Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

I drove my '55 Desoto wagon to breakfast today. Of course, I had to move (and exercise) the '48 New Yorker, the '66 Imperial and my first new car the '87 Shelby CSX so I could get the Desoto out. I have some work to do on her before I take her to the Palm Springs meet next month in hopes of coming home with my first Senior award. Cheers,Roger

Backed the LTD out of the garage this afternoon to start prepping for Hershey. I took stuff out of the trunk I don't want to take, put stuff in I do - folding chair, fire extinguisher, tools. Vacuumed it and checked it over, lights, wipers, fluids, pumped up the tires to they all have the same pressure and cleaned the white walls. Getting anxious to hit the road!

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Hooray for unseasonable warm weather in Fairbanks! Our "new" 1906 Pope-Toledo Type XII touring car arrived on Sunday, and when we took it out for a spin yesterday it was the first time one had been driven on the streets of Fairbanks in ~90 years. A Pope-Toledo was the very first car in Fairbanks, so this is a very historic and special car for our museum. There were actually two Pope-Toledos in Fairbanks after the Gold Rush, and this one is identical to the second one that arrived here (around 1910 from Dawson City). Y'all should come see it!

post-58418-143142236976_thumb.jpg

post-58418-143142237003_thumb.jpg

Hooray for unseasonable warm weather in Fairbanks! Our "new" 1906 Pope-Toledo Type XII touring car arrived on Sunday, and when we took it out for a spin yesterday it was the first time one had been driven on the streets of Fairbanks in ~90 years. A Pope-Toledo was the very first car in Fairbanks, so this is a very historic and special car for our museum. There were actually two Pope-Toledos in Fairbanks after the Gold Rush, and this one is identical to the second one that arrived here (around 1910 from Dawson City). Y'all should come see it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218782[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218783[/ATTACH]

Nancy, congrats on the new addition - and what's with the "Y'all" woman, that's a Texas thang!

Guest Nancy DeWitt

Hey, what happened to the "Like" button?!!

John, a lot of Texans have found refuge from the heat (or are on the lam) here in Alaska, and I guess their lingo has rubbed off on me :-)

Drove the FarmOroad out of the barn today and backed it back into it's Winter spot and covered it up. Getting to cold for no top, no doors and no heater. The 50 F1 will stay ready to go till the first salt gets spread, since it has a heater.

Drove the Plymouth home from the shop for lunch and it was pretty nice so I took the Vette out, Which I haven't been able to drive for a few weeks, for a 14 mile joy ride then brought it back and snapped a few photos before I put it back in the garage. The radio went out in the Plymouth so I don't have tunes anymore. I replaced the Vibrator with a used one ( I went through 8 or 9 radios before I found a correct one that worked or atleast made noise) that atleast didn't blow the fuse like the old one was doing but I don't get any sound out of the speaker. The vibrator seems to work unless it isn't powering everything up enough. Well atleast it still runs and drives well. I think I'll sell the Plymouth and move onto another car. I've done almost all I can do without going to the next step of painting it.

Time for a new toy I guess. post-43003-143142238853_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142238851_thumb.jpg

Drove the gnarly '69 Bug to work again today--a sparkling day in Southern Connecticut!

Yes indeed, that's a Beetle-shaped shadow on coastal Route 146 westbound in Stony Creek, CT early this morning:

post-34222-143142239802_thumb.jpg

And a few minutes later, we are up on Interstate 95, southbound (approaching the Branford rest stops area--the northbound side, visible to the left, opened recently, but the southbound side is still being worked-on), no problem holding our own at 65+ mph (the '69 Bug with it's long-legged '73 transmission is so much more of a capable and confident highway car than my clapped-out '92 Taurus):

post-34222-143142239812_thumb.jpg

Happy Friday!

Had the '39 Buick Coupe out on Saturday to a car show in Westlake - didn't enter since we were busy earlier in the day. There were about 60 entries limited to original or restored to original cars built from 1909 - 1959. There were some fantastic cars on display. On Sunday we drove the Buick to Decatur for an AACA meeting at a members "car barn" (much nicer than a barn). His facility is climate controlled and he has 12 or so very nice cars and trucks. Had our meeting and a late lunch and then caravaned to another "car barn" about 15 miles away to see a collection of Hudson and Terra Plane cars (and a couple of trucks). There were some extremely rare and beautiful cars in this collection of about 20 vehicles. So, for the weekend we logged about 180 miles on the Buick in some really great fall weather.

Edited by jvelde (see edit history)

Our weather is starting to turn in the Northeast so I figured it was a good day to treat the gas in my old cars incase I can't take them out again. It was in the low 60's with filtered sun so not a terrible day to put the convertibles away or atleast get them ready to be put away. I drove them all about 12 miles or so each giving my 3 year old daughter a drive around the neighborhood in each. When I was all done I asked her which one she wanted. As if I had to ask.

