What’s in your garage

Jack Bennett

I just finished responding to the thread which asks “What are your winter projects”, or something along that train of questioning.

As I wrote my response, I realized the value of having a attached garage on my home, and the luxury it provides as related to my old machine habit.

The first thing, after basic reassembly of the rolling chassis is completed, is the undertaking if steps necessary to restore the ability of my project to move under its own power.

This does add a element of difficulty to completion of the project, inclusive of niceties such as body paint and upholstery.

But, it makes it possible to rotate projects between the garage, the driveway and the back yard, commensurate with what I’m doing on the project at the minute.

The 1923 DB Roadster is the only resident member of my little machine club, who lives in, and is a fixture in my garage. The Willys has his own car port for cover, the Plymouth is sealed against the weather, and happily lives in the driveway. The tractor is quite the macho member of the club, he lives outside, and would move back there on it’s own (it refuses to be castrated by seeking shelter) if I tried moving it inside. The 1929 Fargo rests comfortably on the patio concrete pad and the F-250 chooses to watch over them all from his place behind the motor home.

So, the only other obstacle to bringing my old car projects inside is my daily driver, a KIA Sportage, which is continually in-and-out of the garage.

But, as I cruise the hood on nicer days, I see a new Mercedes, a pricy BMW or a classy. Audie parked in the driveway, and a garage filled, floor to ceiling and front to rear with boxes and bags of stuff and furniture which appears to date from the 1970’s or 1980’s. It is only imaginary, but I can use my X-ray vision to see all the DOS 5.0 floppy discs and the priceless 8 track tapes (for which the player was destroyed in 1971) comfortably awaiting the time they are recalled to use. And, while the cushions of the furniture brings back memories of GMA and GPA, during their 1950’s Christmas visit, their filling was converted to rat poop decades ago.

So, as you toil on that brake job, on the sloped driveway, in temperatures which makes the water seeping down your pants rear feel colder than ice………..What’s in your garage preventing you from using it as a “garage”?

Jack

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have strict rules on this and there are currently 5 cars in the garage with lathes, mills and other "necessaries? Ther is an attached work space with benches cluttered with semi complete projects. Now despite the "strict rule" there is garbage the female in the house just dumps in any convenient spot just to be sure it annoys me - Christmas decorations, boxes of books, stuff her kids were about to bin but are "sentimental" and other boxed of stuff I would send to the tip or charity shop. She is on the other side of the country for the next few weeks so I will use some magic on some of this, so it "disappears".

There is a whole separate single car garage at the back of the yard for storage and garden stuff, with room for the muck she puts into my space!

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

A three car garage houses 1969 Corvette, 1939 Chevy JC pickup, zero turn mower and side by side ATV, upper level is storage.  Attached two bay garage houses daily drivers,  upper level is wood shop and machines.

A separate two bay high door shop houses my metal machine tools and lift, attached three door unit houses horse trailer, tractor and associated farm equipt, attached two wide high bay garage houses 55 Olds, 55 Buick, 57 buick and a camping trailer.

A separate four box stall stable houses one aging mare, a feed room and a small tribe of well fed barn cats.

Nothing is left out side save the manure spreader..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Fordy said:

I have strict rules on this and there are currently 5 cars in the garage with lathes, mills and other "necessaries? Ther is an attached work space with benches cluttered with semi complete projects. Now despite the "strict rule" there is garbage the female in the house just dumps in any convenient spot just to be sure it annoys me - Christmas decorations, boxes of books, stuff her kids were about to bin but are "sentimental" and other boxed of stuff I would send to the tip or charity shop. She is on the other side of the country for the next few weeks so I will use some magic on some of this, so it "disappears".

There is a whole separate single car garage at the back of the yard for storage and garden stuff, with room for the muck she puts into my space!

Steve

Hi Fordy……I too have strict rules governing my workspace, in this case, my garage, and I perpetually maintain it in a high state of orderliness.

Sadly, since my wife passed, I have no one else to credit with the exquisite display of automotive clutter which may be experienced there at any time of day or night.

I do attempt to keep my tools in the “tool” place and my parts in their respective “parts” place, but I also continually strive to keep my garage a quiet place to relax, and as free from workplace discrimination as possible.

That means that I cannot differentiate between the potential value of a square nut over one born an octagon, or whether a fine thread is superior to a coarse thread. Consequently, my shafts do, occasionally, get mixed with my bearings, and keeping them separated is a job in itself, easily put off for another time.

While this task is extremely difficult, it is also exceedingly pleasing, when it is considered that my bolts love to be wrenched, and my screws love to be hammered, and they are all learning to help me keep the cars in a rigid state of maintenance.

I function on the premise that anyone who comes into my living space either wants to sell me something or is a welcomed friend.

