Garage & Car Barn Thread

alsancle

Define  "wash station"   I have a 2 sinks in the work area, one is a hand th other is laundry sink, plus  a shower and a sink in the bathroom.  Or are you suggesting a chemical wash station?

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My rules have been:

1.  Within 1 hour of a major airport

2.  Within 30 minutes of a tirsheary hospital.

3.  Within 10 minutes of a major grocery store.

Check out Vail AZ on Google maps. Just outside of Tucson, but with all the amenities nearby.

• Like 1

My folks lived in AZ. When I would go out to see them I would take a shower and before I could cross the room I felt sandy all over. Dad used to say “but it’s dry heat!” My answer was - not when you sweat like I do! 

The desert was meant for snakes, lizards and cactus. 
dave s. 

ps I bet I get some feed back about this comment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Define  "wash station"   I have a 2 sinks in the work area, one is a hand th other is laundry sink, plus  a shower and a sink in the bathroom.  Or are you suggesting a chemical wash station?

Sorry Paul, I mean an indoor space for washing cars with some pressure and drains underneath it .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Sorry Paul, I mean an indoor space for washing cars with some pressure and drains underneath it .

I had one...until my father added a few other purchases that took up the floor space.  It was really nice this time of year for washing the salt off the daily drivers but you had to be mindful of the humidity from washing anything.   It could take a few hours to really dry up everything.  Now I just wash everything outside when it's above freezing and you don't have to contend with the all the dirt etc on the shop floor.

• Like 1

While we do not need more residence,  do some checking on Georgetown TX.

It is exactly one hour from the Austin airport via the toll road (which also goes by the new Tesla plant)

From the downtown area, there are 4 hospitals within 10 miles.

It has become a retirement community since Dell Webb started a community back in the early '90's,  it has about 17,000 residents, 3 golf courses, etc. 

It is on the edge of the Texas Hill Country,    Don't know by what measurement they used but they say "the most beautiful town square in Texas"

There are choices of single family homes on standard lots, apartments, several condos built in the last 5 years,  building lots of one acre and up including

some with 10 plus as you get further from town.   Georgetown population as of the 2020 was almost 67,000  I suspect it is over 70,000 by now. 

Example of taxes... County tax (per $100 value) = .4187,  School tax = 1.398, if in the city (tax) = .418   

Sales tax in the state is .0625   Cities can add sales tax but I believe the limit is .0825

No property tax in Texas  .... your pay no taxes on your collector cars,  Texas has Classic car registration, good for 5 years (about $50 at this time) and no state inspection 

when registered as a Classic.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I purchased my new place a couple of years ago it had a 40x 50 stick built shop a 25x40 shop space with 220/440 wiring and a 1-1/2 car garage which also houses my well head, pump and pressure tanks. 

The house needed some up grades all superficial as the bones were good. 

As far as location, I lucked out while I'm in the country with some acreage, the location was a definite plus. I have 2 fire stations one on each side of me, one is 2 miles and the other 3 miles. Home Depot is 8 miles. Several major grocery stores all major ones within 5 miles. Not to mention a couple of gas stations a short distance away.

The best hidden secret is an old fashion wood floor hardware store with a nut and bolt supply to die for. What they don't have they can have in a couple of days.

I did my home work before I purchased and it really pays off. I might be paying a few pennies more for some things I get at the hardware store but the time and trouble it takes to go to the big box stores is worth it.

brasscarguy 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brasscarguy2 said:

When I purchased my new place a couple of years ago it had a 40x 50 stick built shop a 25x40 shop space with 220/440 wiring and a 1-1/2 car garage which also houses my well head, pump and pressure tanks. 

The house needed some up grades all superficial as the bones were good. 

As far as location, I lucked out while I'm in the country with some acreage, the location was a definite plus. I have 2 fire stations one on each side of me, one is 2 miles and the other 3 miles. Home Depot is 8 miles. Several major grocery stores all major ones within 5 miles. Not to mention a couple of gas stations a short distance away.

The best hidden secret is an old fashion wood floor hardware store with a nut and bolt supply to die for. What they don't have they can have in a couple of days.

I did my home work before I purchased and it really pays off. I might be paying a few pennies more for some things I get at the hardware store but the time and trouble it takes to go to the big box stores is worth it.

brasscarguy 

I apologize if you already mentioned this but location?

