When you wish you hired a tractor mechanic...

Just two quick photos of work that even a tractor mechanic wouldn't do...

Model J Duesenberg rods... with JB Weld to ballance them... yes, this is a real photo of an engine that someone paid to have rebuilt. You can't make this stuff up. And YES, it was a numbers-matching open car that was very well known. Remember, the guy who did this is still in business and charging for his work. You can see the newish pistons on the rods. And to answer the question before anyone asks... it's not a car from our collection. 

IMG_4767.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

Here is a great shot of a gas tank repair... NICE!

In my opinion, that work is so sub standard and dangerous, that the guy should be punched in the head... hard, a bunch of times. Gee... wonder if the fuel system has rust or dirt in it? 

140768671.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Just two quick photos of work that even a tractor mechanic wouldn't do.............

Model J Duesenberg rods......with JB Weld to ballance them..........yes, this is a real photo of an engine that someone paid to have rebuilt. You can't make this stuff up. And YES, it was a numbers matching open car that was very well known. Remember, the guy who did this is still in business and charging for his work. You can see the newish pistons on the rods. And to answer the question before anyone asks........it's not a car from our collection. 

IMG_4767.jpg

If I had paid to have this "work" done, my next step would be to pay a lawyer to sue them into space.

Reminds me of a car I looked at recently. Painted over rust, warped body panels, holes in the frame that you didn't see unless you pressed a finger against it. Rolling death trap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theconvertibleguy said:

If I had paid to have this "work" done, my next step would be to pay a lawyer to sue them into space.

Usually this kind of work isn't discovered until two or three owners down the road. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Model J Duesenberg rods......with JB Weld to ballance them.....

I am curious:  What is the proper way to balance rods?  

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pfloro said:

Thanks,

Paul

Devcon Rod - B - Right. Guaranteed not to rust, corrode, rip, tear, slip, slide, skid or wrinkle for the life of the original owner..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

1 hour ago, pfloro said:

Thanks,

Paul

Typically you’d weigh all parts of the reciprocal mass and have them equal before dynamic balance. Add or subtract weight to pistons, pins or rods before assembly. Typically find the lightest in an assembly and remove weight individually to match. The crank is dynamically balanced and has weight added or subtracted at the throws. You may look at a crankshaft and see what looks like a drill tip in the counter weight area. This was a point specific area of weight loss by drilling material. Sometimes babit is added to an assembly. 

I hope this is helpful 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Just two quick photos of work that even a tractor mechanic wouldn't do.............

Model J Duesenberg rods......with JB Weld to ballance them..........yes, this is a real photo of an engine that someone paid to have rebuilt. You can't make this stuff up. And YES, it was a numbers matching open car that was very well known. Remember, the guy who did this is still in business and charging for his work. You can see the newish pistons on the rods. And to answer the question before anyone asks........it's not a car from our collection. 

IMG_4767.jpg

To be PC I’ll say WTF on such an assembly. Did the builder think it wouldn’t be driven? 

• Like 1

By the way, I once saw an engine a machinist friend had to repair that someone a few years earlier balanced all the rods and other parts. They had ground so much material off the I-beam of one connecting rod that it broke while running and punched a hole in the side of the block.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

IMG_4767.jpg

Are you sure THAT was done for balancing and not something even stupider ?

Regardless of what or why, whenever* I encounter/see something like this I would like to see the individual(s) who did this, tied to a pillory and have each & every one of their fingers cut off (slowly with tin snips ?) from the knuckles so they would never be able to abuse another (vintage) automobile again.

*Unfortunately often in this hobby & profession.

• Like 1

What was the situation that caused this to be found?

Whatever the reason for the teardown the goop appears to be hanging on well, no big chunks look to be missing. I know I never would have thought of it even in the most extreme situation but I have set in on some design meetings where similar ideas have been put forward and accepted. I wouldn't make any assumptions until I knew the full story.

Now that I have seen it I might venture the question: how much material do you want to remove from Duesenberg rods to balance the engine?

Again, why was the engine disassembled?

Edit: Oh, and my thought was "Well, that's a flippant attitude toward engine balancing".

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kind of ironic using the term tractor mechanic as a pejorative.

The farm machines mechanics maintain today are worlds more

complex, better engineered and built to closer tolerances than Duesenberg or any other car built back in the day.