I no longer need, or want to buy anything from a salesman, and a true friend is glad to see that a old coot can still move a trolley jack from one end of the garage to the other…….without their help.

Jack

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JACK M said:

This is how it should be.

A good shed is mandatory PRIOR to the acquisition of the toys.

At least a shed or a concrete pad to reduce the water bill and wear and tear on the washing machine. 
Side note here……..When are you coming to Tacoma to visit the Fargo Panel you passed up. 
I have the body and engine compartment stripped down, have the generator, starter, distributor, and clutch operational.
I have determined the truck has the Dodge Senior-Continental engine, which is still froze up, but in a optimistic moment, have ordered the new head gasket and am ready to drop the pan, gain access to the bottom of the starter ring gear, and try to spin it over.

Jack

• Like 1

My rule from the first house that had a garage was, every day drivers stay outside, the garage is a shop for shop projects and tools. For over 50 years the wife has put up with that.  She got a carport on the second house, lost full time use of carport on 3rd house, but can park in it when she is willing to walk the extra distance. We did move to a location that gets a lot less snow.  I mostly have followed a second rule of don't buy more than will fit in existing buildings.  Broke the rule for a couple of years and had to rent an extra 2 car garage. That rental had me form a rule for rentals.  If at all possible pay rent for a year or as long as you plan to stay if less.  Wasn't long after I put to cars away for the Winter the owner tried to jackup the rent, a lot, I pointed out I was paid up for a year and he backed off. I moved out by the time the rent was due.  Only space I have rented since was for campers and trailers for the Winter and always paid for the whole Winter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fordy said:

Steve

😄😁

Ben

• Like 1

My garage in the house has 2 daily drivers and my gas powered UTV/Golfcart/Runabout,  all with power garage

doors, a work bench and enough tools to do what's necessary.    150 feet away is my shop/Barn  with 6 & 1/8

finished antique cars and a motorcycle.   The 150 feet in distance is OK, but the 40 feet of lower elevation makes

the UTV a must.  Plus it's 800 feet to the mailbox, down another 85 ft of Elev.. at the end of the driveway 

It's insulated, heated, has a lift, a office suite, full bath, my tools and space that was built for our former

motorhome, plus two carports and separate room for outdoor equipment.  It has two 10' X 8' power doors and a

10' X 11.5' manual set of motorhome doors.   Because of my collections of signs and General Store stuff, it has

the front of a General Store inside the gable end.   Feels like a museum.

I love it, but @ 78 the home, Barn and acreage are getting to be to much with my two failed knee replacements

knees.   We're talking about moving to a 55+ community to a 3 car garage home.   One for a single daily driver

one for an antique car and one for the UTV/Golfcart.    I refuse to live the American dream with $400 worth of

junk in the garage and $40,000+ worth of automobiles in the driveway.

Now the problem is what to keep?    Good thing we're just thinking about it.   I dread actually doing it.

DJI_0060.JPG

IMG_E0843.JPG

IMG_E0711.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Added Pictures (see edit history)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

In my garage there is 2 kennels with German Shepherds, a 500 gallon water tank, racks of canned goods and small kitchen appliances.

My shop has 3 cars, wood working tools, metal shaping tools, electronic repair stuff, 2 air compressors, racks of parts from the 1890s - 1960s, painting supplies, and a laundry sink.

In the shop office besides the desk and computer there is book shelves, a futon with pillow and a 3/4 bath, there is also a sign that says "Caution I have a gun, a shovel and a solid alibi". 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My garage has my 40 Chevy, 53 Packard Clipper and 87 MCB 560 SL. My wife’s 2015 DD SUV sits outside. She’s not too happy about that arrangement. However, I did just buy her a good sized backyard garden shed for all her garden equipment. 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I've got a small 2 car garage.  One side has the trash bins & yard stuff.  The other side is car parts & tools.  That leaves the middle which is working space for projects in the summer and parking for the daily in the winter.  At the moment it's filling up with boxes of Christmas lights before they go out on the trees.

The '65 Chrysler is tucked away for the winter in the carport at my girlfriend's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Growing up we had a large 2 car garage that was my dads quasi wood shop, and otherwise junk storage area. In my 20 years of living at home a car never came close to getting in there. As an adult I cannot figure why people leave their cars sit outside. Mine have always been in a garage. I even keep my work truck in a garage (I call it the barn). Even as much as I have the ole benz that hasnt been on the road for 8 years now parked beside the work truck. I think one day it will be a 'barn find', LOL. The garage is pretty much my domain, but my wife would have a fit if I made her park her car outside.

