Paint remover

jan arnett (2)

Most of us use paint remover but how many of us has heard of Methylene Chloride.  It is the product that makes paint remover really work and is toxic.  Without it the remover it is very weak.  I have been purchasing paint remover from Lowes, Home depot, ect. but got a surprise this week.

All the big box stores have removed it from inventory.  The only place I could it was Advance Auto and they were removing it from their shelves.

If you are going to need paint remover in the near future you better get it now. 

16 minutes ago, 13CADDY said:

I've used clean-strip for years--always had good results-

The new Klean-Strip without Methylene Chloride?  There is a change on what is on store shelves. Example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Premium-Stripper-GKPS300/307994460

Apparently the EPA ban on consumer sales of Methylene Chloride went into effect in March. This is a knee-jerk reaction to the deaths of a handful of morons who were stripping bathtubs and stuck their heads down into the fumes. When used properly and with proper PPE and ventilation, this isn't a problem. Commercial sales of Methylene Chloride are still legal, so you need to find a commercial vendor. Personally, I prefer soda blasting for most applications anyway.

I tried the products without the methyl chloride mention and they failed my needs.  I was in the process of stripping a hood panel with a product from Lowes called Goof off.  I had one half of the panel stripped and ran out.  I went to lowes for a replacement and they said they no longer carried it.  I bought a gallon of Kleen Strip and tried it on the remaining panel with very little success.  The part of the hood I had stripped with GOOF OFF took 45 minutes the Kleen Strip  left on for four hours and it still didn't remove but one layer.  I took it back to lowes and they had already had three returns that week.  I called the GOOF OFF customer help line and they said it was off the market with no replacement and recommend Aircraft Stripper which was available at CARQUEST.  I went to my local CARQUEST and they were removing it from their shelfs and they sold me there last two gallons.

I've always used zip Strip.  Black and yellow can.  I found if it didn't take it off,  nothing would.  We used it in the boat shop I worked in and nothing else compared.  I haven't bought it in 4 or 5 years though so maybe like the others it's being made safe and useless like all the other good products. 

Now if they made a product that effectively safely removed the people that come up with these stupid ideas,  then I would be all for that one.  I can't wait for my Acrylic stain to peel off so I can redo it. I wonder if when figuring the improvement to products that if you use 5 times as much product and have 5 times as much waste,  having to do it much more frequently then was that considered when the original did it in one application and lasted 5 times longer.   When you skew the numbers and don't factor in everything,  you can attain any results you want. 

• Like 2

Jan:

Same experience here with these so called strippers. I bought a product with the Methylene Chloride last year from Lowe's. My 1925 Buick had a "fix up restoration" around 1970 painted in maroon/red metallic. The old lacquer paint on my hood came right off with it. But the multiple coats of the old red oxide primer underneath was a nightmare to remove. Just turned to a gummy mess. What a pain to clean up around all the louvers. Yes, I should have sent it out to get media blasted and that is what I have done to the fenders.

Everything is carcinogenic especially if you live in CA.,  even that computer keyboard you are working on.  Hell we probably take in worse Carcinogens in our food than the exposure from the limited hobby activity where we use these types of products.  Remeber it's all in how yo read the Data and present it,  not the actual data. 

But hey if i use the stuff that is not as bad for me 5 times instead of once,  it's much safer right?   

I read the label on the pallet of cultured stone that they are putting on my new house.

It seems that the state of California has determined that it causes cancer as does many other products I see lately.

But it must only cause cancer in California. None of the other states are having this problem.

• Like 1

From your politicians out there and there current policy,  they must have tested it on them specifically and determined that it caused brain cancer on all of them first.  That is the only explanation.   Don't feel bad though.  I think they have tested it on many in NY as well,  they just haven't released the results of the testing.  I can tell you first hand though,  it doesn't look good. ;) 

• Like 1

Politicians apparently never read the story of the boy who cried "wolf". We're so desensitized to this overreaction that we ignore any warnings. The term "abundance of caution" is synonymous with "lack of common sense". Keep in mind that this was brought to you by the same folks who foisted current gas can spouts on us.

