Restorer32

57 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I have a photo but will not post it. 

I think that not posting accident pictures is the

right and discrete way.  But was it indeed the

green car, or some other Locomobile?  Do you

know the year and model and color, and how

much it was damaged?

How many Locomobiles were at Hershey this year?

Sometimes there are a few.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ed is just Ed, and many here love him for it. However, some here are also are concerned about any real antique or collector car seriously damaged in any sort of an accident. Some of us are also concerned about the perception that other people have of our antiques when they are involved in serious accidents. And we care about our friends (even if they are antique automobile "friends" we have not yet met?) that may have been injured in such accidents.

Sometimes there are reasons that certain information or photos cannot be shared. So I will not press the issue.

Some people may want to know if the car or the people are ones they know? Most that do know them, will most likely find out soon enough. I know that I have been in that position a few times myself.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I have a photo but will not post it. Fortunately no one was hurt. 1000 to one that they walked away.  

I agree with Ed, if the folks who were involved in the incident want to post a picture of the accident damage, that’s their prerogative. Why can’t it be enough to know that they were able to walk away? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I also have a pic of the car… wounded on a flatbed… and will leave it to the owner to post if he desires.  The news I got is that driver and passengers came out without serious injuries. Great car and great owner. Very happy to hear all are well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I have a photo but will not post it. Fortunately no one was hurt. 1000 to one that they walked away.  

I agree. If the owner wants to publish a photo that is his choice. For others, it's just morbid curiosity.

• Like 2

Photos notwithstanding, it seems like we are hearing of an abnormal number of these events lately. Where it ceases to be morbid curiosity is in the circumstances surrounding the accidents  so that we may take the lessons learned so that we aren’t next.  The number of these are beginning to take away my enthusiasm for touring.

Glad to hear they are alright and my hopes that the owner rebuilds or passes it along to someone who will.

Edited by mechanician (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In respect of Mechacian's comment .

Consider the effect of social media on the reporting of such claims. Prior to this forum , I never would have heard about this accident or any of the other prominent ones that have been posted here in the past.  It might simply be that you now have access to information that you would never have had prior to this. Perhaps the cause of the loss of enthusiasm is the result of too much information! It's always been the same risk, you are just no longer blissfully ignorant😁

It would be an interesting question for Hagerty  or JC Taylor on what their actuaries tell them on trending accident rates in the collectable / antique world. You can bet they'll know and it will be reflected in the rates they are charging you.

I don't think there are any new lessons. Newtonian mechanics is unforgiving. Drive like everyone around you is an idiot ( because they surely think you are!). Know you and your vehicle's limitations ( and accept you will inevitably forget at some point and be the idiot ) 

Bottom line: by modern standards, prewar cars are not remotely safe , early post war cars are only slightly safer , 60's 70's cars meh , modern cars very safe  but you will always be safer getting in an airplane or even better  by ditching old cars , taking up skydiving as hobby and jumping out of them.

40,000 annual traffic deaths per year in the US should make you think about risk acceptance before you get in any automobile let alone a vintage one.

Vacating the soapbox for now!

• Like 3

Sad that it got wrecked and happy that all are ok. And yes the owners and only the owners are the ones to post a picture if they see fit.

Reality is that modern drivers do not take into account the limitations antiques have on stopping distances etcetera. We can all putt-putt around as defensively as we like and we still will fail to take into account the idiot behind the wheel of his fuel injected ABS assisted plastic lump of $#@! who comes out of nowhere.

Steve

• Like 5

Accidents happen. Driving ANY car can get into an accident. My neighbor just had an accident in a BRAND NEW 2023 Ford Pickup that had less than 500 miles on it. His truck is TOTALED-way worse than this Locomobile! And he spent three days in a local hospital because the truck's cab was crunched.

You take your chance every time you leave your house-whether you take your old car or your new car.

I'll take my chance! And I'll have fun driving my old cars.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the owner would not want photos of the wrecked car to be shown, as it could possibly affect the value of it no matter how well it was repaired. I suspect, though, that if there were enough people crowding around and taking photos, that sooner or later, the cat will be out of the bag.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the owner would not want photos of the wrecked car to be shown, as it could possibly affect the value of it no matter how well it was repaired. I suspect, though, that if there were enough people crowding around and taking photos, that sooner or later, the cat will be out of the bag.

Not accusing anyone here, but if this car were to come up for sale, I would think a potential buyer would want to know about the accident, extent of damage and the repair process. Not saying anything seems rather shady.

On the not showing photos of the wreck, can someone please explain why it's ok to take and post multiple photos of a car at a show, cruise, etc. but not ok to post a photo of one that's been in an accident?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

George, you make a point but try this scenario on:  you take a picture of a person, famous or otherwise and post it somewhere.  If that same person was injured in an accident would it be acceptable to snap a picture of them in that condition or in the hospital without their permission.  I don't think so, it is not the end of the world that we do not get to see the damage nor is it necessary for life to go on.  The fact that a professional restorer says it can be fixed is comforting and the fact that no one was seriously hurt.  I like a lot of people am curious to the damage and which car as my best buddy is a Locomobile expert and have grown up in the hobby being around these cars. I guess my curiosity will not be satisfied and I can live with that...

You are right that full disclosure is the right thing to do but a good restorer will make it better than new.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

Not accusing anyone here, but if this car were to come up for sale, I would think a potential buyer would want to know about the accident, extent of damage and the repair process. Not saying anything seems rather shady.

On the not showing photos of the wreck, can someone please explain why it's ok to take and post multiple photos of a car at a show, cruise, etc. but not ok to post a photo of one that's been in an accident?