Todays engines and transmissions out perform and out last old iron by at least a factor of 10.

Todays tractors and planters are computer and satelite controlled varying the number of seeds planted in different parts of fields tailered to soil reports to achieve max yield.

This is maintained by tractor mechanics  using complex tooling and techniques. My local tractor dealer has an entire wall of shop manuals.

I m guessing a Duesenberg would be far easier to maintain with pliers and a roll of wire than pretty much any of today,s tractors.

So while  the term tractor mechanic may not be meant literally it still shows a certain lack of understanding and arrogance.....bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

By the way, I once saw an engine a machinist friend had to repair that someone a few years earlier balanced all the rods and other parts. They had ground so much material off the I-beam of one connecting rod that it broke while running and punched a hole in the side of the block.

I’ve seen this with nitrous motors

Looking at the photo again has me wondering. Did they glue in steel rods with that J B Weld? I have used a lot of J B Weld for non-critical repairs, or prettying up damaged castings (a mixture of J B Weld and steel wool makes a great casting filler for non strength areas!).

J B Weld is fairly light in weight by itself, and would take a lot of it to make even a little difference in the balance. If they did add steel rods to add weight? I would be very concerned about potential consequences if the J B Weld let go! It is an amazing product, with its epoxy nature and ability to build it up and shape it. It has very good adhesion capabilities. However, its adhesion does have its limitations. Certain metals and smooth surfaces often it isn't so good. 

Even a three inch small steel rod encased in plastic could do major damage if it got into the wrong place inside a running engine!

Edited by wayne sheldon
Could have sworn I fixed that typo? (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Nasty stuff. Reminds me of a "expertly restored" Studebaker GT Hawk done by Restoration Specialty shop for an elderly owner in the South. He had a deep, deep bank account, lovely winter home and wanted a top notch 63 GT Hawk to use as a cruiser. Long story, but I bought it after he was unable to drive and his family had it shipped back up north. Lot's of misleading photo's, etc. The so called original body panels were fiberglass, 289 Bearcat engine didn't even have the firing order right and frame had been patched. My local "Tractor" mechanic and I figured this POS scam out within 10 minutes after it had been put on a hoist.

Too late to get my money back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

work that even a tractor mechanic wouldn't do.............

Maybe the OP should reconsider looking down his nose at tractor mechanics as referred to in this and other previous posts. Most tractor mechanics these days are well trained, hard working individuals attempting to make a living without the comfort or convenience of fixed location, and laboring, for the most part, in all types of weather and situations, never encountered by most shop and dealership mechanics. I feel it is an injustice to single out these individuals in a rather demeaning manner. The days of the good old boys and shade tree mechanics has long passed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mr Lamborghini was a tractor mechanic I believe who chose to thumb his nose at Mr Ferrari. But a bodge job is still a bodge job.

Steve

• Like 3

Todays tractor mechanics are far beyond any antique car repair guys in technology and advanced systems servicing ......many times more complicated than new cars also......precision perfect repairs are a must for the power trains to last under the most extreme loads.....many of the new tractors and other equipment are near a million $...........for a person today to comment on a 'tractor mechanic' as someone inferior as a mechanic ......and this is not your first post cutting down tractor mechanics......shows how some people are out of touch with reality and how some attempt to put themselves above others ..........i will hold back on a few more comments i could add....sadly  i am embarrassed for this forum.......most on here can see for themselves anyways lolimage.jpeg.fe468af881447101edb8c19913051078.jpeg Was the poor JB weld repair done by a tractor service shop ? or a car only repair shop ? 

19 Speed PowerShift Transmission

(MY11 - MY14) T4A Tractors

SKU T8L-201B   Stock # 398834

Purchase Options
 Used Transmission$22,500 + $5,000 Core

Overhauled Transmission$45,000 + $5,000 Core

Overhauled Speed Only$25,000 + $5,000 Core

Overhauled Range Only$25,000 + $5,000 Core

Rebuilt 19 PowerShift Transmission

What's it cost to rebuild my transmission?

• $25,000 - Replace all bearings, seals, clutch disc and jumper tubes.
  • MFD Clutch and Park Brake Failure - add $7,500
  • Range Transmission Case Failure - add $7,500
  • CNH Reman Transmission is $55,000

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Kind of ironic using the term tractor mechanic as a pejorative.

