Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

Got a call from a neighbor whose college classmate was visiting from San Francisco. The friend is a car guy with a Triumph Spitfire and an MGB. He wanted to see my stash. So I gave the two men and the neighbor's two little kids a ride in the '12 Buick. Then I taught the visitor to drive the Model T. Then he and I went for a chug in the one-lung Cadillac. I don't think his feet have touched the ground since!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Yup........took the '25 Dodge and 4 passengers to "Drive Your Tractor to Church" today at our sister congregation: Drive Your Tractor to Church - Faith/New Hope Joint Parish .......the Dodge is down the page a bit.

It's about 11 miles from here to there.

I took numerous back roads on the way home........nice day for a leisurely drive....... :) .......oh........"A good time was had by all"....... :cool:

A nice end of a Sunday that was mostly mundane chores, when Mrs. Stock Steve wanted to go for a little pleasure drive in her '63 VW Karmann Ghia along the local Connecticut shoreline.

First to stop for some fresh native corn at the local farm stand in Stony Creek:

post-34222-143142136793_thumb.jpg

Next to gas up a bit in Guilford:

post-34222-143142136806_thumb.jpg

A beautiful salt marsh photo op spot at the western end of Madison:

post-34222-143142136816_thumb.jpg

One more photo op spot by a salt marsh and tidal river in Westbrook, where the low-angle setting sun made for even richer colors:

post-34222-143142136825_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142136837_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314213685_thumb.jpg

Summer afternoons don't get much nicer!

Sunday decided at the last minute to drive out to a local Gas & Steam Engine event who asked for old cars in the hopes of increasing the attendance at their annual show. Being that it is about 15 miles outside the city, the car seems to be performing better each time I take it out, filled the tank and off I went using mostly back roads.

post-36036-143142137697_thumb.jpg

The Whippet was the oldest car there other than 1 Model T tractor conversion unit. The displays were fantastic and loved watching the steam tractor running the Saw Mill cutting a long 36 diameter soft wood log.

post-36036-143142137704_thumb.jpg

The trip home was uneventful, the few vehicles I encountered behaved respectfully while I poked along and decided to wash her up before parking in the garage.

post-36036-143142137764_thumb.jpg

Then..... hmmmm.... one slow turn of the starter and nothing. Pulled the floor boards, checked the battery connections and still nothing. Had to push her in the garage and put the battery charger on as it was getting close to dinner. Might just be time for a new battery??

More than 20 years ago my wife and I, and four of our joint five kids, flew gliders from Ridge Soaring Gliderport in central Pennsylvania. Many world records were set there (not by any of us!) The woman of the team who ran (and still runs) the place, Doris Grove, was the first woman in the world to fly 1000 kilometers (500 out and 500 back) non-stop in a glider.

Yesterday was Doris's 80th birthday, and there was a massive celebration at the gliderport. Joan and I, and my daughter Verity (one of the students, whom Doris sent solo at age 15) and HER daughter, went to the party. I took the 1912 Buick and gave rides up and down the runway (always checking for, and yielding to, for aircraft) all afternoon. Lots of fun and nostalgia. It was good to talk aircraft again.

I took my Starfire out when my older son was visiting two weekends ago, took my usual 6 mile "exercise" route on the frontage roads for the Sam Rayburn Tollway near the house. After the turnaround point I floored it (Showoff!) and it stumbled big time, popping and missing. It cruised OK but was not happy, missing on acceleration all the way home. I put it away and had no time to look at it since we were leaving for vacation in West Texas.

While we were gone I went through all the usual scenarios in my mind, from simple fouled plugs or burned points to major ruptured fuel pump diaphragm or slipped timing chain. I finally got back to it today, the first thing I looked at was the spark plug cable under the AC compressor because it's a ***** to get at - and I see it is completely off the plug! Popped it back on, started it up and took it for a ride, it runs great! This is very atypical for me in that a repair actually did not cost anything, so here is a respectful thank you to the Oldsmobile gods!

post-51036-143142140289_thumb.jpg

I took my Starfire out when my older son was visiting two weekends ago, took my usual 6 mile "exercise" route on the frontage roads for the Sam Rayburn Tollway near the house. After the turnaround point I floored it (Showoff!) and it stumbled big time, popping and missing. It cruised OK but was not happy, missing on acceleration all the way home. I put it away and had no time to look at it since we were leaving for vacation in West Texas.

While we were gone I went through all the usual scenarios in my mind, from simple fouled plugs or burned points to major ruptured fuel pump diaphragm or slipped timing chain. I finally got back to it today, the first thing I looked at was the spark plug cable under the AC compressor because it's a ***** to get at - and I see it is completely off the plug! Popped it back on, started it up and took it for a ride, it runs great! This is very atypical for me in that a repair actually did not cost anything, so here is a respectful thank you to the Oldsmobile gods!

I've had a couple of similar "bargain price" repairs like that in my life, but it usually takes me a LOT longer to figure them out, and sometimes there are also wrenches thrown, colorful language, etc., accompanying the experience.

