Maybe The End Of My Rope

nick77

I admit I am kinda new to this. I have done four cars from the sixty's which compared to this car were kid games. Four weeks ago I puchased a 1930 Chrysler 77, by all accounts a decent starter for its age. Looked good on the outside, motor running well,shifts smooth, and has most parts. But in order to drive I discovered I need two things,exhaust manifold and pressure plate.Two little things keeping me off the road, you would think I was trying to make gold from lead.I have talked to 350 people from 48 states and no help so far, yes many people refferred me to other sources but still no help. Many people suggest changing out motor and trans to something from the fiftys and solve my problem. Others say hang in there and hold out for original parts. I would like to stay original but my patience is wearing thin. Am I expecting to much to get my parts in four weeks or (still no answers) is this something I should get used to?

Still holding on Nick

post-78079-143138639984_thumb.jpg

You may have to wait a bit more. Some folks are on vacations, some folks that restore those are not on this site. The car is rather rare (boy, am I gonna catch it for saying that) so try to hang in there. The parts for these are not on any store shelf. I have some feelers out there for your parts. Bear with us a while longer and don't do anything drastic like switching engines...yet.

nick,

I don't know much about Chrysler products at all. Keiser would be the resident expert. If anybody can find your parts, he is your guy.

My father and brother were both welders and machinists. I am not either. From family experience, I would say that if no replacement parts can be found, the "unrepairable" can be repaired. It is just going to cost a lot more money than the welder thinks the job is worth. If it will keep the car on the road, it is worth more than the welder may realize.

Another option is Hershey. If the parts can be found, I would expect Hershey to be the place.

Guest Bob Call

Email these guys pictures of your clutch parts and see if they can help. Include some dimensions.

http://industrialbrakeclutch.com/

There has to be a source for a replacement clutch. I will take time to find it.

Reynolds & French have been repairing cracked castings for over 60 years primarily for the oil and gas industry. If there is no choice but repairing your manifold they are worth a try. Probably not cheap.

http://www.r-f.com/crack_repair.asp

Might ask them about the broken clutch pressure plate also since it is cast.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Whilst not an expert on the 77 I can tell you that other 6 cylinder Chrysler/Desoto and possibly Dodge models of that era share similar if not the same engine parts; so dont just limit your search to the 77 and look at younger cars up to 1934 at least.

I read about a guy in the hot rod mag that was a tempting a land speed record with a 32 Chrysler and he was re making stuff for the top speed I'm sure he took off all the good stuff to make go fast parts.the name of his shop is EDGY speed shop his name is earl edgerton I don't know if this will help but you seem to be at the end of your rope good luck on the search

Nick, good luck with it. Internet is very very helpful and has changed the hobby BUT there are still a lot of "old timers" (and not so old) who want nothing to do with it. If you haven't already I would join the Chrysler club - it may take a little time but that may be another route, especially if they publish a roster with member's cars, or have a good vendor directory. That will help you in the future also.

The only other thought is try another welder on the manifold, if it is already broken you really have nothing to lose, even if it is a temporary fix.

Good luck with it -

Ah, the joy of antique cars! One if the things that make the completed drivable old car so attractive to most of us is the fact that to get it to that stage the owner had to go through what you are experiencing. If it was easy to find parts and repair these old beauties, there would be a lot more of them driving around.

The hunt for the parts is part of the enjoyment of ownership. This is where people you know can make a big difference, as illustrated by the offers of helpful advice on this forum. The AACA is a good source and the Chrysler Club

would be more specific. Don't forget you local antique car club.

I had a friend put me onto a welder that successfully re-constructed a manifold

for me for my 35 Buick. (It's worked fine for more than 12 years now)

But, you are right it doesn't happen quickly, you'll have to get use to that.

You'll meet people who can help you and even some you can help, enjoy the process.

That exhaust manifold can be repaired by a good stitch welder. Of course, those guys are practically non existent. You should be able to replace the entire clutch/pressure plate assembly with a modern replacement. I'm running a ford truck setup on my Stutz. Unfortunately, you need someone to have already figured out the best swap or do it yourself.

That exhaust manifold can be repaired by a good stitch welder. Of course, those guys are practically non existent. You should be able to replace the entire clutch/pressure plate assembly with a modern replacement. I'm running a ford truck setup on my Stutz. Unfortunately, you need someone to have already figured out the best swap or do it yourself.