The farm machines mechanics maintain today are worlds more

complex, better engineered and built to closer tolerances than Duesenberg or any other car built back in the day.

Todays engines and transmissions out perform and out last old iron by at least a factor of 10.

Todays tractors and planters are computer and satelite controlled varying the number of seeds planted in different parts of fields tailered to soil reports to achieve max yield.

This is maintained by tractor mechanics  using complex tooling and techniques. My local tractor dealer has an entire wall of shop manuals.

I m guessing a Duesenberg would be far easier to maintain with pliers and a roll of wire than pretty much any of today,s tractors.

So while  the term tractor mechanic may not be meant literally it still shows a certain lack of understanding and arrogance.....bob

Hear, Hear, Bob.😁

Ben

Im kinda confused🤔 the title says 'When you wish you hired a tractor mechanic". Then a picture of bad work? I did not see anything derogatory but simply stating that a tractor mechanic is a better person to do the job!

To quote Sgt. Hulka, 'Lighten up Francis!"

I suppose I was brought up in a different era (then again sometimes I feel like one of the younger people on here) but I dont get offended by most language/name calling/labels etc. A personal insult directed at me is different, but generalizations...........Most people are way too sensitive today.

• Like 7

Up in these parts we have two types of tractor mechanics. One, the proud ones, services equipment used on truck farms. Those are the farms that raise vegetables crops. Plowing, soil, harvesting work.

The other type tends to be a little ill-natured and sometimes irritable. They work on equipment servicing livestock. When they are in the trenches the differences are noticeable.

You can get a truck farmer and his mechanic pretty riled up inferring their bucket loader wasn't used for topsoil.

• Haha 7

Maybe we should use the term "Hack" mechanic. Wiktionary for a hack job: A task that was completed as quickly or cheaply as possible at the expense of quality and attention to detail".

This may unfortunately offend the sensitive hackers however.

How about "mechanically challenged". 🙄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Maybe we should use the term "Hack" mechanic. Wiktionary for a hack job: A task that was completed as quickly or cheaply as possible at the expense of quality and attention to detail".

This may unfortunately offend the sensitive hackers however.

How about "mechanically challenged". 🙄

Way back in the 1970s when I got started in computer programming the term “hacker” denoted a person who did hack jobs as defined by your wiktionary quote. It has always annoyed me that the meaning changed over the years to be some sort of badge of honor. To me, a hacker is someone who does shoddy work.

With respect to the JB Weld on the rods: Definitely a hack job. Almost surprised they didn’t use duct tape to hold some wheel weights in place. 🙄

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ply33 said:

...Almost surprised they didn’t use duct tape to hold some wheel weights in place. 🙄

Thanks for the tip :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I have seen a lot of shoddy work that was done by so called "high end" restoration shops.

Often the owners of the cars have absolutely no knowledge of what makes their cars work, so they don't know the difference.

I always laugh when I  hear some one say, "my car is great, my mechanic loves it".  (I'll bet he does)

• Haha 4

Lots of discussion but I am still wondering the reason for tearing down an engine at an obvious great expense.

Could a borescope have been slipped into the crankcase to look at the rods specifically when another diagnosis led to "There must be foreign material on the rods!"

I wouldn't think it happened like that.

I am not so sure I would throw that whole concept out. I might change a few details of the execution but I have been know to be one who weighs the concept and the details quite analytically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DonMicheletti said:

Often the owners of the cars have absolutely no knowledge of what makes their cars work, so they don't know the difference.

Ding ding ding! Winner!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

So true...and the often repeated "they'll only be used in a parade" or "it's a trailer queen...no one is going to drive it."

I don't have a problem with Ed's use of the term and I'm sure there are good tractor mechanics who take as much care as the best old car mechanics. This business of being "offended" has gone way too far...often to the point of absurdity.

The fact that it was a J model Dusenberg just makes the illustration more telling. That wouldn't be an acceptable repair on a forklift motor and anyone who would do it is clearly unqualified to work on ANY motor. The sad thing is that someone probably paid a king's ransom for that job and, as Matt has observed, were too ignorant to even notice.

I think just about all claims that something is mechanically restored should be taken with a grain of salt unless you are personally familiar with who did it. It's another reason why a truly unmolested original car, regardless of it's cosmetic perfection, is nearly always a better, and safer bet.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 6