Too young to get respect at a car show?

Guest Oldschoolgent

Guest Oldschoolgent

I am writing this to express my dissatisfaction with individuals in our field--the classic car field. This past Sunday I attended a show, the 10,000 Lakes Concours, in Excelsior, Minnesota. It was a great show, and at a nice venue. I did not show a car; I merely came to appreciate the fine automobiles that were present. Being 23, I was among the few younger people in the crowd. I couldn't help but notice that I was being given the cold shoulder time after time by gentleman as I approached them about their cars. My specialty and area of interest happens to be pre-war Packard and Lincoln, so, of course, immediately gravitated to that area of the show. Usually at a show, I can strike up a conversation quite easily, but it was like pulling teeth, and I felt bothersome to some many owners. In my opinion, I feel it is the duty of ALL elder car owners to pass on their knowledge and passion to the younger generation. Every one of you reading this can agree that you do not want our community to lose members and interest.

I may not post much on the forum, but I assure you I am on here reading on a daily basis. I have a growing collection of books and a photograph archive of 8,000+. If I do say so, I feel I am fairly learned (for my age) when it comes to the details of particular classic era cars. I am always eager to learn more, however. This past show I was taken aback by the attitudes of many owners, and some people in general, who were not willing to have a short conversation with me, but only with people of their own seniority.

I still enjoyed the show, as I got to see a 1934 Packard Twelve convertible sedan by Dietrich, and many other spectacular cars. I just found it interesting that many people in our field are turning away passionate individuals, for one reason or another.

-Alex

Alex,

I am sorry that you felt that you got the cold shoulder from some of the more senior folks at the show. I have also felt that way sometimes when I look over classic origionals at the shows. Many of the displayers feel that I should be over at the hot rod section as I am a little on the scruffy side and 49 years old and often carrying a portable two way radio listening to the police and fire services (I am a radio shop owner and keep an ear on my customers so I can be a step ahead if a problem pops up). Now, when they find out that the cars I own are both classic and 100% stock they often warm up a lot and welcome me into the family. Anyway, what I am saying is to keep the faith and don't look down on all older colectors because of an unfortunate day, most are really nice people and a wealth of information to us newer guys. Collect yourself a Packard phaeton and lets go for a cruse, I'll meet you in North Dakota and we can go from there :D.

Robin

Oldschoolgent,

I got into this hobby when I was in my early 30s. In my personal experience, I have never run into that sort of thing at an AACA event. Like any organization, AACA is not perfect, but in general you will find a great group of people at AACA Events. Over almost 20 years, I have met many great older people in AACA. Please find an AACA event and give the club a try. I think you will find a welcoming group of people.

My son is about your age. He recently became an AACA Judge and thoroughly enjoyed the judging experience at his first meet. Take care.

Alex.....I feel your pain. When I went to a WPC Club (Walter P. Chrysler) meeting once when I was about 18, I was largely ignored. That is, until I started talking to the president of the group about his 1930 Plymouth roadster. We were at the rear of the car and I told him that there was something strange about his car. I told him that it looked like he had a 1930 rear fender on one side and a 1931 rear fender on the other side. His jaw dropped and he said, "How did you know that? Only my wife & I and my body man know that." I told him that one fender was about 3/4" longer than the other. He said that I was absolutely correct. I then ended up being the president of the club for a few years. My point here is: Ease into the show thing and let the folks know little things that you know and are interested in. They will eventually warm up to you and welcome you with open arms.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Alex:

While there's no excuse for your getting the cold shoulder because of your age, perhaps it's the attitude of the more affluent collectors who might be fortunate enough to own an expensive classic Packard or Lincoln. "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?" If you don't get my drift, just watch the following enjoyable little video of two Rolls Royce owners battling over the mustard.

Grey Poupon "The Lost Footage" - YouTube

While I can't guarantee it, I think you'd be more "welcomed" in a crowd of Model A Ford owners (yes, they are merely the common man's car but it seems like their owners are a little more down to earth and a lot friendlier). In fact, the "Texas Model A Ford Tour" was founded for Model A Ford owners because they were shunned and "uninvited" to attend the original Texas Tour in the early 1960's because they were looked down upon as just being an inexpensive used car - it seems they didn't want the common old Model A on the display field with their high dollar classics. This weekend our club is hosting the 50th Annual Model A Ford Texas Tour and at tonight's welcome party there were many young people present. It has become a generational thing where a young kid grows up riding in a Model A with his Dad and then gets old enough to buy his own car. He then drives his Model A to the Texas Tour following behind his Dad's Model A with his 2 year old riding in the Model A with him. I know of several families who are three and four generations deep attending Texas Tours, all riding in their own Model A's.