• Like 2

This is not voodoo science.  Methylene chloride is a carcinogen.  I remember using it as a polymerization solvent 40 years ago with people well trained in chemistry and not afraid of handling chemicals and we were darned careful about avoiding exposure by using proper equipment.  

Would I use it as a stripper?  Yes, but only with the right equipment - good ventilation and a chemical vapor mask (NOT a dust mask) with cartridges appropriate to a polar solvent.

In the past lots of common use stuff was thought not to be a health problem but turned out to be so. Think tetraethyl lead, carbon tetrachloride, mercury compounds, asbestos, coal tar, lead oxide, trichloroethylene, tobacco,  etc, etc, etc. Stuff that was used every day by lots of people. Did it kill everyone? No. Did it cause the early demise of some. Very likely.

Myself I'll take a pass on MC.

Carry on boys. Carry on...............................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

folks who foisted current gas can spouts on us

It's not the spout itself, some of the self closing ones work well, others with a "slight" modification.

But none work without the VENT! Lucky, I was able to buy 20 of those little yellow vents on ebay a while back. Buy some and your life will change! here is a sample search phrase:  yellow fuel gas can jug vent cap.

Why was the vent discontinued? Was it too easy to dispense fuel into the lawn mower?😯

• Like 1

Inhaled methylene chloride fumes metabolize to carbon monoxide in your system. And carbon monoxide is far more easily absorbed into the blood stream than oxygen is. Then the carbon monoxide prevents the absorption of oxygen.  And the effects can be cumulative.  

Breath a little too much of methylene chloride fumes and nighty-night !

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Why was the vent discontinued?

Simple in theory - the vent allowed hydrocarbon vapors to escape into the atmosphere. Unfortunately the solutions - incorporating a vent passage into the spout -  are not particularly practical.  And sorry, but none of the spring-loaded spouts I've used work very well. Try filling the gas tank on your car with one of them. The result is always the same. You have to unscrew the spout completely and use a funnel.  This, naturally, allows far MORE hydrocarbon vapors to escape, creating a far worse problem than the old style spouts ever did.  This is a classic failure of systems engineering.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PFitz said:

Breath a little too much of methylene chloride fumes and nighty-night !

Breathe a little too much of the exhaust from your car and the same thing happens. Of course, we still have morons who die because they run a generator indoors.  I consider this to be evolution in action.

• Like 2

I believe everything causes cancer in California.  

To save money why don't the stores just put a sign at the entrance that says "Everything sold in this store causes cancer",  then they could save money by not putting labels on each product they sell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am lucky enough to still have a couple of working old style gas cans.

I have used the new kind and haven't decided just what I will do if and when they give out.

I see people that literally cut the end off so they can at least get the gas out once.

I think the vent idea that Frank suggests sounds good at least for a start.

• Thanks 1

DID say some of the spring loaded filler spots needed  a LITTLE  modification!  Amazing what a pair of dikes can accomplish on not needing to turn that part to push in at the same time.....  Some have lost their swivel stopper.....😁  I have a collection of rubber stoppers to fit the end of the spout after modification. They come on all sorts of auto and HVAC parts to keep the inside of parts clean while shipping.

I cut the tabs off bottles in the bathroom for the same reason, I do not like to squeeze and turn at the same time.👍

• Like 1

thanks for the info       I have always used stripper to clean my paint gun        got some stuff at Depot          lame       now I got a bunch of parts with some of the paint off          A MESS       in NJ       anyone know where I can get the good stuff

On 4/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, auburnseeker said:

I've always used zip Strip.  Black and yellow can.  I found if it didn't take it off,  nothing would.  We used it in the boat shop I worked in and nothing else compared.  I haven't bought it in 4 or 5 years though so maybe like the others it's being made safe and useless like all the other good products. 

Zip Strip has worked for me for 40+ years.  It's tops for me.

• Like 1