Do you have a collector car older than you?

michel88

Well my "Collector car" is actually a Truck of sorts... it is a 1930 Chevrolet Universal AD - Canopy Express that I jsut recently acquired in June. And the Truck has about 45 years on me.

Why ?? My Sig Says it all, also I have always been intrrigued by the antiques. The style, engineering, and history. Look at where we have gone.

Guest slikmetalfab

1947 Cadillac series 62 4dr sedan. I am primarily into cars of the 40's (years before my time).

And it is considered a "Classic" per the CCCA. Not trying to stur the pot, just saying. :D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

As mentioned in my earlier post, FIVE of our below-listed cars are older than me ---

Yet almost every time I'm out in one of them, somebody will ask:

"ARE YOU THE ORIGINAL OWNER?"

LET US ASSUME THAT I WAS FRESH OUT OF COLLEGE, 22 YEARS OLD, AND STARTING A REALLY GREAT JOB IN THE FALL OF 1913, AND I HAD JUST BOUGHT THE BRAND-NEW 1914 BUICK B-37 TOURING IN THE FALL OF 1913.

I would have to have been born in 1891, in which case I would now be age 120 - going on 121.

Now I understand that I'm quite a few pounds beyond my ideal body-weight, and the mustache may add a few years to my appearance........

How many of you get asked that same question??

Yet almost every time I'm out in one of them, somebody will ask:

"ARE YOU THE ORIGINAL OWNER?"

I would have to have been born in 1891, in which case I would now be age 120 - going on 121.

Oh man that made me smile! I get the opposite reaction, so far the most common question I get about provenance is "did your grandparents leave the car to you?" It seems I drive an "old man's car" but I'm quite content with that.

Speaking of questions about our rides... Mine is still in pieces and being put together, when my neighbors and passers by see it they alwasy stop and ask the same question: "So, What are you going to do with it ??" I can not help myself but stop and chuckle, I usually just answer "I am going to drive it when I am done", and their resopnse and blank look is " Oh"

What else am I suppose to do with it ?~? Still trying to think of a snappy comeback to throw them a curve !!

What else am I suppose to do with it ?~? Still trying to think of a snappy comeback to throw them a curve !!

Just tell them your planning on putting era tvs in the headrest and then turning it into a birdhouse. That way the birds will have something to watch. I am willing to bet you will get a lot more "Ohs" then you would think. You could make a tally. how many smart people stop as to how many accually believe you.

Tell them you're hoping the Smithsonian will want it since it was the car Abraham Lincoln rode in during his inauguration. I bet most of them wouldn't even question it.

Let's see.... a 1915 Buick... Yup, sur nuf is older than me by almost half my age. Infact, most of the collectable stuff in my yard is older than me. I just seem to have this incureable diease to save old and rusty iron. The older and rustier, the better. :P I guess I'm just a sick puppy. ;) Dandy Dave!

Well, when I was 13 years old, in 1964, I bought (uh, my father traded a .22 rifle for) a 1931 Chevrolet....valued at $25 (the cost of the rifle), and it was older than me at that point by 20 years.....

Still have that nice little tudor sedan................

And for some odd reason, it's still older than me by 20 years...

• 3 weeks later...
I've never had a "collector car" that wasn't older than I am. I was born in 51 and I did have a 34 Chevy for a few months but I've long lost interest in "new" cars and stick to brass now. I generally feel that cars been going downhill since the invention of the electric starter... That is an exaggeration and if I had the time and energy I would be tempted by many of the early 20s classics that were really big brass cars in disguise.

Like JV, I was born in 1951 and have a 34 Chevy. :D

Interesting topic - maybe another one should be started asking why you own the cars you do and how and why you acquired them? I've heard it said that most collectors are interested in the generation preceding theirs. So, if you were born in the 40s you would be mostly interested in 30s cars. I think also we tend to be fascinated with history and that would explain our fascination with the earlier cars. For a lot of us, luck enters into the picture as well. In finding a great collector car it's often a matter of good fortune that something just dropped into your lap-right place/right time. That's how I really ended up finding my Model T. The 1912 Triumph motorcycle was an answer to my fascination with early motorcycles while living in Scotland. The GTO was a second child-hood thing celebrating some of the muscle cars I grew up with. The 1935 Morris was another car that just found us. The MGs - we'll you'll have to ask Susan about those - they are hers.

Terry

Guest Gseago
Interesting topic - maybe another one should be started asking why you own the cars you do and how and why you acquired them? I've heard it said that most collectors are interested in the generation preceding theirs. So, if you were born in the 40s you would be mostly interested in 30s cars. I think also we tend to be fascinated with history and that would explain our fascination with the earlier cars. For a lot of us, luck enters into the picture as well. In finding a great collector car it's often a matter of good fortune that something just dropped into your lap-right place/right time. That's how I really ended up finding my Model T. The 1912 Triumph motorcycle was an answer to my fascination with early motorcycles while living in Scotland. The GTO was a second child-hood thing celebrating some of the muscle cars I grew up with. The 1935 Morris was another car that just found us. The MGs - we'll you'll have to ask Susan about those - they are hers.