Yes, unfortunately old cars seem to be mostly owned by old guys. The first time I attended a Dallas Model A Ford Club meeting in 1972 I was 27 years old and when I walked into the room I looked around and muttered to myself, "My gosh - a nursing home!" :P Seemed like almost everyone in the room was in their 60's or 70's and I was just a kid. Now, 41 years later, I'm getting ready to turn 69 and I go out of my way to try and engage younger people to get interested in our hobby. As our club's membership chairman, it's sometimes difficult to recruit younger people to join when their generation cares more about Mustangs, Camaros and muscle cars in general. Our club makes a special effort to offer teenagers rides in our cars to try and ignite their interest in them; we do special car shows at high schools, junior high schools, elementary schools, etc. and have provided high school auto shop teachers with engines as class projects. We all need to do our part to keep the "old car hobby" alive by recruiting the next generation of collectors.

Just my two cents. I'll buttoning up my flack jacket now for the incoming rounds. :)

Fred

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Alex,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the car show. The reception you described certainly does not bring new people into the hobby. As Mr. Hinson cites above, I wish you'd give the AACA a try.

The next AACA meet in your neck-of-the-woods is the Annual Grand National Meet in Moline, IL on June 29. The old pickup I'll be bringing is certainly not in the Lincoln or Packard class, but I'd sure be proud to talk to you about it. I'm also betting that the Lincoln and Packard owners would enjoy your conversation also.

Bill

Alex, I find the people on these forums much warmer and helpful than those at most of the shows. I belong to a national club of one of the more "Prestigious" British marques. It is a very unwelcoming group to new members and now that the older crowd is dying out I do not see many new faces. I also see this company's cars not holding their value as they age, which I think could be due to lack of interest from younger people like you. I am sorry you experienced this kind of treatment. It's sad to say but there are many out there who are not really car enthusiasts, it's just a spitting contest for them and they like to think of themselves as enthusiasts. You just have to weed through those kind of people; you must because we need more like you or we and our cars will not have much of a future to look forward to. Please keep looking for the rest of us.

Alex, folks like you described unfortunately built and then killed our AACA Region in the Charleston, W. Va. area. I called it the "Musk Ox Circle". The original founders of the club pretty much stood in a circle and if you weren't bold enough to break into that circle, then no one would talk to the new people.

Bill and I had a couple of "ins". The family that lived directly behind us were members and they welcomed us in since we were neighbors. Also, one member and his wife had grown up with my father in a small rural town here in W. Va. Then the others started talking to us. But we still heard the jokes because most of them had Model T Fords or Model A Fords and we dared to have a 1958 Chevy Biscayne 2-door as our first antique car.

Be bold. Step up and keep talking to the folks with the vehicles that interest you. :o

Alex, although I have been an admitted automobile fanatic since I was 3 or 4 years old I never knew what the AACA or the CCCA or any other car clubs were and there were certainly no car shows in my area. About the time I was closing in on 40 I started finding shows listed in some of the publications I subscribed to and started searching them out. The first thing I did was buy a better 35mm camera and taking it and a notebook to the shows I'd go to. I never had to look for someone to talk to; they'd approach me to tell me something about their car. I am forever indebted to the much older gentleman that invited me to his house to take photos of his cars and then let me spend the afternoon driving his 1915 Model T Ford touring car and taking my children for rides in it. His wife told me early on, "John, it's not the rich people you have to be concerned about; it's the people that want you to believe they are rich." I have been quite fortunate making friends at car shows. One gentleman twice my age invited me to come over to his business. He had a large garage on the back of his property with probably 50 cars in it. He unlocked the doors, told me to go on in, where to find the light switch, and stay and look as long as I wanted to. You never forget people like that. Now I'm in that age bracket but I thoroughly enjoy taking a young person to a car show and showing them around.

