bb1970

Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

We drove The Aqua Zephyr to the NC Cotton Festival Car Show in Dunn, NC this past weekend. We took home a "Best Original" class trophy, which was completely unexpected! 

20181103_111517.thumb.jpg.4dff98df962c07679841b092bf89d777.jpg

20181103_152640.thumb.jpg.4fcb1be61ac51af720b8184128be3a76.jpg

20181103_152627.thumb.jpg.5f07be3ee4bb5c3d88b4f279e7888be1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

We drove The Aqua Zephyr to the NC Cotton Festival Car Show in Dunn, NC this past weekend. We took home a "Best Original" class trophy, which was completely unexpected! 

Congrats Mike!!!

Very NICE!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

71/72 GS??  More pics!

78K all original including paint. Seems to run pretty good

953C93CA-1425-4758-BD32-926A7F835EA2.jpeg

77140B96-A75B-40CF-A141-1BBF1F7FCF3F.jpeg

C4DDDA5F-B8B9-4033-846A-F01FE861FA76.jpeg

• Like 6

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving! I am thankful for family (Including grandsons x 4), my job, and my Riviera! :-)

T-giving-Riviera-2018.thumb.jpg.1913d656dd9b1f3609826454d0707c0f.jpg+

I saw this online somewhere. I thought it was pretty cool.

i439734.jpg.37ee68ed2e58929b99731095acb95f56.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Fixing my dash in my 63. Got to get the color right

3F484CA2-367F-44C4-B9B9-8C9320477C1B.jpeg

9E813288-725B-445E-81B9-04EA0AFD1A53.jpeg

6BD8914D-16A8-448C-AE52-9CAEEBDFFC86.jpeg

Your pad looks like a frosted cake!

11 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Your pad looks like a frosted cake!

Yes Sir, it takes a lot of “cake” to get the dash look the right way. The pure white patches are fills in the missing foam rubber divots. The stuff works good.I believe I bring “ home “ the right texture and look.

Just picked this one up this weekend, having a blast tinkering and repairing.

P1070395.JPG

• Like 7

On 11/25/2018 at 9:31 PM, crowvet said:

Just picked this one up this weekend, having a blast tinkering and repairing.

P1070395.JPG

A very fine good looking automobile. Hope it all pans out for a great acquisition.

RRB

• Like 1

Thank you, hoping so... Needs a little work, but hoping I can stay in it's value range. Parts seem to be expensive and harder to find compared to what my Corvette was.

Crowvet, I would think Corvette parts readily available, but pricey. When I bought my 63 Riv it was solid, but needed some new parts. Probably not as many parts  as I put on, but I went ahead and I’m fixing the car the way I want. Things like carb rebuild, master cylinder rebuild, new brakes lines and wheel cylinders, shoes, all new upholstery from Clark’s Corvair, new radials, and the list can go on. 

‘I buy most everything I CAN GET from a gent named Gene Garnere in Philadelphia, PA. His prices are within the scope of reason. Sometimes the price is a little high and sometimes the price is a little low. One thing I will say he is reliable and has most everything you need. No one had a firewall rubber grommet for Freon hoses for my AC- Gene had the grommet for a token price of $10.00. I shopped it thinking Gene would not have it, but he did. Gene’s number is 610-359-8901. 

Good luck and have fun. If, you are not a member of the Riviera Owners Association sign up.Great folks who know Rivieras.

RRB

Daryle,

You are not the only person to think a Riviera is a great looking car and would be a joy to own only to find out that when it comes to restoring one, they're not like a Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette, for which entire cottage industries have popped up. Because of the limited numbers built to begin with, and the fact that it's taken years for them to get into the spotlight, any parts reproduced are few and far between. So we salvage what we can and learn to be creative.  There are  lot of parts that are common to other Buick models and GM cars in general.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:15 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Crowvet, I would think Corvette parts readily available, but pricey. When I bought my 63 Riv it was solid, but needed some new parts. Probably not as many parts  as I put on, but I went ahead and I’m fixing the car the way I want. Things like carb rebuild, master cylinder rebuild, new brakes lines and wheel cylinders, shoes, all new upholstery from Clark’s Corvair, new radials, and the list can go on. 

