Garage & Car Barn Thread

alsancle

42 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Under Dad job description should be “ making sure your kids don’t make horrible financial decisions“

my dad gently steered me away from the edge of a cliff a few times. When I got older and turned into a “semi version of him”, we would laugh about it.

My dad was brilliant with his advice on houses.  Looking back he batted 1000.   Cars on the other hand...  Why buy a 356 Speedster when you can have this awesome Packard touring car?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, John Bloom said:

when you get outside of more affluent urban areas, you can find some houses that were built when these little towns we’re thriving and local business people had money to build a custom dream home around the turn of the century.

I grew up in a small blue collar farming and factory town in Indiana. We have a place on a lake down in that area that we spend time at, mainly in the summer, and hope to spend at least four months in the summer there when we we retire.

The next town over is Delphi Indiana. Population about 7,000.  About five years ago this home came on the market and I was smitten. 1 foot thick interior walls with pocket doors to compartmentalize formal rooms and parlors, the entire attic was open with all the dormers configuring such an interesting and irregular ceiling. Grounds just begging to be revitalized, and the carriage house that was Two stories with a footprint that appeared to be at least 1600 ft.² to me.

it’s sold for 144,000. I’m still kind of sick about it, it would’ve consumed me. You could have another half million million in it  before you even blinked, but oh was the home worthy of it.  As I get older, I learn more and more how sometimes it is a blessing to not get the things you want.  I don’t have the finances to buy a house like this and tell contractors to get busy and make it perfect.....and I don’t have the time to do it myself.  

image.jpeg.3378d68badbd5e6ae33f154fc91059cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.727e4648beda9b830611f20eeff26355.jpeg

image.jpeg.38ff59e00cf11ef62843954f6cd53920.jpeg

Well what do you know, John Bloom comes from my neck of the woods. 

I looked at that house long and hard.  Buying it would be easy, owning it was far outside of my financial capabilities. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gossp said:

Well what do you know, John Bloom comes from my neck of the woods. 

I looked at that house long and hard.  Buying it would be easy, owning it was far outside of my financial capabilities. 

Many times the same is true for collector cars.

• Like 5