I have met a few people at shows that were jerks and some that knew almost nothing about cars but it only takes a few words to size up the situation and move on. For the most part, people are proud of their cars and their children and like to talk about both. For every bad egg you meet, there always seems to be at least 200 great people of all ages and both sexes. One example I remember was the guy that told me General Motors didn't own Pontiac yet when his car (a 1931 Pontiac) was built. Another one told me Billy Durant put the six cylinder engines in 1929 Chevrolets. I hope your next show experience will be much more pleasant than the last one was. Perhaps you can find an older friend that will be your show buddy and tutor you along. Best wishes.

Alex, folks like you described unfortunately built and then killed our AACA Region in the Charleston, W. Va. area. I called it the "Musk Ox Circle". The original founders of the club pretty much stood in a circle and if you weren't bold enough to break into that circle, then no one would talk to the new people.

Bill and I had a couple of "ins". The family that lived directly behind us were members and they welcomed us in since we were neighbors. Also, one member and his wife had grown up with my father in a small rural town here in W. Va. Then the others started talking to us. But we still heard the jokes because most of them had Model T Fords or Model A Fords and we dared to have a 1958 Chevy Biscayne 2-door as our first antique car.

Be bold. Step up and keep talking to the folks with the vehicles that interest you. :o

Susan, the first AACA chapter I learned of was a lot like you described Charleston. It had some very nice people in it but it had a couple of people that ran everything and I really don't think they wanted any more members. Now they are all gone and the club is also gone and 30 yeats ago it was putting on a nice show with over 100 cars each year. Then you could see friction develope and it all came to an end.

. In my opinion, I feel it is the duty of ALL elder car owners to pass on their knowledge and passion to the younger generation.

Clearly, not everyone feels this way. I would never show a car, myself, it's for me to enjoy and that's good enough, so I wouldn't want to talk about it either. With all the silly stuff that can go on at some shows, if I was showing it, my mind might be 100 miles away worried about getting it judged and making sure no one scratches it or anything.

Alex, Some years ago I joined the AACA local chapter. Back then you had to be sponsored and I was sponsored by a friend I had. We had monthly meetings and since I was newly married and living in an apartment, had no vintage car at the time. For about a year we tried to start conversations with different people at those monthly meetings and it was always the same result. You don't have a car and we don't know you. What an incredible bunch of snobs. At the renewal time the next year I told my sponsor I was NOT rejoining our chapter much less interested in the AACA period. I told him why and he told me that had he not been in the old car supply business ,he wouldn't renew himself. Many years have passed since then I have been asked to join and flat out refused. Apparently there are those who are interested in antique cars and there are those who like the snob appeal (i guess) of having a classic car. I now have several cars of a particular brand and am frequently asked questions about these cars- information I am happy to share. I enjoy this forum and enjoy hearing about the cars and problem remedies but as far as the AACA is concerned I steer clear. P.S. I am a loooooong way from being 23.

Hudzilla,

I really suggest you should try an AACA National Event. The environment that you described does not sound like most of the AACA Regions or Chapters that I know about. You should give AACA a try from a different perspective. I have good friends that I have met through AACA from Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, Florida, Louisiana, Ohio, and a few other states and even a few other countries. I met all of these people through AACA. Yes, I have met a few jerks as well, but you will find that small percentage in any organization or group of people.

I would also like to point out that there is an art to starting a conversation with "old car folk". You have to not be pushy. You have to appear to know something about cars, but not too much even if you do know everything. Sometimes getting people to talk about their cars is a lot easier then telling people what you know about their cars. A simple starter like "wow, where were you ever able to find something like this?" opens them up to talk about their favorite thing, their car, which is why most of them are at the car show in the first place.

I certainly don't tthink being a member of any particular club makes you a better of worse person. I belong to all the major car clubs and have for over 50 years and have run into many different people, most are very nice and helpful. I have a Grandson who at 22 years old is a Mopar expert, especially the 1970 Challenger, owners don't like it when he points out what is wrong with their Challenger. He has learned not to give advice unless asked. And some may be just having a bad day. Most young people are treated very well in the events I have been in over the past years, even offering rides to people young and old that are interested in their vehicle.

Don't judge all of us because of one bad experience. RHL

Alex, first apologies, I know we discussed my sending some excess reading material your way, and I STILL have your PM in my inbox, I really need to get to that cleaning project, but life keeps getting in the way...

That said, I wanted to share a hint simillar to Karguy's. If you are interested in Full Classics, as I know you are, I am sure by now you know much more than the average joe on these particular cars. Approach the owner with a few tidbits about their marque or better yet, specific car. I have done this with great success before, sometimes, the chore is moving on without offending the now very chatty owner.