The disclosure of accident damage should be incumbent on the seller.  One would hope that a buyer will perform an inspection or have a professional appraisal.  Either way, the subject of past accident damage should be considered.  I’m speaking hypothetically here, but a sale of a vehicle where damages were not disclosed or worse yet, denied, would be fraudulent.  I wouldn’t post pictures of someone else’s vehicle accident damage due to possible litigation between the parties involved and/or their respective insurance carriers. Better to let the owner make that choice.

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Because the owner purposely brought it to a place where he knew it would be photographed. Simply participating in such an even is giving tacit approval to others taking pictures. I don't see how that applies to this situation.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone seems to be clutching their pearls in shock that a picture of a damaged car might be ( GASP ) posted on a public site. It's a car. It can be repaired. If someone was badly injured or killed It might be a question of local sensitivity but certainly not morals or ethics.

It would be of interest and possible benefit  to most here to know the details of how and why the accident happened, and no, it would not be "morbid curiosity" but it could easily alert the rest of us to possible dangers and increase our awareness of them.

A picture of the damaged car would aid in that understanding..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Makes no difference. If it's in a public place, it's a free-for-all in regard to legality. There's nothing that prevents the posting of such photos other than ethics and morals.

Right...and the fact that it's legal doesn't make it ethical. Given a choice, I'd come down on the ethical side. Lots of things are legal that aren't either ethical or moral. I find the popular fascination with pouncing on other people's travails to be both unethical and immoral.

Some sort of reliable report on what happened here may, eventually, be useful to others but you aren't going to get that from a lot of mindless internet chatter that will likely do more to cloud the issue than clarify it.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For hundreds of photos of cars (teens through sixties) that were in collisions, have a look at the book "Antique Car Wrecks -- From Old Cars Weekly's 'Wreck of the Week' Photo Album."   Edited by John Gunnell, published 1990 by Krause Publications, 222 pages.  Several copies now available on abebooks.com, likely elsewhere as well.  Perusing the photos prompts appreciation for the safety technology in our modern vehicles.  

14 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Makes no difference. If it's in a public place, it's a free-for-all in regard to legality. There's nothing that prevents the posting of such photos other than ethics and morals.

Ethics and morals seem to be in short supply these days.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Everyone seems to be clutching their pearls in shock that a picture of a damaged car might be ( GASP ) posted on a public site. It's a car. It can be repaired. If someone was badly injured or killed It might be a question of local sensitivity but certainly not morals or ethics.

It would be of interest and possible benefit  to most here to know the details of how and why the accident happened, and no, it would not be "morbid curiosity" but it could easily alert the rest of us to possible dangers and increase our awareness of them.

A picture of the damaged car would aid in that understanding..................Bob

Couldn’t agree more with you!!!!! 

• Thanks 2

So, to make sure there is no wild speculation I was just told (from someone who was there) the car was clipped in the rear sending it into the swale where it went on its side.  No driver error. Based on what I was told the picture will not help anyone understand how the accident occurred. Some idiot, distracted or tailgator had no respect for the car in front of them.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

So, to make sure there is no wild speculation I was just told (from someone who was there) the car was clipped in the rear sending it into the swale where it went on its side.  No driver error. Based on what I was told the picture will not help anyone understand how the accident occurred. Some idiot, distracted or tailgator had no respect for the car in front of them.

Sounds to me like a severe case of "driver error"! Just not the antique automobile driver's error. It has ever been thus, and ever shall it always be. No matter what a person does, it involves numerous elements of risk. A lot of those risks are totally beyond that person's control. Some choices of course involve greater risks than do others. And of course, some risks can be mitigated if one is paying close enough attention to everything around them. There are always unlikely risks that cannot be foreseen or simply avoided.

My wife recently told me about a news article online that a group of people were visiting in one's home. In the midst of friendly conversation, an airplane crashed through the roof of the home! In a couple major cities in California, stray bullets have been an almost daily occurrence! Try ducking that one at your dinner table. (And yes, a few innocent people in their homes have been killed by the gang shootings!)

I choose to not pretend I am safe, hiding in a back room. I prefer to confront the common risks face to face. I pay attention to all around me, and have managed to avoid a considerable number of idiots paying no attention whatsoever to their responsibilities. If I can ever break free of my family's neediness, I hope to go back to driving my antique automobiles often and far.

• Like 4

Although I don’t know the owner, I’m sure I would like him because he was driving a very cool car. Fact is there were two very young children in the car. Very young. There’s no need to add to the drama of a tragedy by posting photos. I have it on a very good authority that it was strictly a case of the antique car being a victim of a modern driver speeding and not paying attention. Let this one go fellas. We want people with their children to participate in a hobby. I for one very much enjoyed seeing the young folks on tour.

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, edinmass said:

We want people with their children to participate in a hobby. I for one very much enjoyed seeing the young folks on tour.

We all need to encourage parents and grandparents to take the younger people to old car events - be they displays, tours or even just a club gathering for a lunch. This will set the tone for all to realize what fun old cars can be. If you are at an event and see friends in the club who have a newer car see if they would like to have their kids sit in your car with running boards! it will be something they will never forget- answer their questions too.

I have a friend in our local Buick Club who has 3 sons all the same age, he has cars in the mid 1960s. When he came over I told him to bring his sons, he did and I told them before they left that all had to sit in the font and rear seats of my 1930 and 1940 cars. they had a great time. Young folk will be polite because they know their parents or grandparents have the cars too and respect them and the cars.

It is playing forward the enthusiasm to keep the cars alive, keep the hobby alive keep the spirit of history alive.

• Like 7

I was six years old when I went on a HCCA steam tour out on Cape Cod………..that one event set the course for my entire life………..share your hobby with everyone………young and old. It’s been a fantastic journey for over fifty years. 

• Like 5