Dave@Moon

Have you driven your classic today?

It was a balmy 10° F in Fairbanks today (trust me, that's positively tropical after our brutal stretch of -40 temps a few weeks ago), so we took the museum's freshly repaired 1922 Wills Sainte Claire sedan out for a drive.

post-58418-143139323774_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143139323737_thumb.jpg

Nancy - funny you should mention the temps in Fairbanks. We just got a belated Christmas card from my wife's cousin in Fairbanks and she mentioned being able to get outside and do things now that the winter solstice had passed and temps had warmed up 40° to a high of 0° !

Took the 37 Buick out for a several mile trip. Still not running well. More tweeking to do. Afterward took out the 25 Buick for some exercize. The clutch still sticks but does run better than the 37!

Larry

Got to 55 degrees out yesterday in Central CT, and the roads were pretty good - main ones not bad at all despite some snow melt. Put about 40 miles or so on the SL; including a bit on the highway. It was perfect after about a 6 week period of sitting. Must have been "give your German car some air" day in CT. I saw three other collector cars on this run, a red late 60s VW fastback that looked like it just pulled out of the paint shop, another "107" chassis SL - white, a nice car - he looked pretty surprised to see us - and a "111" chassis 220 se coupe in tobaco brown that was just stunning.

All in all a fun hour or so on the road - not sure when the next opportunity will be due to this being a more active winter than last year, but that is New England for you - makes us appreciate Spring more!

Like Steve Mack, we were able to get in a bit of driving with our '70 Bug yesterday in the South-Central part of Connecticut.

My daughter, who has had her drivers license now for about 3 or 4 months, has been asking to learn stick shift. Yesterday was our first opportunity to get out to the local intermediate school parking lot for some initial practice. I drove there, and we passed a very cool '60s Alfa coupe on our way & exchanged thumbs up.

At the school I did several laps of the parking lot riding shotgun, giving Sarah instructions and suggestions about how to make her take-offs and shifts smoother, and then it was time for her to do several solo laps. Toward the end of the session, she was doing quite well. Weather permitting, we'll try it again next weekend...

Here's one photo showing Sarah inducing some body lean on a right-hander:

post-34222-143141716634_thumb.jpg

Way to go Sarah! Baby steps, Steve, baby steps! :)

Wet and sloppy out there today, thanks to the light snow we got overnight last night, so I guess Sarah's going to have to wait for her next manual transmission lesson (I don't want to take my Bug out on the road since our town LOVES to spread the salt).

I did take Doug the '60 Bug out just a little while ago for a very small drive on a private driveway that doesn't get salted, and took a couple of shots in the low-angle bright afternoon sunlight:

post-34222-143141724801_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141724816_thumb.jpg

The local Cars and Croissants group was having withdrawal symptoms, so it held a small gathering this morning on 1-1/2 days' notice. It's mostly modern exotics, but anything interesting is welcome. I drove the 1907 single-cylinder Cadillac, fortunately only 6 miles each way, and attracted a fair bit of attention. Most of the guys had seen my car before, but it has no top or windshield. The temperature was 12 when I set out and 23 when I got home. Love that snowmobile suit!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I drove my '70 Bug down to the village post office yesterday morning and had the good fortune to get behind this spectacular-looking '60s Ford Pickup on my way home, along CT coastal route 146...

(will effort adding a picture next chance I get, since the computer doesn't seem happy with that concept right this minute...)

EDIT: Here's the picture, shot from behind the wheel of the Bug, as we headed eastbound along Rt. 146. We are at the eastern end of Branford, not far from the Guilford border. A very cool truck sighting!

post-34222-14314173768_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
To try again to add a photo... (see edit history)

Guest GrabberOrangeBullit

Driven at least 5 days a week! Granted she is not rare or a huge ticket investment like so many collectors cars we and others have owned, but she spent so much of her life as a Sunday only car from new (she had 63,000 orig miles on her when saved) that she deserves the full run she now gets. Our son LOVES going home from school in her each day. His principal told my spouse that when she hears the exhaust reverberating in the other side of her office wall, she knows its time to initiate the school dismissal. Of course all the Eco drivers and $60,000+ new car drivers on the school pick up line hate her...but isn't that the point?

Edited by GrabberOrangeBullit (see edit history)

Took the ole 68 3/4 ton Chevy Custom Camper for a spin today to check the original steering wheel that I put on and enjoy the fresh new interior.

She handles great even though the original steering wheel feels real skinny compared to the old sport one that I removed, but I love it cause she's looking original now ! Just feels right regardless how skinny it is.

It was a balmy 10° F in Fairbanks today (trust me, that's positively tropical after our brutal stretch of -40 temps a few weeks ago), so we took the museum's freshly repaired 1922 Wills Sainte Claire sedan out for a drive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]171137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]171140[/ATTACH]

How pretty is that set against the white snow?!

Love it!