That is not a guarantee, people with attitude problems exist everywhere, but for the person who may be a little more introverted it has worked well for me over the years.

Kind of hot for an MG "T" series right now, and it is interesting, a couple folks I have approached at shows have been great, but one guy at a recent show was as you describe above despite my trusty approach. Makes me chuckle to myself having had more valuable cars, and in a position to buy one every bit as equal to his, my point being you never know who you are talking to. I guess that "snob appeal" is prevelant everywhere to some degree, and maybe that is how he gets enjoyment from the hobby. Who is missing out here? Hmmm...

PS - much more important than shows, if you want to interact with old car people join your local AACA region!!! I guarantee some, if not most or all local members will welcome you. It is an entree into the worlds/homes etc. of hobbyists and collectors you wont get to nearly as quickly "on the outside".

Glad to hear you on the forum, and glad the interest is still there.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest Oldschoolgent
Alex,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the car show. The reception you described certainly does not bring new people into the hobby. As Mr. Hinson cites above, I wish you'd give the AACA a try.

The next AACA meet in your neck-of-the-woods is the Annual Grand National Meet in Moline, IL on June 29. The old pickup I'll be bringing is certainly not in the Lincoln or Packard class, but I'd sure be proud to talk to you about it. I'm also betting that the Lincoln and Packard owners would enjoy your conversation also.

Bill

I'm new to the area, so thank you for sharing the June 29th date. I will definitely try to make it! Due to my prior location, I have not made it to an official AACA event, yet. I plan on changing that soon. Also, as a general statement, I enjoy hearing about really all cars, including your pickup.

Edit: I wish I could make the June 29th show, as it really isn't too far from me; but with that landing on quarter end, I will be exceedingly busy with work through that entire weekend and following week.

Edited by Oldschoolgent (see edit history)

Guest Oldschoolgent
Alex, first apologies, I know we discussed my sending some excess reading material your way, and I STILL have your PM in my inbox, I really need to get to that cleaning project, but life keeps getting in the way...

That said, I wanted to share a hint simillar to Karguy's. If you are interested in Full Classics, as I know you are, I am sure by now you know much more than the average joe on these particular cars. Approach the owner with a few tidbits about their marque or better yet, specific car. I have done this with great success before, sometimes, the chore is moving on without offending the now very chatty owner.

That is not a guarantee, people with attitude problems exist everywhere, but for the person who may be a little more introverted it has worked well for me over the years.

Kind of hot for an MG "T" series right now, and it is interesting, a couple folks I have approached at shows have been great, but one guy at a recent show was as you describe above despite my trusty approach. Makes me chuckle to myself having had more valuable cars, and in a position to buy one every bit as equal to his, my point being you never know who you are talking to. I guess that "snob appeal" is prevelant everywhere to some degree, and maybe that is how he gets enjoyment from the hobby. Who is missing out here? Hmmm...

PS - much more important than shows, if you want to interact with old car people join your local AACA region!!! I guarantee some, if not most or all local members will welcome you. It is an entree into the worlds/homes etc. of hobbyists and collectors you wont get to nearly as quickly "on the outside".

Glad to hear you on the forum, and glad the interest is still there.

Thank you to everyone for their responses. I certainly have not lost any of my passion for the hobby, as it is deeply rooted. I will change up my approach to car owners, as was previously suggested. Being young, I know it is very easy to come off as a know it all; so I try to be very tactful, if you will, with my word choice. Also, I will go on to say that the actions of a few bad eggs will not affect my opinion towards the rest of our community. I suppose with my original post, I just wanted to hear what others thought, felt, and experienced when they were new to the hobby. I will continue to attend shows and fuel my love for the topic.

I certainly don't tthink being a member of any particular club makes you a better of worse person. I belong to all the major car clubs and have for over 50 years and have run into many different people, most are very nice and helpful. I have a Grandson who at 22 years old is a Mopar expert, especially the 1970 Challenger, owners don't like it when he points out what is wrong with their Challenger. He has learned not to give advice unless asked. And some may be just having a bad day. Most young people are treated very well in the events I have been in over the past years, even offering rides to people young and old that are interested in their vehicle.