‘I buy most everything I CAN GET from a gent named Gene Garnere in Philadelphia, PA. His prices are within the scope of reason. Sometimes the price is a little high and sometimes the price is a little low. One thing I will say he is reliable and has most everything you need. No one had a firewall rubber grommet for Freon hoses for my AC- Gene had the grommet for a token price of $10.00. I shopped it thinking Gene would not have it, but he did. Gene’s number is 610-359-8901. 

Good luck and have fun. If, you are not a member of the Riviera Owners Association sign up.Great folks who know Rivieras.

RRB

Thank you for the information, The Corvette was pricey but didn't require near the research to find. I figure I need about 2 or $3000 on the minor stuff, to make it a pretty nice driver/ show and shine quality. It is the paint that is going to be the killer. But, it will get done and I am like you I will probably keep going until it is perfect. The Corvette is to the point that there is nothing more I can do, and that somewhat bores me.

On 11/28/2018 at 9:20 AM, RivNut said:

Daryle,

You are not the only person to think a Riviera is a great looking car and would be a joy to own only to find out that when it comes to restoring one, they're not like a Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette, for which entire cottage industries have popped up. Because of the limited numbers built to begin with, and the fact that it's taken years for them to get into the spotlight, any parts reproduced are few and far between. So we salvage what we can and learn to be creative.  There are  lot of parts that are common to other Buick models and GM cars in general.

Thanks Ed, I definitely am not unhappy with my purchase. This seems to be a great car, I was going to sell it for a profit, but it is possibly the nicest driving old car I have ever drove. Not a drop of wind noise or rattles..... Gotta keep it. Besides it is my two adult boys favorite car and they are pumped up as well. Really enjoying everyone here.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 7:16 PM, NC68Riviera said:

20181103_111517.thumb.jpg.4dff98df962c07679841b092bf89d777.jpg

20181103_152640.thumb.jpg.4fcb1be61ac51af720b8184128be3a76.jpg

20181103_152627.thumb.jpg.5f07be3ee4bb5c3d88b4f279e7888be1.jpg

Congrats, Car looks great.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, crowvet said:

Congrats, Car looks great.

Another outstanding recognition for the Aqua Zephyr. Good job!

RRB

5 hours ago, crowvet said:

Thank you for the information, The Corvette was pricey but didn't require near the research to find. I figure I need about 2 or $3000 on the minor stuff, to make it a pretty nice driver/ show and shine quality. It is the paint that is going to be the killer. But, it will get done and I am like you I will probably keep going until it is perfect. The Corvette is to the point that there is nothing more I can do, and that somewhat bores me.

Daryle, paint is one item I’m satisfied with how it looks on my exterior. I’m far from even being conversant on the many options on auto exterior paint. One shop just threw out a figure of $15000 to paint my car. I think the manager of the shop wanted to get rid of me. Fifteen thousand just seems like a lot of money for a paint job.

RRB

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Another outstanding recognition for the Aqua Zephyr. Good job!

RRB

Daryle, paint is one item I’m satisfied with how it looks on my exterior. I’m far from even being conversant on the many options on auto exterior paint. One shop just threw out a figure of $15000 to paint my car. I think the manager of the shop wanted to get rid of me. Fifteen thousand just seems like a lot of money for a paint job.

RRB

I paid 10,000 on my Corvette in 2005. And I thought that was a lot. I did get a lot for that money though. It was totally stripped inside and out. I am not taking the Riviera to that level, I simply want the minor body work it needs and a respray. More of a car to enjoy and not be so picky with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

It’s been many years since I had a Corvette in the fleet

Collectors dream come true.

Those vogues are just royalty on the convertible. 

Whats new on your boat tail?

16 hours ago, PWB said:

Collectors dream come true.

Those vogues are just royalty on the convertible. 

Whats new on your boat tail?

The boat tail is tucked in for the winter up north. I’m enjoying the convertible in Florida for now

81EF0907-7744-4718-813C-FC79E035F85E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

The boat tail is tucked in for the winter up north. I’m enjoying the convertible in Florida for now

Simply supreme.

I can remember having a helluva time trying to find the chrome wheels (rash free) in the 90's!

Never did happen :(

Edited by PWB (see edit history)