Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:31 PM, mcmasterson said:

The paint code is LL

Rare paint color for '68 Riv's

Medium Teal Blue Mist  973 1.97%

One of 973! I met a guy on FB who inherited his fathers 68 Riv with Medium Teal Blue Mist paint. His came with the black vinyl top.

It's an interesting color. It can look turquoise, gray or blue depending on the lighting the car is in.

Can you tell if the spare tire well was also repainted or if it still has the original paint? If original, how close is the repaint to the original color?

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

On 4/4/2020 at 7:26 PM, crowvet said:

Rivman, The grits I was referring to was the grit of the buffing compounds, not sandpaper. Yeah it would not of handled a sanding. I have primer showing through in some areas and some spot painting. But for what it is it turned out looking pretty good.

Copy that. It sounds like you know what you are doing.

It does look good in the picture, that's for sure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Seen on Instagram. Obviously this is NOT The Aqua Zephyr. 

Now, I have to ask you, what idiot puts opera / port hole windows in the C pillars of a '68 Riviera? 

Does not appeal to me on a Riv.

They were all the rage in the '70's. Vans were the biggest victims.

I think JC Whitney sold kits for awhile.

Pimp my ride. 

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:39 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

Rare paint color for '68 Riv's

Medium Teal Blue Mist  973 1.97%

One of 973! I met a guy on FB who inherited his fathers 68 Riv with Medium Teal Blue Mist paint. His came with the black vinyl top.

It's an interesting color. It can look turquoise, gray or blue depending on the lighting the car is in.

Can you tell if the spare tire well was also repainted or if it still has the original paint? If original, how close is the repaint to the original color?

Yeah I have mostly red vehicles and thought the blue looked pretty cool.  Didn't realize it was that rare of a color until after i agreed to buy it.  I honestly haven't done much digging in the trunk yet. I did see it had the trunk release button in the glove box, although its not working.  So will have to try to repair that.   Just got it out a couple weeks ago for the first time as I bought it just when snow was flying so didnt get it up to my shop to take a good look at it.  Ill take a look and let you know. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 1:37 PM, mcmasterson said:

Sure, here it is.  I ran through it awhile ago using bits and pieces I found online

1586453512308.jpg

Wow, this is a VERY early production '68! The number "9" on the right edge stands for "September" build month.

Your cowl tag should have a "09" and a letter corresponding to the week in September 67 your car was built. A=Week 1, B=Week 2, C=Week 3, D=Week 4.

The last 4 digits of the VIN say your car was the 6,153rd vehicle built at that assembly plant.

691 is "Blue" interior

"LL" is Medium Teal Blue Mist upper and lower body with no vinyl roof covering

"D065" is 430 engine built on the 65th day of the counting period (March 6th, 1967 if my calculation is correct)

Is the engine stamped with a "PD" in the Driver side rear head above the rear opening above the exhaust manifold?

A 1967 model year 430 should be stamped "MD 0R ND" on the passenger side front engine head above the exhaust manifold.

"BT258" is the ST400 built on the 258th day of the counting period (September 15, 1967 if my calculation is correct)

"257" are the major installed options: 2=Air Conditioning; 5=Radio (AM/FM Stereo); 7=Power Windows

The purchasers address is in Campbell, CA.

Nice ride! I look forward to seeing more of it this year!

2 hours ago, mcmasterson said:

Yeah I have mostly red vehicles and thought the blue looked pretty cool.  Didn't realize it was that rare of a color until after i agreed to buy it.  I honestly haven't done much digging in the trunk yet. I did see it had the trunk release button in the glove box, although its not working.  So will have to try to repair that.   Just got it out a couple weeks ago for the first time as I bought it just when snow was flying so didnt get it up to my shop to take a good look at it.  Ill take a look and let you know. 

The trunk release is one of my favorite options. The noise it makes...so simple...so pure! Hehehehe.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Wow, this is a VERY early production '68! The number "9" on the right edge stands for "September" build month.

Your cowl tag should have a "09" and a letter corresponding to the week in September 67 your car was built. A=Week 1, B=Week 2, C=Week 3, D=Week 4.

The last 4 digits of the VIN say your car was the 6,153rd vehicle built at that assembly plant.

691 is "Blue" interior

"LL" is Medium Teal Blue Mist upper and lower body with no vinyl roof covering

"D065" is 430 engine built on the 65th day of the counting period (March 6th, 1967 if my calculation is correct) Is the engine stamped with a "PD" in the Driver side rear head above the rear opening above the exhaust manifold?

A 1967 model year 430 should be stamped "MD 0R ND" on the passenger side front engine head above the exhaust manifold.

"BT258" is the ST400 built on the 258th day of the counting period (September 15, 1967 if my calculation is correct)

"257" are the major installed options: 2=Air Conditioning; 5=Radio (AM/FM Stereo); 7=Power Windows

The purchasers address is in Campbell, CA.

Nice ride! I look forward to seeing more of it this year!

Thanks for the write up.  The guy i purchased it from mentioned that it was something like a first run showroom floor model or something like that.   Can't recall the exact term he used.  The body plate has 09A, so must be week 1. then.   ill look for the "PD" stamp tonight.  

