Dave@Moon

Have you driven your classic today?

Wow, super kool! That's a great picture, and the Whippet sure is a beauty!

I think I see a WWII Volkswagen "Kubelwagen" right under the front of the awesome "Lancaster" airplane, too!

Good job Doug & Doug's son!

Thanks for the comments!

A couple of things;

1- Yes that is a Kubelwagen (pronounced Koobelvaugen) that my fellow Club member purchased a year age to go with his Willys Jeep! They both have mounted guns (non operational of course but period correct) and along with his other car collection enjoys the Military auto connection and Planes.

2- re: the Lancaster Bomber - We here in Windsor, Ontario had one on a pedestal (up off the grounds since the late 60's and while complete, was deteriorating from the elements (kinda like cars behind the garage thing). A group was formed and the Lancaster was taken down, found a home at our Airport and is undergoing a physical restoration in the hopes (money willing) that some day it too might see the air once again. You think car restoration is expensive?????? Truly a great bunch of dedicated people!

To bring this back to "Have you driven your classic today?".......

This past weekend being our Canadian Thanksgiving, with family coming into town for the first time in four years, brought the Whippet home to polish her up to take it over to Dad's for the afternoon. Wouldn't you know it started to sprinkle on the way there and as it was cool (my relatives have been living in the South), no one wanted to go out and go for a ride. That was OK as I enjoyed taking the back residential roads after dark to her garage. That jeweled light really does light up the dash!

Need to check the mileage with what it was last year when Dad changed ownership to me. I have a feeling it has seen more this year than in the last 5 ........

Doug

BCA# 35039

post-36036-14313920936_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139209386_thumb.jpg

WOW!

While not my car (sigh)........ my fellow Car Club member offered me one of his cars for a Fall Colour Tour today. IT is his 1966 Lincoln 4dr Convertible! What a road car!

Watched it roll over 80,000 miles on the odometer about lunch time. For a 5400lb car it will never beat a tuned Mustang off the line but....

found myself left behind at a light and after getting out of town at 30mph and not seeing the rest of the group in sight, pushed down the pedal about halfway and next thing I know, had to back off as the speedometer was reading 80 very quickly! A real thrill in such a big car!

Ended the day back at his home just before it started to rain again and with driving about 130 miles it ended up costing 53 bucks to refuel her @ $1.32 per L. I know... converting litres to US gallons.......

How ever you calculate it, JUST A GREAT RIDE FOR THE MONEY!

Thanks Joe for the opportunity!

Doug

BCA# 35039

post-36036-143139214064_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139214034_thumb.jpg

Drove my 55 sunliner to a mostly hotrod show today.

I did my semi-annual "I couldn't go the Hershey this year" trip to a local cruise @ the Big Boytoday. Out of about 400 attendees I saw a couple of really nice cars ('58 Eldorado Brougham, mint '63 Avanti & '69 Mach 1 428), but mostly it was a rat-rod convention. The two MG's and I (Triumph) were not among the treasured guests.:o:D

Even though it's kinda overcast and gray this morning here in Southern Connecticut, I am still thinking it'd be fun to make at least a quick run (possibly with my gnarly '69 Bug Convertible) out to the East Haven Police Department Local's 4th Annual Car Show at EH High School. They had postponed it from last Sunday due to the weather, and so today is the "rain date," and from a broadcast email I received yesterday from an EHPD rep connected with the show, the event is indeed "on" for today!

Just returned from Hershey and put more than 970 miles on the 1941 Cadillac. Took the scenic routes off the highways whenever possible and it was totally worth it. Rain last night on the last leg home, but otherwise a great drive. And the '41 Cadillac with Hydra-Matic is unquestionably an excellent choice in collector cars if you want to just drive. Automatic transmission, strong brakes, great headlights, truly a no-compromises old car. When needed, it hammers along the interstate at 65 MPH without complaint, blasted over the mountains without slowing down, and never got hot even on some of those long climbs. Never once did I question its reliability, even when we woke up with frost on the car. Just hit the button and it's running.

