What was the first car you drove?

michel88

Like a lot of us I was a car guy even as a little kid. By the time I was about 5 years old I could identify almost all cars that I saw. Needless to say I could not wait to start driving. My dad took me to a friends farm in 1958 when I was 14, and he let me dirve his tractor around the farm. This gave me the feel of using a clutch. Then about a month later my mom arranged a ride in 1956 Austin Healey 100 that a young doctor owned. We went down to the Medical Center where she worked and George the doctor took us for a rather spirited drive in the Healey. When we got back to the parking lot he surprised me by asking me if I wanted to drive the car around the parking lot even though I could not get my license for another 2 years. I certainly did! It was a large lot that was empy at the time and I drove around it about a 6 times. After a while he said to drive it into a parking space with a brick wall in front. I drove in a little faster than I should have and I almost panicked as the wall approached. I finally reacted and hit the brakes and stopped right in the space! That is a day that I will never forget and I remember almost every detail. Anyone else have a story about the first car they drove?

Mine was our '62 Mercury Monterey 2-door sedan in Michigan when I was 10. We lived in the country, and my Mom would sit to my left and work the brakes, while I got to steer and use the gas. These were gravel roads with some serious ditches on either side. We might have gotten up to 35mph, tops, but I never ditched the Merc.

TG

Drove my first car, a 1941 Plymouth two door sedan around (mostly in the yard) at age 14.

My favorite early driving story though, is my friend who lived down the street. In the late 70s we were 14 - 15, not legal drivers yet, he had a '59 T-bird he was working with his dad. He would go out for an unauthorized cruise around the neighborhood once in a while, same thing with the Ford wagon they had. His father eventually became suspicious and would remove the rotor from the distributor to keep him "grounded"...

I was also about 5 years old, sat on my fathers lap steering his new 53 Ford around our vacation cottage on a Wisconsin lake. My first real drive controlling the whole car was in a 55 Ford Customline when I was 15, same car I took my driver's test in. It had the Fordomatic so I didn't learn to drive stick until years later.

I learned to drive in a 1957 Porsche Speedster. I had watched people drive for some time and made all sorts of mental notes. On my first try, I took off smoothly, went through the gears without drama, kept in my own lane and stopped without killing the engine. It just seemed very intuitive, to me. Of course, it was a very easy car to drive, which may have helped. The next time I drove was in my Dad's old 40 Ford work car. It was a bit more intimidating than the little Porsche. I had trouble judging the width of the car, but we, and it, survived

I to was 5 years old when I sat on my fathers lap to steer the four year old '34 ford, and also was imagening I was "herding" it down the road. In reality I now think my fathers hand was on the bottom of the steering wheel. 5 years later I was on the road behind the wheel of our old Model A farm pickup, but father was with me in the passenger seat, I can't remember any sharp words from him, but there probably was. --Bob

First time I drove was in Dad's '64 Coupe de ville. After weeks of whining on my part he finally took me to a large factory parking lot that was empty on a Sunday (this was back when few people worked on Sundays). I was excited to slide behind the wheel. To my chagrin he told me to put the car in reverse. I spent the next 20 minutes or so backing all around that lot, Dad's theory being that it was best to learn how to back up first. Next time out we practiced parallel parking. It wasn't until my 3rd "lesson" that I was actually allowed to drive around that lot going forward.

My first was my Dad's 1969 AMC Ambassador, which he bought new (his and our extended family's first ever new car) but was then about 6 years old. The week I got my learner's permit he took me to drive it around 2 city parks for about a half-hour.

That Sunday we visited my grandparents near downtown Pittsburgh (from the eastern suburbs [Monroeville]). 15 miles from home, most of it on the then 3rd most deadly interstate highway in the U.S. (today called I-376). Dad hands me the keys and says "Take me home.". It was my third time behind the wheel, ever. The trip required using a now long closed left lane entrance to the I-376 in downtown Pittsburgh that began as a blind stop sign with no merge lane. I'd been a passenger in a major accident there just 3 years earlier that put my aunt in the hospital.

I made it. Dad put a lot of faith in me that day!:)

Edited by Dave@Moon
can't type! (see edit history)

I too was 5 years old (almost) in the late summer.

Dad put me in his lap in the 3-car garage in Linden, NJ. I steered the '35 Chevy 2-door sedan out of the garage, down the very steep driveway into Miltonia Street, cut the wheel hard right, and parallel-parked within 3 inches of the curb.

Many more adventures include the '42 Chevy sedan. It was a pre-blackout Special DeLuxe 4-door which Dad and I upgraded with a Sears Roebuck rebuilt short block, a valve job, and after sanding off the powder puff maroon - 19 coats of hand-rubbed black laquer paint!. Later there was Dad's '51 Pontiac Tin-Woodie with Hydra-matic, and then a '53 Chevy Bel-air Hard-top with 3-on-the-tree belonging to the mother of a friend -- all of these before ever being old enough to get my license -- great memories !!

