Not Disappointed!!!

mrcvs

My green 4 door sedan. Two huge strikes..I've mentally prepared myself for the financial ruin, so I am committed to keeping it it for decades.

The good news is I never restored it! I pretty much just maintain it and add a few little upgrades here and there as wanted, It's one of those value-buys I guess.

It gets you into the hobby for a low price. I enjoy it and receive many smiles per mile.

ZCNtAJMRpiHjP1YaHshZDaF0fHbZB0OqD6AzJRqd

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

My green 4 door sedan. Two huge strikes..I've mentally prepared myself for the financial ruin, so I am committed to keeping it it for decades.

The good news is I never restored it! I pretty much just maintain it and add a few little upgrades here and there as wanted, It's one of those value-buys I guess.

It gets you into the hobby for a low price. I enjoy it and receive many smiles per mile.

ZCNtAJMRpiHjP1YaHshZDaF0fHbZB0OqD6AzJRqd

That is a beautiful car! 

• Like 1

I do agree woth Matt as well.  I have pals looking at $5k cars and $100k + cars that email, sometimes another perspective reinforces the buyers thought process, etc.

Ran ad ad for mrcvs on fb, despite clearly giving his contact info and stating where the car is, I am only posting for a pal, I have been PMed multiple times.  One guy even admitted he would like more pics to drool over even though the car is too far away for him!  So, a reminder that it is a lot of work to sell any car.  The very reason a lot of knowledgeable folks prefer to consign..

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I do agree woth Matt as well.  I have pals looking at $5k cars and $100k + cars that email, sometimes another perspective reinforces the buyers thought process, etc.

Ran ad ad for mrcvs on fb, despite clearly giving his contact info and stating where the car is, I am only posting for a pal, I have been PMed multiple times.  One guy even admitted he would like more pics to drool over even though the car is too far away for him!  So, a reminder that it is a lot of work to sell any car.  The very reason a lot of knowledgeable folks prefer to consign..

Yes and THANK YOU!  I did get one inquiry, a fellow left a message and I called him back and left a message.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48Firetruck said:

mrcvs, Congratulations on your sale. Since you've tied up the forum for week, called everyone cheap skates, the hobby horrible and dissed everyone younger than you despite the help they provided, could you at least have the decency to let us know the selling price and about what age group the buyer is?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell us what you plan to squander your new found wealth on! Now that you are one of the big shots with bucks. Bob 

1 hour ago, 48Firetruck said:

mrcvs,................................... let us know the selling price and about what age group the buyer is?

Yes. You are absolutely obligated to do so. You are at a peak of popularity here right now. Didn't you say you have another old car ? Why not let's start turning our attention to it at this point. Particularly in that we are all tried and true friends by now. I do think you should feel justifiably proud of a job well done, and your success in preserving domestic tranquility.    -    Carl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh , and please let this topic remain preserved. It actually is a pretty good read. A record of good teamwork with a great outcome. And whatever you do, don't upset yourself wondering how much you might have left on the table in the end. What was it you said you got for the A ?    -   Carl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the ad that did it!

1930 Model A Ford Fordor - $8750 (Macungie, PA)

Briggs Body Style;

This Model A Fordor has a rebuilt engine and fresh fluids, only driven 200 miles or so since rebuild. Ready to drive! Runs GREAT! Have been running this around town much to the delight of neighbors. Antifreeze always in radiator, fresh oil. A good solid car, wood is solid. Club members who know far more about this one stated it is a good solid car. Can use repainting, which is why it is priced where it is. Interior was redone in 1970's, not perfect, but seats are solid, a bit of wear on headliner and some interior panels. You won't find a car this solid for less. Fordors are popular today as they are comfortable to drive. This Model A is listed elsewhere and will be removed from this listing immediately if it sells locally or elsewhere.

Mileage is obviously well over 5882. Odometer and speedometer work. Gas float sometimes sticks, though.

Ladies and gentlemen, you just don't see a Fordor every day! These are popular as they are enclosed, can be driven comfortably when it's cold outside, and you can pile the wife and kids in with plenty of room to spare. Front seat is adjustable, so if you're packing a few extra pounds (LOL!), you can still drive this baby!

This year, NEW battery, points and condenser!

I believe the colour is Kewanee Green. Rims, I believe, are Apple Green.

Just got a rainshower, and does not appear to leak a drop inside. *** Photographs are part of the description.***

All sales are final. Sold AS IS! Buyer is responsible for moving this car off of property and any transfer fees. No warranty is implied or in effect. Despite this, it is a good solid car and priced to move!

Roadworthy and fun to drive!

Also, when the engine was rebuilt, the muffler/tailpipe assembly was replaced, as well as other new parts, such as the coil, etc. Much work done by Steve Ryan (R.I.P., Steve, a true friend!) as part of a Lehigh Valley Model A Club project in 2016.

CASH ONLY!!! (Having said that, if you must, you can mail me a personal check, but you cannot pick up this car until, at a minimum, ten business days have passed since I have cashed the check. So, you can see why cash is king!)

I challenge you to find a better 1930 Ford Model A Fordor on the market today with this attractive a price!

Just dropped price to $8750. Priced to move!

1930 Ford Model A

VIN: A4037693
condition: good
cylinders: 4 cylinders
fuel: gas
odometer: 5882
paint color: green
title status: clean
transmission: manual

Is it just me, or have others noticed that the prices of Model A's have really spiked in the last few hours?  Seems the rich guys are pricing everyone else out of the hobby. 

i'll let myself out. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The sales price is confidential.  I'm still wearing my shirt, but the car wasn't exactly a good investment.  My loss was the opportunity cost of enjoyment.  In a few weeks, I might start a thread about the sale, once the car is off my premises.  Slightly unique purchaser.

