Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

On 1/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, Centurion said:

I like both, and have a hard time picking a favorite wheel trim.  For now, I have the option of switching from time-to-time!

I gotta say I like the wheel covers, they are different and not seen very often.   Of course both options look fantastic on that car, so you can’t lose! 

Those 65 center caps are hard to find I hear!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Recently, our weather decided to turn Spring like so I went ahead and put the top down on my 1937 Model 80C. Today, our local AACA Chapter had our Annual BBQ Tour. While the temperatures will be back in the 70's in a few days, Last night it dropped below freezing and the weather for today's tour was going to be Sunny but cold. Being less than 40 degrees for the duration of the tour, I was not going to take the convertible. I pulled the 1937 Model 61 out of the garage and put over 125 miles on it, enjoyed some great BBQ and fun times with friends and another group of car enthusiasts who joined us on the tour. The car performed flawlessly.  

DSC_1703.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the weekend but this is western New York where we measure snowfall in feet. Today was the first day the '60 Electra has been out since December.

IMG_0155(1).JPG.20798cad6fef61a8556be633d0fa42ee.JPG

Started right up with no sleepy Dynaflow, drove it about 6 miles.

Good day, Valentine's Day, 41st Wedding Anniversary, pizza for lunch, steak for dinner, and a ride in an old Buick. And the usual Tuesday morning coffee with a friend in the garage.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It was a warm Spring like day here today, Feb 15th, and I needed something to brighten my outlook, so I got Annie out for a ride.  Ran it about 30 miles and it sure was enjoyable. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

20230215_154428.jpg

I usually try to reset my trip odometer each fill up so I can monitor the amount of gas in the tank, but I must have forgot to do it the last time. The last time was over two months ago so when I got it going today, and noticed the fuel gauge pegged at full with close to 60 miles on the tank I figured my gauge must have finally quit. Imagine my surprise when I could only get 2 gallons in it before it burped and overflowed the filler neck. I hate when it does that... 

Oh well, looking forward to Spring and now it may get cold and snow next week.  Sheesh!

• Like 11

Aired up the tires from 40# cold to 50# Thursday AM in preparation for a potential buyer from CA to check out my 24 PU.  I picked him up at the airport at 11:30, bought lunch and drove to the Buick Barn.  He told me he owns a Packard and a 28 Buick that is a driver he is still restoring, so I thought he knew how to drive an old car.  I started up the PU, eased it out the door and took him for a half mile ride through all three gears before letting him drive it.  He immediately dropped the clutch and stalled it.  He had trouble finding the throttle pedal & clutch while driving.  It reminded me of teaching a teenager to drive a clutch for the first time.  When we returned to the Buick Barn, we found the RR tire was flat because he had spun the tire and sheared the valve stem when he dropped the clutch.

I am really not sure I want to sell my PU to this guy...  

I fixed the tire; and it is still for sale....

24 PU w Canoe.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

as I was getting ready for a ride today after a 3 week slumber I noticed a huge puddle of trans fluid under the old girl and a dipstick reading way over full.  This after the latest cold snap of 20 degree's.  This happened once before after a 300 mile trailering and after start up I had to add fluid.  Guessing there is a check valve some place that holds the fluid in the trans that is stuck thanks to the cold and let it drain back.   Will dig into more Sunday and see if the same thing happens as prior regarding adding fluid. Expecting 77 on Monday

On 2/17/2023 at 1:52 PM, Mark Shaw said:

He told me he owns a Packard and a 28 Buick that is a driver he is still restoring,

Twenty two years ago my '64 Riviera was beginning to show signs that my 1980 lacquer paint job needed attention. That is when I bought my '60 Electra. The Electra became my primary old car driver and the paint as well as many other little Riviera items got re-prioritized. It started right up this morning, the first start since September. I an moving things around and relocating my Kwik Lift to work on yet another car I bought.

Imagine, if you will.

Another Rod Serling - Imgflip

A person in a place where focus was on the currently owned car. That would be like imaging I had one of those $60,000 or $70,000 first Gen Rivieras.

OCD- Ottomotive Compulsive Disorder.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, parkertom said:

Also stopped by a local shop to check progress on another of my cars- a 1966 Dodge Coronet.

I love the '50s, '60s and '70s MoPars (except for the hideous 1962 models). I hope you'll have your Coronet back in time for Summer.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, parkertom said:

In the 70s here today so I met up with some friends for lunch. Also stopped by a local shop to check progress on another of my cars- a 1966 Dodge Coronet. He had it out for a drive on this beautiful day to check a few things out.

