Revolutionary cars in history

maok

I mentioned in another post my revolutionary cars in history, what would you add or delete to this list?

1. Benz/Daimler

2. Ford Model T

3. Chrysler Airflow

4. Citroen DS

5. Toyota Prius

6. Tesla Cyber Truck

Ford Mustang                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Volkswagen Beetle

• Like 4

To me a revolutionary car is one that affected the whole industry, turned it in a new direction by making other cars obsolete.

I nominate

The DeDion Bouton tricycle of the 1890s, first mass produced motor vehicle.  Had a tiny single cylinder engine that was a revolutionary change from the big "gas buggy" engines. Hundreds of makers used DeDion engines and copied the DeDion design, even Pierce in the US.

Ford Model T. Not widely copied in design but it affected the industry forcing everyone to mass produce for lower prices. In the late teens and early twenties even the most expensive cars copied the Model T look of black or dark paint finish and little or no nickel or brass trim. At one point Ford was making nearly half the cars sold, you could not ignore them.

Chrysler Airflow. It looked like nothing that came before, but practically every car that came after copied the Airflow design with chubbier fenders.

1949 Cadillac, pioneer of tailfins, OHV V8 and automatic transmission 3 of the biggest auto fads of the fifties. I know the 48 Caddy had the same fins and the Hydramatic was 10 years old but this car put them all in the same package and influenced all American cars from then on.

1984 Chrysler minivan. Often overlooked, but it revolutionized the industry.  Before the Chrysler there was no such thing as a front wheel drive, soccer mom minivan. Afterwards, everybody had one. They were in every suburban driveway and every manufacturer added one to their line.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The DeDion Bouton tricycle, first mass produced motor vehicle.  Had a tiny single cylinder engine that was a revolutionary change from the big "gas buggy" engines. Hundreds of makers used DeDion engines and copied the DeDion design, even Pierce in the US.

At the opposite end, DeDion Bouton double-deckers were the first motorized buses in New York City.

Craig

14 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

To me a revolutionary car is one that affected the whole industry, turned it in a new direction by making other cars obsolete.

I nominate

The DeDion Bouton tricycle, first mass produced motor vehicle.  Had a tiny single cylinder engine that was a revolutionary change from the big "gas buggy" engines. Hundreds of makers used DeDion engines and copied the DeDion design, even Pierce in the US.

Ford Model T. Not widely copied in design but it affected the industry forcing everyone to mass produce for lower prices. In the late teens and early twenties even the most expensive cars copied the Model T look of black or dark paint finish and little or no nickel or brass trim. At one point Ford was making nearly half the cars sold, you could not ignore them.

Chrysler Airflow. It looked like nothing that came before, but practically every car that came after copied the Airflow design with chubbier fenders.

1949 Cadillac, pioneer of tailfins, OHV V8 and automatic transmission 3 of the biggest auto fads of the fifties. I know the 48 Caddy had the same fins and the Hydramatic was 10 years old but this car put them all in the same package and influenced all American cars from then on.

1984 Chrysler minivan. Often overlooked, but it revolutionized the industry.  Before the Chrysler there was no such thing as a front wheel drive, soccer mom minivan. Afterwards, everybody had one. They were in every suburban driveway and every manufacturer added one to their line.

Yep, I'd agree with the 1st true auto gearbox - Cadillac.

Who had the 1st starter motor, Cadillac?

18 minutes ago, maok said:

Yep, I'd agree with the 1st true auto gearbox - Cadillac.

Who had the 1st starter motor, Cadillac?

Good catch. 1914 (or was it 1912?) Cadillac had the first really good electric starter, most important it was integrated into a complete electrical system with generator, coil ignition, and electric lighting the first time this was done, and showed the way for every car made afterwards. Belongs on the list of revolutionary cars.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 4

For efficient packaging and use of space, Austin/Morris Mini.  87% of the car was devoted to passenger & luggage space.

As far as 'revolutionaries' in automobiles, it must also be extended to the ones who made them so; either engineering, or a statement of design.  The list would include:

Henry Ford

Charles Kettering

Alex Issigonis

Hans Ledwinka

Ferdinand Porsche

Harley Earl

Bill Mitchell

Karl Benz

Herbert Austin

Alfred Sloan

W.P. Chrysler

William Hartnett

Albrecht Goertz

Thomas Edison

Kiichiro Toyoda

Barney Roos

Preston Tucker

Virgil Exner

Others can add more to the list.

Craig

• Like 1

The early-60s GM Y-body cars. F85, Tempest, Special, and Corvair. Each had its own radically advanced for the time engineering.

Also the Oldsmobile Toronado, for proving front wheel drive could be successfully adapted to a full-size high horsepower car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

For efficient packaging and use of space, Austin/Morris Mini.  87% of the car was devoted to passenger & luggage space.

As far as 'revolutionaries' in automobiles, it must also be extended to the ones who made them so; either engineering, or a statement of design.  The list would include:

Henry Ford

Charles Kettering

Alex Issigonis

Hans Ledwinka

Ferdinand Porsche

Harley Earl

Bill Mitchell

Karl Benz

Herbert Austin

Alfred Sloan

W.P. Chrysler

William Hartnett

Albrecht Goertz

Thomas Edison

Kiichiro Toyoda

Barney Roos

Preston Tucker

Virgil Exner

Craig

Whether you like it or not, Elon Musk has to be on your list, too.

• Like 5

La Jamais Contente, first car to travel at 100kmh, in 1899.

Photo shows Camille Jenatzy at the tiller and his wife sitting on the back of the car.  