52934678358_502f60a2f2_c.jpg2023-05-29_07-27-29 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 8

My radiant heated home shop addition has a small lathe, drill press, 2 buffers, a grinder, a large work bench and 2 stacked toolboxes.  It can hold 5 cars, but currently holds only a 1913 Overland Speedster (on the lift being stored for a friend), and my 1913 Buick Touring car next to the lift.   Our daily drivers live in the two car garage that came with the house.

The 40 X 60 metal Buick barn is 10 blocks away at my daughter's place.  It has a bathroom with hot/cold water and no heat except in the separate 20 X 20 lounge area.  It has two work benches, 2 toolboxes, a large grinder/wire-wheel, and 2 lifts.  It currently holds my son's 1929 Buick sedan, 1924 Buick Roadster Truck, 1915 Buick Speedster, 1931 Buick Sedan, and my Shaw Duall Tractor.  Everything runs, drives, & stops & all need routine maintenance and now need preparation for winter storage.   It also holds my daughter and son-in-law's camp trailer and his motorcycle.  The loft is where most of the family excess is stored.  

I have been very lucky to have storage for my car collection and a warm place to work in winter months or when it is raining.

Shop with Front Door Open.jpg

Buick Barn.JPG

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Side note here……..When are you coming to Tacoma to visit the Fargo Panel you passed up. 

I get up that way a few times a year, I will let you know next time I head up that way.

I lived in Lakewood for a short time in the 60s, went to Clover Park for a while.

Due to the unexpected purchase of a 1932 Dictator, my Tacoma now sits outside in the weather for the first time since I bought it in 2004. Garage space is a coveted in cold climates as it saves the electricity used to plug the vehicle in and who likes sweeping snow and scraping the ice off the windshield?  Another shop building is in planning but still far in the future.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ddavis said:

Due to the unexpected purchase of a 1932 Dictator, my Tacoma now sits outside in the weather for the first time since I bought it in 2004. Garage space is a coveted in cold climates as it saves the electricity used to plug the vehicle in and who likes sweeping snow and scraping the ice off the windshield?  Another shop building is in planning but still far in the future.

👏

My 4 1934 Mopars (two Plymouths, two Dodges) are crammed into my garage along with more parts and tools than I should ever have.  One golden, unbreakable rule:  There always needs to be a space IN the garage to keep my wife's car out of the teeth of the Southern California Winters (and Springs, Summers and Falls).  Roll it outside if I need the space to work but back in at the end of the day, only way to keep peace in the house.

• Like 3

My heated car barn has only running and driving cars. Presently, from oldest to newest,

1906 Reo 2 cylinder totally restored

1915 Gallivan powered model t roadster

1929 Cadillac Dual Cowl Phaeton (Totally Original)

1930 Ford Model A Phaeton restored 

1941 Cadillac convertible sedan restored

1994 Ferrari 348 spyder original only 21,000 miles

In another building,

1977 Ford Ranchero original unrestored only 41,000 miles

In my restoration building,

1913 Oakland Raceabout under total restoration, should be finished late summer 2024

Still looking for a mid 50' to late 60's Ferrari project

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Picture1.jpg.02b50947b6bfaa67825f4498b1f5d629.jpg

Not shown is my '56 Chevy parked in front of the '38 Buick...

I'm liking that '67 Rivi!  There's a fellow ROA member, Woody Combs, who owns a 'Riviera Red' one.  '67 was one of the most stylish Rivi's in my opinion. 

• Like 2

I have limited myself to Hudson products. I have a 1925 speedster project that I'm collecting parts for, a '29 rumble seat coupe, a '36 4dr sedan, a '40 2dr sedan, a '41 coupe that has been a (drag) race car since 1965, and the current, active project, '54 Hornet coupe. A mill, lathe, welders, blasting cabinets, two four post lifts, (one is outside). All in a 45'x65' building in the back yard. The daily drivers are in the three car garage attached to the house.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

My heated car barn has only running and driving cars. Presently, from oldest to newest,

1906 Reo 2 cylinder totally restored

1915 Gallivan powered model t roadster

1929 Cadillac Dual Cowl Phaeton (Totally Original)

1930 Ford Model A Phaeton restored 

1941 Cadillac convertible sedan restored

1994 Ferrari 348 spyder original only 21,000 miles

In another building,

1977 Ford Ranchero original unrestored only 41,000 miles

In my restoration building,

1913 Oakland Raceabout under total restoration, should be finished late summer 2024

Still looking for a mid 50' to late 60's Ferrari project

just sayin'

brasscarguy

What's is a Raceabout?  is it series 35, 40, 42, 60?  Photo?

My garage looks cluttered, and I guess it is, but when you have a small space and can't extend or spread, it's what ya' do, lol. Front and rear views on different days, then the Mini was taken back to the under house spot  to keep the Studebaker company. .....( this pic is before Karen started painting the house blue, lol. )

DSCN3096.JPG

DSCN3039.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

• Like 4