What do boat people know that car guys don't?

This time of year, I see lots of boats being towed along city and country roads as well as on the interstate. Most of them are covered with some type of tarp or fitted covering. Previous discussions here have not recommended towing a car on an open trailer while covered.

I'm sure boat owners care about their craft's cosmetics as much as we do, but they continue to tow covered boats year in and year out. Is there a secret to using a cover, or are boat people more laid back and accepting?

(I'm not talking about the shrink-wrapping used for shipping, winter or longer term storage.)

Boat covers are usually fairly tight fitting and only cover the upper hull above the dock bumper so they don't flap and cause a lot of damage. A full car cover would flap like a flag in a storm and probably cause a lot of paint damage, or because of the higher highway speeds, could be a danger to other cars if it came loose.

• Like 2

1. If you see a boat being towed that is under a tarp, then they may be doing the same that does damage that car owners do.

2. A proper boat cover is fitted and attached in a manner that does no damage.

3. Boats must be designed to cut through water which also helps them cut through air much better than most old cars. (Okay, maybe not pontoon boats!)

I'm actually both a boat and classic car owner. I've towed both --including a pontoon boat.

• Like 4

The gelcoat surface on a boat is much more durable than the thin layer of paint sprayed on a car. When building a boat, several coats of gelcoat combined with a  hardener is sprayed in the mold on top of a parting film to achieve the desired color of the boat.  (When you pull the boat out of the mold the gelcoat is what you see on the outside.) Then, several layers of fiberglass and resin and bracing material are applied on top of the gelcoat to produce a strong, durable, surface that can withstand a lot of abuse like the flapping of boat covers.

• Like 4

I recently saw a post showing a boat being towed with a loose cover, and the ruthless comments following were regarding how the finish of the boat would be ruined. So, as Philip says, the cover on the boat needs to be specific to a particular boat, and fit tight.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I recently saw a post showing a boat being towed with a loose cover, and the ruthless comments following were regarding how the finish of the boat would be ruined. So, as Philip says, the cover on the boat needs to be specific to a particular boat, and fit tight.

Yes West. Or take the cover off when your on the road will save a lot of grief.

• Like 1

What do motorboat people know that car guys don't?

Where we lived on the water, about all there was that that they knew that we didn't ,

was the price of boat gas.   As sailors, we knew, the Tide Tables, the Channel markers,

the navigation rules of the waterways and the weather which they generally didn't.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Obviously boats won't fit into enclosed trailers so boat owners really don't have much of a choice than to trailer them, do they?  

Boat coverings have a harder surface and the straps for most covers are built in and attach to the boat frame for ease, tie downs and eyelets are more substantial with little or zero use of grommets.

While a boat is just as valueable (at times), collector car guys are much more protective because a car can get damaged easier, therefore most (with any common sense) tow them in enclosed trailers at all cost. All of those factors combined are why we're use to seeing boats with covers and why it's more acceptable for boat owners as opposed to vintage car owners.

image.png.80b29942f11632b69793cf3acc92b466.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have been in the canvas business for 45 years and have made both boat and car covers.Naturally the boat cover usually covers the top portion somewhat between the gunwale and the waterline and then tied down to the trailer at multiple points,thus keeping it from flapping extensively when on the road.The same method can be used if wanting to trailer a covered car on the highway.The fit of the car cover just needs to be more custom fit.Way less slop or looseness and also the paint can be more protected if the fabric used has an inner lining of fleece like softness .Still stay way under the 80 to 90 mph some people want to go.

• Like 1

In most cases, a boat covering does not touch the "colored" surface. As Mr. Herrera said, they usually just cover the top portion of the boat, which is frame in stainless steel or rubber bumpers. A cover on a car touches the paint EVERYWHERE. 

• Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 7:19 PM, TAKerry said:

Besides, how many of us are willing to put our cars waist deep in water,

There is a boat launch on the Erie Canal where I like to walk. Thinking of the term "big old boat" that people use for cars I have often thought of backing my '60 Electra down the ramp until the water just touches the rear bumper. It seems like a great picture to show me emerging from a ride in my boat on the canal.But I know what a recipe for disaster that whole thing could turn out to be. Even if we attached a safety strap to the car I know I would regret it.

