Were do i get the best rates for shipping larger items (sheetmetal) from NJ to CA?

I've got a 1 time crate with an automotive sheet metal panel inside to ship from NJ to CA.  59 Pounds, 63 X 27 X 17 Inches in size.  The rates I've received are estimates of $375 to $540.  Can anyone do better?

Doubt your going to get much better that those prices now days.

8 yrs ago, I ordered a quarter panel for $250 plus $250 for the shipping..

At today's prices, that panel is now $500 and I suspect the shipping would be at a min of $500..

If you have a Fastenal store near you you could check with them as a lot of Hit and Miss engine collectors use their LTL Freight service to ship heavy crated items and often better prices than most common shippers..

You can also check Fastenal's Freight website HERE for details.

• Like 2

I haven't shipped any larger items in a while,  but I use a company called Pirate ship to ship all my items every day.  They are essentially a middle man that sells shipping from UPS and USPS.   The discount on UPS rates is insane.  Usually a 40-60 percent or more savings over window prices for foreign and domestic shipments.  Might be worth running the numbers through their system for a quote.  It's super simple and gives you all the different rates from each company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It has been awhile since I have used their service but I agree with Keiser, Greyhound Package Express has been by far the cheapest I have found.  If it fits in the compartment under their busses, they will ship it, all you have to do is pick it up at the local Greyhound depot.  I have had fenders and other large items shipped this way.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

t has been awhile since I have used their service but I agree with Keiser,

Same for me, it has been a while since I have had to use it ,  but as mentioned if it fits under the bus and the item is well packed this is the way to go.

And yes, it is up to you to go to the Greyhound depot to collect.

Shipping from England to the USA can be very costly - having to pay to box/crate something that is large, pay duty at customs, etc. BUT there is a fairly economical way to ship too. If you are going on a airplane contact the airline for extra baggage and see the cost. If they have room and again your item is well wrapped even if reasonably heavy and awkward - you get it to the airport and with pre arranged/paid for extra baggage I got this wood ( yes solid wood) 3/4 size carousel ( in England called a Fair ground ride) motor cycle that is nearly 100 lbs home on a trip. Wrapped in bubble wrap so customs could see what it was. ( yes I had officials on both ends at the airport rolling their eyes- but smiling) I did the same for 2 or 3 pedal cars as well - but not all in the same trip............ I know some of my friends are reading this and thinking "yep, that's the wood motorcycle he has in the bay window in his living room"................

motorcyclewoodthree.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, ABear said:

If you have a Fastenal store near you you could check with them as a lot of Hit and Miss engine collectors use their LTL Freight service to ship heavy crated items and often better prices than most common shippers..

This is how I went a few times ( quarter panels, automatic transmission and a rear step bumper ) it's been a few years, but as I recall, the service was very reasonable !

I've used https://www.pirateship.com/  in the past with good results, also FedEx Freight. 

Freight prices are crazy and it makes big difference on the class of freight if you are going LTL (auto parts being some of the most expensive). 

International I used a company I think called IPS, to ship a 69 Pontiac executive rear bumper in a crate  built for it and it was around $250 or something from NY state USA to Hungary or some other near by European country. which is really reasonable when you consider the size and weight of that shipment.  Fed Ex picked it up, but like Pirate ship it's just a company buying and selling discount shipping so you are really sending it in that case by Fed Ex. 

For Everything I ship now I like Pirate ship.  I often buy lots of literature and just send the people selling them the labels prepaid.  I'm sure it's made everything a whole lot easier to get deals done.   A lot cheaper on my end as well as they aren't paying high window prices and I get to chose the shipping method.  I often will spend a little more to upgrade in hopes of better handling. 

I too would check with Fastenal. There are some special restrictions, like what parts of the country you can ship to, but the rates were good. I had two front fenders shipped from Texas to Winchester ,VA for $200. I did have to pick them up. Fastenal would not ship to my area in PA due to some rule on shipping body parts. Doesn't hurt to inquire!

• Like 2

Regarding Greyhound package service: Yes, I also thought we had heard that Greyhound was getting out of package shipping some time ago, and that it was noted here on our forums. I just Googled the subject for the heck of it, and here's what came up as the answer many different times:

"Greyhound will end its package express shipping operations as of September 30, 2022. In conjunction with ending the service, placing an online shipment will not be available past September 15, 2022."

There was even a post about Greyhound eliminating this service that I found on a DRUM forum. Those guys had been using Greyhound to ship complete, used drum sets in the past! Who would have thought it? So, we old car people aren't the only ones lamenting Greyhound discontinuing their small and large package shipping business! John

That is quite the shipping quote for not all that far.