Glad to hear of the very happy ending!!!

That sure is a great looking Olds!!!

I've had a couple of similar "bargain price" repairs like that in my life, but it usually takes me a LOT longer to figure them out, and sometimes there are also wrenches thrown, colorful language, etc., accompanying the experience.

The cheapest repairs I've had came with an old Jaguar I owned, the lights would stop working on one side or sometimes just one corner, and all I would have to do was get out and bang on the fender just behind the wheels and they would light up again. The Laws of British Sports Cars applied readily to my cars. The Laws of British Sports Cars

Took the wife and two other lady friends for breakfast/lunch after church in my '27 Tudor T.......about 11 miles one way and stuck to back roads on the way home.

"A good time was had by all"....... :D

The '19 Touring T is next in the queue.......we won't have THAT many more days of really nice driving weather for passengers in an open car.

Where does the time go? :confused:

Got the Vette out and took the top off for the first time. The fuel gauge isn't working correctly. It moves a little up to just above E so I figured it had to be low. Went to the gas station and 2 gallons filled it up. Got back to the house and had a strong gas smell. Popped the access cover off the gas tank (behind the seats) The fuel line coupling on top of the gas tank was leaking like a siv. I tightened it but it didn't seal it. I took it apart cleaned up both ends put it back together and problem fixed. It looks like it's been leaking bad for quite some time. There was a lot of gas staining all over the new tank the last owner had installed. I also have no head lights on the driver's side when I put on the hi beam. I have both hi beams faintly glowing when it's on dim so I have to check the grounds. I figure that any gremlins in a Fiberglass car are going to start with a ground check. I worked on boats for a while and that was more often than not the problem. Unfortunately the hardtop at some point did some paint damage where it sits so I have some detail work to make it look a bit more presentable. all in all it runs pretty good and it's hard to drive without wanting to get on it a little every now and then just to hear the exhaust.

Definately a bit different than driving the 48 Plymouth or 36 Chrysler.

Here's a topless photo at my shop last night before I drove it home.

post-43003-143142148087_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142148083_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend we drove the 1914 Buick on Saturday

post-54863-143142148223_thumb.jpg

then on Sunday afternoon we went for a ride in the 1937 Buick

post-54863-143142148226_thumb.jpg

spent a little time cruising the neighborhood in the 1954 Caddy

post-54863-143142148248_thumb.jpg

and finished the day with a cruise in the 1970 Cadillac convertible

post-54863-143142148245_thumb.jpg

A Good Day !!!

................all in all it runs pretty good and it's hard to drive without wanting to get on it a little every now and then just to hear the exhaust.

Definately a bit different than driving the 48 Plymouth or 36 Chrysler.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]209469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]209470[/ATTACH]

That should be the only reason that I need to get my 65 Corvette out of the garage, but alas, I'm terribly busy. The Northern Neck is having its annual fair this week, and our region has a car corral each night, so we try to drive something different each night. Well the Vette fuelly did not want to start Saturday morning. I pulled the intake hose off and shot some raw fuel in, but it takes 2 people to do that safely (need a fire extinguisher handy) Finally bit the bullet and shot a spot of ether in it this morning and it started right up. As with most older cars, if they set a good while (month or two), they lose their prime. I hate to consider this, but I guess I'll put an electric priming pump on her.

I'll add a picture tomorrow when it stops raining. Wait, I have a good one...... Taken in Blacksburg, Va. at their Eastern Meet back in 2010.

post-31395-143142148607_thumb.jpg

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

Drove my one-lung Cadillac on the Brighton USA tour over the weekend. This is a low-key 1-and 2-cylinder brass-era tour in NJ, not to be confused with the much bigger New London to New Brighton tour in Minnesota. Three of us drove 22 miles on Friday afternoon, and 12 of us drove 66 miles on Saturday. Perfect weather. Gorgeous back roads with lots of hills. Friday evening pizza and Saturday catered lunch were at Andy Wallace's home in Branchville. Two-cylinder Buicks predominated, but there were also a two-cylinder REO, a Yale, a Renault, a Maxwell, and - ahem! - a tiny single cylinder Isetta from the '50s, that looked as though one of the big twins had laid an egg. A totally fun day-and-a-half.

Took the LTD to the local Monday night cruise-in at Tractor Supply. Beautiful evening, talked with a friend who brought his '77 Matador wagon that he's owned for 24 years. Another acquaintance I've met at the show had his '77 New Yorker, but he also owns a Pacer, a '63 Imperial and a '62 (I think) Bentley. We spent a lot of time talking about the AACA as he has been a member since he was a kid. He said his father was an attorney for the AACA for many years. He said he's been to many, many meets all over the country and that if I wanted to know anything about the AACA, talk to him first. He and my other friend were very pleased to hear that I've entered the LTD in HPOF.

Last Sunday, on a last minute whim, decided to pick up a fellow car nut and drive to an annual Cornfest in the next community. Took the city four lane main road versus the two lane to give traffic a chance to get around and Joe looked really concerned with traffic whizzing by (He has 50's and 60's cars so..... slow he isn't used to).

