TESLA

bobg1951chevy

Am I the only one that got the humorous intention of this post? May need to tie this post back to the Flying Car post. I just wonder how this will affect the future of space based sci fi movies.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Hope he has a LONG extension cord!

It has a longer range (630 miles) than any gas (petrol) powered car. AND its faster, ridiculously faster than any super/hyper car.

Very impressive specs.

2 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Am I the only one that got the humorous intention of this post? May need to tie this post back to the Flying Car post. I just wonder how this will affect the future of space based sci fi movies.

The guy has a weird sense of humor who launched that into space. I guess he had to put something in the payload module to prove the rocket could do some heavy lifting. More interesting than a pallet of rocks, I guess. He´s missing a bet, though. He should have wired up the speedometer to display speed relative to earth and have a Tesla site where you could look at the current readout as it heads towards Mars, etc. No idea of the velocity, but must be humming along at a record speed for a car.

• Like 1

I can give you an idea of the velocity. It would have had to hit escape velocity. Something just slighter more than about seventeen thousand (17,000) mph. Hope that helps ! Yes , the humor that surrounds this "outta this world" stunt is quite refreshing. I don't think I have been so amused by space oddity high jinks since the alien made pyramids were "discovered" on Mars. The aliens even had built a huge face so we could see what THEY had looked like , when WE finally got there. They preferred Mars to Earth , although the most astute of the "face freaks" here , believe they are among us. I better go check that one out.      - Carl 

3 hours ago, Stude Light said:

This is not the first car in space. The Star Trek crew found a early ford pick up with a man driving it in space in one of their episodes.

• Like 1

My question about Tesla cars and the likes is how long will the batteries last, how long will replacements of the proper battery design be available and if available for year to come then how much will replacement batteries cost.

Or is this another planned absolescence scam.  

The makeup of gas has changed over the years, but after more then 100 years we can still run our cars on todays gas.  In 100 years will you still be able to find batteries for your 100 year old antique Tesla.

12 minutes ago, Vila said:

My question about Tesla cars and the likes is how long will the batteries last, how long will replacements of the proper battery design be available and if available for year to come then how much will replacement batteries cost.

Or is this another planned absolescence scam.  

The makeup of gas has changed over the years, but after more then 100 years we can still run our cars on todays gas.  In 100 years will you still be able to find batteries for your 100 year old antique Tesla.

We've had batteries for more than 150 years and as long as we wish to 'move' then there will be batteries for many more years to come. The shape and chemistry may change, but in the end, it just supplies electrons.

As EV productions increase, I am sure there will be after market suppliers of the batteries for them.

Don't under estimate the progress of technology.

Well there IS a new Tesla sports car roadster "on the horizon" so to say, so your comment could be misinterpreted.  However, I do appreciate the humor ( took me a little while to get it too).  Sometimes I just overthink the obvious.

• Like 1

I would prefer the Lotus that the Tesla sports car is based on.  Current and past owner of several Lotus automobiles, not a Tesla in sight.  All my Lotus cars added up cost less than a single Tesla and both of my present Lotus cars have risen quite a bit in value since I purchased them.  Tesla roadster production ended when the supply of Lotus produced chassis ran out. Tesla chose to buy the best chassis it could for its roadster,...Lotus. Over 30,000 Lotus Elise cars produced {base chassis for Tesla roadster}  2500 Tesla roadsters produced.  Unfortunately I can not currently afford either Gasoline or Electric version.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Hey , no Bob. Anyone who was aware of the launch would have immediately "got it " , and became quite amused by your humor. I got a good laugh out of it. Not everyone is following space news. But this , and John's light year musings brings up a "True Antique car in space" quiz. There is a real answer , I do know it , has profound implications. Here is the question : How much energy would it take to send a 3000 pound Brass Era car - gas tank empty , no occupants , no life support - round trip to a nearby star , with a total elapsed time of 100 Earth years ? I will take the winner (let's say the first answer within 25%) , and her/his immediate family out to dinner the next time our paths cross.                         Good luck , spaced out ,             - Cadillac Carl 

• Like 1

Yes batteries have been around for quite a long time and yes I have a camera made in the 1970s and a portable radio made in the 1950s and batteries are no longer made for either one.

When is the last time you bought one of these 75 Volt Number 437 Eveready batteries for your antique radio?