0829CE65-F4A0-42CF-8E9A-5D511EFC85C8.jpeg

8ECAD67C-7B61-405C-9A49-755BE6038003.jpeg

nice looking Coronet

love the roofline its so 60's

what engine is in it

• Like 1

Not sure it's the weekend (since I am now blissfully unaware of what day it is), but I took advantage of a crystal-clear day between the rainstorms to join the tourists up at the top of Twin Peaks.

TP8.jpg.93245b984409297e77013f4dcab91922.jpg

TP7.jpg.540cd6aae07c42f1bc13fd5254dcd687.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:52 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Aired up the tires from 40# cold to 50# Thursday AM in preparation for a potential buyer from CA to check out my 24 PU.  I picked him up at the airport at 11:30, bought lunch and drove to the Buick Barn.  He told me he owns a Packard and a 28 Buick that is a driver he is still restoring, so I thought he knew how to drive an old car.  I started up the PU, eased it out the door and took him for a half mile ride through all three gears before letting him drive it.  He immediately dropped the clutch and stalled it.  He had trouble finding the throttle pedal & clutch while driving.  It reminded me of teaching a teenager to drive a clutch for the first time.  When we returned to the Buick Barn, we found the RR tire was flat because he had spun the tire and sheared the valve stem when he dropped the clutch.

I am really not sure I want to sell my PU to this guy...

24 PU w Canoe.jpg

Mark,

Do not let him abuse it any more than he already has.

You don't know how much I wish I had room for that very special Buick here in New Orleans.

If that were the case, and if Dale were able, I would even give careful thought to taking a month on the road to fly out and drive it home.

Sadly, there is no room in the garages.

• Thanks 1

Started out as a lousy day here

20230311_112542.jpg

but I comitted to driving the 56 in the Albany NY St Patricks day parade. Although I saw lots of pictures being taken all I got for myself was a few over the hoid shots. 

20230311_141119.jpg

20230311_134838.jpg

20230311_145958(0).jpg

20230311_144321.jpg

still it was fun. Even washing it when I got home was fun. 

20230311_145103.jpg

• Like 13

Well there is still some snow on the ground but the sky is blue, so why not take a ride? My wife and I took Teddy on the ride as well for the first ride if the new year. 

3371D501-E09C-4416-A4A7-1B3278903E34.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Spring is in the air.  Took both girls out for extensive drives.  Checked dwell on each. Adjusted dwell on the 60.  Oiled the ports on each generator. The port on each distributor got a drop.  Repacked the bearings on the 60. A good washing for both and I'm ready to enjoy them this season of hot summer weather. 

• Like 6

Hi All,

Took the '30 Buick out for its first Club run last week which was only a 10 mile trip and followed it up with a big test run to the Blue Mountains which is an area west of Sydney and part of the Great Dividing Range which as the name describes forms a geological range that runs north south down almost the whole east coast of Australia. The area is very popular for weekend drives and overnight stays given its much cooler climate. My wife and I are regular visitors and attend 1920s and 1930s events at a number historic hotels there. The second photo is of my friends Colin and his wife Dawn. Colin has been the heavy-lifter in the restoration of the '30 and I have learnt much from him. The photo was taken at the historic Hydro-Majestic Hotel in a village called Medlow Bath. It sits on an escarpment overlooking the Megalong Valley with the most fantastic views. The trip was both a reliability test for the '30 as it has been off the road since 1958 and it ran exceedingly well for the whole 100 mile round trip and to take my friends for a high-tea at the hotel as thank you for their hospitality and help over the 20 months restoring the Buick.  My next post is likely going to be a yearly event in western New South Wales in early May, the pre-1931 Autumn Run. This event will see approximately 120 cars from 1908 to 1930 on back country roads for four days. The last photo is a reminder of what the Buick looked like when I bought it in June 2021. Cheers Paul

Buickfirstrun.jpg

Buickhydromajestic.jpg

hydro.jpg

BuickJune2021.jpg

• Like 9

In 2021 I sold my 78 Century wagon 

It needed alot of work and I wasn't getting to it at all, it went to a good G body owner who is local and wanted it. Then last year I parted with my B60 225 Riv, again it needed work and as much as I tried I still couldn't seem to make any headway. That was bought by Smartin who is doing some great work on it and I am glad it is being cared for. So in February the chance to buy the car you see below came up from a friend so I jumped on it.

It is a repaint, new interior and top all done about 7 years ago with 84k miles. Much less work to do and I am back in a 225. I had to take it to work to get it inspected.