4 minutes ago, mcmasterson said:

Thanks for the write up.  The guy i purchased it from mentioned that it was something like a first run showroom floor model or something like that.   Can't recall the exact term he used.  The body plate has 09A, so must be week 1. then.   ill look for the "PD" stamp tonight.  

Interesting the cowl tag is 09A when the tranny was completed the following week. Interesting...

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood today so I unwrapped (literally) The Aqua Zephyr and took her our for the first time since New Year's Day. 

I knew better than to take pictures of her when the sun is at its highest in the sky and most intense. The color of the car in the pictures always suffers. A polarizing filter did help a little though. 

_MAS2400.thumb.JPG.13cb4cd92e6d932828a61018582ef7f8.JPG

_MAS2442.thumb.JPG.b1df81b79869e1a7b1cf9cf9215d711d.JPG

_MAS2482.thumb.JPG.1e1f11ef44c67dd2e2a5d1796b9b931d.JPG

_MAS2488.thumb.JPG.bc8545eba11db6632e3a886d874453d9.JPG

_MAS2544.thumb.JPG.05f2dc39b541a3d4e180903e372c615a.JPG

_MAS2557.thumb.JPG.c147ee780b2abfb61753f7d1fe787654.JPG

_MAS2508.thumb.JPG.208fc07e343f806c1981529e83b3ad6b.JPG

• Like 8

On 4/6/2020 at 7:30 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

RHD '65 Riviera seen in London recently. (pics from Instagram) 

20200406_102928.thumb.jpg.81dcafc1d5d617f7aa7231068b372768.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-102903_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a82aa82e6506488dbe58fa6d2767af96.jpg

That's pretty cool seeing a '65 Riviera rolling around London, UK!  In my few visits there I never ever saw one.  This one has Gran Sport badging, so if original making it even more rare. 

Driving a 60's American car in the UK is a challenge as most streets and country lanes are VERY narrow. I'm curious if the exhaust in this car is routed out the hole in front of the rear tire?  Never seen that done before, it kind of gives a semi-sidepipe look...  The tangerine color is not original, but looks good!

These cars were imported into Britain when new.  The RH drive conversion was mandatory, and was done by several companies back in the day. I think the cost of conversion added about 50% to the car's list price, so this was by no means cheap!  So, owning a '65 Riviera in the UK meant you had some serious cash at your disposal.  I wonder what the history is behind this Riv?  I could well have been imported/owned by a celebrity, or wealthy person of some sort.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 10:28 PM, anestech* said:

Took her out today after a couple months down time fixing coolant, oil, and ps leaks.

38779626-8C09-483C-B27A-4AEFD7759E81.jpeg

3A95FC87-5707-43C6-98E6-01D729CB431B.jpeg

F359A068-E284-4F11-A6B9-F9103D6B0DBF.jpeg

Maybe I've asked this before, but what blue color is that?  Mine is a flat blue but it was painted before I got the car and I don't have any paint codes.  The shade of our two cars looks similar.  I've been told mine is a Toyota blue color, but that's as much as I know.

1 hour ago, Hazdaz said:

Maybe I've asked this before, but what blue color is that?  Mine is a flat blue but it was painted before I got the car and I don't have any paint codes.  The shade of our two cars looks similar.  I've been told mine is a Toyota blue color, but that's as much as I know.

Your local automotive paint jobber should have a spectrophotometer that can analyze the color for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Your local automotive paint jobber should have a spectrophotometer that can analyze the color for you.

I know Home Depot and Lowes has those, but never assumed that automotive paint places would.  Not sure why I assumed that.  I'll have to find a local PPG or HoC guy around here. 

7 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

i don’t know the names, but both the silver and the blue are both corvette colors per the previous owner.  He gave me a pint of each, but not labeled other than a drop on the lid

• Like 1

Ahh! The good old days.   I'm glad I'm not trying to get into the hobby now. 

In 1982, I bought my '63 for $1900 and drove it for 17 years as my daily driver.  Back then, it was just a 19 year old used car.  Google says that converts to about $5,080 in 2020. Just think what $5K to $6K will buy you in a 1st generation today.  I bought my '64 in 2005 for $1800. Drove it anywhere anytime until I decided to go through it. It's ready for paint and interior.  In 2016, I  bought my '65 Gran Sport for...... I won't tell you because you wouldn't believe me.  Bought it from a guy who needed money to finish the rebuild of his 429 Cobra Jet for his Cougar convertible. 😁 It's now a shell with the engine on a stand and everything else in boxes and on shelves. But it's been inventoried and it's complete and numbers matching.  Now I need the holy trinity for restorations: Time, talent, and treasure. With me it's usually only two of the three.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Didn't want to start a new post and most every one reads this one so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The May/June Riview was in my mailbox today; yours should be there soon.  Keep your eyes peeled. Rick Kozycki's red '68 is on the front cover; Gary Shank's 85 is on the back cover.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Didn't want to start a new post and most every one reads this one so I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The May/June Riview was in my mailbox today; yours should be there soon.  Keep your eyes peeled. Rick Kozycki's red '68 is on the front cover; Gary Shank's 85 is on the back cover.

Yep, got mine yesterday 👍

• Like 2