Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

Hi all, new owner and new ROA member here!  Been researching here for a while and you guys and gals are truly a wealth of knowledge!  Looking forward to learning more, and meeting anyone in the Las Vegas area.  Here is a pic of my wife in our 64.  🍻 

F22C80CC-4577-4B78-AFC7-BE819C88F627.jpeg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, anestech* said:

Hi all, new owner and new ROA member here!  Been researching here for a while and you guys and gals are truly a wealth of knowledge!  Looking forward to learning more, and meeting anyone in the Las Vegas area.  Here is a pic of my wife in our 64.  🍻 

F22C80CC-4577-4B78-AFC7-BE819C88F627.jpeg

Welcome to the ROA and the forum. Very nice looking Riv! Congrats on the purchase.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:40 PM, NC1968Riviera said:

Riviera collage. Snapshots of The Aqua Zephyr in Gettysburg, PA, June 2019 at the Riviera Owners Association annual meet car show.

IMG_20191011_050211.thumb.jpg.b0dba1bb1acafbaf5f7f23d2edad6fa4.jpg

Great collage Mike!

You even caught a shot of me in the background ...

1683113372_IMG_20191011_050211.jpg.f4f717bc2c929fd26758ddafa1a23152(2)-2.jpg.4729ad14d11e0defb54e85b65acf732b.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 68KERR said:

1968 Riviera, Washington Illinois 

C2978DE6-3C41-418F-AD80-0B9B550D4DD7.jpeg

Wow, she's a beauty!

I visited Scott Air Force Base a couple of years ago and the surrounding territory looks exactly like your picture background! Cornfields in every direction!

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

Purchased my first Riv this summer. I really wasn't planning on buying another Buick, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Especially when I looked under and inside it and it turned out to be original and pristine. I need to do more research on this car because it is hard to believe it spent its life in Ontario. The used car buyers package only went as far as 1986 (as well as the UCDA car report) when it was registered in Ontario. It is fun to drive... rides fantastic, tons of power with that big motor and 3.42 gears. Unfortunately with winter coming I will have to put it away sooner than I would like. This weekend may be the last time I can take her out for a rip for the year.

riv2.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CanadianWildcat said:

Purchased my first Riv this summer. I really wasn't planning on buying another Buick, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. Especially when I looked under and inside it and it turned out to be original and pristine. I need to do more research on this car because it is hard to believe it spent its life in Ontario. The used car buyers package only went as far as 1986 (as well as the UCDA car report) when it was registered in Ontario. It is fun to drive... rides fantastic, tons of power with that big motor and 3.42 gears. Unfortunately with winter coming I will have to put it away sooner than I would like. This weekend may be the last time I can take her out for a rip for the year.

Congrats on the 70 Riv purchase. It will be interesting to hear more about what you discover about your car. It's a great color too. It is the original color?

If you haven't already done so, please consider joining the Riviera Owners Assn. www.rivowners.org. You can join using the membership link on the home page. You will be glad you joined.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanadianWildcat said:

Yes that is the original colour... which really drew me to the car. It is one of the few cars that I have gone to look at that looked better in person than in photos.

Next years ROA meet is in Kalamazoo, Michigan next June. Maybe you will can attend with your new member of your car family.

16 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Next years ROA meet is in Kalamazoo, Michigan next June. Maybe you will can attend with your new member of your car family.

And it’ll be the 50 year celebration for the 1970. Take some good photos because we might need a mascot for the tee shirt 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 11:40 AM, anestech* said:

I like the 2 tone. Surprised you're still able to run wide ovals like that. They haven't been made since the late 70's?

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

They may have made a comeback (if theres a size you can live with here).

https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-wide-oval-raised-white-letter.html

Somehow or another Coker Tires got a waiver from dating their tires.  You never know how long it may have been sitting on the shelf. Caveat Emptor 

1st generation Rivieras never came with raised white letter or raised white outline tires.  In 65 you could get a triple white.  63 and 64 were either blackwell (very few) or white sidewalls - somewhere around 1-1/4" in width

That is a double edged sword. Coker probably does you a favor by leaving that off (if they still do), as the way public opinion is swinging these days, you probably wont be able to get a flat fixed anymore even for a showcar. People tell themselves age doesn't matter on a bias tire (nonsense IMHO), but probably won't be able to convince the guy at the tire store of that when their tire is flat. The guy at the tire store has probably never worked on a bias ply tire.

