Forum Upgrade

Thank you Peter Gariepy for the upgrade to the Forum.  Certainly a thankless job however you always come through with great results to keep it updated.

Peter J. ;)

• Like 3

Agreed. Nice work! I know it's frustrating for a lot of folks to have to change a bit and the swap process causes a lot of bumps in the road, but the end result always makes everyone happy again--they just have to have the patience to see it through. Thanks for putting up with the nonsense, doing all the long hours, and getting no credit for it. Many of us DO notice and appreciate it.

• Like 1

Guest AlCapone

Thank you for all the hard work and your sincere dedication to the advantage of so many others.

regards, Wayne 

Thank you Peter. It's a great job that you do. I really do like the new format.  I hope you realized my "P" for Pontiac beef was tongue in cheek.  

16 minutes ago, GARY F said:

great job. when i click on a picture it still comes up half and i have to hit the refresh icon.  but it is still slow. maybe i have to wait a coupl more days.

im not having a problem on my end. is it particular photo?

5 hours ago, GARY F said:

great job. when i click on a picture it still comes up half and i have to hit the refresh icon.  but it is still slow.

It would be helpful to know where your internet speed is at.

Some photos here can be quite large and may time out on slow connections.

We're lucky to have 15 meg fiber here (a feeder line runs under my driveway....... :P)

Peter,

Thanks again for the hard work and putting up with the abuse.  I do have a question about the new mobile version of the forum, however.  I access the site both with my computer and phone.  No problems whatsoever with the web-based version.  The first few times I used the mobile version, I wasn't able to find the link to log in, so I was only able to view as a guest.  Once I was in a thread, however, there was a log-in option at the very bottom of the page.  Of course, once I logged in, I remain logged in, so problem solved, but did  I miss the log-in screen on the home page somewhere?  Again, this is the mobile version.  Thanks.

Joe,

I just tried the mobile version. Near the top right corner of the forum webpage, on my android device, there is an button that looks like three short horizontal lines. Touch that button and it bring up several options, including sign in. 

We're real lucky to have a person who knows more about Computers the the users do.  Thanks Peter !

We've been here before and will return when some other trouble makers mess it up the next time.

I wish we would train more Americans to be Computer Technicians, or develop software that could spot

& fix the problems better.  Keep up the good work Peter.

There is software that can HELP......Spam-O-Matic is one good one but I don't believe it's compatible with this forum software.

At any rate there are many more but there are far more spammers than software writers to keep up with them......... :angry:

Spammers are the scourges of cyber space.......and getting better at it every minute.

You ain't see NUTTIN' until you've seen a ransom ware attack........ :wacko: .......which in most cases leads to a complete computer reformat.

On 3/24/2016 at 8:39 AM, MCHinson said:

Joe,

I just tried the mobile version. Near the top right corner of the forum webpage, on my android device, there is an button that looks like three short horizontal lines. Touch that button and it bring up several options, including sign in. 

I assumed that was the menu.  Unfortunately, that function doesn't work on my phone.  I'm sure my phone is the problem, as it's an ancient Droid 2 running Android 2.3.4 (the newest version it will run due to memory constraints).  In phone-years, it's older than any of my cars! :o 

Apparently the new forum software isn't backward compatible that far back.  Other functions on the forum don't work either in that version - like I can't respond to a post - the buttons don't show up.  This isn't the first time I've had this problem with a newer app on this phone, so I suspect it may be time to get a newer phone.  Oh well...

Yes, thank you, Peter ... the new/upgrade forum looks wonderful.  Getting the hang of it ... & it is rather user friendly, from my experience, anyway.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 79 CC to 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis?!

"If you fall, I will catch you" __ Cindy Lauper __ 'Time After Time'

Peter G, I do need to say "Thank you!" for what you do here. On another hobby site I spend way too much time on, I often post a "thank you" to our webmaster there. I know he has a tough job tightrope walking over us cranky curmudgeons. I know you get to deal with that stuff too. 

Bad enough to deal with us, you get to deal with the spammers, hackers, and computer mentality.  (No offense intended toward you personally).

It is not technology I dislike.  I worked for the better part of three decades in cutting edge technology.  For a long time, I enjoyed it.  Then directions changed.  As technologies were emerging, our goal was to make things work, make things compatible, and do incredible things. Then the gamers and marketing took over.  Promises were being made based upon having been able to do something once in a perfect lab setting. It all became about what you could SELL (whether it worked or not).  And "engineers" became more interested in scoring points by being able to do something you cannot than they did about making anything actually work.

To preserve what little sanity I had left, I got out of that business about ten years ago.

Anyway. Thank you.

W2

How does one get rid of a post that he/she does not intend to send?  I started to reply to a thread, quoted the wrong person and couldn't delete the quote from my "Submit Reply" box.  Under the old system, there was a way to delete a post before sending it; however, I must be missing that option somehow.

The new website seems to be very user friendly, especially when it comes to attaching photos.  Thanks for the good job, Peter.

Cheers,

Grog

Amen to Bernie's unnumbered post above (if it were numbered, I wouldn't have to try to distinguish it by using his name).

Further (hope this can be addressed), I wish we could return to numbering successive pages on the "unread" list AND when back-arrowing from the 3rd or 4th or 10th unread screen to actually return to the last additional page just viewed rather than to the first page of unread.  Some of us check "Unread" 3 or 4 times a day (or less) and tend of look at threads in descending order of personal interest.  For example, if I'm catching up and find a thread of interest on the 4th Unread screen, I'd like to be able to go back to the 4th screen rather than the 1st.

7 hours ago, Grimy said:

Amen to Bernie's unnumbered post above (if it were numbered, I wouldn't have to try to distinguish it by using his name).

Further (hope this can be addressed), I wish we could return to numbering successive pages on the "unread" list AND when back-arrowing from the 3rd or 4th or 10th unread screen to actually return to the last additional page just viewed rather than to the first page of unread.  Some of us check "Unread" 3 or 4 times a day (or less) and tend of look at threads in descending order of personal interest.  For example, if I'm catching up and find a thread of interest on the 4th Unread screen, I'd like to be able to go back to the 4th screen rather than the 1st.

Grimmy,  Have you tried opening a thread with "right-click" + open?  This will open the desired thread in either a new window or new tab.  When you are done reading the thread just close this new tab or window and your previous webpage will still be preserved as you left it. - Bob