For comparison, I recently had 4 large tires and a box of tubes shipped from England to Eastern Canada that came UPS in a week for about the same price. And they took the long route and made visits to Kentucky and Quebec on their way to Nova Scotia. 🙃

I have had good luck with Pirate Ship https://www.pirateship.com/

I have had some Chrysler Hemi parts to ship like an oil pan that went from NY to SC. Through Pirate Ship it went for about 50%.

My local Postmistress just retired. When I asked her about it she said it was great and recommended it highly.

They say the USPS needs to raise its rates. I wonder if any of the top level management has ever followed Tracking. If a package only went across the country once per shipment it seems like it would cost less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jpage said:

I too would check with Fastenal. There are some special restrictions, like what parts of the country you can ship to, but the rates were good. I had two front fenders shipped from Texas to Winchester ,VA for $200. I did have to pick them up. Fastenal would not ship to my area in PA due to some rule on shipping body parts. Doesn't hurt to inquire!

Don't know about other areas, but Fastenal in Oregon has changed their operating procedures and no longer ships outside items. Not sure about UPS, but FedEx has a wood crate charge tacked onto the bill. OP might also check shipping by one of the freight carriers. If not shipping to a business and the receiver can pick up at the local depot, should save a lot of money over home delivery at the receivers end with liftgate drop off at a non-business.  

22 hours ago, leomara said:

I've got a 1 time crate with an automotive sheet metal panel inside to ship from NJ to CA.  59 Pounds, 63 X 27 X 17 Inches in size.  The rates I've received are estimates of $375 to $540!!!  Can anyone do better?

Are you selling this ?

If so  …

Has the Buyer paid for it in full ?

Then let the Buyer facilitate 

the transport.

If the Buyer is considering

purchase depending on 

the cost of shipping …

Let the Buyer do their own

homework - you are not selling

shipping.

Parts and vehicles in general 

are usually cost prohibitive

to ship cross country in a

manner to ensure they arrive

in the condition they left.

Jim

Fastenal stopped offering

the courtesy of third party

shipping for goods not sold

by them because:

They were providing transport

below cost to keep their trucks

full - then Covid hit and everyone 

tightened their belts.

Mounting nuisance insurance

claims from folks who did not

properly pack items for 

commercial drop shipping

and then expected Fastenal

to pay them for their damages

was also part of the reason.

Greyhound found they could charge

more for passengers with over size 

luggage and also not have to deal

with insurance claims so they

discontinued third party shipping,

There is no cheap transport

for goods - only the promise 

of it.

Jim

I sold a set of four '94 Buick Roadmaster aluminum wheels a few years ago. I shipped them UPS. I told our local UPS counterman "I'm pretty sure this guy is going to put in a damage claim. The tone of his voice and asking me four times if I was insuring them made me suspicious." The counterman said don't worry it happens all the time. Sure enough, he put in a $40 claim for a broken center cap. He just had to get that little bit out of the insurance.

"They" are a predictable bunch and drive some of the price considerations.

1 minute ago, gungeey said:

You have one for when traveling? 

As opposed to Postmaster.

She is the one who asked me if I came from new money or old.

45 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

Fastenal stopped offering

the courtesy of third party

shipping for goods not sold

by them because:

They were providing transport

below cost to keep their trucks

full - then Covid hit and everyone 

tightened their belts.

Mounting nuisance insurance

claims from folks who did not

properly pack items for 

commercial drop shipping

and then expected Fastenal

to pay them for their damages

was also part of the reason.

As far as I can determine, none of this is true, I do not see such info as stated on Fastenals website or Blue Line's website..

You LOCAL store may have made a decision to NOT or is not eligible SHIP OR ACCEPT OR SHIP THIRD PARTY SHIPMENTS. Additionally, they have a map and have the States split in half (East/West) and if you want to ship from East to West or reverse they cannot do that. They also do not ship to Canada.

The reasons, well they own their own fleet of trucks and have dedicated routes for those trucks, they offer third party shipping services as a means to fill their trucks, empty or partial loaded trucks wastes money so they can minimize their own shipping costs by filling in with non store related shipping.

If you go to Fastenals website and check at the bottom of the page you will find Blue Line Freight (which is their fleet of freight trucks), select Blue Line Freight, go to near the bottom of page and you will find the following

I will give you the shortcut to Blue Line HERE

"Shipping services are not available between the East and West Zones shown in map above.

Fastenal does not guarantee transit times.

Quotes are given to and from stores that are approved for shipping at this time. Not all branches are eligible for service."

As far as insurance, I believe they limit claims to max of $250 but I don't see that on their website.

One must follow their rules, everything MUST BE CRATED (enclosed) on a skid (if you want insurance), nothing can "overhang" past the skid.

Here is their rules..

"• Fastenal will only pay damage claims for shipments that are fully enclosed inside a crate. Our definition of a crate is an enclosed box, made of durable wood or metal, strapped to a pallet, with no part of the crate hanging over the pallet. Fastenal will ship uncrated items with no insurance.