5a7ce5acdab22_ScreenShot2018-02-08at7_02_40PM.png.5f339b2ebd185b1fc5344081d8ec33b7.png

16 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Hey , no Bob. Anyone who was aware of the launch would have immediately "got it " , and became quite amused by your humor. I got a good laugh out of it. Not everyone is following space news. But this , and John's light year musings brings up a "True Antique car in space" quiz. There is a real answer , I do know it , has profound implications. Here is the question : How much energy would it take to send a 3000 pound Brass Era car - gas tank empty , no occupants , no life support - round trip to a nearby star , with a total elapsed time of 100 Earth years ? I will take the winner (let's say the first answer within 25%) , and her/his immediate family out to dinner the next time our paths cross.                         Good luck , spaced out ,             - Cadillac Carl 

Carl, if anything can make a return trip to a nearby Star in 100 years the energy required would be beyond calculating. Unless that star is our own sun. The distance to Alpha Centari is 4.3 light years , the brass car would have to be traveling almost 1/10  the speed of light to make the round trip in 100 year, roughly 67 Million MPH.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Carl, if anything can make a return trip to a nearby Star in 100 years the energy required would be beyond calculating. Unless that star is our own sun. The distance to Alpha Centari is 4.3 light years , the brass car would have to be traveling almost 1/40  the speed of light to make the round trip in 100 year

Greg in Canada

So that would be approximately 7.5 million miles per hour. I thought the Tesla was traveling approximately 26,000 miles per hour. So it would take more energy to attain that speed than all the rockets Musk has or hopes to have, right? 

Dave S 

Mmmmmmmmmm , Greg , hmmmmmm , yes. As I mentioned , I am a little spaced out today. No , of course I am referring to an interstellar voyage. Sun excluded. It IS calculable , it is mere physics , do the math. But you are in a sense , getting a ballpark idea. We lucky ears who heard a lecture by a Project S.E.T.I. Director some years ago , were astounded by the answer ! Hurry guys and gals ! By and by Joe may pop in. I believe Joe is a rocket engineer. From the very high intellect floating around here , he may not be the only one !   - CC

Quite correct , Dave. More energy than even Musk will ever be able to harness. No amount of rockets could do it. And how would you structure the trajectory to 'round the horn to come home. Course corrections and deceleration for landing need to be factored. We are talking tourism here. Maybe E. Musk can find a habitable host planet , and not have to ever deal with Earthly concerns again. No wormholes need be invoked , although I will address that after the physics reveal the required energy.   - CC

25 minutes ago, Vila said:

Yes batteries have been around for quite a long time and yes I have a camera made in the 1970s and a portable radio made in the 1950s and batteries are no longer made for either one.

When is the last time you bought one of these 75 Volt Number 437 Eveready batteries for your antique radio?

5a7ce5acdab22_ScreenShot2018-02-08at7_02_40PM.png.5f339b2ebd185b1fc5344081d8ec33b7.png

Hook up 6 of these in series and Bob's your uncle. Not sure how long he will be your uncle but it will work...:)

954ea8dc-f048-4354-9d5d-b61802a6145c_1.fbf008f355506153430bf8a775519304.jpeg.1cd54dbe96e965be5e39f58656b4be6c.jpeg

Edited by maok
added pic (see edit history)

Carl. Not sure if I’m on right track but if I use the formula for KE — KE=1/2mv2 

i would get 1500x56192000000= 

8.462e26 

not a mathematician or a rocket scientist so I will let it go to those that know what they are doing. 

It was fun, I think  

Dave S 

43 minutes ago, Stude Light said:

Thinking about it now, we did send three electric cars to the moon.

Check out the history of the Electrovair, an electric battery powered Corvair in the mid-1960s.  It was a test car for the technology used in the lunar rover vehicles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maok said:

It has a longer range (630 miles) than any gas (petrol) powered car. AND its faster, ridiculously faster than any super/hyper car.

Very impressive specs.

Does a plug-in hybrid count as a gas (petrol) powered car? If so, the advertised range on my new Prius Prime is 640 miles.

The Prime is ridiculously slower than any super/hyper car though. :)

2 hours ago, jeff_a said:

The guy has a weird sense of humor who launched that into space. I guess he had to put something in the payload module to prove the rocket could do some heavy lifting. More interesting than a pallet of rocks, I guess. He´s missing a bet, though. He should have wired up the speedometer to display speed relative to earth and have a Tesla site where you could look at the current readout as it heads towards Mars, etc. No idea of the velocity, but must be humming along at a record speed for a car.

The console display shows the words "Don't Panic" instead of the Earth relative speed. I am pretty sure that is a nod to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy even though I've not read anything in the press about it.

58 minutes ago, Stude Light said:

Thinking about it now, we did send three electric cars to the moon.

That was more than 25 years ago. I guess if you could get them to a car show the AACA would recognize them.