Once legal, my regular ride was my red '49 Pontiac convertible - Straight-Eight flathead with 3-on-the-tree, and sometimes Mom's '51 Chevy 4-door Special DeLuxe, or the family '57 Plymouth Savoy -door with the 301ci and Powerflyte with the Sportone in black and white - no P/S or P/B - just radio, big heater, 2-speedwipers, and cigar lighter.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

I can't recall how old I was, but I was born in 1946 and my father bought a new 1950 Buick. I do remember clearly that he used to let me shift his 1938 Buick Special, the car he traded in for the '50. Maybe I was 4, but that floor shifter looked so huge. I learned how to drive in his '55 Buick Century. I think I was 15.

I was 13 years old, and my folks and brother were away from home, so what a perfect time to take the car around the block. This skinny little kid jumped behind the wheel of a huge '58 Buick Super and backed it out of the driveway just fine. It was going around the block that panicked me. Neighbors might see, cop might be around the corner, everything goes through your mind. Anyway, raced home, pulled into the garage without scraping the sides, but I put two perfectly round holes in the sheetrock with the front bumper hitting the wall. Dad always thought that his building contractor forgot to pipe up some heating ducts in the garage and I did not tell him what actually happened until I was about 25 year old.

My father let me shift our three-on-the-tree '52 Plymouth when i was about 4 years old, and also steer it occasionally. The first car I actually drove (at age 15) was our '65 Dodge Coronet in a parking lot on July 4, 1969. We had just bought two galvanized garbage pails and they were making all sorts of noise rattling around the back seat.

Ford 8n tractors at 8 years old...pulling cotton trailers at the cotton gin...then at 12 years old was driving my Dad's 1962 Oldsmobile 88 on the roads of south Louisiana..he'd visit farmers one the back roads and let me drive..not so far fetched when driving age was 14 in Louisiana at the time...

Come on guys! Lap driving does not count, parents could do that on the way home from the hospital!

I think the question was meant to be what car you actually "drove", meaning in total control of starting,

shifting steering and braking staying on the road and driving the thing. Dual control or bumpercars, go carts

amusement rides or that 5 Cent thing in front of Woolworths don't count either.

Got my first car at four. A pedal car. Got my drag racing licence at fourteen driving my dad's 59 Pontiac Catalina, a 389" Factory Tri Power (3-2bbl carbs), four speed Hydramatic. Got my regular licence driving the same car at sixteen. Car ran 13.91 quarter mile times at 100-102 mph.

Guest Joe_Varley

I took my Dad's '58 Chevy Brookwood wagon (blue and white) up and down the alley a few times in 1961, when I was 14. It was a 283 Powerglide, power steering, so it was easy. He would have had a hemorrhage if he knew. He was very conservative with cars. By the time he finally took me out to drive when I was about 16 years and 3 months, went to a parking lot on a Sunday afternoon. He asked me how I knew how to drive already and I told him I already had about 50 miles driven with Mom, cousin, grandfather, etc. That was the last time I had to drive with him, and soon had my license!!

Joe Varley

AZ

Founders Tour in Charlotte, NC - Summer of 1990 (no-not me, but Nate's Mom, our daughter).

The tour visited the Charlotte Motor Speedway and we were permitted to take several laps each, starting on the apron, but were later given the (tacit) OK to go higher up the bank as speed and proficiency increased.

Our 15 year old daughter was not yet licensed, but was already a darned good driver. The gentlemen authorizing track usage told her it was her turn, and she explained that she didn't have a license. He explained that it wasn't a public highway, and asked if she was any good behind the wheel? She really is, and was Daddy's little girl ! She took the '58 Bel-air for a couple of laps on the apron, and then joined John Rickets' '55 Buick and Tommy Brooks' '56 T-Bird for a few hot laps higher on the wall until John went sideways and they all climbed down a bit and came in to Pit Row. She was PUMPED, and I was ONE PROUD PAPA ! She is still a serious driver, having gone on to drive the 1991 and 1992 Founders Tours and the 1992 Chrome Glidden Tour, but those were legit since by then she was on a Learners' Permit. Her son Nate was also on a Learners' Permit, driving the entire distance for 5 days during this past year's Sentimental Tour at age 15-1/2.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

The first car I drove with full control was when my buddy and I took his dads Ford Econoline van to go pick up some girls that were 4 miles down the road. We changed our minds half way there. We decided we were going to try to do a three point turn, and I ended up backing into the ditch and getting stuck. It was 2:30 in the morning. Thank goodness the next house on the road was a farmer with a truck. He pulled us out, and there was no damage to the van. We never did get caught thanks to that nice old farmer. Its almost like he had been in our shoes before :P. I was 12 years old.

Edited by dan@larescorp
add my age (see edit history)

I was almost 9 years old when my father asked me to bring his "49 International KB2 to the front of the house so he and my uncle could toss the old roof shingles into it.

I was most likely 3 1/2 feet tall and not able to see out the windshield and push in the clutch at the same time.

My uncle was impressed.

I had to think long and hard about this question. Memory is getting foggy. I am sure I drove a few tractors, can’t recall make or model, or when. We did live in the country and had fields that require plowing and disking.