I agree with this. Give us the size of the clutch (diameter and overall thickness)and we may be able to match it up.

You should be able to replace the entire clutch/pressure plate assembly with a modern replacement.

Alsancle makes a good point here. If you go to the parts store and tell them you have a 1930 Chrysler they will immediately zone out and say they have nothing for you. But if you plop your part on the counter and ask for "one of these" you may hit on a common modern replacement. This works especially with bearings and seals too. (NOTE select a parts store with some evidence of traditional gear-headedness going on. An Auto Zone with a 20 year old may not be ready for anything not on the computer)

It IS harder than dealing with 1960s cars and that is why the guy working on something like this can earn the satisfaction (?) of being able to overcome adversity that makes his buddies with 1969 Chevys look soft and weak by comparison. Good luck, Todd C

Like KenHupp20, I recommend going the repair route with MuggyWeld.com cast iron welding rods. You need both the 77 and 72 type rods: one for dirty cast iron (and an exhaust manifold qualifies as dirty) and the other to top over the first. I've used them successfully. Get a used manifold (perhaps a marine manifold from a junk yard) to practice on, (or whoever is doing the actual welding to practice on). Read instructions carefully, you have to use a back stich method of applying the rod. They're vidoes go a long way to show the results.

Chris Wantuck

If I wanted to drive that car I would have a flanged steel exhaust "header" fabricated while I looked for the proper replacement.

The need of a pressure plate seems odd. A call to Rochester Clutch & Brake at 585-232-3717; should have that resolved in short time.

If those don't sound like good ideas let me know how much you will sell that unrepairable car for. It shouldn't be worth much but I have a little.

Bernie

Gees, I know of a straight eight Desoto, about the same vintage, not far from here in a scrap yard that still has the manifold on it. If only it were an 8, instead of a 6. Dandy Dave!

And you left the yard WITHOUT that manifold? How much of that chassis is remaining? Are there other parts that could be gotten from it. Got photos???

Hi Nick, exhaust manifolds are one of those parts that most old cars seem to need eventually. Some are available reproduction, {sometimes offered by a one make club spares service} but many are not. There are three options; wait for a usable original, replace with a fabricated manifold {tube and plate welded replacement} and finally commission a new casting. The last option is the best but of course the most expensive. There are a couple of places that advertise in Hemmings etc. You might be able to find a retired pattern maker locally who can produce a pattern at a better than the going rate price, but the casting itself will need to be done by a commercial foundry. If you go this route it usually pays to get several castings made so you can sell them to others in your predicament and so recover at least some of the cost of the pattern. You would be amazed at how many custom castings have been made for the restoration of pre-war cars over the years. If it was made originally , it can be re made today. The only obstacle is the cost. P.S. yes in my opinion you are asking too much, people often look for years for certain replacement parts. Think of every part on your Chrysler to be the equivalent of 1963 max wedge parts and you will begin to get the picture.

All the best, Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

And you left the yard WITHOUT that manifold? How much of that chassis is remaining? Are there other parts that could be gotten from it. Got photos???

You need it Keizer??? I can get it at any time. The chassies has a straight 8 still in it and the engine is stuck. From memory, it is missing the Carburetor, radiator, 3 wheels, no hood. Like Rover said, Ruff, Ruff, Ruff. Distributor has no cap and has been in the weather for many years. I'll get you photos the next time I run over there for something. Dandy Dave!

You need it Keizer??? I can get it at any time. The chassies has a straight 8 still in it and the engine is stuck. From memory, it is missing the Carburetor, radiator, 3 wheels, no hood. Like Rover said, Ruff, Ruff, Ruff. Distributor has no cap and has been in the weather for many years. I'll get you photos the next time I run over there for something. Dandy Dave!

Please check for the light switch at the base of the steering column to see if it is still there. Thanks. John

Guest De Soto Frank

Nick,

Hang in there. That looks like a nice car, and for a pre-war driver, it's hard to do better than a Chrysler product ( unless you have the $$$ for a Packard or Cadillac).

Suggest you post your needs further down this Forum in the "Chrysler" department.

Also suggest you consider joining one of the national clubs: Walter P. Chrysler Club and / or National Chrysler Products Club.