Don't judge all of us because of one bad experience. RHL

With all due respect RHL have you read the other threads on this post? It is NOT an isolated problem. Read about what happened to the Charleston W.Va, AACA chapter. Alex and the younger bunch are being shut out. Meantime the Goodguys club is doing quite well. I'll admit it's comparing chalk and cheese but there is a fundemental difference between how you're welcomed in that makes the real difference. I now own a part time business that sell parts for a distinctive make of car. I have a sizable number of younger folks ,mostly from California, who buy parts from me. They overwhelmingly are NOT in any car club or car organization. They love the vehicles but can live without the politics. THAT is why organizations like the VCCA etc are getting to be like the passenger pigeon. Is the AACA headed this way? if they treat guys like Alex and countless others the way they have then the answer is yes. Remember your first impressions are the lasting ones. Apologies are fine but by then the guy is gone . I know it was for me.

In addition to the Moline, Illinois show coming up, a closer show to you would be the AACA Grand Forks, N.D. show that is being held July 27.

I certainly hope that the person who gave you the cold shoulder was not my brother (I doubt it, but sometimes you never know. If it was, I'm sure it wasn't intentional). He was showing the 1934 Packard 12 V-windshield convertible sedan, along with a 1929 Packard 645 phaeton and a 1905 REO. Since you're in the Minneapolis area, I could arrange that you get a personal look at those great classics, and I suspect he'd even give you a ride. PM me with your contact information and I'll get you in touch with him.

At 43 and having been in the hobby all my life, but active on my own with my own cars for only about 12 years, I'm always the youngest guy in the room at many events, and my experience has been decidedly different. Sure, there are always one or two guys who are just plain anti-social and that has nothing to do with you, but I have been welcomed with open arms at every event I've attended, particularly by the old timers. I think it's a combination of relief that there are young guys like us who aren't into rodding but appreciate the cars in stock form, and two, they're overjoyed that perhaps there's someone younger to take over the reigns of the clubs. As soon as I bought my '29 Cadillac and joined the local CCCA, my phone was ringing with them asking me to join the board of directors. I accepted and it has been a great experience, although I'm the youngest by 20 years. At shows, I'm frequently asked if I'm driving my father's car, and when I tell people that it's mine, they're often surprised. Happy, but surprised.

So don't get discouraged, get involved! Don't let one or two cold shoulders turn you off; the vast, vast majority of people in all the clubs are fine folks who will share their love of cars with anyone who will listen. Having a car of your own certainly helps--I went from interested outsider to member of the fraternity the moment I arrived in the big green Cadillac--but if they see your enthusiasm on a regular basis, you'll be more than welcome.

Just remember, these are social events with friends. Imagine you're at a bar with your buddies watching a baseball game, and some stranger walks up and starts talking about your favorite sports team with you. Sure, you'd probably humor him and chat for a while, but you'd also be standoffish wondering just what that guy's deal is and be anxious to get back to talking with your friends, hoping he'll go away. Don't expect folks to be your friends immediately, but if you become a regular and get to know them, join the club and show up in the roster, and get active at events, you'll find it can be very rewarding.

Welcome and enjoy!

Guest Oldschoolgent
In addition to the Moline, Illinois show coming up, a closer show to you would be the AACA Grand Forks, N.D. show that is being held July 27.

I certainly hope that the person who gave you the cold shoulder was not my brother (I doubt it, but sometimes you never know. If it was, I'm sure it wasn't intentional). He was showing the 1934 Packard 12 V-windshield convertible sedan, along with a 1929 Packard 645 phaeton and a 1905 REO. Since you're in the Minneapolis area, I could arrange that you get a personal look at those great classics, and I suspect he'd even give you a ride. PM me with your contact information and I'll get you in touch with him.

The gentleman who owned the Dietrich Packard Twelve was very nice, and very busy with lots of people at the show. It was others at the show. I'll shoot you a PM.

Funny how there is always talk of the future of "the club" (be it AACA or otherwise) along with getting young people involved in the hobby only for them to have experiences like this when they take the first step: attending an event. AACA or not, this isn't good. And, sadly, as a "young person" myself (30), I can say that my own experience has proven that this is common.

Just something to think about the next time you see "us" at an event.

Give you a funny story - not that it helps your situation, but it fits the same theme...

I was in my mid 20's and going home from work when I came across a brass T Ford on the side of the road broken down - so I stopped to offer help and was tartly refused - the guy did not even want to talk to me, so I left him there. About an hour or so later I get a call from the local garage owner who has a T on his flat-bed and wondered if he could swing by with it to get an opinion before going to the shop. Knowing who it would be I said "Sure, come on over"...