You guys just don't understand what a very big deal this is for me. Growing up, getting stranded on every local drive (never mind a 1000-mile road trip) was expected and happened all the time. Having old cars that don't break down is a lifetime first experience for me. These two Cadillacs have turned out to be the finest old cars I could ever hope to own.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Had her out for most of the day (yesterday, I'm a bit late) and enjoyed some low key cruising with a friend and then wandering around the streets in search of food. While parked outside a coffee shop that we were seated on the sidewalk in front of, I observed a guy in a newer BMW park behind my car and then proceed to conduct a photo shoot of my car with his smartphone for about 4 minutes before going about his business. When he came back by he took another group of detailed shots of the car. It was nice to see what goes on when I'm not around since I usually park it and leave it.

Yesterday was a nice sunny day so I used my F1 to run some errants before meeting a friend for lunch. Stopped at a lawn mower shop to pick up a tire that was being repaired. The owner saw me pull in and after paying he followed me out. He walked around asking questions and saying how it would look great with his logo on the door. Before I could leave one of his employees pulled in and was doing the same thing. Then a customer pulled in and the whole process repeated for a third time. I was beginning to think I was going to be late for lunch.

Got to lunch and was waiting in the parking lot for my friend to show up and a fellow pulled in beside me. Said he use to have a 49 and then pulled out after a quick look.

Lunch was good to :D

Tiny bit of local-area driving with the '69 Bug yesterday, enjoying some of the still-vibrant fall colors (not to mention mild temps) in our area...

post-34222-143139224813_thumb.jpg

Yep! Yesterday was a perfect day for it in East Tx. I took My 1982 Toyota Cressida to the "man Show". They Had a class for imports. But I was the only Import there, so came away witdh a little trophy!!! Ha Ha ! AT least is is in Exclennt condition, not a classic but pretty .

Yep! Yesterday was a perfect day for it in East Tx. I took My 1982 Toyota Cressida to the "man Show". They Had a class for imports. But I was the only Import there, so came away witdh a little trophy!!! Ha Ha ! AT least is is in Exclennt condition, not a classic but pretty .

Need pictures of your '82 Cressida, JJ! How kool!

In my wife's automotive past she had a '72 Carina and a '74 Celica. In my automotive past I had a rugged '81 Toyota 4x4 pickup.

We have a super-clean '99 Camry in our fleet these days, and I'm on the lookout for a clean late '90s/early '00s 4Runnner to replace my aging Passat daily driver.

Great cars! Vintage Toyotas are especially great! Don't forget to let us know where we can see a picture or two of your '82 Cressida some time!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

took m2 62 invicta vert to torrington,ct to a car show at borgeson.nice show,think there was 5 buicks there.not a lot of leaves to peek at due to the rain on friday,4 bufords from ct oh yeah john d,stopped at barkhamsted resivior and took some pictures of the 62.

It was a beautiful day today in Cincinnati, high of 78 degrees, light breeze, puffy white clouds in a blue sky, very low humidity, etc. I took the Triumph out for a 3 hour, 100 mile ride just to enjoy the day. Fortunately I live on the edge of the suburbs, and can be touring on country roads with 10 minutes of leaving my house. Many old cars are often seen doing the same thing on days like this on the route I took......I've never seen fewer antique cars on the road than I have this year, and today's complete lack of them really shocked me. Has everyone stopped driving their cars?:confused::(

Just got back from a fall leaf tour with the local British Car Club guys. We drove basically the same route, over the same roads as I did no this day in August. Saw about a 1/2 dozen antiques out enjoying the (perfect weather) day.

I guess all is not lost!:cool::)

Just got back from a fall leaf tour with the local British Car Club guys. We drove basically the same route, over the same roads as I did no this day in August. Saw about a 1/2 dozen antiques out enjoying the (perfect weather) day.

I guess all is not lost!:cool::)

Must be karma, Dave.

Only put on 93 miles on my 1972 TR6 since Hershey 2011. Put 21 miles on it today. Ran around country roads and of course up Duryea Drive to the Pagoda (Charles Duryea's test track around 1900-05 or so). Put it in the garage for the winter. Did the usual ritual of Sta-Bil, oil, inflate tires to 50 p.s.i. to prevent flat spots, anti-freeze/oil check, W-D 40 on non-painted hardware, dash pot oil, etc.

Regards,

Peter J.