The first car I can remember driving was in the parking lot behind the church after a Saturday night dance. When I was 15, my brother (who had a license) was entrusted with our parents brand-new 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham to drive us, and a couple friends, to the church dance. After the dance was over, and the parking lot mostly empty, my brother gave everyone the opportunity of hot rodding the new Chrysler around the parking lot. There were plenty of near misses and some rubber burning.

my first pedal type car was a casey jones locomotive with a tender car behind it, on long trips from ventura to fresno, my mother would let me have her lap to sit on, and i would steer her 1958 oldsmobile 98 four door holiday on hwy 99, when i was 14, my dad would let me drive and park his 1962 cadillac convertible. during the time of high school driver's education, the school had 1972 mid sized dodges and plymouths, but at night and on weekends my dad would let me drive and get used to his 1964 lincoln continental. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

The first car that I ever drove all by myself was my 1931 Dodge Brothers business coupe. 1968.....I was 15 years old. I had taken the car from a pile of parts (that used to be a car before my Dad disassembled it to restore it) to a running, driving, primer red dream. I was outside working on the car one day when I heard a bunch of sirens. I went in my '31 to see what was up a few blocks away. I had my learner's permit and was to get my driver's license when I turned 16 the very next day. I passed by the Catholic high school and checked out the small fire that the firemen were putting out. Started back home and a police car pulled out....followed me all of the way home and up the alley behind my house. I got out of the car and started to walk to the house. "Excuse me", I hear from the officer. "Oh hi", I said. He then asked me why I didn't have a license plate on my old car. I played dumb and sheepishly answered, "There's one on there." He looks at it and says, "1931?" I told him that a friend had told me that if I got an antique license plate and put it on my old car, I could drive it that way (still pretending to be ignorant). He then went into this long explanation about the difference between "historical" plates and "antique" plates which I really already knew. Of course in those days you could not run a year of make plate. He then asked me for my driver's license. I handed him my permit. He bent down, looked into my car and said, "I don't see anyone 21 years old or older in there, do you?" That was the requirement in order to drive with a permit. I said, "No." and he says, "Why don't you park this car until tomorrow when you get your license?" "YES SIR!", I said and then he went into the usual spiel about the car like what kind is it, what is it worth, do I want to sell it.... Still got it at 60.

post-37352-143139332513_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139332519_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139332524_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139332533_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139332542_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139332552_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139332556_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

1961 Plymouth Fury sedan, about 1968, with my dad telling me what to do. I remember having difficult connecting that "up" on the turn signal lever meant Right and "down" meant Left.

He told me how to parallel park by the method I've used ever since. Pull up close beside the car in front and line up your front wheel with its front wheel. (Of course in those days most cars were approximately the same size, except Beetles.) Crank the wheels hard right as you back up. As your front wheels pass the rear wheels of the car beside you, crank hard to the left and concentrate on lining up with the car behind you. Works like a charm but I've never heard that driving instructors teach it this way.

post-59990-143139333714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

1961 Plymouth Fury sedan, about 1968, with my dad telling me what to do. I remember having difficult connecting that "up" on the turn signal lever meant Right and "down" meant Left.

He told me how to parallel park by the method I've used ever since. Pull up close beside the car in front and line up your front wheel with its front wheel. (Of course in those days most cars were approximately the same size, except Beetles.) Crank the wheels hard right as you back up. As your front wheels pass the rear wheels of the car beside you, crank hard to the left and concentrate on lining up with the car behind you. Works like a charm but I've never heard that driving instructors teach it this way.

Wow, you and Walley Cleaver ;

http://www.imcdb.org/i168103.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Casper Friedrich

Dad's ca. 1979 Dutch-made Volvo 343 with manual transimission in the early 80s

Guest Nancy DeWitt

An Austin Mini Moke, painted like a tiger and affectionately named "Tigger," when I was 14. My junior high boyfriend lived on a ranch and taught me to drive. His father had quite a collection of cars, including a very cool old Rolls Royce (which they still have--went to my first school dance in that one!) and a lot of Corvairs. From Tigger I graduated to their old Dodge Power Wagon, which was a fun beast to drive except for the time the steering column failed on me. Good times.

Guest Bob Call

The first I drove by myself, no one else in the seat, was a late 40's GMC flatbed with a hay rack, I'm guessing a 2 ton rated. I would drive it in granny low around the hay meadow while my uncle and a helper would load and stack bales of hay. When we got a full load I got to drive to the hay barn to unload. I was about 9 as I believe it was the summer of 1950. First time driving on the road, country gravel roads, was my uncle's 1950 Chevy 3100 5 window which also had a granny low 4 speed. This was about a year later.

Guest myold88

Back in 1954 as a 12 year old, our neighbor Bob Sobek, took me to the Sears parking lot in Cherry Hill, N.J. and let me drive his new 1954 Olds Holiday 98 2 door h/t. It was 2 tone blue. I still remember that beautiful car and Bob's name- That shows just how important that experience was to me.

Edited by myold88 (see edit history)