Terry

I don't know about anyone else but I'm just an old soul. The movie Christine is what started my love of cars from the 50s and 60s, I can remember sitting in my third grade class and drawing pictures of '57 Chevys( wich is what I thought Christine was at the time) and has I got older my knowledge of classic cars grew. I chose my Riviera because my dad was always a GM man and my granddad bought nothing but Buicks as far back as I can rember. I wanted a '64 Impala for the longest time but after a while the asking price for even decent project cars started to skyrocket. Then I remembered a '71 Riviera I used to see in my town, but it was bigger than what I really wanted so I started looking at other years of the Riviera and that's when I fell in love with the 1st generation Rivieras. I'd looked for 1st gen Rivis for a while but they were always to far away from where I lived or already restored( I wanted something that I could be proud that I had restored myself). After a while I learned about Craig'slist and looked at a couple close to where a live but never had the money to buy one, I was fortunate enough to see one the was located in Ocala,FL I have family in Orlando which was a couple of hrs away and I had saved a little money up. I still didn't have anywhere near the asking price so I kept looking and the ad expired on it. A couple months later during my daily surfing on Craig'slist the gentle relisted my Rivi again and this time the price was reduced, after and couple of phone calls and emails we agreed on a price that was comfortable for us both and at the time I had a friend that was ready and willing to go check her out. So after a couple of hours driving I meet the owner, checked my future baby out and paid for her right then and there. It took a couple more wks before I got her home but she is home now safe and sound.

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

Guest danceswithpumps

Here's my oldest and first car, 1930 Dodge Brothers, and my favorite. I got this car when I was in junior high. I was born in '48.

0531121029.jpg

0531121030.jpg

Guest 36chev

Unlike many other folks, I'm really only interested in pre-war cars older than me. It just doesn't seem like cars from the 50's, 60's, and later (born in 1960) are "antiques" since I saw them as new and used cars as a kid. But that is just me. It also helped that as a kid I was really into the Matchbox of Yesteryear cars and the Corgi Classics series (still have a fairly good collection of those). If I had the $$, would own a brass era car.

I have the same feeling... Its only early cars - up to perhaps the early 20's, that I find interesting (I was born in '51). I have no nostalgic attachment to cars I remember on the road... I'm not even too interested in those that were old (but still being driven) when I was young. I don't come from a "car rich" environment so didn't grow up around people who were even interested in them, except as an appliance, so I've no 2nd generation enthusiasms. I think the nostalgia element in collecting is probably exaggerated. There are many collectors (not only of cars) that are fascinated by things they could not possibly have seen in every day use...and I've yet to see a decline in brass car prices despite the fact that virtually no one alive today ever saw one in regular use.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 51 Buick guy

I have a 1951 roadmaster sedan, I was born in 1980 but think I should have been born in the 50's as aim fascinated with that era's cars. The era of opulence and majesty.

Guest De Soto Frank

If it's newer than me, or I can remember it being a new car on the road, it can never be an "antique" or "collectible" in my mind... :rolleyes:

I have always been fascinated by Brass & Nickel-era cars, and have grown to like most cars of the 1930's and '40s...

My interest starts to fade after about 1955 or so.

I was born in 1967; when I started driving, my first car was a tired 1962 Falcon (23 years old at the time), and I kept working at getting older and older iron for daily drivers...

Have worked my way back to a '28 Ford thus far... would like to get into a Brass or Nickel car while we still have gasoline to run them with...

I have never had much interest in cars of "my" lifetime... VERY few ( if any) have tickled my fancy.

Not at present, however, born in 1963; have had a handful:

1930 Model A Ford Tudor Sedan

1939 Chevrolet Four Door Sedan

1939 Packard Four Door Sedan

1941 Plymouth Two Door Sedan

1948 Chevrolet Business Coupe

1956 Chevrolet 210 Two Door Sedan

All were in original or restored to original condition; no hot rods. I have a list of post 1963 collectible cars as well - I like certain cars from just about all eras.

Currently interested in a handful of cars, all but one were born before me...

I have read this entire thread with considerable interest. I too have a collection of cars, all of which are older than I am. I have almost no interest in cars that were popular when I was a kid, nor most of the cars that were one generation ahead of them. The one notable exception is the 1961-67 Lincolns. Personally, I am a 1964 model. My cars are a 1911 Ford Model T, a pair of 1926 Ford Model T's and a pair of 1929 Franklin 137's. I am negotiating on a 1962 Lincoln Convertible, which completes my collection...for now!

Eric

The ones older than me are;

1920 Willys Overland touring - Dad bought in 1967, I finally got to drive in 1978

1928 Overland Whippet cabriolet - Dad began restoring (resurrecting a basket case) in 1968

1951 Nash Canadian Statesman - Dad bought in 1969

1952 Ford F1 pickup - I bought locally in 1999

All are with original running drive trains (no modifications) and enjoy as many back roads as I can find.

Me, I'm a 55 model.

post-36036-143139171292_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139171295_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139171313_thumb.jpg