GMC V 12 702 CI in WI $3,200

Hudsy Wudsy

3 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Clean it up .... do some detail work and put it on a trailer........take it to car shows. 

It probably weighs 800 pounds

Like this Merlin?!😃  Good Lawd... Notice there's a young buck at the controls, much like in the 1940s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Thought they were installed in some over-the-road tractors, but the gas mileage was so bad compared to Diesels that they didn't last long. Fascinating engine and sounds nasty. Imagine a GMC V6 muttering X2.

Actually, GM built about 5,000 of them between 1960 and 1966. A lot were used in fixed irrigation applications. The 637 cu in V8 replaced the 702 V8 at lower manufacturing cost for 1967.

• Like 2

Right, over the road tractor engine.

But, there was an Oliver tractor, with extended frame, that came to the Field Day Of The Past in Rockville, VA with one nestled in it!

• Like 1

Sitting in extended frame Oliver tractor at Field Day Of The Past 2016.

GMC V-12.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

there was one at the local crusher i spent some time looking over,interesting that it was v12 only block and crank .......and used the v6 parts for the rest........much like the Detroit v12 diesels did......even the the blowers were twin v6 on the Detroits

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

there was one at the local crusher i spent some time looking over,interesting that it was v12 only block and crank .......and used the v6 parts for the rest........much like the Detroit v12 diesels did......even the the blowers were twin v6 on the Detroits

The 702 was created using parts common with the 351 V6. (Do the math). Only the block and crank were unique to the V12.

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, rocketraider said:

Like this Merlin?!😃  Good Lawd... Notice there's a young buck at the controls, much like in the 1940s.

Not enough horsepower there Glenn. I prefer something else.

Curtiss Wright R3350 Turbo Compound Radial Engine Propeller CSU Testing

A few years on these in this application,

image.jpeg.33eecbfde0836f5b81fbf515ea949b37.jpeg

• Like 2

I should mention this. To those who have raced or built race cars or engines should know the name Ryan Falconer. Please read his history and fortunately for people in the greater Prescott AZ area Ryan moved his business here (Chino AZ.) from Ca. about the same time I moved from Ca. approx. ten years ago. So, the V-12 topic is something Ryan is good at among other engines that are built by his design.

falconer_v12.jpg

Welcome to Ryan Falconer Racing Engines! - Home

• Haha 1

Back to that Lincoln- one thing I remember about the car is that the Kindig team "corrected" the awkward and unbalanced rear wheel openings on it. Had Edsel Ford been alive in the late 1950s the Kindig work is the way it would have been built.

Given Edsel's design talent and sensibilities, that horrorshow of tortured sheetmetal and scallops would have never made it out of the styling studio.

Sooner or later a 30s V12 will chime in!

Big multiple cylinder engines are always fascinating. I'll hazard a guess the GMC V12 may have been one of the last, if not the last, roadgoing regular production multi-cylinder engines produced. The Falconer and Aussie LS V12s are narrow niche markets.

50 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Sooner or later a 30s V12 will chime in!

Big multiple cylinder engines are always fascinating. I'll hazard a guess the GMC V12 may have been one of the last, if not the last, roadgoing regular production multi-cylinder engines produced. The Falconer and Aussie LS V12s are narrow niche markets.

The GMC V12 is 1960~1965.

Depends if you are asking about big (truck-heavy machinery) or car/super car.  F1 racing and the like a different category.

Toyota 1967-2017 ---->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GZ_engine

Jaguar 1971- 1997---->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_V12_engine  Portably highest production numbers

Aston Martin 1999-now-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_V12_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V12_engine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:V12_engines  (does not list the GMC V12, being a derivative of the V6)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Big multiple cylinder engines are always fascinating. I'll hazard a guess the GMC V12 may have been one of the last, if not the last, roadgoing regular production multi-cylinder engines produced.

I assume you mean from domestic manufacturers (though what does that even mean anymore?)

Jaguar V12s were produced through 1997

Toyota made a V12 for JDM consumption through 2017

BMW made V12s through 2022 (and still does for their Roll Royce line)

Mercedes, Ferrari, and Lamborghini still make V12s

Of course there are V10s like the Ford and Dodge Viper and truck motors.

And let's not forget the W12 and W16 motors from VW.

maxresdefault.jpgca302262-01-bugatti_w16-e1659194710835-1

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 3