I figured it may be the only chance to get a photo of the 3 so I took a couple of shots. I have an interested party in the Chrysler although I haven't really put it up for sale, and have decided to sell the Plymouth anyways. Don't worry, I'm not downsizing just looking to swap out to other cars needing a little TLC.

Interesting to see how much cars changed in all aspects from 1936 to 1960. Of course other than tube shocks the 48 Plymouth doesn't drive much different than 36 Chrysler as in 36 Chrysler was pretty advanced.

post-43003-143142244912_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142244908_thumb.jpg

Drove the '70 Bug over to a really enjoyable event in Guilford, CT this past Sunday (10/20/2013) called the "Shoreline Oktoberfest," ref: http://shorelineoktoberfest.com/ - where there was reduced admission for classic car drivers (that day and also Friday evening). The Mrs. drove her '63 Ghia there also. Fun times on a bright and sparkling Sunday!

post-34222-143142245787_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143142245811_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14314224583_thumb.jpg

Here's me in the gnarly '69 Bug crossing the bridge over the Housatonic River which forms the boundary between towns of Milford and Stratford, CT, this morning around 9am or so. This bridge also demarks the intersection between the Wilbur Cross Parkway and the Merritt Parkway, which are continuous, and are otherwise known as CT Route 15. I am heading southbound so I am close to, if not already on, the Merritt, at the time of this shot.

post-34222-143142248496_thumb.jpg

The Bug's really a lot of fun to drive, but has no heat (right now anyway--I have heater boxes, but no heater box control cables--have to get that done eventually); thankfully it's fine with the windows and top up for now, and should be for a good while to come yet this season...

I got the 71 LeSabre out this morning to make a dump run and do some errands. I also cruise the local car lots just to see what's new out there. I haven't had the Buick out much the last couple of years, just enough to keep things running okay. I've put just a little over 100 miles on it since May of 2012; I haven't even put any gas in it yet this year. It needs some work done to it, so I don't take it very far. The last time I had it out was in August when I drove it 7 miles to a local farm stand to get some corn on the cob. I have someone in mind to do some work on her for me but have to wait until his schedule permits. He's restoring a '37 Dodge convertible now. I don't want the Buick restored but I want the things that need fixing fixed so I can enjoy it and feel comfortable taking it out of town.

Took my 37 Chevy p/u out for a little drive today and did some tinkering to see if i could get it to run a little better,while I was chasing down the rattle in the motor I backed off the timing to see if it was spark knock and never bumped it back up after i determined the rattle was coming from the #2 cylinder. I could never find the timing ball on the flywheel so I had to time by ear since day one so I can never time it exactly but it runs much better now and I hope to get it back to my home garage this week to do some more tinkering this winter as I am planning on a carb change to a Carter YF and see whats making noise in the front suspension.

Took the 48 plymouth out for a spin and got the heater working properly. Seems the squirrel cage was touching the housing inside keeping it from turning. some tinkering and I finally got it working properly. Now I have to check the switch to see if that's the reason it only has one speed. I believe it is. Probably just corroded. The heater kept it pretty warm inside considering I still have the back window zipped out. Close that up and I'll probably sweat to death.

I took the Roadmaster for about an hour ride. I was surprised the tires didn't need air, this was the first time I had driven since it has cooled off. But they were at 32 psi.

Nice drive out and back. Ran into some misting rain just as I turned toward the barn... I almost washed it before I left from home, now I'm glad I didn't waste the effort...

Guest Trapdoor2

Took the '55 Roadmaster to work today, met my wife and her mother for lunch then back to work. I'm about to leave for the day and will probably take the long way home. Beautiful out, perfect for the hardtop with all the windows down.

Guest B1rdman

Have I driven today??? I drive my 1927 Hupmobile ever day.

It is 3 miles to the coffee shop in Colbert Okla and I drive it ever morning to coffee.

gene

I took the 48 Plymouth ragtop out, put the top down and drove it about 10 miles. I had to go to the gas station and fill up, then put stabilizer in it. It was really windy but temps in the low 60's so I turned the heater up and it was pretty toasty being I forgot my coat at the shop. Probably the last time I will get to drive it this year. Possibly snow showers on Saturday night so that means plenty of salt just in case. They haven't used this years quota up yet you know.

I didn't drive an old car to it--but I noticed that a lot of people did--and not just for the special "hot rods display" parking area that was set aside (the event was staged by a hot rod club, and it is certainly their prerogative to set aside space for that), but also several cool older vehicles were seen in among the "riff raff" spectator parking also, at yesterday's positively awesome "CSRA Fall Swap Meet" that was held at the Lake Compounce amusement park's expansive parking area in Bristol, CT (right near ESPN world headquarters, as a matter of fact). It was a tremendous day for it, and the crowds were unbelievable. Fun times! I will try to add a photo or two here once I get a chance to...

"CSRA" stands for Connecticut Street Rod Association, who are a great group of people, and who donate many, many dollars to very good charitable causes.

More info: http://www.csra.org/