Old car enthusiast touring Eastern US.

Bush Mechanic

My lady and I are about to commence touring from NC north to Newfoundland via the eastern states, and hope to see a few of the fine old American cars which I have been exposed to on the forum. 

Our plan is to finish our tour with a visit to the Hershey Fall meet, before flying home to Aus.

We would like to take the opportunity to visit some motor museums on our way north, and are hoping that forum members may be kind enough to suggest places to visit. There was a post on an interesting museum in the NE a couple of weeks ago, but I had difficulties with the site last night, and was unable to find it.

My preference would lean toward pre-war vehicles and machinery. My experience with cars of this era is rather limited, and I am keen to learn what I can, before starting the resurrection of a pre-war basket case. This forum has been an enormouse help in this regard, particularly the 'Technical' forum.

We have fired up our '89 Ford E250 'motor-home', which we purchased in Cal 3 years ago, and are back on the road.

Thanks in advance,  Mick.

• Like 3

A small, but very interesting, car museum is located at Luray Caverns, Luray, Virginia, not too far off I-81 in the Shenandoah Valley.  This is an old collection of cars, probably hasn't changed list of cars for decades, maybe 40 or so total, but some really nice pre-war stuff, including some very early cars.  The caverns are interesting, too!

There are a LOT of private collections along your route, hopefully some of these people will see your post and give you an invite!

Fun trip, hope all goes well!

I don't know where in NC you are starting but if you are in the Wilmington area, I would be happy to have you stop by. I can give you a ride in my 1937 Buick Century. I suspect I could arrange to drive you across town to a friend's fairly extensive private collection. If you have any interest in later cars,  mostly muscle cars, I recently learned of another difficult to believe collection owned by another local AACA member that I could probably arrange for you to see also. We have quite a few nice cars to see in the Wilmington area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

There is an auto museum in Norwich NY.  They have an impressive Collection of Franklyns.  Also a couple of Duesenbergs an Auburn Boat tail and a Cord along with many other 30's-50's cars.  

That would be the Northeast Classic Car Museum. Over 170 vehicles, of which most are prewar. Plus displays of WWI & WWII engines.

http://www.classiccarmuseum.org/about-us/

Paul

Ther is a good motorcycle musem in the MAGGIE VALLEY NC  called "WHEELS THROUGH TIME."

This is a link to the web site and directions. Hope you have a great time. You may alo want to see "The Bay of Fundy"  it has the highest tide movement in the world and is very interesting to watch the tide come in or go out. It happens very fast - one tide was measured at 71 feet. normal is around 55 feet. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwidwoGy48rVAhWqsVQKHaMTCfEQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwheelsthroughtime.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNHSDgQRWvzynIjdjkvNCsEYyCQyNg

• Like 1

Well,  thank you, gentlemen, for your response.

We look forward to visiting some of the suggested collections. They all appear to be interesting, and we will include  as many as we can. Also pleased to see a trend toward making them interesting to those partners who are not necessarily enraptured with the cars, per se.

Thank you MCHinson for your kind offer. Unfortunately we are leaving from New Bern, in the NE, tomorrow and have family commitments in Fredericksburg VA on Saturday. But the Luray Caverns seem to be on our route. We actually passed through Wilmington last year, heading down to Mexico. And SC38DLS, that motorbike museum sounds good, and we have passed nearby twice in previous years, unaware, but I think we will pick up the Parkway further north, after Fredericksburg, this year.

So many things to do and see, and just one lifetime to do it all in! Oh, well, we do our best.

Thanks again, Mick.

You may want to add the Glenn Curtis Museum in Hammondsport NY to the list if you enjoy early motorcycle and aviation history.  It's one of my favorite smaller museums.  The local wines are great too.

Terry

13 minutes ago, Bush Mechanic said:

Thanks Terry.

Incidently, we have found that aviation history is a subject of some contention, here in NC. We made the mistake of mentioning Gustave Whitehead. Whoops!

You are in Wright Brothers turf so be careful what you say about others!