Once the cranky old fart of an owner saw me there with a T in the barn it was a different story. I did help after giving him a pretty good ration of - well you get the picture. I continually try NOT to be that guy - your more likely to see me giving little kids & their parents rides around the field than sitting there in the sun.

Sadly, many prestigious clubs (AACA included) have the same issues of snobbery in certain groups, but in general there are more than a few who will go out of their way to help.

Guest marlin65

Don't feel singled out.I'm in my late 60's and it doesn't matter if it's a local cruise-in or a national sanctioned show I run into these grumpy old men all the time.If you don't want people to talk to you about your car or ask questions then stay home and leave the car in the garage.I always take the time to answer questions,provide correct information (I have a 60 Corvair,the ultimate urban legend car).I also listen tongue in cheek when people get going on Ralph Nader,oil leaks,thrown belts etc etc.If you don't want to attract attention then collect something else!!!! Ed in Florida

Alex, I think you have a genuine interest and expertise, so the "snobbery" issue will work itself out. I recall being perplexed by the occasional C.S. on a show field; even despite our common interest & passion. In hindsight I realize it had more to do with the fact that the person simply did not know me.

The overwhelming opinion seems to be we have all experienced regardless of our age. I have belonged to many different kinds of clubs in my life and without question this experience is almost totally confined to clubs devoted to automobiles. I would say its a "male thing" but other clubs I belong to are mostly male in membership and they are far more welcoming with less internal fighting and more success with preservation of the common interest. The analytical part of me has questioned this kind of behavior in car clubs for years. Man's relationship with the automobile is amazing from creator to owner and all the steps in between.

Back to Alex’s original inquiry. I think there is a reason for this, let me explain my thoughts. Having entered this hobby 40 years ago at age 27, I too experienced most of what has been shared in this thread. My first show with my backyard restoration was an AACA event in St. Pete Beach FL. I had a similar experience as Alex, but I had a car in the show.

<O:p</O:p

Then my life changed when the parking lot filled with great classics and people who were enjoying their car by driving them. They weren’t there to show, they were there to see.

They were the 1973 Glidden Tour, the nicest friendliest bunch of car people I’d ever met and all their cars were beautiful. They spent the night in a hotel close by and hit to the road in the morning to see our part of America<ST1:p</ST1:p on secondary roads. I was impressed.

Soon I found a Model A ford Club who drove and enjoyed their cars more by playing with them than showing them for trophies. I joined them for 40s year membership and made a lifetime of friends that resulted in 100’s and 100’s of tours (Both local and Glidden type) and 11 Great American Races that resulted in friendships all over the America<ST1:p</ST1:p. Funny thing is when I joined I was the youngest guy in the club and I’m still among the youngest.

Our hobby is a hobby that requires some discretionary income and a bit of extovertism.

While my longest surviving friends in the hobby are close to my age, we also have known lots of great people from older generations. I cherish the memories and wisdom shared by all who went before in the hobby.

What’s the common denominator? #1 We all love old cars. #2 We’re led by the extroverts among us. #3 There is more to the hobby than trophies. #4 People make it fun. I can’t imagine staying all day at a show all day and going home without a trophy and being mad at the hobby; that would be missing the fun of the people

Now my favorite old car story: At show our club called Picnic in The Park; we invited all antique car owners to a free non-trophy show in the county historical park among 28 historical buildings. We invited them to wear period clothing of their cars era and to have an old fashion running board picnic. What a twilight-zone experience that was for the participants and the public.

One club member displayed his 35 <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pPlymouth</ST1:p</st1:City> and brought some extra chairs to place behind is car for his comfort and that of the spectators. An elderly gentleman sat and talked and felt welcome enough to return after seeing the other 160 vehicles to talk more car talk. At the end of the day he told the member he had 4 antique cars and needed to sell them in preparation for assisted living. He had a 32 Ford 3 window Coupe, a 36 Dodge, a 60 Studebaker and another one I can’t remember. But he offered all of them to the club member at a bargain because he felt welcome and comfortable that his toys would have a good home. SOLD! Now Frank shows those cars and still talks to everyone, he’s an extrovert.