So I will continue to take my one hour walk and look wistfully at the launch imagining the great picture that could have been.

Waist deep. Yeah, if I'm lucky.

013.JPG.7e01a1328d73c99dc61c6750dc749991.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 7:19 PM, TAKerry said:

Besides, how many of us are willing to put our cars waist deep in water, No comment from the Amphicar crowd, LOL.

What did you say???????????????

02.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, JohnS25 said:

When I was a boat owner I new I could go 100 mph on water and not get a ticket 😎

IMG_3670.png.0775f3ba777108110119f2c9391c7ad4.png

Even that's changing in a lot of places!

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 7:25 PM, Ronnie said:

The gelcoat surface on a boat is much more durable than the thin layer of paint sprayed on a car. When building a boat, several coats of gelcoat combined with a  hardener is sprayed in the mold on top of a parting film to achieve the desired color of the boat.  (When you pull the boat out of the mold the gelcoat is what you see on the outside.) Then, several layers of fiberglass and resin and bracing material are applied on top of the gelcoat to produce a strong, durable, surface that can withstand a lot of abuse like the flapping of boat covers.

This. 

I used to work in a boat yard cleaning fiberglass boats. In spring the hull would be compounded with big high-speed buffing machines to clean the previous season of grim, scratches, and all the other nasty stuff the boats get soaked in. Then it gets a quick coat of wax. The rubbing compounds that we used were far too aggressive for paint, but not many years of cleaning the gel coat - which is tougher that paint and much thicker.

Paul

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 4:19 PM, TAKerry said:

Besides, how many of us are willing to put our cars waist deep in water, No comment from the Amphicar crowd, LOL.

OK no Amphicar pictures.

Can the new Volkswagen beetles float like the older models ... 

FYI, it's part of the DNA

Volkswagen Typ 166 Schwimmwagen - YouTubeVolkswagen Schwimmwagen - Wikipedia

So is the All-wheel drive aspect part of the DNA

Germany's Amphibious Car: The ...VW Kbelwagen and Schwimmwagen: Germany ...image.jpeg.64f0a3a956a657ed3c7767b473766ebe.jpeg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, R.Dan Herrera said:

I have been in the canvas business for 45 years and have made both boat and car covers.Naturally the boat cover usually covers the top portion somewhat between the gunwale and the waterline and then tied down to the trailer at multiple points,thus keeping it from flapping extensively when on the road.The same method can be used if wanting to trailer a covered car on the highway.The fit of the car cover just needs to be more custom fit.Way less slop or looseness and also the paint can be more protected if the fabric used has an inner lining of fleece like softness .Still stay way under the 80 to 90 mph some people want to go.

Wonder if boat covers will stop this from happening!

Patrols seek to stop hefty sea lions from crushing docks and sinking boats  in Orange County harbors – Orange County Register

• Haha 2

What do boat people know that car guys don't?

Well, After 25 years of owning a boat dealership I can tell you that most boat guys think they know more about boats and boating than myself or any of my employees. So if you ask that question to a boat guy, he will tell you that he knows everything.

The new guys were a bit better. But I would guess I only took a serious buyer for a river test about one in ten sales. And all of them got the offer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

Boat and antique car guys both know what the two best days are of ownership are.

What a sad (and accurate in so many cases) comment about the human condition.  So many folks look for satisfaction in material things,  but are unable to find it.   My own personal prejudice...?  Too many people buying stuff without knowing enough about it to see if it meets what they are looking for.

I really shouldn't comment about this very human problem - I elected to learn about stuff...so when I actually aquired it,  I found what I was looking for....something satsifactory for my needs.

Example....wife and I have owned our Bayliner Contessa (28 ft. cabin cruiser) for some 40+ years now....and (assuming I did it correctly) a photo of our Packard Twelve on a recent CCCA tour in the Colorado Rockies (bought that in '57....still find it gives me satisfaction when I drive it.  

Could the problem be - people don't study a prospective purchase enough to get what meets their needs ?

