serious buyers will discern low-quality work. 

Your reputation will be good only if the work is well-done

and honestly documented and explained.

My advice:  Don't think of flipping and profits.

Find the right car and keep it as something for your family to enjoy.

• Like 3

The problem trying to flip a cheap car is not in the buying price. It is in the extras that come with it. 1000.00 car plus registration fees, plus taxes, plus insurance, plus even minor repairs mean you are in that car for about double the purchase price at best. Any hidden problems that need attention can easily double it again. Not very likely to make money on a flip.

• Like 3

I would pass based on the limited information given. You state you are very new at this but seller probably isn't. There are few good $1000 cars out there but many, many bad ones. If the car was a good deal it would be gone by now as there are a lot of flippers out there. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The 55er said:

I would pass based on the limited information given. You state you are very new at this but seller probably isn't. There are few good $1000 cars out there but many, many bad ones. If the car was a good deal it would be gone by now as there are a lot of flippers out there. 

Yes and no on this.  If the car is advertised for sale out to the general public and it's still around,  it's probably not a deal,  if Word of mouth through a non car guy found it and the guy says he is willing to sell it,  that could be an entirely different ball game.   Cars not really on the market are the ones you might stand a chance to flip and buy on the low side or one just hitting the market,  if it's been for sale and everyone knows about it, then the car guys know it's not a deal or it would have already sold. 

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

"I don't know much about cars" and "a quick flip for a profit" are two things that don't go well together.

I also agree with that. Makes me wonder if I didn't waste my time with my prior sincere response to what I presumed was a sincere request.

This thread may not be worth the trouble until the OP goes to the trouble of posting some pictures from his smart phone. Until then, the question, "is a 1970 Skylark worth $1000?" is more or less impossible to answer.

• Like 1

I agree with what has been said but would put it in  a different vein,  If I had never worked on a house and I walked down the street and someone posted a for sale sign on a house next to a condemned sign would I buy it.  No.  It would be a bad investment and a money pit.  Unless you have done it before trying to flip any thing with no experience is a recipe for disaster.  If you are buying it to learn, drive and have fun then go for it as has been said it we cost you a lot more then $1000.

• Like 1

Whether it is a car or a house here is my opinion of flipping.  I  would never buy a flip, since you can always tell a cheap fix up job.  On the other hand, if you put the money into either a car or house to accomplish the job properly as a long term investment, you will most likely not get all the money out of it in the short term.

Someone putting the absolute minimum amount of money in a project, using the cheapest of everything to make it look good on the outside and in the end you still have a piece of crap.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For what my opinion is worth, and without meaning to offend anyone, the notion of "flipping" cars has gone a long way in bringing this hobby down. If the market for un-restored antique cars was limited to people who loved working on them, they'd still be affordable to anyone who wanted to get dirty. 

• Like 1

Have you been watching Reality TV "car shows"?  Here's a tip. Turn off the TV, go buy some used tools, spend $500 of the $1000 on them. Then go find a car you can bargain your way into for $500 and start working on it. After a week of wrenching you'll know if it's for you.

Chances are you won't like it. Flipping $1000 cars is easy, flipping $1000 cars for a profit? Good luck!

• Like 1

I say at 1000 there is not alot of risk.  Worse you will do is get burned for a few hundred bucks unless it's a completely rusted shell.  Clean it up,  try to get it running,  don't spend alot of money on anything,  but don't cob stuff unless it's something temporary like bypassing the fuel system to get it running,  then the next guy won't have to replace poor work.  If after you invest some time in it, you will see if it's really for you.  Very few cars have I really flipped that didn't get some degree of work to take them fro ma 4 to a 3 or something like that so essentially the difference in sale price and purchase price was the result of knowing how to bring a car up a level and doing the work.  I have wet sanded and buffed many cars with so so paint jobs to near show quality finish.  It's time consuming though so in the end you really just earn a wage as my wife says.  Of course many had lots of little things fixed the right way,  missing parts sourced,  chrome replaced,  trim straightened and polished.  So all had some degree of restoration or at minimum refurbishment to make the a better more presentable thus more sale-able car.  Kind of the same as some car dealers,  but few go to the trouble of wet sanding out cars and buffing them. 

Unless you know what you are getting into , it could become a tangled web. As a few folks said on the forum , buy something you would like to keep. A lot of flips wind up costing more money, frustration, and  selling at a loss. Good luck on what ever you choose. John

I think you have scared the OP off, he has not been back.

Easy to flip a $1,000 car for $500.  Not $500 profit, $500 loss.  Given the elementary level of the questions, that would be the expected outcome in my book.  

Never could figure out why people think TV is real.   

• Thanks 1

The OP's question doesn't include enough data for any advice, frankly. For example, if the car would turn out to be a 2 door hardtop or convertible, mostly complete with all original components, then there are a lot of valuable parts. I grew up in the antique car club, but I also grew up in the muscle car era, and I would say that 1969 and 1970 are two years in which muscle cars are the most desirable and expensive. A 1970 GS or GSX Buick (if complete), would have thousands of dollars worth of parts on them. On the other hand, if the car is a 4 door sedan with a 6 cyl or small V8, column-shifted automatic, badly rusted and missing lots of parts...not worth much at all. 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 2:54 AM, Brian.Gonz said:

I have always wanted to restore or build cars. Very new to the field, anyways I ran into a guy selling a 1970 buick skylark for $1000 looked pretty dusty but in good condition the guy says it runs. I'm thinking it could possibly be a quick flip but then again is it ever lol? If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thanksj

It's a great deal yes, here in France I have never seen a Buick at this price, even a wreck this sells for around 2000 € (and the car is very very rusty at this price)
For me I think it's really a good deal, it's not even the price of the engine and the gearbox.
Do you have pictures ?

Back in the day I flipped many a car.

Then I got busy with life.

After the retirement I still flip on occasion, BUT,,,

Huge difference in margins, total opposite.

Now its for the fun not for the profit.

I have lost my investment and then some on vehicles for the last several years.

Good thing real estate is still strong. They don't make that any more either.

Unfortunately I am thinking that the OP is a one and done.

• Like 1