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Well, in 1961 Mom dropped me off at the local HCCA Fall Meet, I was 10 years old. Spent the day looking at about 200 Pre 1942 automobiles and had a great time, The owners sure made a very positive impression since it set the course for the rest of my life. Bob

I was at that show as a participant, and found it very enjoyable. I must say though, I am an old codger. I had that s/c Auburn and spoke with many folks and find it enjoyable when they have questions. If fact I think I put off a couple of people who were looking at the car when I posed the question 'Would you like to know about Auburns?' They looked at me like I was arrogant. I should have said, do you have any questions?. If I was around the car more than likely, we spoke. One thing you have to remember is everyone has a bad day, and as luck would have it you might run into two of them back to back.

Susan, the first AACA chapter I learned of was a lot like you described Charleston. It had some very nice people in it but it had a couple of people that ran everything and I really don't think they wanted any more members. Now they are all gone and the club is also gone and 30 yeats ago it was putting on a nice show with over 100 cars each year. Then you could see friction develope and it all came to an end.

We were blessed that there really wasn't friction in our club. We just had members that wanted things to stay the way they were, which that just never happens. I honestly had new members call me and thank me for Bill and I talking to them but that no one else would, so they wouldn't be back. At one time it was a great Region and we held some wonderful car shows during The Regatta which you know about. You probably came to some of them. Then the street rod clan moved in on our show and blasted us out with their loud music and were rude to us when we asked them to lower the volume. We changed venues to get away from them. And then the members that had done most of the work for years got older and wanted the younger members to take over. Only there were no younger members other than Bill and I and a couple of other people that then moved away and started their own Region.

And that my friends is how you kill a Chapter or a Region. :(

Thank you to everyone for their responses. I certainly have not lost any of my passion for the hobby, as it is deeply rooted. I will change up my approach to car owners, as was previously suggested. Being young, I know it is very easy to come off as a know it all; so I try to be very tactful, if you will, with my word choice. Also, I will go on to say that the actions of a few bad eggs will not affect my opinion towards the rest of our community. I suppose with my original post, I just wanted to hear what others thought, felt, and experienced when they were new to the hobby. I will continue to attend shows and fuel my love for the topic.

Another way to be a part of the hobby is to get into judging. :) You do not have to own an antique vehicle to become a judge. You do have to be a current member of the AACA National club. You do not have to be a member of a Region or a Chapter. I went to my first Judging School on Sept. 7th, 1990. Served on the Apprentice Team on Sept. 8, 1990 and have been judging ever since. I am a Certified Team Captain with 102 credits as of the Carlisle, Pa. show last Saturday, June 1st. My husband got into judging before I did, he is also a Certified Team Captain, and I think he has 114 credits now. This is a great side of the hobby. Yeah, when it is 94 degrees and humid (like it was at Carlisle :cool:) or raining and cold (like it has been at Hershey :eek: from time to time) you will question your own sanity. :rolleyes: But not once have Bill or I said, "I had a bad time, I wish I hadn't done this". We have judged some amazing vehicles and met some great people. :)

You can read the 2013 Judging Guidelines right here on the web-site in the comfort of your own home to get an idea about how we do the judging.

http://www.aaca.org/images/meet_brochures/2013_Judging_Guidelines.pdf

Edited by Shop Rat
Add the link to the Judging Guidelines (see edit history)

Obviously, the problem goes beyond age here. I'm 36, and have had at least one antique car since I could drive. I've only felt out of place once at any car event. Like many people my age and younger of today, I'm just not a joiner. I don't know why this is, but I think service organizations and car clubs are eventually going to go away, which is a shame. I don't mind "hanging out" in short doses, but I would never spend an entire day on a tour with a bunch of other people. I'd much rather just take a drive in the country with my wife. I've ALWAYS been like that, and I think, unfortunately, many people in my age bracket feel the same way. Further compounding the problem is that many young people today couldn't care less about cars...period. It's nothing like it was when my Dad was young; I'm a high school teacher, and I notice this on a daily basis. There are still car guys and girls out there, but they're a definite minority.

I joined the Buick Club for a year, and I will say that the folks I talked to and met in that organization were always polite and friendly to me, and I never felt like they were shunning me because I was youngish. But I don't really care if people shun me or not, so maybe I just didn't notice. So, to sum up, enjoy what you have in your own way, and do your best to educate yourself and have a good time with the car hobby. If people don't want to talk to you, then find someone who will. Regarding the above posting that introverts should find a new hobby--I feel that's absurd. While it's inevitable that you will always meet new people when driving an old car, it's not my job to be an ambassador for the hobby, regardless of what others think. I LOVE driving and working on old cars, and that's enough.