Finally got our 1934 Packard out for the first time. Just a quick drive around the resort and she's now back into the shop for a little more work.

post-58418-143141739772_thumb.jpg

Finally got our 1934 Packard out for the first time. Just a quick drive around the resort and she's now back into the shop for a little more work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176531[/ATTACH]

Stunning!

I'm in Florida for a few months; my cars are back home in the cold of Maine but I wish they were here with me.

Haven't seen much action in this thread lately!

Now that the nice weather's here in Southern Connecticut, I've been driving my '70 Bug here and there, including to work on occasion, and also some shows and cruise nights when I can make 'em.

I had it up to the Central CT Region AACA's great Glastonbury, CT show on Sunday, June 9th--a sample photo is below (that's my son Matt posing with it), and more info about the event appears in Steve Mack's dedicated thread at: http://forums.aaca.org/f213/ccr-aaca-glastonbury-car-show-june-352556.html - and once again I tip my hat to Steve Mack, and all the Central CT Region AACA members for an outstanding meet!

post-34222-143141955175_thumb.jpg

Also was pleased to make it to the Main Street Middletown Classic Car Cruise--a truly amazing gathering, organized by the Eastern Chapter Over The Hill Gang Car Club, ref: Over The Hill Gang Car Club - Eastern Chapter Classic Cars . This event was held Wednesday evening, June 12th--this photo's by my VW buddy Greg, and that's me posing with the car:

post-34222-143141955149_thumb.jpg

And a special shout-out to our friends from the CT VW Association for orchestrating the meeting place and time for the old-VW drivers, so that we could all drive into the Middletown event as a unit, and park together: http://www.ctvwa.org

And from the work-commuting experiences file, these shots were from two afternoons ago, Monday, June 17th. While driving home along Interstate 95 (with the top down, naturally!), through the New Haven area, I'm starting to hear static over the AM radio (that I generally keep tuned to "all-news radio 88" out of New York), and then this amazing, dramatic mass of dark clouds starts drifting over, from, it looked like, the northwest (and heading southeast). When I got to Exit 56 in Branford (CT), I pulled off and over into the commuter parking lot that's just on the south side of the highway (directly adjacent to the public works garage that directly borders the highway, on the east side of Leetes Island Road), and snapped a couple of quick shots:

post-34222-143141955209_thumb.jpg

It started to rain soon after these photos were taken--thankfully I had reached my garage by then!

Looking forward to lots more old car driving fun in 2013. Happy Motoring (and happy Fahrvergnugen)!

post-34222-143141955186_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141955198_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

I took the Packard out yesterday for about a 5 mile drive. The hot weather has started here but we have had rain the last few days and it was fairly cool and cloudy so both I and the car were comfortable. My summer routine for the prewar car will be early morning driving whenever possible including my Saturday Cars and Coffee stops. The Olds is good anytime but leaving a black car out in 100 degree sun makes it a lot of fun when you get back in - we get spoiled in newer cars with almost no metal interior parts to burn you!

My daughter wanted to go to the library yesterday, so we fired up the wildcat and went for a drive. Stop and go traffic all the way there during 5pm rush hour. First time the '65 had been out in about 9 months. The library we went to didn't have the book she wanted, so we hopped on the highway for a 15 mile trip up the road. Roxanne performed flawlessly. On the way home, we hit a stretch of back roads that were my favorite to explore on my motorcycle and they did not disappoint in the Buick either.

We both had a great time. I'm glad she was looking at the wrong library inventory numbers!

Got my '71 Buick LeSabre out last Friday to run around town doing my Rotary auction solicitations. I've only had it out once since returning from Florida in April - and that was the first time it had been out since last November. In looking at the oil change sticker, I'd only driven it 40 miles since May last year. I put another 30 or so on Friday and Saturday. I was going to take it to a local cruise night on Monday but something else came up and I wasn't able to go. I took my '72 LTD to the cruise the previous week so will try to take the Buick next Monday. This weekend, I plan to take the LTD to the New England Thunderbird Club all car meet in Eliot, Maine. That's just under 100 miles one way for me. I've never been to one of their shows so we'll see. The hand out says it's on the grass with shaded areas.

Ironically (as this was my thread in the first place) I haven't driven my Triumph once yet this year. It needs a major brake overhaul and personal and family issues (I've had to be in Pittsburgh for most of the last 2 months) have left me no time to fix it let alone work on my restoration project.

I am dealing with some family issues also, Dave@, and so I know how that stuff supersedes everything else. I am fulfilling some family obligations through this exact weekend as a matter of fact, and it barely leaves me time to think about other stuff (let alone "do" other stuff).

As I well know: "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do."

Hang in there, and I'm sure this thread'll still be around to be resurrected the next time you have some updates to share.

Took the '55 Porsche to breakfast and drove the '33 Continental Flyer cross-town last Sunday to get to Eyes on Design where I met Dandy Dave!