Terry

Heritage Museums & Gardens in Sandwich, Massachusetts has an impressive collection of motor cars, many of them displayed in a replica of a round barn. The 40-vehicle collection spanning 1899-1962 was started by Josiah K. Lilly III and is in the Cape Cod region. There´s a 1909 White steam car, a 1910 Peerless, a 1912 Mercer, a 1915 Stutz, and a 1931 Duesenberg, as well as 100 acres of gardens, art, and historic buildings. 

If you were zigging and zagging a little you could pick up the Crawford Museum, Cleveland, OH; The Henry Ford Museum/Deerfield Village near Detroit, MI; and the Gilmore Car Museum near Kalamazoo, MI.

Edited by jeff_a
Corrected the state HM&G is in to Massachusetts. What was I thinking? (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I always forget about Cole's. Another couple museums in Maine are the Wells Auto Museum which also has an impressive collection of music machines mixed in, and the Stanley Museum in Kingfield. Boothbay railway  village has a small collection as well. We have many great tour memories from up there and it's beautiful country for slow driving!

I am getting jealous over your trip. I don't know when you are up there but there is a Model T Tour the week after Labor Day stationed in the Belfast area and it is a favorite for many years now.

• Like 1

The Classic Car Center is here in Fredericksburg, VA. Mostly post war cars are stored there the last time I stopped by. Owner has a 1931 (?) Packard there. Check their website to see if it holds interest for you.

http://classiccarcenter.net/

You could stop by my house, but the 38 Graham in my picture has the front sheetmetal off for water tube replacement and replace supercharger drive bearing.

Luray Caverns is good. Both caverns and car museum. You missed the "Cooter's Last Stand" held near there two weekends back. I missed it too. Way more General Lees in one spot than you could shake a stick at.:D

Thanks again for the imput, gents. Maine is firming up as a must visit, among others. We don't plan ahead very far, so remain quite flexible in our wanderings. Have not even booked a flight out, as after Hershey we will need to sell or give away our sweet old Ford, somewhere in the Eastern states. This will be our final jaunt here in the states.

Frank, thanks for the invite. Actually, I find a car in pieces more interesting than viewing from behind a rope! After 10 weeks on the road in Europe I am missing practical, hands-on activity. The Ford usually gives me a small fix, by needing a king-pin, a new seal in the steering box,  an alternator and other small repairs along the road, over 3 trips. They are good like that, these older vehicles! So I may even take you up on the invite, depending on the visiting commitments in Fredericksburg. If so I will pm for contact. 

Thanks, Mick.

Bush, I would strongly suggest that you make your Hershey reservations for a hotel NOW. If you can't get one ask and someone on this site and we can suggest lodging. I make my reservations for next year the day I check out.

Rooms for Hershey are not like they were years ago.  I forgot to make my reservation for the Hershey Lodge last year and didn't figure it out until the Tuesday.  I had to do one night in Harrisburg and then the next 3 days I was able to get my regular room at the Lodge.  I almost stayed in Harrisburg the whole week as the room was 1/3 of the Lodge price.

2 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Bush, I would strongly suggest that you make your Hershey reservations for a hotel NOW. If you can't get one ask and someone on this site and we can suggest lodging. I make my reservations for next year the day I check out.

Thanks for the tip, Woody.

Some months ago I arranged a place 12 miles distant from the site to park in the van. I'm hoping that there is plenty of day-parking available near the venue, enabling us to drive over each day. It will all be a new experience for us, so not sure what to expect.

Bush Mechanic- are you planning to route thru upstate NY and see the Glenn Curtiss Museum?  It is an hour from me and I call it a hidden jewel of the Finger Lakes with great cars, airplanes and early motorcycles.  It also had an open workshop where they are restoring a P51 Mustang right now and you can walk in , around and under the plane as you talk to the restorers.  They also have a great doll collection, some china and other lifestyle displays for the ladies. 

If you do come to the area I would enjoy meeting up with you or maybe show you my small collection.  Could even put you to work in the garage if you insist!  The Finger Lakes is a beautiful area of lakes, hills, scenic rural roads and many world class wineries.  Come enjoy a visit if you can.  As for Maine you must see Seal Cove if you like brass, Owls head for early airplanes and pre-war cars and Cole Museum for a variety of transportation displays.  Truly love Maine myself, feels like a second home on the coast up there!