It's not completely age-related, since at age 56 I still run into the occasional jerk at a show or cruise- the kind who is interested ONLY in his own car or that specific car, and is actually incapable of talking about anything else so will brush you off completely.

At age 26 I showed up to my first car show with a completely original 1964 Oldsmobile Starfire, bought from original owner, with some "patina". I was told by one old coot that I had no business with a car like that; by another that it was a car show, not a used car lot, and to bring it back when it was presentable. It was, but I found out later this guy was an anal perfectionist with a trophy complex who would go all to pieces if his car didn't win first place. He was one of those guys who displayed every trophy the car had ever won with the car at its show space, at every show he attended.

Well, end of the day, the big blue Oldsmobile won a "Diamond in the Rough" award as well as 3rd place in its class, out of five cars. Did I mention it was in the same class as ol' trophy hound's 63 Impala SS? I made some friends that day and the car generated a lot of conversation from people who had no idea Oldsmobile ever built a full-size buckets-and-console car. Those people who were kind and friendly offset the jerks- who, by the way, are still jerks 30 years later. Just older and grumpier.

I have to agree with Aaron65 above, but I don't think its an age thing at all. I'm a good deal older and have never felt I needed the approval of others to justify my interests. The notion that you have to be an "extrovert" to participate in the old car hobby is just plain silly. Its incumbent on all of us to be polite but that's just good manners. I don't think I've ever insulted someone else's car, or been less than helpful when asked a sincere question, but the endless refrain of "what's it worth" strikes me as rude and I'll confess to having been short with a few of those questioners. Many of my old car friends (who were all older than me and are, sadly, gone now) felt the same way. As one of them used to say, "a gentleman does his best to keep his name out of the paper."

My own sense of the issue is that much of this snobbery is the unintended consequence of the points judging madness... turning a relaxing and interesting hobby into a contest. A car show has become, for many, a place you go to "win " complete with whatever status is conferred by collecting another cheap trophy. It would certainly appear that the emphasis on "better than original" cosmetics has made it virtually impossible for the hobbyist restorer to play this game, leaving the field almost completely in the hands of those whose financial resources allow them to hire professionals to do the work for them. In what is essentially a blue collar hobby, this severe restriction. By no means are all the well-to-do collectors snobs (I suspect that very few are, none that I knew were) ... but when only the well-to-do can compete, the snobs are all that more apparent.

This is a long way from the general attitude I remember from 30 or 40 years ago. Though there were certainly professional restorers then (I was one for a sort time) but the standard of workmanship was more akin to a good body shop or garage and a competent non-professional had about as good a chance of "winning" as anyone.

But, I'm lucky in this regard, as I've always thought judging was a silly and stupid waste of time. I'm not the slightest bit interested in what someone I don't know (and whose qualifications I have no way of assessing) thinks about my work, or my car or anything else for that matter.

To the gentleman who began this thread, I'd like to add that expertise really counts. I suspect you are well on you way to having more than many of the people you're complaining about (if you aren't there already). My own experience, from another area of collecting having nothing to do with cars, is that the loudest talkers often have the least to say.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

As others have mentioned, almost all of us have been in your shoes--I was five decades ago, when I was younger than you are. I'd like to re-emphasize the suggestion that it's probably more effective to ask leading questions (no matter what age you are) rather than to seek to display your extensive knowledge early in the conversation. And, no doubt, you may be better informed than many of the car owners with whom you are conversing. When they're wrong and you're right, try to cite a source, "I **think** Hugo Pfau's book says....." But as in the rest of life, always leave the other guy a chance to save face.

A new point, and please take it in the positive spirit in which it is intended: Often I have had young friends dismissed primarily because they looked so different from the car owners--the young visitors were wearing head-banger-band T-shirts, baggy plaid shorts, sandals, and baseball caps worn backwards--or something of that ilk. That only serves to give a new acquaintance a reason to dismiss you **because you are so DIFFERENT**. By no means am I advocating that you attend car shows wearing Izod shirts, lemon-yellow sans-a-belt golf slacks, and white shoes--that "uniform" is even more distasteful to me. You should have a feel by now for how car exhibitors dress at shows in your area (a lot of regional differences), and I suggest you follow their lead. Not too different from what you'd do for a job interview... Also known as "when in Rome..."

Best wishes for a better reception in the future, but we've all been there and survived it.