My wife and I are in Tucson vacationing.  We hope to retire and spend at least 7 months out of the year here.   On frigid days in the northern Chicago, part of our daily ritual is to look at zillow listings in Tucson and torture ourselves.  We went to an open house yesterday to look at a home that had an interesting feature.  The house was enormous, way more square footage than I want or need in retirement, but had fantastic views.  I was drawn to the size of the lot,  1.6 acres.  The relevence to this thread was that there was one very interesting component of the property.  It had a tennis court.  It was a sad looking court, not looking like much competitive tennis had been played on it, but the footprint of it complied with setbacks and lot limitations (or did originally and could possibly be grandfathered in).  The realtor told me that building a "garage" on it would be allowed as long as the architectural elements were in keeping with the main home.  I'm sure that the concrete for the tennis court couldn't be your slab for a building, it is designed for the weight of an adult running around, not a 5,000 pound car, or lifts, etc.....  but it is graded flat and complies with the setbacks associated with lot lines.   I made a note to myself......tennis court on property=good feature.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:10 AM, 3macboys said:

I had one...until my father added a few other purchases that took up the floor space.  It was really nice this time of year for washing the salt off the daily drivers but you had to be mindful of the humidity from washing anything.   It could take a few hours to really dry up everything.  Now I just wash everything outside when it's above freezing and you don't have to contend with the all the dirt etc on the shop floor.

You may also find that building codes require that a floor drain be connected to your special cleanable waste tank.   They worry about oil & antifreeze in the ground 

water.   I know none of us would do that, but I've seen oil changes in coin operated car washes, so not everyone is law abiding.

• Like 1

I just read through this entire thread and I must say that I'm a bit envious. It is nice to see that other members are building and enjoying their "garage-mahals". I once had dreams of moving to the country to get some land and do the same, but I don't see that in the future anymore. I'm staying put in San Jose, I don't have a lot of space but the weather is fantastic. This morning I awoke to 45  degrees and clear blue skies. I had just returned from a couple of days in Pismo Beach, with equally perfect weather. I'd like to see a thread on regular two car, (maybe three car ) suburban garage solutions. It's not a situation to dream about, but it's the reality for a lot of us. 

I close with a shot of Jack Olsen's 12 gauge garage. I told my Wife, maybe all I need is a Porsche 911. 

1023616D.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rivguy said:

I just read through this entire thread and I must say that I'm a bit envious. It is nice to see that other members are building and enjoying their "garage-mahals". I once had dreams of moving to the country to get some land and do the same, but I don't see that in the future anymore. I'm staying put in San Jose, I don't have a lot of space but the weather is fantastic. This morning I awoke to 45  degrees and clear blue skies. I had just returned from a couple of days in Pismo Beach, with equally perfect weather. I'd like to see a thread on regular two car, (maybe three car ) suburban garage solutions. It's not a situation to dream about, but it's the reality for a lot of us. 

I close with a shot of Jack Olsen's 12 gauge garage. I told my Wife, maybe all I need is a Porsche 911. 

There are some good build threads on the garage journal.  A lot are repetitive I thought the 12 gauge one was interesting.   It is nice to see a well designed uncluttered small space.

• Like 2

Since Ed keeps bringing this up,  I'll post a picture of my goat shed.   2x6, fully insulated and heated with a quartz barn heater.  Has a loft with stairs.    Actually, by time I was done with the pen and the shed that money would have put  up a 24x24 Morton building no problem.

790.JPG

791.JPG

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

My wife wants a goat.

Now that I see what's involved, my wife can't have a goat.

1.  I have to muck the shed twice a day and feed them at the same time - 20 minutes each.

2.  Once a month I have to go get hay and bedding.   150 bucks,  about 2 hours end to end by the time I have it all in the loft.

3.  Both goats ended up at Tufts animal hospital when they were young.   I won't tell you what that cost because you will all assume I'm a bigger idiot than you already do.

4.  Vet comes twice a year to shave heir hoofs and check on them.   150 a visit.

On the other hand, they are smart, and they become part of the family and the fabric of life like any pet. 

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My daughter's pony (when she was 10) cost $900. I then spent another $350,000 buying the land, house we built and barn for the horse.  This was back in the early 80's. She went on to the highest level of three day eventing and I refuse to total the dollars spent. I did build the barn so I could remove the stalls and use it as my garage which was great. The last big horse she had she sold and paid for grad school. a car and an apartment in Boston for the time she was in school there.  Money well spent and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

We also had a visiting goat that liked to come over from the neighbors. My wife's book club was not to happy with it when they went to leave and found him standing on the hood of a car. When they tried to get him to leave he jumped from one car to the next then ran home.  The neighbor paid for the damage and soon had the goat sent away to who knows where. Goats can get expensive just like horses in the barn or under the hood.

dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

Disclaimer: I grew up on a farm and had a miniature goat. We got Rocky when he was really young and he hung out with the dogs most of the time. Eventually he seemed to think he was a dog. They'd all lay on the porch together and when they saw a squirrel or barn cat, they'd all three of them jump up, make a ruckus, and take off after it. Occasionally Rocky would head-butt one of the dogs and they'd be like WTF, bro?

I liked Rocky the goat. But I don't want to try to make Rocky live in the suburbs...

• Like 1

A buddy of mine has a ranch out in Idaho (with an awesome car barn).   I was with him one time when it was time to feed the chickens and goats.  He points at one of the goats and tells me a story.  The goats were his girlfriends pets and he wasn't too thrilled with them.  He came home one day and one of them was standing on his Truck.   He took out his 38 and started chasing it around the farm shooting at it until his girlfriend saw him and freaked out.