PACKARD COLORADO 1.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

There is a boat launch on the Erie Canal where I like to walk. Thinking of the term "big old boat" that people use for cars I have often thought of backing my '60 Electra down the ramp until the water just touches the rear bumper. It seems like a great picture to show me emerging from a ride in my boat on the canal.But I know what a recipe for disaster that whole thing could turn out to be. Even if we attached a safety strap to the car I know I would regret it.

So I will continue to take my one hour walk and look wistfully at the launch imagining the great picture that could have been.

Waist deep. Yeah, if I'm lucky.

013.JPG.7e01a1328d73c99dc61c6750dc749991.JPG

I may have said before on here but...My neighbor took us kids fishing when I was about 10 or so. A guy was backing his boat into the lake with a early model mustang. He got too close to the water where the ramp was slick and the car started drifting backwards into the water submerging the trunk up to the back window. At that time my neighbor, a pretty big athletic type of fellow, ran over and started pushing the car as the owner was feverishly stomping on the gas! It did get out and us kids had a bit of excitement to go along with our afternoon fishing trip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

How did you keep that cowboy hat on at 100 mph, boat caulk?

Hat Blown Stock Illustrations – 38 Hat ...

lol 

I kept the hat and the mullet wig in a bag under the bow of the boat 😎

I DEFINITELY needed to sell it or I would have killed my self and anyone stupid enough to get in it with me 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 6:13 PM, alsancle said:

Boat and antique car guys both know what the two best days are of ownership are.

Not always true.   I've shed a tear more than once when selling a long term car.  KInd of like a death in the family.

I own 7 cars with a average ownership of 22 years, they become family if they all run and get used.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added a thought (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Not always true.   I've shed a tear more than once when selling a long term car.  KInd of like a death in the family.

I own 7 cars with a average ownership of 22 years, they become family if they all run and get used.

Me too!

• Like 1

I used to see boat launches in Lake George fairly often. More than once the whole back half of the pickup pulling the trailer would end up in the water. Even as a kid I thought that couldn't be good for the truck. 

I don't see why the shrink wrapped cover couldn't be applied to a car. I understand why people are leery to try it, but I could see where it could be beneficial. Example being an open top car on the way to restoration shop. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 6:13 PM, alsancle said:

We have a Winner here! Hand out the trophy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

One of the best sources of free entertainment is watching boat owners use the local boat ramps.  Even when they do it perfectly, it can be entertaining, but the ones who do it wrong provide nearly endless entertainment.

Yes, great entertainment. Just add alcohol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Unlike cars, boats are usually made to provide flat, open spaces for exposure to the sun, relaxation on a chair or seat, and no obstructions to either view or fishing.

Most boats come equipped with hand rails, which also suffice as rub rails to help prevent damage to fiberglass, wood, paint and decaling from a rubbing tarp.

Many boats are made using a fiberglass mold for surfaces exposed directly to the water. But, structural support, and frames necessary to attach doors, windows, floors, and a buggy, the transom are made of wood.

The numerous flat surfaces invites standing water, and wind driven water can reach places which invites mold and rot, which ultimately destroys fiberglass and fiberglass strand mat encased wood.

As I have said, and will continue to repeat until I can no longer talk is “The best gift you can give a pesky friend is a free boat with a huge trailer”.

Jack

• Haha 1

a lot of people in the boat industry knew the use of concrete to manufacture long lasting hulls for sailboats and ships ........probably the only material not never used in the car industry ...............not saying it should be...........can you imagine a Packard with a custom 'ferro cement ' body 

• Haha 1

Not quite true -Back in the day my sister had a Morris Minor in which the floor was made of concrete because of rust. Failed it's annual inspection but with the concrete replaced with a metal floor the difference in performance was amazing. That's  said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, Morris Minors were never known for their peformance. 😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

a lot of people in the boat industry knew the use of concrete to manufacture long lasting hulls for sailboats and ships ........probably the only material not never used in the car industry ...............not saying it should be...........can you imagine a Packard with a custom 'ferro cement ' body 

A visit to Lake Bay, Washington will be rewarded with being among those who have seen a sail boat, and I do mean a HUGE sail boat made solely of concrete.

My visit was several years ago, and at that time the boat was already pretty old.

Even though I am no expert on boats, it doesn’t take one to quickly realize that being aboard one is not a good place to be once it starts to sink.

Jack

• Like 2