Posted (edited)

Inhaled methylene chloride fumes metabolize to carbon monoxide in your system. And carbon monoxide is far more easily absorbed into the blood stream than oxygen is. Then the carbon monoxide prevents the absorption of oxygen.  And the effects can be cumulative.  

Breath a little too much of methylene chloride fumes and nighty-night !

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Why was the vent discontinued?

Simple in theory - the vent allowed hydrocarbon vapors to escape into the atmosphere. Unfortunately the solutions - incorporating a vent passage into the spout -  are not particularly practical.  And sorry, but none of the spring-loaded spouts I've used work very well. Try filling the gas tank on your car with one of them. The result is always the same. You have to unscrew the spout completely and use a funnel.  This, naturally, allows far MORE hydrocarbon vapors to escape, creating a far worse problem than the old style spouts ever did.  This is a classic failure of systems engineering.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PFitz said:

Breath a little too much of methylene chloride fumes and nighty-night !

Breathe a little too much of the exhaust from your car and the same thing happens. Of course, we still have morons who die because they run a generator indoors.  I consider this to be evolution in action.

• Like 2

I believe everything causes cancer in California.  

To save money why don't the stores just put a sign at the entrance that says "Everything sold in this store causes cancer",  then they could save money by not putting labels on each product they sell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am lucky enough to still have a couple of working old style gas cans.

I have used the new kind and haven't decided just what I will do if and when they give out.

I see people that literally cut the end off so they can at least get the gas out once.

I think the vent idea that Frank suggests sounds good at least for a start.

• Thanks 1

I had to borrow a screwdriver from the NAPA counter guy to rip the top off the can I just bought.

Bob 

• Haha 1

DID say some of the spring loaded filler spots needed  a LITTLE  modification!  Amazing what a pair of dikes can accomplish on not needing to turn that part to push in at the same time.....  Some have lost their swivel stopper.....😁  I have a collection of rubber stoppers to fit the end of the spout after modification. They come on all sorts of auto and HVAC parts to keep the inside of parts clean while shipping.

I cut the tabs off bottles in the bathroom for the same reason, I do not like to squeeze and turn at the same time.👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

DID say some of the spring loaded filler spots needed  a LITTLE  modification!  Amazing what a pair of dikes can accomplish on not needing to turn that part to push in at the same time.....  Some have lost their swivel stopper.....😁  I have a collection of rubber stoppers to fit the end of the spout after modification. They come on all sorts of auto and HVAC parts to keep the inside of parts clean while shipping.

I cut the tabs off bottles in the bathroom for the same reason, I do not like to squeeze and turn at the same time.👍

I do the same thing on both fronts! I use about 4 different 5 gal cans, 3 for diesel for the trucks & one for gas. After seeing how ridiculous they were to use, I installed a vent in each one & removed the spring & the rest of their idiotic crap. They are now just normal fuel cans. Same with everything in the bathroom & also everything in the paint mixing room. A razor blade works nicely on the thinner, hardener, catalyst caps.

As for the original topic... I used to love Aircraft stripper before they "pussified" it as well. Most of the time these days I will mechanically strip a car or have the water blast company come here & do it for me.

God bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

thanks for the info       I have always used stripper to clean my paint gun        got some stuff at Depot          lame       now I got a bunch of parts with some of the paint off          A MESS       in NJ       anyone know where I can get the good stuff

On 4/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, auburnseeker said:

I've always used zip Strip.  Black and yellow can.  I found if it didn't take it off,  nothing would.  We used it in the boat shop I worked in and nothing else compared.  I haven't bought it in 4 or 5 years though so maybe like the others it's being made safe and useless like all the other good products. 

Zip Strip has worked for me for 40+ years.  It's tops for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just bought 2 gallons of Aircraft Stripper a Rustoleum product at Advance Auto Parts in Walton KY.  Cleaned the

m out.  Discounted price. 

Edited by 29hupp (see edit history)