So goat stories.......(clearly hijacking the thread)......

I grew up in rural Indiana and my dad was big into gardening. We had an orchard and he had been babying the apple trees, pruning, spraying, fertilizing, he was so proud of them and we were going to have a bumper crop that year. The apples were usually ripe in late August. My cousins came up from Oklahoma to visit in early August and my dad was off at the office all day working and my mom and aunt stayed inside drinking coffee to escape from the wild children playing outside. While they drank coffee, we started throwing apples over the fence at the herd of goats the farmer had next-door. It was so much fun that we drug ladders out of the barn and garage and climbed deep up into the apple trees and pulled every single apple out of those trees about a 3 week before they were to be ripe. We spent eight hours throwing apples at this herd of 80 or 90 goats. My dad got home about 5:30 and went in the house and saw my mom and aunt drinking coffee inside and asked where the kids were.  “Outside playing and leaving us alone”.....  my dad went out back to check on us and our crime was revealed along with a herd of swollen belly, sick goats. Goats don’t get full. They keep eating as long as you throw apples at them....

that story has been retold for the last 50 years.

what was this thread about????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey, AJ!  How many goats do you have?  Looks like one, but maybe the others are not photogenic... 

I'm guessing they are pets, and not livestock, right? 

Are you making cheese with their milk?  

Do they help out around your place?  Do you still have to mow or do they take care of that for you?

We bought 10 acres last April and while we can have 4 horses, it specifically said no farm animals, but both neighbors have chickens!  And, one shares their overabundance of eggs!

My kids (almost 18 & 22) think it would be cool to get some goats or sheep, but I know who will be taking care of them...

Nice goat house!  Greg 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

it would be cool to get some goats or sheep,

Yea, my kids had the same thought.

Got two neutered goats (this should be easy)   NOT

They climb on everything, they have a way of getting into everything.

They will climb fences to get at the neighbors' shrubs and trees.

When they get out they get into anything and everything and will piss of everyone to the hood.

And if they get out are about impossible to round up.

Never again !!!!!!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

Hey, AJ!  How many goats do you have?  Looks like one, but maybe the others are not photogenic... 

I'm guessing they are pets, and not livestock, right? 

Are you making cheese with their milk?  

Do they help out around your place?  Do you still have to mow or do they take care of that for you?

We bought 10 acres last April and while we can have 4 horses, it specifically said no farm animals, but both neighbors have chickens!  And, one shares their overabundance of eggs!

My kids (almost 18 & 22) think it would be cool to get some goats or sheep, but I know who will be taking care of them...

Nice goat house!  Greg 

They are just pets.

440EE81C-5253-4E1B-AC0C-735A99BA4328.jpeg

• Like 2

We used to have 4 . When we lived on a small acreage it wasn't that much work. But you need good strong fences for their pen. They love to climb.  We would tether them to long dog chains so they could munch on the blackberry's. But they will strip the bark off and kill any tree or shrub they get access to. 

When we moved to a much smaller place it became a less satisfactory situation. Way more hay needed. I gave them an old Datsun pick up. They loved to sit on it and digest their feed. I trimmed the hooves myself. Always a bit of a chore.  I would wait until night time when they were settled down in their shed . Corner one , the rest would run outside . Wife or son would close the door after the third one would run by. Roll them on their back and try to avoid the hooves you don't have a hold of. Got smacked a few times but generally just a bit of a bruise.

One by one old age got them and even my wife really did not see any need to replace them.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I fix all of AJ's cars......yet he won't let me help him with the goats. I grew up in a town that's 70 percent Portuguese .......all a goat needs is butter, garlic, and a nice spit. Good eating!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

1.  I have to muck the shed twice a day and feed them at the same time - 20 minutes each.

2.  Once a month I have to go get hay and bedding.   150 bucks,  about 2 hours end to end by the time I have it all in the loft.

3.  Both goats ended up at Tufts animal hospital when they were young.   I won't tell you what that cost because you will all assume I'm a bigger idiot than you already do.

4.  Vet comes twice a year to shave heir hoofs and check on them.   150 a visit.

On the other hand, they are smart, and they become part of the family and the fabric of life like any pet. 

#1 Proves you're not too smart.....

#2 Proves even more you're not too smart. 

#3 It's not possible for me to think you're a bigger idiot than I already do..........😇

#4 There is such a thing as a hand held belt sander.

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

So what was the punishment?

Seems the limits for prosecuting the crime are past by now so no one should be going to jail. 

Randy, I don’t remember us kids getting in any trouble at all other than seeing my dad was disgusted with us. I do think he let my mom know that letting five young kids play outside for about nine hours without checking to see what they were doing wasn’t his idea of quality parenting while he was gone to work.   Dad was a good guy, after the initial shock and horror, it was one of his favorite stories to tell. 

• Like 1