Not many antique cars and the modified gang was really looking at us when we drove in let alone the public.

post-36036-143142163491_thumb.jpg

Summer is almost over so will be going on Labour Day Weekend back to our Local Annual Car Club event with Dad again (as long as we can). Hoping for good weather.

I drove my baby for the first time this Saturday. After 5 months of dust and cobweb removal and the necessary rework after a very long garage period, I felt it was road worthy. I had forgotten the pleasure I get out of the drive and the looks and waves. I still have a lot of work to do, but at least I can have fun with it. Also forgot how much pressure is required for manual brakes!!!PUSH HARDER.

Earlier in August, specifically Friday evening, August 2nd, 2013, I drove my gnarly '69 Bug over to the North Branford, CT "Potato & Corn Festival" Classic Car Cruise, and had a wonderful evening walking around and checking out all the cars. Reference: Car Show

post-34222-143142163644_thumb.jpg

The '69's clutch was starting to show signs of slippage by that time, however, and I haven't driven it a heck of a lot since, waiting for a good opportunity to yank the engine to put in a new clutch disk. Maybe can find some time this coming Labor Day Weekend to do it... We shall see...

These last two shots were from later the same evening, Friday, August 2nd, 2013.

post-34222-14314216366_thumb.jpg

I sure do miss driving that car, and have to get that clutch done before all the good "Convertible Driving Weather" passes me by...

post-34222-143142163635_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142163652_thumb.jpg

Saturday morning the Packard came out of the garage, got all six of her tires pumped up, and got a few more miles under her belt...

Flexing her muscles, and dusting off the cobwebs --

getting ready for the 68th Revival AAA GLIDDEN TOUR,

this year hosted by AACA's Chickamauga Region

and Headquartered at Tennessee's famed Chattanooga Choo Choo

post-54863-143142163768_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142163778_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142163779_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142163783_thumb.jpg

We drove down through town to breakfast Saturday. I was wearing a "bowler" hat and had an English looking pipe in my mouth, and Karen was wearing a bright pink, very "Queenly" looking hat and as we cruised in we were doing the "royal wave", ha ! Got a lot of thumbs up, laughs, and comments. Cars make the world so much fun sometimes ! To top off the morning, after breakfast one of the guys slipped one of those whistle devices in my tailpipe, but the little fellow puts out such a tiny bit of "horse-pressure" that the whistle wouldn't sound ! After we left and pulled in the driveway, the lower radiator hose pop'ed a pinhole in itself and squirted for a minute. We thought it was so polite for the little car to wait till we got home to make a little scene, guess it wants some maintenance-type attention, Ha !! Oh, our car is the one getting all the attention.............

post-56202-143142163813_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Byrd
forgot to name my car (see edit history)

Just took the Vette out tonight. I fixed the gas gauge. The float had a pinhole in it. I have alot of Old NOS parts so I just robbed the float off a mystery gauge and that took care of it. The calibration looks off a bit but that's an easy fix.

I have been chasing down the Headlight issue and it appears that a ground is the issue. No surprise being a fiberglass car. I traced everything step by step to every visible junction. I believe it's somewhere in the actual harness from headlight to the first plug. When I bypassed it with a temporary jumper it worked fine.

The weather this evening was just too nice, with the low beams on (they work fine) I took it out for a 15 mile spin just to hear the pipes and do a little shifting.

Well it felt better to drive it than chase wiring like I have been doing the last couple of nights. When I got back, I tried the lights just to see. Now they work fine. That 20 minute drive sure was more fun than laying on my back chasing wires and reading schematics.

Some times you get lucky. I just hope it stays fixed.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

The weather cooperated and we took several museum cars out for some exercise this week. Let's see if you can identify the two vehicles in this photo and guess which one we drove:

post-58418-143142167913_thumb.jpg

The car is a Cord but I'm not up on which year but my guess is 1930.

I drove my 48 Plymouth ragtop today with the new redirad radio adapter in it. Took about 10 minutes, 2 sockets and a nut driver to install it. I plugged a portable Cd player into it and threw in a 40's Big Band Cd. Sounded great coming out of the original AM radio over the old speaker. Just enough crackle to let you know it's still the original radio. Went for a little spin with it. It was just like turning the clock back to the late 40's. I would recommend one to anyone with an old car that likes something other than what's on the local AM stations.

Guest crosley51

Does it count if you only drive down your driveway? I was able to drive my 68 Merc down for a bath. Finally making some progress after 3 years. Sure was nice to set in the drivers seat again

post-80292-143142171831_thumb.jpg

I went for an hour or so drive from NW Portland over to St. Johns neighborhood simply because I love crossing the beautiful St. Johns Bridge. I then headed back through my area and then south into Sellwood/Eastmoreland neighborhoods near Reed College and then back home. It was a great drive on a beautiful Pacific Northwest Sunday.

I washed my car but I must have dried it wrong as it seems to have shrunk several sizes.

post-83411-143142171837_thumb.jpg

post-83411-143142171846_thumb.jpg