Jenatzy was nicknamed the Red Devil and featured in Bosch advertising during the brass era.

In the year following the 100kmh record Ferdinand Porsche built the race car “La Toujours Contente”, its name a nod to Jenatzky’s race car. It was one of the world’s first four wheel drive cars.

IMG_2673.jpeg.b8b90b8cffeba4987d5879a1f17c7609.jpeg

IMG_2672.jpeg.6e8ded31ce6f5c869e1eff93f04dc6fb.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg.2421b286761d13d0b0598ea9f6e04e40.jpeg

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)
  • Like 6

The ones necessarely in my list are:

- Oldsmobile Curved Dash

- Ford Model T

- Marmon Wasp

- Cord L29

- Willys Jeep

- VW Beetle

I think we can probably all agree on the Model T and the VW Beetle. 50 years from know they will point to the Tesla roadster of possibly the model S.
The good news: we don't need to worry about it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Henry Ford

Charles Kettering

Alex Issigonis

Hans Ledwinka

Ferdinand Porsche

Harley Earl

Bill Mitchell

Karl Benz

Herbert Austin

Alfred Sloan

W.P. Chrysler

William Hartnett

Albrecht Goertz

Thomas Edison

Kiichiro Toyoda

Barney Roos

Preston Tucker

Virgil Exner

Craig

Craig:  I can’t believe you forgot Raymond Loewy!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Craig:  I can’t believe you forgot Raymond Loewy!

He was a PROMOTER, and it was his competent design staff that did all the work, including Virgil Exner, as I mentioned.  (I supposed I could have also mentioned Bob Bourke, Holden Koto, John Epstein, Robert Andrews, and Tom Kellogg who were ones that did the actual work on various Studebakers, including the '50 bulletnose, '53 C/K, and the Avanti, and Bob Bourke & Holden Koto also had important input on the 1949 Ford which did save the company.)

Craig

15 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Henry Ford

Charles Kettering

Alex Issigonis

Hans Ledwinka

Ferdinand Porsche

Harley Earl

Bill Mitchell

Karl Benz

Herbert Austin

Alfred Sloan

W.P. Chrysler

William Hartnett

Albrecht Goertz

Thomas Edison

Kiichiro Toyoda

Barney Roos

Preston Tucker

Virgil Exner

Craig

I would like to include Vincenzo Lancia

19 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Good catch. 1914 (or was it 1912?) Cadillac had the first really good electric starter, most important it was integrated into a complete electrical system with generator, coil ignition, and electric lighting the first time this was done, and showed the way for every car made afterwards. Belongs on the list of revolutionary cars.

Don't forget Cadillac, first with synchromesh in the manual transmission.

• Like 5

I think that Duesenberg's introduction of four-wheel hydraulic brakes was quite revolutionary. Virtually every car today has them.

The Cord L29 was revolutionary with it's first use of front wheel drive in a production vehicle, and it introduced low slung styling that absolutely caught on. 

I supposed to VW beetle could be considered revolutionary, being the first subcompact econo box import to really catch on and sell in high volume.

Edited by Hemi Joel
Removed incorrect information (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Some other revolutionary American cars:

-The Model A wasn't as revolutionary as the Model T, but I think it's really important because Ford came up with a second home run in a row.

-The first gen. T-Bird was revolutionary;  it showed how appealing the two seater format could be to the US public at large. Not everyone could buy one, but everyone wanted one.

-1955 Chevy because of the small block.

-Oh, and the '32 Ford for obvious reasons.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hemi Joel said:

I think that Duesenberg's introduction of four-wheel hydraulic brakes was quite revolutionary. Virtually every car today has them.

The Cord L29 was revolutionary with it's first use of front wheel drive in a production vehicle, and it introduced low slung styling that absolutely caught on. The 36-37 Cords were revolutionary in being the first car to have a rear hinged, one piece hood.

I supposed to VW beetle could be considered revolutionary, being the first subcompact econo box import to really catch on and sell in high volume.

What year did duesenberg first released the 4 wheel hydraulic brakes?

In addition to those already named...

For early stuff (1890s), can't forget Panhard. First car with engine in front, driving the rear wheels. Set the standard for the next 100 years. 

Chevrolet 490. Just a wee bit fancier than a Model T. The beginning of the importance of styling and of the GM system taking over the Ford system. The car itself wasn't all that special, but its positioning and marketing revolutionized the industry. 

Step-down Hudsons. Pretty much how all subsequent cars were made. GM's V8s got all the credit, but Hudson was responsible for the other half of what became the standard modern car later in the 1950s (perimeter frames, lower body styles, the beginning of modern interior layout, handling and performance in a postwar American car, etc.)

Toyota Corolla. The Model T of the 1990s. 

• Like 1

Hydraulic brakes for Chrysler was 1924.  I’d add the 1925 Essex to the list, since it did much to make closed cars the rule vs. the exception.  I don’t agree at all with the Cyber Truck, but the Tesla Model S did a lot to popularize the modern electric car and show it as viable.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Craig

I'd add Edward Deming and Lee Iaccoca

21 hours ago, rocketraider said:

The early-60s GM Y-body cars. F85, Tempest, Special, and Corvair. Each had its own radically advanced for the time engineering.

Also the Oldsmobile Toronado, for proving front wheel drive could be successfully adapted to a full-size high horsepower car.

I would put Corvette in there. Also, VW Beetle. 

Glenn, If I hadn't been so stubborn and prejudiced, today that list of yours might have been my collection today.