• Like 1

Wow , Dave ! Hey , I am very impressed. Very , VERY impressed. I have never thrown down this gauntlet before , so you and Greg have shown me I need to be more specific , and give you guys the "yardstick" , the quanta , by which one must measure the energy. The unit of energy measurement which makes sense to us lay men and ladies , is called a "Total Earth Energy Output Year , at present rate of consumption. All the ships , trucks , cars , airplanes , etc. yearly motion combined. Every meal cooked. Every climate controlled interior. Every elevator , escalator , electric motor , diesel industrial application. Every illumination from candles to arc lighting. Entertainment. Servers. Battery powered appliances. Hydro power , etc. , etc. , etc. , etc. , and on and on and on. All power. ALL of it ! TOTAL EARTH ENERGY OUTPUT YEARS AT PRESENT RATE OF CONSUMPTION. TOTAL. So let's say we want to hop aboard an express to take a vacation to tau Ceti f. That is 12 light years away. Accelerate outbound , braking deceleration , and maybe hang out long enough to make a reasonable facsimile of our Earthly mugs. All aboard ! Let's head back. Accelerate , decelerate , home sweet home ! Of course we are a little older , but what a story to tell our young progeny , they not having been born way back at liftoff. Again , let's just figure the energy for the HCCA sanctioned single Brass vehicle transport portion of the trip. We must pay OUR freight , plus life support. That will cost more , let's just quantify HCCA's obligation. I'm pretty sure we can all take care of ourselves. Right ? Whaddaya say ? 1 365th of a total Earth energy output year at present rates of consumption ? Could you muster up and concentrate that much energy ? Not likely. But , I am here to tell you it is more than even THAT !  1 52nd ? More ! 1 12th ? Nope. It is even more than 1/4 of a total Earth energy output year at present rate of consumption. Should we just leave it at that for the moment ? I started something here before having to take off (sorry) , for the early evening. I cancelled in order to have time to do justice to what I proposed. O.K. I'll stick around. I hope Joe doesn't burst the suspense bubble growing here prematurely. If things bog down I may have to alert him by P.M. Chicken , beef , seafood , or vegan ? I am certain the dinner table banter will be interesting and stimulating , from soup to nuts. Just like the unending fun when old car enthusiasts socialize. I look foreward to meeting the winner ! I sincerely hope she or he has a 3000 pound brass car !       - Carl

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)

Sorry , Dave. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. The energy requirements for sending mass interstellar distances within a lifetime are more than any society would dedicate. And that even assumes one could concentrate and package that energy. Which is preposterous. That is why we are not including the energy requirements for transporting the fuel. Even for such a high priority payload as the 3000 pound Brass car. 

You must have some way to express this amount of energy in an understandable format. Let's pick a meaningful, easy to picture and compare , unit of measure. Why not express it as a fraction , or multiple , of : ALL the energy used for all purposes by all of Earths inhabitants and societies during the course of one year. THAT amount is a TOTAL EARTH ENERGY OUTPUT YEAR AT PRESENT RATE OF CONSUMPTION.

How many , or what piece of all that GO POWER would be needed to visit a planet around a nearby star ? Lets say a round trip of one hundred years , with a little R&R time. You know , maybe have a barbecue with the E.T.s who have been just "Sitting 'round and waiting for some us folks to drop in". But we will just consider the energy required to send the dry weight of the Brass car we will ride in.

READING BEYOND THIS POINT IS UNNECESSARY. MERELY SOMEWHAT RELEVANT RAMBLINGS. THE ABOVE SHOULD SERVE TO SIMPLIFY THE BRASS CAR TO A NEARBY STAR PROPOSITION.

E. Musk is capable now of hurling a small payload to a nearby star , one way. After reaching escape velocity from the solar system , I would think he could get there in just a very few tens of thousands of years. Maybe just simply ten thousand years. Pack a VERY large lunch.

We can accelerate inconceivably small amounts of matter , protons , to astonishingly close to the speed of light. CERN does it. But MAN does that take some energy. Of that , more later. The high piston speeds in a Brass car are insignificant to the discussion here. Just gotta keep this relevant to antique cars. I wouldn't want to bore everyone.

It would even take astonishing amounts of energy to send massless particles interstellar distances. Let's say a civilization wants to watch the broadcast of Super Bowl 53 , while we are watching Super Bowl 100 live. We better get right on the technical task to build a transmitter powerful enough to get a signal there. I think maybe 150,000 - 200,000 megawatts could pull the DX. I don't know. Maybe a quarter of a million - 300,000 megawatts. I don't really know for sure. I could be WAY wrong. This is just a very slightly educated guess. Anyway , it could require a significant percentage of the grid capacity of the entire U.S. Way out there , 47 light years away , they will NOT get to see the Phi Eagles do their just accomplished thing. 

I see my neighbor , Bloo , is eyeing this thread. He is more astute than I am , certainly could work out the radio transmitter thing. Just extrapolate from the power used by the pirate radio station Wolfman Jack used to entertain us old timers way back when. Remember "The X" , "The MIGHTY X" , XERB just south of the border ? I seem to remember the great reception at times. I am pretty sure Canada could tune in if skip was right. Even farther certainly from time to time. Am I right in remembering 50 kW? Something massive like that. I think they were running 100 kW for a while. Now Bloo would be easy to feed. Just on the other side of a small hill from me. Energy requirements for that round trip are easily within budgetary necessities. 

Thank you guys/gals who are interested in this aspect of the Brass Car Era. Particular thanks to Bob for initiating this fascinating thread ! 

If I remember correctly , Joe is a Ph.D rocket engineer. He might have thought about this aspect of Brass cars. I hope he drops in to give a reality check.      - Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Clarification (see edit history)

The usual way is to use nearby planetary bodies to sling the vehicle off at speed, using centripetal acceleration. It one could do that a couple or several times, the amount of energy required would be reduced considerably.

The other alternative is to get Scotty to beam it there.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)