So the Wife comes home and says....

Dandy Dave

13 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

So the wife comes home and says "Honey I bought an old car today!" 

Am I the only one who got a lump in my leg upon reading this?

Of course my leg went limp upon seeing the Morris, but I digress... ;) 

In all seriousness though, that's exciting, hope she has a ton of fun with it.

Very cool!

• Like 2

Should be a lot of fun and easy to maintain. There is lots available ex UK to keep them running at their best. Plus, the way gas prices are going it is a cheap beast to run.

Steve

• Like 2

Tim:
[Upset over Jill's new car] It's a shocker. I don't know what to say.

Jill:
How about saying that you're really happy that I got the car I wanted?

Tim:
Alright, I... I'm... IT'S BRITISH. These people made a fighter plane out of wood. They put kidneys in pies for God's sakes.

image.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

"Honey I bought an old car today." 🙂 It's home now. 1959 Morris Miner Convertible. 

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

Nice, Dave!  Have not seen one in a long time.

• Like 2

Dad had one of those on his used car lot in the late 1970’s and I really thought it looked like fun but he wound up selling it shortly before I got a learners permit… I was kinda sad about that but he didn’t think it was safe as a first car.

it still looks like a fun car and I hope your wife has a blast with it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies folks. Even the funny ones. I'm chasing a few of those Lucas gremlins around. ( I expected nothing less.) Once those are sorted it should have no problem passing inspection. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A few more photos. It's very solid with it's original floors. My wife's dad had one a bit older way back when and she has always wanted one. She played in it as a child. It is still around but in a bad state of disrepair. Her brother took it apart and left it outside to rust. A real sore spot in the family and is not discussed as it upsets her dad to no end. The Top secret mission is for her to show up with this car one day soon and give her Dad a ride around the neighborhood in it or let him drive it even if he wishes. He has not been told about it so it should be a very pleasant surprise.

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6524.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dave,

Tell us what year model it is.   Never remember one with a curved windshield.   

I have a cousin with a bunch of them, was President of the Morris Minor Club of the Netherlands.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Dave,

Tell us what year model it is.   Never remember one with a curved windshield.   

I have a cousin with a bunch of them, was President of the Morris Minor Club of the Netherlands.

At the top in the first post, first line I wrote. " 1959 Morris Minor convertible." I can add it is a model 1000 Traveler. 

12 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I may have a picture of that car from when it lived in Hamlin, NY about 35 years ago.

It spent time in the Hamptons in Long Island I was told Burnie.

1959 was the first year for the curved windshield.  The rear window was enlarged as well on the sedan.

The first series Minors had a 918 cc 27.5 horsepower flathead inherited from the prewar Minor.  Second series Minors had the 803 Cc ohv engine.  The third series is the 1000.

The Traveler was the station wagon.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:58 AM, Dandy Dave said:

Thanks for all the replies folks. Even the funny ones. I'm chasing a few of those Lucas gremlins around. ( I expected nothing less.) Once those are sorted it should have no problem passing inspection. Dandy Dave! 

Inspection? It needs an inspection? Why would it need an inspection?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Inspection? It needs an inspection? Why would it need an inspection?

Because New York State is greedy and all registered cars need one to be on the road. The Guys at the inspection station usually laugh when I bring the 1915 Buick. Check the brakes on the right front wheel and sure enough there aren't any there just like it came from the factory. You pass. Here's your sticker. 10 bucks please. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Check the brakes on the right front wheel and sure enough there aren't any there just like it came from the factory.

At least they don't actually have to pull the wheel to make that determination!  How long did they search for the OBD2 port...?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, EmTee said:

At least they don't actually have to pull the wheel to make that determination!  How long did they search for the OBD2 port...?

LOL. Never bothered to look. 🙃

On 10/4/2023 at 10:15 PM, Dandy Dave said:

I can add it is a model 1000 Traveler. 

I thought the traveler was a woody type wagon for the Morris?

image.jpeg.36cce64f78d404487cf6de44db1741f9.jpeg

Steve

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Then what do they call the two door convertible? 

A "Factory" convertible - they were all 2 door and there are a lot around that have been faked - some poorly and some that it would be hard to tell. Windscreen header where the roof joins would be the giveaway. I am no expert but a Pal I am seeing tomorrow at a local swap meet is into them so I will seek some counsel from a more informed mind.

Steve

• Like 2

in high school auto shop back in 1967-68 one of the guys had a very hot 55 Chevy Bel Air hardtop and also a 62 Corvette with a big block in it. (neither were stock.) 

then one day he drives to school and into auto shop in his latest acquisition... a early '50s Morris convertible with the flathead. I thought that car was cool! I wonder if he still has it? as of the last reunion, he still has his 55 Chevy and the 62 Corvette.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)