As you say though, caveat emptor. Some tire vendors will try to pass off tires as new that have been in the warehouse too long.

I have heard Coker date codes everything now. I have not bought any recently so I cannot confirm.

I don't really buy into the date code stuff. It's great for tire companies, and not so great for restorers who might have to band together to get a run of some particular tire, and then maybe never see it produced again. Replacement every 6 years would be a fantasy for something like 35x4-1/2. Tire rot is highly variable based on storage, climate, and the initial quality of the tire. IMHO use common sense about the age, inspect tires often, and check the pressure!

As for the wide ovals, yes I know those weren't original equipment on first generation Rivieras. I figured the car in the picture might have been wearing recent reproductions rather than decades old tires. The available sizes go only to G70-15.

On a show car that's trailered to and from the event, the age of the tire probably doesn't matter. But if you're driving to the event then home again is when you need to have newer tires on the car.  I would imagine that most Coker tires are used for the former, not the latter. (Hope so anyway.)

1 hour ago, steelman said:

Welcome back. Those inlays in the doors came out nice.

1 hour ago, anestech* said:

Beautiful!  Wheel and tires specs please!

Thanks, won't be back for long, just thought I'd show the guys that remember the car from a few years ago what it came out to be.  Finished up the engine compartment, interior, trunk (nice and easy to do a custom upholstery job back there, took all of a day to go from stock to what it is), and the rest of the outside this year.  Been driving it a lot.  For those that have asked (I got a lot of private messages after I "left" the forum) about the wheels and tires, they are:

Ridler 695s in chrome

20x8.5 on front with 4.75" backspace

20x10 on back with 5.5" backspace

245/35R20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on the front.

275/30R20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on the rear.

I have 5/16" wheel spacers and longer studs on the front of the car.  These wheels WILL clear your stock hubs, but will rub your frame at full lock without the wheel spacers.

I ended up lowering the car a bit more, it's about 4" in back and 3.5" in front.  This was done by simply cutting the springs, and running KYB shocks.  Car drives great for being "slammed".

Few more pics:

after2.jpg

cd36.png

riviera14.jpg

riv11.jpg

riv12.jpg

riv13.jpg

riv14.jpg

• Like 5

Didn't know that about the wide ovals, interesting. I've got a set of Kelsey-Hayes "Stripper" wheels going on my 64, they'd look boss. I'm always on the lookout for square shoulder bias ply looking radials though. I want the look and the performance both.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:13 AM, jsgun said:

What a knock out. What did you use for the door inserts? Looks like pearloid?

Thanks for the compliment.  The inserts are panels I made from lexan, then had my buddy hydro-dip with a black burlwood pattern laid over red paint.  I've done lots of car parts with hydrodipping, here's some pics of those panels and the door inserts and center stack I did in silverwood for my Mach 1.

woodgrain.png

woodgrain1.png

woodgrain2.png

woodgrain3.jpg

woodgrain4.jpg

woodgrain5.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My wife wasn't very happy with me for selling the '63 Rivi a couple of years ago and since I finished the Pontiac-powered C10 build a couple of months ago in time for SEMA, this '64 showed up to my shop. It needs some work, but should be worth saving. It appears to have been originally a NorCal car that left the state and eventually ended up in Illinois. Going to build it for the wife. First step after finding the seat belts she wanted is rebuild the front and rear suspensions, and put it on air as she requested.

Vins_64 Rivi.jpg

Emily_Photoshoot1.jpg

• Like 3

The fall colors are as good as they're going to get here in central North Carolina. (this area isn't known for vibrant fall colors). 

I took The Aqua Zephyr out to catch a little of the best colors currently on display. 

20191124_172218.thumb.jpg.25aaa5637a122403ffebe4d453ddb05a.jpg

20191124160922.thumb.JPG.2ccdcb4ca52bc70520150631ec962405.JPG

20191124160947.thumb.JPG.cb1901c674abe4ef90eefa06d7f18c7e.JPG

20191124143412.thumb.JPG.d994839882ea1d0f61364a26c597cb83.JPG

20191124142342.JPG

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...