And, you will need some patience... in this age of the internet, whatever you need will turn-up.

But here's a caution - if you do find a manifold or pressure plate, don't be surprised if the price seems steep. But also consider how soon you'll find another one at more attractive price ? ( In other words, if you find it, grab it then and there... provided the parts are correct and useable).

What part of the country are you in ? There's at least two guys around here with 1930-33 Chryslers who might be able to help you locate parts...

PM me if you like.

Personally, I would love to have a 1924-31 Chrysler for a driver...

Cars of this vintage are about the search as much as anything. Start seeking out guys who own similar cars and talk to them. I've already found a great network of '29 Cadillac owners and that network seems to turn up some very rare parts. I've already found points, a distributor cap and rotor, a transmission shifter top plate, and some other "unobtainium" just by talking to guys who talk to guys who know someone. The parts are out there, and with your car there might be some easy interchangeability among other years (unlike the Cadillac, which has a 1-year-only transmission, for example).

Join the club, keep networking with guys here, and keep your eyes open on Ebay. The thrill of discovery and opening that box with the new parts in it is part of what makes this hobby so much fun.

Good luck and I love your car!

Nick,

All good advice above. Unfortunately patience is a necessity when doing anything prewar. Joining the Chrysler club is a very good idea. When I had my 28 Pierce I needed a carburetor part, struck out everywhere but a fellow club member had what I needed and sold it me very reasonably. Sometimes the part you have searched for for years just turns up on a swap meet table or in an Ebay listing, but most spare parts for really old cars are already in the hands of other old car owners so you need to seek them out. If they know the parts will be used to keep an old car from being hot-rodded they will be much more likely to let them go.

I would like to thank everyone for all your support. There's been a lot of great suggestions and leads. I'm still filtering through all the responses. Unfortunately, I have been sick the last couple days. I Will be following up in a couple days when I'm feeling better. Because of all the good advise and support, I am not giving up!

Thanks again.

Nick

I'd definitely join a Chrysler club and then try to find out if they have volunteer advisors for cars of your era. Contact those people and tell them your problem. An alternative is, if they have people who keep rosters of the different years of Chrysler, contact the one for your year and ask him for suggestions on where to find parts / advice. Clubs are great for finding networks of people who own cars just like yours. You'll need these contacts because other parts will fail eventually and once you know where to find 'em, you'll be ahead of the game.

Get to Hershey if you can, and as soon as you get there, buy a program. These list the locations of various parts dealers, and you can find them listed by make as well. Seek these people out. Wed., Thurs. and Friday are best for finding parts; Saturday is the car show (and dealers pack up). Go to the car show and see if you can find someone with your year of Chrysler, and maybe he can suggest a solution to your problems. Or give you names of people who deal in the ''older'' Chrysler parts.

That car was the first year some Chryslers products used downdraft carburetors. That is why they are hard to find. Some years ago I needed a clutch plate and went to a clutch rebuild shop to get mine rebuilt,but, they could match it up. The diameter is the easy part. They had to find one for the correct size spline. If you have the old one it should be able to be rebuilt. New springs and facing.

Alsancle makes a good point here. If you go to the parts store and tell them you have a 1930 Chrysler they will immediately zone out and say they have nothing for you. But if you plop your part on the counter and ask for "one of these" you may hit on a common modern replacement. This works especially with bearings and seals too. (NOTE select a parts store with some evidence of traditional gear-headedness going on. An Auto Zone with a 20 year old may not be ready for anything not on the computer)

It IS harder than dealing with 1960s cars and that is why the guy working on something like this can earn the satisfaction (?) of being able to overcome adversity that makes his buddies with 1969 Chevys look soft and weak by comparison. Good luck, Todd C

Tis is good advice. I needed a clutch for a 1940 Packard. Took the old one to a clutch shop and put it on the counter. The guy said" Long, number so & so, 1949 Ford truck." It was identical.

Nick, just for what it's worth, I know a man in Provost, Alberta, Canada that has small (one car size) sheds that are full of car parts to old (pre 1940's) cars. He sells the entire contents of each shed for around $2000USD, but won't ship. Last I was up there, he still had fifteen sheds. He's retired from the "old car business". Email me at: bryant@cyberport.net if you're interested.

• Like 1