There is nothing like driving the big cars

20230403_080931.jpg

20230403_080949.jpg

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Yesterday on Good Friday got Beulah out from her storage garage nap from February 2nd. All is well and she started imediately. I checked the fuel level after I pulled her out into the sun and drover her the half mile to our home garage. When I shut her down on Feb,2nd it showed 6 3/4 gallons on the gagestick I made. At home the gagestick showed 5 1/2 gallons. So about a gallon of evaporation in 2 months.

One thing to attend to before I drove her several miles to our Knights of Columbus so I could fry fish, was the brake light was out. I had replaced the single contact taillight socket with a double and added a brake light. Using an 1158 bulb. It was just the bulb. But I also noticed under the vacuum tank shut off valve there was wrinkled paint on the sill from fuel dripping from the the valve packing. Cleaned all and repacked the valve stem including new fuel line sections. One can see the red-oxide primer spot and on the left outside edge of the sill where there is more wrinkling. I just love modern fuels.....

DSC00904.JPG.e1c1889b7555fbc1480c3aae578a5cd2.JPG

All is well again and we went to have our Easter basket blessed.

DSC00420.JPG.0395b886370821061c1f36fc00cce772.JPG

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Yesterday on Good Friday got Beulah out from her storage garage nap from February 2nd. All is well and she started imediately. I checked the fuel level after I pulled her out into the sun and drover her the half mile to our home garage. When I shut her down on Feb,2nd it showed 6 3/4 gallons on the gagestick I made. At home the gagestick showed 5 1/2 gallons. So about a gallon of evaporation in 2 months.

One thing to attend to before I drove her several miles to our Knights of Columbus so I could fry fish, was the brake light was out. I had replaced the single contact taillight socket with a double and added a brake light. Using an 1158 bulb. It was just the bulb. But I also noticed under the vacuum tank shut off valve there was wrinkled paint on the sill from fuel dripping from the the valve packing. Cleaned all and repacked the valve stem including new fuel line sections. One can see the red-oxide primer spot and on the left outside edge of the sill where there is more wrinkling. I just love modern fuels.....

DSC00904.JPG.e1c1889b7555fbc1480c3aae578a5cd2.JPG

All is well again and we went to have our Easter basket blessed.

DSC00420.JPG.0395b886370821061c1f36fc00cce772.JPG

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL

I have an all original 53 Plymouth with the low gas filler above the rear bumper.  You can't help but drip fuel when filling. Modern fuel has taken off a dollar bill size down to red primer swatch under it of the original paint as well.

On Easter Sunday the town of Garden City on Long Island has their annual antique car Easter Parade, this one was their 68th. It has become an unofficial beginning to the car show season and normally draws over 200 cars. I took the Reatta and my daughter (she is the middle in the pic) drove the Firebird with her boyfriend and his sister. A great day, Then home for great food from my wife with family! Some pics of other Buicks and interesting cars and I apologize in advance for our Long Island attitude lol.

20230409_120218.jpg

20230409_095656.jpg

20230409_122633.jpg

20230409_123501.jpg

20230409_123615.jpg

20230409_123622.jpg

20230409_125358.jpg

20230409_124907.jpg

20230409_124929.jpg

26355.jpeg

26357.jpeg

Edited by MRJBUICK (see edit history)
  • Like 9

The Long Island Chapter! Over the weekend I was telling a story about a member with a 1962 Electra 6 window.

I had a back glass from when I cut the roof off mine and he needed one. Drove up here just west of Rochester to pick it up. He dropped into Manhattan and picked up a bag of bagels from a famous bakery and I seem to remember they were still warm when he got here. All it cost was the gas and bagels. That was in the early 1990s. I wonder if he and the car are still around.

• Like 2

I had the Electra out for the first time in a few months. I had snuck it out during the winter on a dry day but now with the weather a bit better I took it out for a nice drive on Monday. I don't have the outside water on yet as the nights are still below freezing from time to time, so to the car wash I went!

Then I went for a drive to dry it off, etc. All together about 25 miles.

ElectraNixonApr.jpg.c14734e6ece9946a96f0149297ddec73.jpg

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 9

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The Long Island Chapter! Over the weekend I was telling a story about a member with a 1962 Electra 6 window.

I had a back glass from when I cut the roof off mine and he needed one. Drove up here just west of Rochester to pick it up. He dropped into Manhattan and picked up a bag of bagels from a famous bakery and I seem to remember they were still warm when he got here. All it cost was the gas and bagels. That was in the early 1990s. I wonder if he and the car are still around.

If that car was silver he was a chapter member and it is no longer on the island. that owner moved to Florida