Nice sunny morning, around 60° by 10:00 - slightly above normal for this time of year. Started up the '72 LTD for the first time in a month and loaded it up for a dump run. Did that and rode around town a bit. I was going to go for another ride this afternoon, but ended up raking leaves (again). I usually keep my cars somewhat active until early November, so another week or two and I'll prep them for winter. I really need to take the Buick out but it is hemmed in the garage by our new kitchen cabinets which were delivered last week. The kitchen is supposed to be done by November 1 which should still give me time to get the Buick out one more time and get it ready for winter. Haven't used either car much this year, about 300 miles on the LTD and less than 100 on the Buick.

Got tired of seeing the '53 Chevy 3100 5 window just sit, so I pulled her out yesterday and drove her home, then did some errands today. Got about 10 "thumbs up" from other motorists, had the time of my life. Of course, it's loud as hell inside the cab, handles like a garbage truck with acceleration to match, but hey, if I wanted a sterile ride, I'd have taken my Nissan pickup.

To many cars, too little time and money.

Chris

Monroe, CT

post-54863-143139226215_thumb.jpgWe are in Brenham, Texas and driving the 1937 Buick Roadmaster Phaeton on the 2012 "GREAT TEXAS TRAIL DRIVE" Glidden Tour, hosted this year by VMCCA. The opening banquet was Chuck-wagon-style, after which the Presidents of both AACA and VMCCA entered the arena in horse-drawn wagons, dignitaries and prior hosts were introduced, and the National ANTHEM WAS SUNG BY ALL IN ATTENDANCE.

We were treated to an exhibition of Barrel-Racing by several champions young and younger.

The ladies who are members of the Barrel-Racing team were on horseback, and from their horses are directing all parking operations for our cars throughout the week.

The weather is perfect, and we have a large group of Brass-Era cars driving the tour.

We are having a great time visiting with long-time friends.

Wife and I took our 48 Chevy Fleetmaster to a Santa cruise - in on Saturday. It was a nice day here, but, pretty windy. The wind bounced the car around a bit, but, she did better on the interstate than I expected. A nice pile of toys was collected for the local needy kids.

Regards:

Oldengineer

Must be karma, Dave.

Only put on 93 miles on my 1972 TR6 since Hershey 2011. Put 21 miles on it today. Ran around country roads and of course up Duryea Drive to the Pagoda (Charles Duryea's test track around 1900-05 or so). Put it in the garage for the winter. Did the usual ritual of Sta-Bil, oil, inflate tires to 50 p.s.i. to prevent flat spots, anti-freeze/oil check, W-D 40 on non-painted hardware, dash pot oil, etc.

Regards,

Peter J.

I think I told you before that in 1980 I lived directly at the base of Duryea Drive on Perkiomen. The only car I've ever driven up to the Pagoda was my then 20 year old 1960 Ford Falcon with an automatic in February. I'm afraid it was probably not quite the same experience! Neither is touring flat Ohio farm roads in a sports car.

post-30638-14313922622_thumb.gif :o

It was a beautiful day here, low 70s and sunny. I took the 57 Lincoln out for a long local cruise, it never fails to get some waves and I had two people ask me about it at stoplights. Since it is for sale I sure wish I could find a buyer before the cold weather gets here although it rarely gets bad enough here to keep from driving.

Took the corvette out for the last event of the year. It's called the frostbite cruise and the name was very accurate. Was in the fortys and windy. We stayed a few hours and went for a nice ride in the country to warm up.lol

I drove the 48 Plymouth ragtop Home from the shop for lunch. Now that I got it running and on the road. I drive it everyday it isn't threatening rain. Unfortunately there is snow in the forecast Wednesday so Monday and Tuesday will probably be my last times out this year.

post-43003-143139245182_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143139245184_thumb.jpg

I got the '71 Lesabre out yesterday and used it to do errands, then took it out this morning to go to the dump (probably should say recycling center) and more errands. Filled it with gas and some Stabil for the first time since October last year - only put 105 miles on it. Looking back at my records, that was the only time in 2011 I put gas in it so haven't used it much the last couple of years. It's pretty noisy due to te failing manifold gaskets - another story addressed in another thread here - and some other issues that make me leary of taking it any distance. Anyway, covered it up for the winter. Next weekend, it's the LTD's turn.