• Like 4

Every sales interaction is unique.  My last one was one of the easiest, Dave  (T buyer) showed up exactly when he said he would, cordial both ends, reasonable negotiations.

I have had other experiences.  I find it best to turn around and Go in the house if buyer has a real attitude.  Your car is a POS, and maybe I will do you a favor if you want to give it away never plays well with me...

Just as bad is guy who brings notepad, takes 2 plus hours and begs you not to sell till he can make a decision.  Yep, never heard from again!

Unique or not, numbers seem to be agreeable enough for mrcvs, a happy ending!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I can see why we would like to know the price.  Because 2 very long threads discussed why it wasn't selling at a higher price and what we thought it would be able to sell for.  Directly asking us what to market it at,  how to market it so he would be able to get X number of dollars for it.  Kind of like reading a book or watching a movie and getting to the climax,  only to find the last few pages or 10 minutes are missing.  Were we right?  Did it sell for the 8G I thought it would after offering several comps to price it against.   Since the whole thread was about nothing but price centric to get it sold and things needed to reel in the buyer it would be nice to know.   Hard to help the next seller if we don't know what part of our information was correct or completely wrong.  What did the buyer notice or point out.  What gave him ammo to drive the price down?  Anything we told you was easy to correct,  that didn't get done?   If it sold for the asking price,  we know you would mention it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I will reveal more in time.

Anything else I sell, my situation is it "might" be for sale.  Make me an offer...we'll see...

In this case, the space to store was lost, and I hate having to store on someone else's property, meet their demands.  I still would have not been so gung ho to sell, it was the wife's demands.

BTW, not one complaint from the neighbors, MANY compliments!  My wife and her parents/her upbringing, the mentality is, if it's not brand new, it's junk!

I kid you not, back when real estate did nothing but go up, her parents bought a new house every 2 years, just to be in a brand new house.

She's not that bad.  After a few beers, she actually enjoyed riding in the Model A.

But I learned something new.  And she agrees with this.  When the top goes down, the price goes up!  Next car, I'll be sure to go topless!

• Like 1

Ordinarily sale prices are private, although there's an argument to be made that revealing them makes all of us better educated about the market. On the other hand, the guys who pay millions at auction and there are databases that will tell you what every guy paid for his car at those auctions. After the community effort to get this Model A sold and in particular the ongoing complaints about the diminishing values of such cars and the dreadful condition of the market, I think it's reasonable to let us know what it sold for to offer it as another data point in the argument. It's not like one of us is going to start hitting you up for a loan or something now that we know you have an extra few thousand bucks.

Slightly unrelated, but perhaps relevant, I had a co-worker at another job in another life who worked at the home office in Germany. There, all the co-workers shared their salaries and he was genuinely puzzled why Americans seemed to treat it as a secret. He [correctly] surmised that by sharing that data among co-workers, they had a better chance of negotiating better deals for themselves when the time came. If they don't know what their co-workers make, the company had all the advantages and often ended up paying people vastly different rates for the same work. It was like shooting ourselves in the foot every time we went to negotiate a raise. And still nobody shared, myself included. It felt wrong to share, but I couldn't argue with his logic and his conclusions (I learned that our German counterparts made more than I did because he was all too happy to tell us his salary).

So I understand. Finances are weird. But given all the help you received, all the pricing advice, and all the woe-is-me talk of how little the car was worth, I think it would a useful coda to this symphony to know the final result. Otherwise it's like reading a novel but tearing out the last five pages. Don't do that to us.

Also, if you don't have money in hand yet, the car really isn't sold. I wouldn't start taking down ads yet. I keep cars listed until all the money is in because if you take it down then put it back up later, people who were formerly interested will suspect that someone came to buy it but it was worse than expected and backed out. Now the car is marked and much harder to sell. As I said, if I sold a car to every guy who said he'd buy it (and even gave me a deposit), I'd sell 10 times as many cars as I do. No deal is done until the money is in your account and the car has moved down the road.

I hope you'll keep us posted...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:03 AM, mrcvs said:

I'm told $11k is a fair price for this car.  Apparently not.

You or those young people will never know for sure because when a person actually buys or sells a car they will never tell the price the paid or received.

National secret, you know.

Left to my own thoughts, I figure the reason for the secrecy is fear the IRS will get wind of it and catch someone in some sort of tax evasion or money laundering.

I have to admit I have had more than a few chuckles hearing the phrases car guys come up with to avoid answering the question. But, oh, so predictable.

• Thanks 1

I have been involved with collecting and collectors since I was 12... mostly 17th & 18th-century items as well as cars. If someone asks me what I paid for something that person would have to be a close friend before I'd answer and even then I might not unless that person was a fellow collector and the purpose of the question was to get a feel for the market. Over the years - more than 50 now - I've come to see what I'd call an "unwritten protocol" that the price paid should only be shared when the question is not one of just idle curiosity.

• Like 2

in the end- does it matter to anyone whether this car sold for 6k or 8k? I dont think so, only to the OP.

And Matt, in regard to the truly high end Ferrari, Bugatti, etc. that trade hands privately, nobody knows what they sell for except the buyer and seller. far too much tax liability.

The price it sold for is irrelevant. Ten people could sell this car and get ten different prices. 8k? 12k? it doesn't really matter. No offense and considering he opted to display his feelings and make his sales experience public for the free exposure and commentary, based on the sellers angst and seeming defeatist attitude about it, it probably didn't bring much. Again, no offense implied, that is how it looked from here.

Hopefully you got what you wanted, but that is not how to make a sale in the sellers best interest.

-Ron

• Thanks 1