• Shipping charges may be paid by the shipper or receiver.

• Effective June 1st, 2019, Fastenal branches will no longer accept cash or checks for payment.

• All shippers must present a valid US driver’s license or state-issued photo ID at the time freight is dropped off or picked up from a Fastenal branch.

• All crated shipments will be inspected at the time of shipping. Sealed crates will not be accepted."

The crate that my fenders were shipped in, made by the guy I bought them from, was an open box container made from 1x3 lumber. The fenders only had to be secured on the pallet, not completely enclosed, but secure enough that they didn't flop around. The crate was about 5 ft. x3ft.x2ft.. Best to contact Fastenal in person to find out about requirements; things do change. These were shipped a little over a year ago.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Were do i get the best rates for shipping larger items (sheetmetal) from NJ to CA?
On 5/27/2024 at 2:57 PM, jpage said:

I had trouble shipping a neighbor to NY, had the same problem, no shipping body parts!

• Haha 1

In the late 1980s or early '90s I began to see shipments of southern automotive body parts coming up to my end of New York State by the trailer load. The Door Store was one retail name as well as gas tank outlets. One look at the way those loads were heaved up and packed in was enough for me to say "No thanks, I will fix the rust". Dings, oil can dents, and stretches sometimes never come out. I get packages now with boxes in such condition I just wonder how bad a day the carrier was having.

About 20 years ago I had one Jaguar fender shipped by Greyhound. An individual did a good packing job but the neighborhood I had to go through to get to the bus station and the attitude of the two guys who pointed and grunted at the box made me decide that if the car is worth the part I with drive where ever and pick it up.

Remember that term "body language"? I must be one of the very few who can recall it.

Apparently, Fastenal has had trouble with either their stores or with vandals in certain locations. They would ship my panels but not to certain areas. I was willing to drive some distance to save money in the long run. other than that, the service was good.

General discussion is good, and some ideas to consider posted. But if I were shipping said parts I would have gone with the lower quote and shipped the stuff. $300 to cross the country with a large box sounds like a bargain to me. Its not like diesel fuel is $4!!  I shipped a pair of exhaust outlets in a cardboard box about the size of a small suitcase. Went from MD to TX, only cost $150!!

As mentioned, a couple of things to consider, find a local LTL freight carrier and ship from or pick up directly at their terminal. If thats not available use a commercial address. Maybe a friends auto shop or such. Rates are usually lower that way.

• Like 1

I had a set of wheels with tires mounted sent from FL to NY circa 2016 via "USHIP".  https://www.uship.com/?siteId=1

They wound-up riding in someone's horse trailer.  Delivery time was OK, as was the price; I had no complaints.  I picked-them up locally.  That's a sample of one...

On 5/28/2024 at 5:22 AM, 60FlatTop said:

They say the USPS needs to raise its rates. I wonder if any of the top level management has ever followed Tracking. If a package only went across the country once per shipment it seems like it would cost less.

UPS could take a lesson here, too. :lol: You might notice that their tracking info has become far more vague recently. I noticed it right after a package of mine took a couple of laps of Maryland and Pennsylvania before finally coming to Washington State several days late. I laughed about it, but I imagine some people yell.

I saved this little tracking treasure from the shipment of a Packard taillight harness from Narragansett, R. I. 415 miles, sorta.

The world has been in a management crisis since the first man sat in the front of the boat and sent out the first percussive command.

Parts-c.jpg.cca2393071ccdcfd202905714ab6ca5e.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I saved this little tracking treasure from the shipment of a Packard taillight harness from Narragansett, R. I. 415 miles, sorta.

The world has been in a management crisis since the first man sat in the front of the boat and sent out the first percussive command.

Parts-c.jpg.cca2393071ccdcfd202905714ab6ca5e.jpg

I'll see you and I'll raise you one. Here's a Pocketwatch going to its owner. MA to RI. A 40 mile trip.

Screenshot_20240530_190234_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240530_190221_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240530_190209_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Folks posting about the routing 

of their shipment do not understand

how commercial drop shipping works.

Trucks are packed as full as possible

that haul freight - the odds of anyone

else requiring shipping from your

pick up up zip code to your drop off

zip in the same timeframe are less

than you winning on a lottery

scratch ticket.

Hence the term

” package in the mail “.

Your “ treasure “ is just one

of hundreds of thousands

of other treasures shipped

across our country and 

other countries around the

world.

The same applies to 

vehicle transport.

Jim

Try UShip.com.   It’s a service that truckers use when they have space left over on a run. I’ve used them to ship engines, trannies, trunks, motorcycles and even cars.
 You sign up to make a listing with photos, measurements and description and you get bids by truckers or shipping companies.

• Like 1