I have a friend who spent seven weeks kayaking in your Tasmania, all the way down some big river to the ocean.  She loved it and made many friends!  However they are now in Las Vegas and would be unable to meet with us.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bill Boudway said:

Hi,

I believe that the museum in Wells , Maine is closed now.

Best to check it out before planning a visit.

Thanks, Bill.

And Greg, another possible for the list.

Bush, don't worry about parking, plenty of parking available. Bring comfortable shoes as Hershey is all on blacktop now. Car show on Saturday is on grass.  If you are interested in antique race cars then check out the Race Car Run in the stadium on Friday at 11:00 AM. This Hershey will be my 49th year of attending.

1 minute ago, 46 woodie said:

Bush, don't worry about parking, plenty of parking available. Bring comfortable shoes as Hershey is all on blacktop now. Car show on Saturday is on grass.  If you are interested in antique race cars then check out the Race Car Run in the stadium on Friday at 11:00 AM. This Hershey will be my 49th year of attending.

Yea! Woody, looking forward to it.

Have lost 2 replies to Lebowski and Avantey due to reception and skills short-comings. Will try again later. Hope this gets out. Mick

Hi,

Another worthwhile attraction in Maine is the live steam railway in Wiscasset.

wwfry.org.

They run on weekends and offer rides on their 2' gage track.

Also have a Model T Ford track car to ride on.

Best to check their timetable to make sure that they are steaming .

IMG_3964.JPG

IMG_3963.JPG

Edited by Bill Boudway
Add photos (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another attraction in Maine, right on the coast, is the 

Seashore Trolley Museum 

195 Log Cabin Rd,
Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Avantey's offer is genuine - visit this long-time friend if you have the opportunity - at the north end of Seneca Lake

Yes, but despite the issues, where else in the world can you see a major part of Dave Cammick's Tucker collection? I can no longer see it in Alexandria, VA, as he donated it to the museum in Hershey upon his death.

Hello again. Apologies for the delay in replying. Using a smart phone, and the fingers are even thicker than the brain! Seems a couple of my post disappeared someplace..

Frank and Avantey, I have sent you  PMs

Bill, I grew up next to the tracks, and love the smell of coal burners. Who can resist an old engine?

Tom and Woodie. Thanks, yes, I have been following the little rift, as a distant observer, but I'm sure the Museum is still well worth a look.....

And thanks Marty, it's penciled in.

What a friendly response from you forum members. We probably won't find time to visit all of the suggestions, (Will have to stop for quilt displays etc as well!),  but our trip will surely be enriched by the information received.

Thank you Gentlemen,   Mick.

• Like 1

You are starting an adventure that will stick with you the rest of your life, see fantastic cars/bikes/planes, meet people that are interesting and some that are generous beyond description. When gas dropped into the two dollar range my wife and I decided to take our long talked about "Lap of America". Fired up the old 13mpg 37 Buick (we cheated, it has a/c) and off we went. Never a day comes up now that something won't trigger a memory and bring back a warm satisfying feeling. From Dallas down to I10 then up I95, across I90, down the Pacific Coast Highway, and finally back to Texas on I10. Only one blip and that was a fuel pump of which I had an extra. This was in the mountains (Grand Tetons) and after I raised the hood I don't think a single car passed without stopping and someone offering to help an old (80) man. If your planning a week then budget for four because of all the side trips and with an old car gas stops will take 45 minutes instead of 10, and lunch stops will take at least an hour since everyone's Dad/Granddad/Uncle/ Friend/ Neighbor had a car just like it and you get the details; warmly accepted. I wish I was convoying with you, good luck.

Deep snow 011.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just hosted Mick and his lady for a couple of days.  Wonderful, interesting pair who enjoyed the Curtiss Museum and the scenic area I call home.  He is kind of new to American pre-war and I think Seal Cove hooked them on brass!  They taught me that a rumble seat is really called a dickey seat, would  like to know the story behind that Brit terminology.  Thank you for coming by , enjoyed your company and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Bush Mechanic,

Since you like trains.........also consider the Boothbay  Railway Village, Maine. It´s between Portland and Camden. Has steam train and automotive equipment....site says open daily until OCT 17th. I´m sure your experience in Hershey will be stellar!

Jeff