Car For Sale ads that state "No Disappointments"

Has anybody else noticed this? How come car for sale ads that state, "No Disappointments" or "You will not be disappointed" are always the ads that disappoint the most. They are always the ones where just by looking at the first picture you can see so many problems that you would never want to own the car. I have always wonder if I should call the seller and let them know I am already disappointed. But I never do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Kind of like when somebody interrupts you by saying
"I don't mean to interrupt"?

Do they really believe you won't become aware of their cars flaws,

or do they think you're expecting the worst, 

and that their car is a bit better?

No - just hoping you are not as aware as you should be.

Let the Buyer Beware !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Before the internet, my buddy and I drove from Indiana to Long Island NY to get a Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe. It was listed as "no disappointments" in a magazine stand cars for sale publication. We called him and he mailed us pictures of the car and it looked new off the showroom floor. We drive all the way there thinking we were getting a great deal. When we got there we found a total pile of junk. He admitted to us that he sent us pictures of the car when he bought it new and not of the car now... This would have been mid 90's

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Do they really believe you won't become aware of their cars flaws,

or do they think you're expecting the worst, 

and that their car is a bit better?

No - just hoping you are not as aware as you should be.

Let the Buyer Beware !

Like saying "With all due respect" before an insult...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jensenracing77 said:

Before the internet, my buddy and I drove from Indiana to Long Island NY to get a Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe. It was listed as "no disappointments" in a magazine stand cars for sale publication. We called him and he mailed us pictures of the car and it looked new off the showroom floor. We drive all the way there thinking we were getting a great deal. When we got there we found a total pile of junk. He admitted to us that he sent us pictures of the car when he bought it new and not of the car now... This would have been mid 90's

Today it is so easy to take and send photos. But then you run into somebody who for whatever reason cannot get you any decent photos. This happens a lot on the face book market. They will have 700 photos of kids, dogs, food, etc... But they cannot take 10 or 12 photos of a car and want you to drive 400 miles to look for yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

new off the showroom floor. We drive all the way there thinking we were getting a great deal. When we got there we found a total pile of junk.

We call that "minga mint" in this neck of the woods.

One thing I know for sure, the older the buyer is the easier the sale if he thinks he is taking advantage of you. It's like their mission after 40.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angelfish said:

Keep your expectations low and they will always be met.

My secret to happiness! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

One thing I know for sure, the older the buyer is the easier the sale if he thinks he is taking advantage of you. It's like their mission after 40.

It is not their mission. If someone is still in the hobby past their 40's, they have already been taken advantage of by unscrupulous dealers and flippers (my apologies for being redundant), we feel entitled, its our payback time !!!!!

• Like 2

Happened to me just the other day. Keep in mind that I am a race official these days.

Driver comes up to me and says "No offence Jack, But...." then unloads on me for calling him out for rough driving.

What a putz.

Now that I think about it, pretty much all of us racers are a bunch of PUTZes in some way or another.   Cep't me of coarse.

🏎️

• Haha 5

They teach that to marketing majors in every business school in the world.

I call it Veg-o-Matic syndrome.

"It slices! It dices! You can't live without it! As seen on TV!"

Though to its and Mr Popeil's credit, it saved many a cook's fingers!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Angelfish said:

Keep your expectations low and they will always be met.

As the artist Peter Max told me once...."Make no appointments, be not disappointed."

• Like 2

The same people that write "no disappointments"  also list cars that say "not currently running but it's an easy fix". 

Hmm...if it was an easy fix then why didn't they fix it and get a lot more money for a running car?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

“It was running when it parked”

“Papers are in order, but I lost them, unfortunately I cannot find the Title!”

“It is running, but it doesn’t start because the battery is dead”

”There is a minor ignition issue, easy fix”

”All original parts are there, nothing missing”

We can write a book on this…but we keep bringing them home!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, JRA said:

“It was running when it parked”

“Papers are in order, but I lost them, unfortunately I cannot find the Title!”

“It is running, but it doesn’t start because the battery is dead”

”There is a minor ignition issue, easy fix”

”All original parts are there, nothing missing”

We can write a book on this…but we keep bringing them home!

I saw an ad the other day which stated the car did not run. But it was probably just out of gas. But they did not have time to check it out. 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

I saw an ad the other day which stated the car did not run. But it was probably just out of gas. But they did not have time to check it out. 

No worse than just needs a battery.  Even today with the price of batteries really up in the last few years.,  Really,  spend the 150 or so and put a battery in it.  Especially prewar cars where it's under the seat.  When I read that I think,  well probably needs alot more,  but you won't know because you don't even get to the start it phase.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

" Great Car But The Goats Ate The Interior A Few Days Ago"

Been there.  Bought a 53 Buick convertible from a guy but it had the wrong front seat.  He said the goats ate the original.   looking at the farm it was on,  I know it wasn't just a story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about the guy who responds to your "for sale" ad and the first thing he says is " What is the least you will accept?"  We may get to the point where that queation is valid, but not as the first thing!  Since I know that "buyer" is not seriously intersted, my usual response is " What is the most you will pay?"  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 10:16 AM, Marty Roth said:

More like the people who post "Not to hijack this thread..." then proceed to hijack the thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And about the stories of previous owners? Always interesting people and impressive cases to demonstrate the pedigree of the car!

This car was owned by:

- school teacher, who drove it very carefully and just in town

- important congressman, who bought for his wife 

- an industrialist, who was visiting his mistress in a country village in the 1920s, then her brother came with a gun and he had to run away. So the car was kept untouched in a barn ever since (I did some research on this one, totally different story. It used to be a hearse, then converted to a sedan in late 1960s)

- the president, it was gift from Hitler and it came as cargo inside the Zeppelin (it was 1930s DKW)

- two brothers, they fought by the family inheritance and could not decide who would get the car, so it was stored in a garage and forgotten

- same family, since new (1927 Buick)

- the church cardinal

Naturally without any document to prove the car origins! But all good stories!

• Like 1

I have heard countless “special orders” from Ford Model A sellers… 

• Like 1